GDT Game 3: 4/21/14 > Blues @ Hawks > 7:30 PM > FSMW/CNBC

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

GDT Game 3: 4/21/14 > Blues @ Hawks > 7:30 PM > FSMW/CNBC

Post by dmiles2186 »

In honor of our Captain...

[youtube][/youtube]
BLUES at BLACKHAWKS

(St. Louis leads best-of-7 series, 2-0)

TV: CNBC, CBC, RDSI, FS-MW, CSN-CH

Big story: An already-intense rivalry got ratcheted up toward the end of Game 2 in this Western Conference First Round series when Chicago Blackhawks defenseman Brent Seabrook injured St. Louis Blues captain David Backes with an illegal hit.

"It's not retaliation," Blues coach Ken Hitchcock said Sunday of St. Louis' come-from-behind 4-3 overtime win. "We want to win, they want to win. [The] game's full of emotion. It's about playing your best. Whatever you have to do, you have to do. It's a nasty, physical, intense series. That's what playoff hockey's about. I'm sure they've got video of our guys taking runs at their guys. We've got video of their guys taking runs at us. It's the price you pay to win at this time of the year, especially when you have two really good teams going at it. This is what happens."

Not only are the defending Stanley Cup champions facing a two-game deficit in the series, but the Blackhawks will be without Seabrook, who was suspended Sunday for three games for the charging major against Backes. They're no strangers to coming back from tough odds in the Stanley Cup Playoffs, but winning Game 3 will be critical for the Blackhawks' title-defense hopes.

Team Scope:

Blues: The availability of Backes probably won't be determined until later in the day Monday, Hitchcock told reporters following a skate Sunday in St. Louis. If Backes is unable to play, his absence will affect St. Louis in all facets of the game.

"All I know is he's upright, that's about it right now," Hitchcock said. "I know one thing: He couldn't play [Sunday]."

Hitchcock labeled forward Vladimir Sobotka as "average" after an open-ice, knee-to-knee collision that sent Chicago forward Bryan Bickell to the penalty box a couple minutes before Seabrook hit Backes.

Blackhawks: Just as Chicago anticipated, the physicality is at a high level and might get cranked up even more Monday at United Center. That style most likely favors the Blues, who are known for doling out punishing body checks and swarming the puck on defense.

The Blackhawks won the Stanley Cup twice in four seasons by playing more of a puck-possession game. Their game usually centers on dominating time in the offensive zone, playing keep-away with the puck and crashing the net hard for rebounds or loose pucks.

That style has been missing too often in the first two games.

"I think we've done a decent job with getting chances, but we're playing a little too much on the perimeter," forward Brandon Saad said Sunday. "If we get pucks to the point and get guys to the net, then pucks seem to find their way in. So, from an offensive [point of view], being a forward, we've got to do that more often."

Not having Seabrook will hurt. He's Chicago's biggest defender, has a hard shot and is one of the best transition passers from the defensive zone. Without him, look for Sheldon Brookbank to enter the lineup.

Who's hot: Blues forward Vladimir Tarasenko has a goal in each game of the series, including the power-play goal with 6.4 seconds left in regulation in Game 2 that forced overtime, after missing the final 15 games of the regular season. ... Saad had an assist in Game 1 and two assists in Game 2 for the Blackhawks.

Injury report: St. Louis center Patrik Berglund (upper body) is still out. Right wing T.J. Oshie (upper body) returned for Game 2. … Chicago reports no injuries.

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

sseagle
All-Star
All-Star

Re: GDT Game 3: 4/21/14 > Blues @ Hawks > 7:30 PM > FSMW/CNB

Post by sseagle »

Keep our shit straight, keep grinding, score, skate, demoralize!
Let's go blues!!!
Official Chatzy Sponsor Extraordinaire - Just wait till we score four...

