GDT Game 4: 4/23/14 > Blues @ Hawks > 8:30 PM > FSMW/NBCSN

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Re: GDT Game 4: 4/23/14 > Blues @ Hawks > 8:30 PM > FSMW/NBC

Post by WaukeeBlues »

Kerfuffle wrote:I hate that puck drop is at 8:40pm tonight. This is the second year in a row the NHL has scheduled a super late start for our Round 1 games. If it goes to OT it will be a very looonng night.
Just imagine if you were a super cool guy like me who lives in the Eastern Time Zone :facepalm:
Official 2021-2022 LGB Sponsor of Torey Krug
Official 2021 LGB Sponsor of Brayden Schenn
Official 2018-2019 LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2018 LGB Playoff Challenge Champ
Official 2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
Official 2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Scottie Upshall
Official 2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

Yes, at the moment I'm pissed that they hadn't scheduled the 9:30 start for a different game. Vacation is over so if I'm lucky I can consider MAYBE watching the 1st period. 5:45 AM rolls around really quickly to stay up for the entire tilt.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

not_a_wings_fan
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by not_a_wings_fan »

glen a richter wrote:Yes, at the moment I'm pissed that they hadn't scheduled the 9:30 start for a different game. Vacation is over so if I'm lucky I can consider MAYBE watching the 1st period. 5:45 AM rolls around really quickly to stay up for the entire tilt.
Fair weather fan. :lol:

My buddy in China is moving his schedule to watch the Sharks live all playoffs long.

My buddy in London is making time to see all the Blues games.

You are bitching about East coast?

:lol:
Official 2008-2015 LGB Sponsor of Barret Jackman

flyingnote38
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by flyingnote38 »

cprice12 wrote: I would have loved for them to upgrade the offense. Easier said than done though.

Agreed. Not sure if Kesler was available. Of the guys dealt, I would have opted for Callahan.....and he did a fine Steve Ott impression in the playoffs.
2016-7 sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2017-8 sponsor of Tage Thompson
2018-9 sponsor of Ryan O'Reilly
2019-20 sponsor of old time hockey
2020-21 sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2021-22 sponsor of Pavel Buchnevich
2022-23 sponsor of Brayden Schenn
2023-24 sponsor of Justin Faulk

not_a_wings_fan
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by not_a_wings_fan »

Keith didn't skate the morning skate - I have to assume that means he is banged up.

If he isn't able to go while Seabrook is still out, this series is done.
Official 2008-2015 LGB Sponsor of Barret Jackman

flyingnote38
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by flyingnote38 »

Misc. Blues wrote:Miller 7 goals let in G1 3 G2 3 G3 1
Crawford 8 goals let in G1 4 G2 4 G3 0
Halak 0 goals let in No G1 G2 G3 (oh wait he's not in the playoffs never mind)
Both teams have given up 8 goals

Miller is better than a 5% upgrade over Halak
With Halak we'd be down 0-3 Elliot would be starting game 4
5% was Armstrong's expression. The numbers suggest that Miller and Halak are about the same guy. As I suggested before, maybe Hitch had lost confidence in Halak and we needed to do something. The cost of the upgrade was pretty steep.

not_a_wings_fan wrote:Three goals on seven shots in the first and halak would have begged out with a "groin" issue and never recovered. Miller shut the door for the next 82 minutes and we won. It's not as much about being better, it's about having a short memory, staying calm, and being a professional. Crawfish responded to his poor play by standing on his head in game three, but halak went home rather than face his own team. Halak is a quality net minder, but he will NEVER win the cup as the #1 for any team. Miller is a calmin presence and the team believes miller will be there when he is needed, it's a big deal to be able to trust the guy between the pipes.
People seem to forget that Halak played an eighth seed to the conference finals. A team that was winning that year because of him.

