GDT Game 5: 4/25/14 > Blues vs Hawks > 7:00 PM > FSMW/NBCSN

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

Nyghtewynd
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Re: GDT Game 5: 4/25/14 > Blues vs Hawks > 7:00 PM > FSMW/NB

Post by Nyghtewynd »

dmiles2186 wrote:
Oaklandblue wrote:
dmiles2186 wrote:Miller makes big save after big save after big save in this series. His defense backs in and shields him in OT in Game 4 and his defense makes a bad change leading to a breakaway to one of the best players in the league in OT of Game 5.

But yeah, it's all Miller's fault.
When he lets in 3 goals and we have to score 3 goals to tie, yes, there's a lot of that I'm going to put on him. He is supposed to be the amazing goaltender and for six million, you're damn right I'm going to expect elite-level goaltending. He knows a paycheck is at stake and as much as I like the guy's consideration and character, none of that matters if you can't stop the shots and give your boys the chance to win. I know I'm being hard on him, but there's a considerable amount here that is the truth.
I suppose we're all just forgetting the defensive breakdowns that lead to most of the goals? Sure, he should have had the 1 in Game 3. Maybe I'm fighting a losing battle. I don't think a goalie will ever be given a break in St. Louis. Anything goes wrong and the entire fan base points at the goalie, whether it's his fault or not. Do you not remember the big saves Miller made tonight after the absolutely ATROCIOUS givewaways by Oshie and Petro (who sent his pass perfectly in the slot for a one timer from a Hawk)? But yet, I don't see anyone calling out those two.
Then if we're not going to give any credit to a goalie, I'll take the cheap good one (Elliott) over the expensive good one (Miller).
dhabums wrote:You and your buddies here are a joke and most of this site knows it.
Sponsor of Having A Real Good Time, Happy Pony, and all those who suffer from being right all the time.

Oaklandblue
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Oaklandblue »

Nyghtewynd wrote:
dmiles2186 wrote:
Oaklandblue wrote:
dmiles2186 wrote:Miller makes big save after big save after big save in this series. His defense backs in and shields him in OT in Game 4 and his defense makes a bad change leading to a breakaway to one of the best players in the league in OT of Game 5.

When he lets in 3 goals and we have to score 3 goals to tie, yes, there's a lot of that I'm going to put on him. He is supposed to be the amazing goaltender and for six million, you're damn right I'm going to expect elite-level goaltending. He knows a paycheck is at stake and as much as I like the guy's consideration and character, none of that matters if you can't stop the shots and give your boys the chance to win. I know I'm being hard on him, but there's a considerable amount here that is the truth.
I suppose we're all just forgetting the defensive breakdowns that lead to most of the goals? Sure, he should have had the 1 in Game 3. Maybe I'm fighting a losing battle. I don't think a goalie will ever be given a break in St. Louis. Anything goes wrong and the entire fan base points at the goalie, whether it's his fault or not. Do you not remember the big saves Miller made tonight after the absolutely ATROCIOUS givewaways by Oshie and Petro (who sent his pass perfectly in the slot for a one timer from a Hawk)? But yet, I don't see anyone calling out those two.
Then if we're not going to give any credit to a goalie, I'll take the cheap good one (Elliott) over the expensive good one (Miller).
And use the six million a year to sign an elite scorer?
2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Alexander Steen
2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Jaromir Jagr, Calgary Flames
2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Brian Elliott, Calgary Flames
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Ryan "Turn that leaf on the wind into a shrimp on the bar-bee" Reaves
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Obviously Not Steve Ott
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Steve "Chirps-A-Lot" Ott
2015 LGB Supporter of the New York Rangers
2014-2015 LGB Sponsor of Patrik "No-Timer" Berglund
2013-2014 LGB Sponsor of Derek "In The Middle" Roy
2012-2013 LGB Sponsor of Chris "NO SLEEP TIL THE CUP!" Stewart - Shhhhh!!!

Kerfuffle
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by Kerfuffle »

flyingnote38 wrote: Of course Miller's biggest admirer is the Hawks fan
You really think Miller was the weak link tonight? The game went to OT - c'mon man.