Official Sponsor of FlashChat.. why am I alone still?

gaijin
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by gaijin »

Hold the course. The crowd is going to be rowdy and obnoxious, and the Hawks are going to look to take advantage of that energy. Play good puck possession, make clean passes, and keep your heads on straight and your eyes up. :letsgoblues: :letsgoblues: :letsgoblues:

flyingnote38
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by flyingnote38 »

was interested to see how things would be spun here today in Chicago. At the least the media types have taken the approach that the Hawks have lost their composure and need to start playing Hockey rather than embrace the chippiness(or dirtiness if you will).

David Haugh admitted to being embarrassed by the Hawks behavior and pointed out that defending Seabrook's hit by saying Bickel's was worse doesn't really improve the situation any.

Talk radio's resident Hawk meat head expressed the opinion that he thought Seabrook might have gotten 1 or 2 games since (1) no priors and (2) the hit directly led to the Hawks losing the game, but acknowledged that he could see how others might consider 3 not enough. Seemed less that he was saying that Seabrook deserved less than that he hoped Seabrook would get less. No one suggested it was a clean hit.

Non Hawk meat heads (ie the football/baseball morning hosts) on the radio were trivializing the "wakey, wakey" angle.

I will call this a critical game (but will do so for every game for the rest of the season because well every game is critical). The Blues should post that picture of Seabrook on the locker room wall and pledge to make sure that he never sees the ice again this year.

also the 10 AM update they reported Backes as out for tonight. Any word on who is available tonight (Sobotka, Berglund, Morrow, Oshie?) from the Lou, I don't see a morning skate on the PD as yet.
2016-7 sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2017-8 sponsor of Tage Thompson
2018-9 sponsor of Ryan O'Reilly
2019-20 sponsor of old time hockey
2020-21 sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2021-22 sponsor of Pavel Buchnevich
2022-23 sponsor of Brayden Schenn
2023-24 sponsor of Justin Faulk

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

Looks like Berglund, Morrow are back. Roy is out, and Backes didn't suit up for practice.

[tweet][/tweet]

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

Best case scenario for tonight is we are up 4-0 and get to get vengeance without risking the outcome of the game.
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2016-2017 Official LGB Sponsor of Dmitri Jaskin
2017-2018 Official LGB Sponsor of Jake Allen

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

Just (Frank) these guys.

[tweet][/tweet]

Really, not once but twice, in the same game, he sticks his knee out at another guy's knee. And, let's be clear, that's not something that happens by accident. It's 100% dirty and 100% deliberate. If he doesn't think he's dirty, maybe he should reconsider what is clean and what is dirty.

[tweet][/tweet]

That's definitely not a denial. And, lack of a denial is essentially an admission in this case IMO, not that one was really needed. What an asshole.

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

cardsfan04 wrote:Best case scenario for tonight is we are up 4-0 and get to get vengeance without risking the outcome of the game.
I want them to go the opposite way. Just keep your head on straight, no retaliation, just win the game and put them against the ropes. You retaliate, you give them fire for Game 4, whether you win or lose tonight. It's a team that came back from a 3-1 deficit last year against Detroit to move on. I don't want them to have any extra motivation. The best retaliation is to send them packing as soon as possible.

And then next year, first game, start a line brawl. :mrgreen:

big d note
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by big d note »

dmiles2186 wrote:
cardsfan04 wrote:Best case scenario for tonight is we are up 4-0 and get to get vengeance without risking the outcome of the game.
I want them to go the opposite way. Just keep your head on straight, no retaliation, just win the game and put them against the ropes. You retaliate, you give them fire for Game 4, whether you win or lose tonight. It's a team that came back from a 3-1 deficit last year against Detroit to move on. I don't want them to have any extra motivation. The best retaliation is to send them packing as soon as possible.

