GDT Game 2: 4/19/14 > Blues v Hawks > 2:00 PM > NBC/Y98

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

sseagle
All-Star
All-Star

Re: GDT Game 2: 4/19/14 > Blues v Hawks > 2:00 PM > NBC/Y98

Post by sseagle »

Thats 10 games...
Official Chatzy Sponsor Extraordinaire - Just wait till we score four...

Official Sponsor of FlashChat.. why am I alone still?

sseagle
All-Star
All-Star

Post by sseagle »

HOLLLLY SHIT!

beat2life
Rookie
Rookie

Post by beat2life »

sseagle wrote:HOLLLLY SHIT!

Nyghtewynd
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by Nyghtewynd »

End of regulation comments:

Before the hits, you were just going to have to shrug your shoulders...all three CHI goals were fluky, STL was the better team throughout, there's not much you can do about it, it's hockey, win game 3 in Chicago. But now it's crazy. I would expect Seabrook to get multiple games for the hit on Backes. Frankly, Bickell should also be suspended from game 3 for a combination of the elbow to Oshie's head and the knee-to-knee hit on Sobotka. After the major, though, you're like...you can't make excuses if you can't score when you have the last 4:30 of the game on PP. That shot from Tank was WICKED.

So now it's overtime again, and an absolute crapshoot. At least we got this far.
dhabums wrote:You and your buddies here are a joke and most of this site knows it.
Sponsor of Having A Real Good Time, Happy Pony, and all those who suffer from being right all the time.

sseagle
All-Star
All-Star

Post by sseagle »

Nyghtewynd wrote:End of regulation comments:

Before the hits, you were just going to have to shrug your shoulders...all three CHI goals were fluky, STL was the better team throughout, there's not much you can do about it, it's hockey, win game 3 in Chicago. But now it's crazy. I would expect Seabrook to get multiple games for the hit on Backes. Frankly, Bickell should also be suspended from game 3 for a combination of the elbow to Oshie's head and the knee-to-knee hit on Sobotka. After the major, though, you're like...you can't make excuses if you can't score when you have the last 4:30 of the game on PP. That shot from Tank was WICKED.

So now it's overtime again, and an absolute crapshoot. At least we got this far.

I always find it to be amazing that the Blues have the rep of a dirty team... look at the (Frank) hawks!

sseagle
All-Star
All-Star

Post by sseagle »

FUIUUUUCK YES!~!!!!!!!!

sseagle
All-Star
All-Star

Post by sseagle »

OLD GLASS JACKMAN!

Seabrook gets at least 2 right?

Nyghtewynd
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by Nyghtewynd »

What a win. Great, GREAT effort by the boys tonight. It would have been really easy to look at those three fluky goals and just figure that it wasn't your night. But they won this one, and hopefully Backes will recover and Chicago will be missing a couple of guys to suspension. Win game 3 in Chicago and end this thing.
dhabums wrote:You and your buddies here are a joke and most of this site knows it.
Sponsor of Having A Real Good Time, Happy Pony, and all those who suffer from being right all the time.

heff
Rookie
Rookie

Post by heff »

I'm glad I took an aspirin before this one. Feels like a Pyrrhic Victory.

We'll rally around Steve Ott, and we will play good hockey.

Toasted Oates
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by Toasted Oates »

Legit guardianship of home ice. Hope 42 is OK. Noticed Toews chirping at him after Seabrook's hit. I hope to the gods old and new that he humbles himself in the handshake line when he sees our captain. I hope he looks him in the eye and I hope his head is down as much as possible for the rest of his career. Let's finish this in the basketball arena up there and put this "dynasty" six feet under.
2016-2017 LGB sponsor of your boy, goaltender Jake Allen and a center for Vladi Tarasenko (UPDATE: FOUND! Ryan O' Reilly. July 1, 2018).
2017-2018 LGB sponsor of a damn fine rearguard, Capt. Alex Pietrangelo.
2018-2019 LGB sponsor of the 2nd greatest Joel in Blues history, #6 Joel "Eddy" Edmundson.

not_a_wings_fan
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by not_a_wings_fan »

The more I watch the replay of the seabiscuit hit, the worse it looks. I kept trying to figure out how he could make that play, and I have nothing. It's a dirty, intent to injure, bush-league hit. He came all the way across the ice and put his shoulder on the helmet up on the boards at full speed.

There were several times I have seen Blues' players pull up or change their line in this series to avoid boarding/injury when hitting shithawks, apparently the respect doesn't go both ways.

That hit earned at least 5 games. It should have never been made.
Official 2008-2015 LGB Sponsor of Barret Jackman

Nyghtewynd
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by Nyghtewynd »

Has anyone found the radio calls for either of the OT winners online yet?

KPFBlue
3rd Line Grinder
3rd Line Grinder

Post by KPFBlue »

Toasted Oates wrote:Legit guardianship of home ice. Hope 42 is OK. Noticed Toews chirping at him after Seabrook's hit. I hope to the gods old and new that he humbles himself in the handshake line when he sees our captain. I hope he looks him in the eye and I hope his head is down as much as possible for the rest of his career. Let's finish this in the basketball arena up there and put this "dynasty" six feet under.
Ken Hitchcock regarding the hit, after the game:"Let the league handle it."