Misc. Blues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Misc. Blues »

flyingnote38 wrote:
Misc. Blues wrote:Miller 7 goals let in G1 3 G2 3 G3 1
Crawford 8 goals let in G1 4 G2 4 G3 0
Halak 0 goals let in No G1 G2 G3 (oh wait he's not in the playoffs never mind)
Both teams have given up 8 goals

Miller is better than a 5% upgrade over Halak
With Halak we'd be down 0-3 Elliot would be starting game 4
5% was Armstrong's expression. The numbers suggest that Miller and Halak are about the same guy. As I suggested before, maybe Hitch had lost confidence in Halak and we needed to do something. The cost of the upgrade was pretty steep.

not_a_wings_fan wrote:Three goals on seven shots in the first and halak would have begged out with a "groin" issue and never recovered. Miller shut the door for the next 82 minutes and we won. It's not as much about being better, it's about having a short memory, staying calm, and being a professional. Crawfish responded to his poor play by standing on his head in game three, but halak went home rather than face his own team. Halak is a quality net minder, but he will NEVER win the cup as the #1 for any team. Miller is a calmin presence and the team believes miller will be there when he is needed, it's a big deal to be able to trust the guy between the pipes.
People seem to forget that Halak played an eighth seed to the conference finals. A team that was winning that year because of him.
...and has played in how many playoff games since?
2016-2017 official sponsor of Alex Pietrangelo (aka Captain Pie)
2015-2016 official sponsor of Jori Lehtera (aka Yorry)
2014-2015 official sponsor of Jay Bouwmeester (aka Jay-bo)
I hate the Shitcago "Black Holes"©®™...they really suck that much...
The Detoilet "dude bangs" ©®™... suck too...repeatedly and more often... ;)

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

not_a_wings_fan wrote:
glen a richter wrote:Yes, at the moment I'm pissed that they hadn't scheduled the 9:30 start for a different game. Vacation is over so if I'm lucky I can consider MAYBE watching the 1st period. 5:45 AM rolls around really quickly to stay up for the entire tilt.
Fair weather fan. :lol:

My buddy in China is moving his schedule to watch the Sharks live all playoffs long.

My buddy in London is making time to see all the Blues games.

You are bitching about East coast?

:lol:
It would be swell to be independently wealthy and able to make my own hours, but alas I'm just a peon who has to work when I'm told to work.

flyingnote38
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by flyingnote38 »

[/quote]...and has played in how many playoff games since?[/quote]

2 which is 5 less than Ryan Miller had played in since then, prior to this year.

As I posted around the deadline(actually as far back as last year's playoff exit), the most frustrating thing with Halak was that we didn't really get to see if he was the goalie who could lead us to the cup or not due to injury. We dealt alot to get Halak when we decided he was "the answer." We then dealt alot for Miller when we decided Halak actually wasn't. If Miller doesn't lead us deep into the playoffs, there is going to be alot of third guessing.

Hopefully, Miller will render this a non-issue.

Misc. Blues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Misc. Blues »

cprice12 wrote:
Misc. Blues wrote:I wanted to end the series on home ice game 5 anyways so now it's set up just right. I think we didn't play our game in game 3. Everyone was just trying to keep their emotions in check. We just were not as physical even though we had more hits than them. Now that Morrow is out how about Paajarvi getting some ice time. Lets stop looking for the perfect pass/shot and get the puck on net and score some sloppy goals (They are still count if they go in...who care if it's pretty). I say Backes stays out until next series. LGB

Blue Foghorn Leghorns 3
Red Chicken Hawks 1
Oh....my...God. Look who it is!! :grin:
:okman: :grin:

Misc. Blues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Misc. Blues »

flyingnote38 wrote:
2 which is 5 less than Ryan Miller had played in since then, prior to this year.

As I posted around the deadline(actually as far back as last year's playoff exit), the most frustrating thing with Halak was that we didn't really get to see if he was the goalie who could lead us to the cup or not due to injury. We dealt alot to get Halak when we decided he was "the answer." We then dealt alot for Miller when we decided Halak actually wasn't. If Miller doesn't lead us deep into the playoffs, there is going to be alot of third guessing.