And then next year, first game, start a line brawl. :mrgreen:
Agreed. The Blues came unglued against the Kings when Pietrangelo got hurt. Didn't help them any. They spent the rest of the series trying to hurt the Kings and pissed those games away.
Official Sponsor of Ray Barile
[Dooger] 9:10 am: That David [Backes] is a cool dude.
RIP Pavol Demitra - I hope you are "so hoppy" wherever you are now

heff
Rookie
Rookie

Post by heff »

If Backes is the heart of this team, everyone else's hearts will just have to get a little bigger to make up for it. Come out, metaphorically, swinging and lean on 'em. It's hostile territory, but if the guys can keep their composure I like our chances... and if Reaves can get a little one-on-one time with Toews or Keith while we're at it, it wouldn't hurt my feelings.

sseagle
All-Star
All-Star

Post by sseagle »

We are in their heads cause we haven't gotten rattled yet. Keep it that way and we can invite them to our parade in June.

flyingnote38
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by flyingnote38 »

Best revenge would be Backes starting his day with the cup about 3 am on Duncan Keith's front lawn with a bullhorn "Wakey, wakey douchebag"

As for worrying about revenge on ice...........WIN.

So far nothing has happened this series except the Blues holding serve, Backes getting hurt, and Seabrook getting suspended. Win tonight and they're on the ropes. Finish them off. Make Seabrook's next game be next year.
2016-7 sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2017-8 sponsor of Tage Thompson
2018-9 sponsor of Ryan O'Reilly
2019-20 sponsor of old time hockey
2020-21 sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2021-22 sponsor of Pavel Buchnevich
2022-23 sponsor of Brayden Schenn
2023-24 sponsor of Justin Faulk

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

This one is going to be brutal tonight.

Oh, and expect a roar of disapproval for every offsides, icing and penalty that goes against the Hawks. Because the NHL is arrayed against them as evidenced by the totally unjustified suspension of Seabrook on a legal hit :roll:
Official 2021-2022 LGB Sponsor of Torey Krug
Official 2021 LGB Sponsor of Brayden Schenn
Official 2018-2019 LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2018 LGB Playoff Challenge Champ
Official 2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
Official 2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Scottie Upshall
Official 2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk

sseagle
All-Star
All-Star

Post by sseagle »

flyingnote38 wrote:Best revenge would be Backes starting his day with the cup about 3 am on Duncan Keith's front lawn with a bullhorn "Wakey, wakey douchebag"

As for worrying about revenge on ice...........WIN.

So far nothing has happened this series except the Blues holding serve, Backes getting hurt, and Seabrook getting suspended. Win tonight and they're on the ropes. Finish them off. Make Seabrook's next game be next year.
That fool has no lawn.

Nyghtewynd
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by Nyghtewynd »

My id would be really happy to see Reeves on the opening faceoff absolutely try to take someone out. But I don't think this is the right approach. If you lose game 3, you have two days of "did the Seabrook hit turn the series to Chicago's favor?", and no one wants that. You get up 3-0, and it won't matter. Just play smart, tight hockey. Chicago is the team that's going to have to chase now. Let them chase, then score on the PP.
dhabums wrote:You and your buddies here are a joke and most of this site knows it.
Sponsor of Having A Real Good Time, Happy Pony, and all those who suffer from being right all the time.

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

I've always felt that game 3's are the pivotal games in any series regardless of how games 1 and 2 went. You can either take strong control, gain momentum or lose momentum dependent on the outcome of a game 3. 3-0 Blues is a lot better than 2-1 Blues with momentum to the home Hawks. I don't give a flying shit what the score is tonight as long as the bigger number belongs to the Blues. It can be 5-0 or 2-1 quadruple overtime, we need that 3-0 series lead.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

goon attack
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by goon attack »

dmiles2186 wrote:In honor of our Captain...