As happy as I am that we won Game 2, I'd have given up the entire series in that instant just to give Toews the Bertuzzi/Moore treatment. Glad our boys had more patience, but I pray they store that in their short-term memories. :twisted:
Official 2011-12 sponsor of Chris Stewart

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

I'm happy about the 2-0 lead, but.... if Backes is out for an extended time we may have won the battle but lost the war. The goals Chicago got were flukey as hell, at least #2 and #3, I missed #1. Can't fault Miller. We need to tighten up the power play a lot though. With fully 1/4th of the 3rd period a guaranteed power play, it should never have even gotten to OT. They're passing all over the place looking for a lane and then losing the puck way too often. When you have to claw back with under 2 minutes left--both game 1 and game 2--there will come a time where you can't claw back again. Take control of the power play, stop with the flukey shit and make someone pay for the hit on Backes.

Also, that bitch in the green blackhawks sweater who was shouting at Backes like he was in the wrong, I hope someone put her in her place.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

flyingnote38
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by flyingnote38 »

Winner!

Gutsy win again, a lot of heart.

Tarasenko!

Here's a PP thought.....SHOOT THE FRICKIN' PUCK!!!!!

Backes looked bad, wobbly on his feet. Seabrook should get 5, but will likely get one.

Remind me again why Cracknell and Porter weren't around in the regular season? Suddenly the 4th line is worth icing again.
2016-7 sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2017-8 sponsor of Tage Thompson
2018-9 sponsor of Ryan O'Reilly
2019-20 sponsor of old time hockey
2020-21 sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2021-22 sponsor of Pavel Buchnevich
2022-23 sponsor of Brayden Schenn
2023-24 sponsor of Justin Faulk

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

flyingnote38 wrote:Winner!

Gutsy win again, a lot of heart.

Tarasenko!

Here's a PP thought.....SHOOT THE FRICKIN' PUCK!!!!!

Backes looked bad, wobbly on his feet. Seabrook should get 5, but will likely get one.

Remind me again why Cracknell and Porter weren't around in the regular season? Suddenly the 4th line is worth icing again.
The PP looks absolutely awful. If not for Tarasenko's miracle seeing eye shot, I was sitting there when they announced the major on Shitbrook and thinking what difference would it make because not only were they not shooting the damn puck, they couldn't even keep it in the zone. Very close to going 0-9 on the PP which is unacceptable for any playoff team. Lucky as hell to pull out this win, and let's just hope Backes is nothing worse than just shaken up.

JesusNEVERexisted
All-Star
All-Star

Post by JesusNEVERexisted »

Another great nail biting win!

Just keep things grounded. The Blues could just as easily be down 2-0 but if they win Game 3 it's all over!

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

I bet JesusNeverExisted was praying Backes would get up on his own strength.

Jokes aside, a friend of mine strongly believes he's concussed. I agree. :facepalm:

sseagle
All-Star
All-Star

Post by sseagle »

glen a richter wrote:I bet JesusNeverExisted was praying Backes would get up on his own strength.

Jokes aside, a friend of mine strongly believes he's concussed. I agree. :facepalm:
I don't see a way that a human can take that hit and not be concussed, did you see when he got up to kick ass and looked like me after a bottle of bourbon?

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

sseagle wrote:
flyingnote38 wrote:
cardsfan04 wrote:Anybody know why this is 2-2-1-1-1 this year? I'm assuming it's because of the new playoff format. But, it used to be 2-3-2. Will rounds between teams of different divisions (and time zones) go back to 2-3-2?
I thought it has been 2-2-1-1-1 in the nhl for awhile
It's been 2-2-1-1-1 in the NHL for quite some time.. as it should be in EVERY sport.. 2-3-2 is not a home advantage at all.

here...

1993-94 - The NHL's playoff draw was conference-based rather than division-based. At the conclusion of the regular season, the top eight teams in each of the Eastern and Western Conferences qualified for the playoffs. The teams that finish in first place in each of the League's divisions were seeded first and second in each conference's playoff draw and were assured of home ice advantage in the first two playoff rounds.

The remaining teams were seeded based on their regular-season point totals. In each conference, the team seeded #1 played #8; #2 vs. #7; #3 vs. #6; and #4 vs. #5. All series were best-of-seven with home ice rotating on a 2-2-1-1-1 basis, with the exception of matchups between Central and Pacific Division teams. These matchups were played on a 2-3-2 basis to reduce travel. In a 2-3-2 series, the team with the most points could choose to start the series at home or on the road. The Eastern Conference champion faced the Western Conference champion in the Cup Final.

1994-95 - Same as 1993-94, except that in first, second or third-round playoff series involving Central and Pacific Division teams, the team with the better record had the choice of using either a 2-3-2 or a 2-2-1-1-1 format. When a 2-3-2 format was selected, the higher-ranked team also had the choice of playing games 1, 2, 6 and 7 at home or playing games 3, 4 and 5 at home. The format for the Stanley Cup Final remained 2-2-1-1-1.
http://www.nhl.com/ice/page.htm?id=25433
Wow, what rock have I been living under? I could have sworn we had a 2-3-2 series in the past couple of years.
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2016-2017 Official LGB Sponsor of Dmitri Jaskin
2017-2018 Official LGB Sponsor of Jake Allen