I get why people are so hard on Miller but most people don't get it. Miller was a very good goalie on a crappy team that plays a totally different system than the Blues do. He has been adjusting to say the least. Halak was a different type of goalie as well and that may be the reason why he was injured so much. He was good but he didn't play/control the puck well. Miller does that. If Miller would stop over adjusting because of a bad habit he learned from the Sabres he'd be great. As I said he's still adjusting. Miller just needs to win a series and he'll be fine. If we go deep in the playoffs nobody will question his talents. If the don't go deep they should still sign him because he'll be our best option for next year. We gave up a lot (which is already gone so you might as well sign him) and no better option will there in the future and Allen is still a few years away. Miller may be the best mentor that Allen could have as he gets closer. Halak and Elliot would not be good mentors for Allen who will be the next in line when he's ready. The Blues have a 2-4 year window to get this done or it's a do-over.

ViPeRx007
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by ViPeRx007 »

Misc. Blues?!?!?!? goon attack?!!?! Was there some kind of reunion email that I missed?
2015-2016 Official LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz (IR) & The Hockey Gods
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of T.J. Oshie
2013-2014 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Ryan Reaves
2011-2012 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

ViPeRx007 wrote:Misc. Blues?!?!?!? goon attack?!!?! Was there some kind of reunion email that I missed?
ICYMI Fargo is back too.

goon attack
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by goon attack »

You're not getting the LGB User's Association newsletter?
Official 2023-'24 Sponsor of: Dua Lipa, Craig Berube, and yoga pants

'22-'23: Kim Wexler; '21-'22: Slayyyter; '21: fat chicks and covid-19; '19-'20: Taco Bell's Spicy Tostada (discontinued); '18-'19: Bhad Bhabie; '17-'18 Pitbull.'16-'17: Donald J. Trump, Black Lives Matter, and Karlie Kloss; '15-'16: the Hadids; '14-'15: $17.8+ trillion U.S. national debt; '13-'14: another season of bitter disappointment; '13: communism; '11-'12: Vlad Sobotka and fake, drunken lesbianism; '10-'11: Ryan Reaves, Bo Derek's cans, Willow Palin, and the new Lightning logo; '09-'10: the epic destruction of the Politics Forum; '08-'09: Sandy Miller

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

Misc. Blues wrote:
flyingnote38 wrote:

I get why people are so hard on Miller but most people don't get it. Miller was a very good goalie on a crappy team that plays a totally different system than the Blues do. He has been adjusting to say the least. Halak was a different type of goalie as well and that may be the reason why he was injured so much. He was good but he didn't play/control the puck well. Miller does that. If Miller would stop over adjusting because of a bad habit he learned from the Sabres he'd be great. As I said he's still adjusting. Miller just needs to win a series and he'll be fine. If we go deep in the playoffs nobody will question his talents. If the don't go deep they should still sign him because he'll be our best option for next year. We gave up a lot (which is already gone so you might as well sign him) and no better option will there in the future and Allen is still a few years away. Miller may be the best mentor that Allen could have as he gets closer. Halak and Elliot would not be good mentors for Allen who will be the next in line when he's ready. The Blues have a 2-4 year window to get this done or it's a do-over.
Yes, yes, a million time yes. Thank you! (I only say 'Thank you' once and not three times 'cause I'm not a chode.)

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

sseagle
All-Star
All-Star

Post by sseagle »

this game is never gonna (Franking) start
Official Chatzy Sponsor Extraordinaire - Just wait till we score four...

Official Sponsor of FlashChat.. why am I alone still?

Misc. Blues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Misc. Blues »

ViPeRx007 wrote:Misc. Blues?!?!?!? goon attack?!!?! Was there some kind of reunion email that I missed?
Yeah but you have to leave for awhile to be eligible... :lol:

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

In shocking news of the day, Backes is officially out for game 4.

sseagle
All-Star
All-Star

Post by sseagle »

Keep it up Blues!!
Official Chatzy Sponsor Extraordinaire - Just wait till we score four...

Official Sponsor of FlashChat.. why am I alone still?