[youtube][/youtube]
I don't know if anything by these doucher commies would ever be considered an honor.
Official 2023-'24 Sponsor of: Dua Lipa, Craig Berube, and yoga pants

'22-'23: Kim Wexler; '21-'22: Slayyyter; '21: fat chicks and covid-19; '19-'20: Taco Bell's Spicy Tostada (discontinued); '18-'19: Bhad Bhabie; '17-'18 Pitbull.'16-'17: Donald J. Trump, Black Lives Matter, and Karlie Kloss; '15-'16: the Hadids; '14-'15: $17.8+ trillion U.S. national debt; '13-'14: another season of bitter disappointment; '13: communism; '11-'12: Vlad Sobotka and fake, drunken lesbianism; '10-'11: Ryan Reaves, Bo Derek's cans, Willow Palin, and the new Lightning logo; '09-'10: the epic destruction of the Politics Forum; '08-'09: Sandy Miller

goon attack
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by goon attack »

and btw, it pissed me off more than anyone to hear Keith saying that crap, but will you fookin' pansies shut up with this internet outrage over it? Shit worse than that gets said all the damn time. If you want to watch choirboys, then put on some pink tutus and go watch ice dancing, you pansies. :facepalm:

Wakey Wakey Backes was indeed classeless... but it just made NHL lore. I suggest all Blues fans wear the shirt as a rallying point.
Official 2023-'24 Sponsor of: Dua Lipa, Craig Berube, and yoga pants

'22-'23: Kim Wexler; '21-'22: Slayyyter; '21: fat chicks and covid-19; '19-'20: Taco Bell's Spicy Tostada (discontinued); '18-'19: Bhad Bhabie; '17-'18 Pitbull.'16-'17: Donald J. Trump, Black Lives Matter, and Karlie Kloss; '15-'16: the Hadids; '14-'15: $17.8+ trillion U.S. national debt; '13-'14: another season of bitter disappointment; '13: communism; '11-'12: Vlad Sobotka and fake, drunken lesbianism; '10-'11: Ryan Reaves, Bo Derek's cans, Willow Palin, and the new Lightning logo; '09-'10: the epic destruction of the Politics Forum; '08-'09: Sandy Miller

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

goon attack wrote:and btw, it pissed me off more than anyone to hear Keith saying that crap, but will you fookin' pansies shut up with this internet outrage over it? Shit worse than that gets said all the damn time. If you want to watch choirboys, then put on some pink tutus and go watch ice dancing, you pansies. :facepalm:

Wakey Wakey Backes was indeed classeless... but it just made NHL lore. I suggest all Blues fans wear the shirt as a rallying point.
I get what you're saying, but I think it's just natural reaction. Captain gets hurt on dirty hit . . . in the playoffs . . . by a hated rival . . . and they laugh about it. I don't care what fanbase it is, the guy yelling Wakey Wakey is gonna get called out on message boards. There might be worse things said during the game by both teams (although this really was low), but him getting called out on message boards is just how it works IMO.

Oaklandblue
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Oaklandblue »

cardsfan04 wrote:
goon attack wrote:and btw, it pissed me off more than anyone to hear Keith saying that crap, but will you fookin' pansies shut up with this internet outrage over it? Shit worse than that gets said all the damn time. If you want to watch choirboys, then put on some pink tutus and go watch ice dancing, you pansies. :facepalm:

I get what you're saying, but I think it's just natural reaction. Captain gets hurt on dirty hit . . . in the playoffs . . . by a hated rival . . . and they laugh about it. I don't care what fanbase it is, the guy yelling Wakey Wakey is gonna get called out on message boards. There might be worse things said during the game by both teams (although this really was low), but him getting called out on message boards is just how it works IMO.
You know, I think it all comes down to the fact that IF Keith actually said "Yes, I said it" instead of playing the forgetful memory game people may still hate him, but have some respect for the guy because he was honest. He can't even do that. Says everything I need to know about him.
2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Alexander Steen
2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Jaromir Jagr, Calgary Flames
2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Brian Elliott, Calgary Flames
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Ryan "Turn that leaf on the wind into a shrimp on the bar-bee" Reaves
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Obviously Not Steve Ott
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Steve "Chirps-A-Lot" Ott
2015 LGB Supporter of the New York Rangers
2014-2015 LGB Sponsor of Patrik "No-Timer" Berglund
2013-2014 LGB Sponsor of Derek "In The Middle" Roy
2012-2013 LGB Sponsor of Chris "NO SLEEP TIL THE CUP!" Stewart - Shhhhh!!!