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

Nyghtewynd wrote:
dmiles2186 wrote:
Oaklandblue wrote:

The same goalie who was swept by the Kings two years ago and coughed up a 2-0 series lead by losing 4 straight (including the series winning goal from the blue line with under a second left) to be bounced out of the playoffs?

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

The goalies job is to stop the pucks as often as humanly possible, in spite of the obstacles that are in front of him--including defensive breakdowns. If the goalie has to be the last line of defense, then no matter what, his surrendering a goal is a part of that breakdown. He's supposed to stop pucks, that's what he gets paid handsomely for.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

Nyghtewynd
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by Nyghtewynd »

Oaklandblue wrote:
Nyghtewynd wrote:
dmiles2186 wrote:
Oaklandblue wrote:

And use the six million a year to sign an elite scorer?
Like I have any faith that the management would do that. They'll sign three worn-out guys like Derek "Healthy Scratch" Roy.
dhabums wrote:You and your buddies here are a joke and most of this site knows it.
Sponsor of Having A Real Good Time, Happy Pony, and all those who suffer from being right all the time.

Nyghtewynd
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by Nyghtewynd »

dmiles2186 wrote:
Nyghtewynd wrote:
dmiles2186 wrote:
Oaklandblue wrote:

The same goalie who was swept by the Kings two years ago and coughed up a 2-0 series lead by losing 4 straight (including the series winning goal from the blue line with under a second left) to be bounced out of the playoffs?
So you're saying we'd get at least the same results for $5M a year less? You got a deal.

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

Nyghtewynd wrote:
dmiles2186 wrote:
Nyghtewynd wrote:
dmiles2186 wrote:
Oaklandblue wrote:

So you're saying we'd get at least the same results for $5M a year less? You got a deal.
Series hasn't ended yet. For all we know Miller steals games 6 and 7. Likely? Maybe not. But the series isn't over.

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

I'm worried that their answer to our offensive problems will be "Jaskin and Rattie". I'm looking forward to them getting ice time as much as anyone else, but we keep counting on unproven players. Isn't it at all possible that maybe these young guns--Vova, Schwartz, Jaskin, Rattie, etc... could all benefit from having a veteran scoring forward to work with them? Roy, Morrow, LaPierre, I'm sorry but those were all ridiculous signings.

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

I love the knee jerk reactions from Blues fans. (some of which hasn't been said here...just things I've seen on Twitter and elsewhere)

"Fire Armstrong" - Really? He was only the GM of the year and has put together a damn good team. Might be the best GM in the league.
"Fire hitchcock" - I don't get this comment either. I'm as pissed an anyone, but I also don't want to bring in someone else who probably isn't as good, isn't as experienced, etc.
"Blow it up" - And then what? We rebuild with what? Trade a bunch of guys for draft picks and young kids and wait another 5 or 6 years before we're any good again? That makes no sense...and might not even work. You tweak the team and come back at it next year.
"Get rid of Miller" - I think Miller was really good this game. And it wasn't really a bad change that beat us, it was the fact Toewes was cherry picking at center and Leopold failed to pick him up with Bouwmeester coming off the bench...he has to be aware of that. We were changing when we had the puck in the Hawks zone. From what I have seen of him, I wouldn't mind them trying to bring him back...so long as it doesn't cost a lot.

THIS IS PROBABLY THE BEST TEAM WE HAVE EVER HAD. Don't forget that. Just because we have a really tough matchup in Rd. 1 and trail 3-2 is irrelevant. This could have (should have) been a conference finals series.

I should just stay off social media until the day of game #6. Because that is when folks will have calmed down and start to rally back around the team.

I get the aggravation...I do, but you don't make major changes to this team...not even if they lose this series. That accomplishes nothing and is just a huge step backwards.

Calm down. There is a game #6 on Sunday. We'll see what this team is made of in a "must win" game on the road.

I don't think we played great in this game. We had stretches of good play and we seemed to get better as the game went on. But there were a lot of frustrating moments...but I'll give Chicago credit for causing some of that.
I don't think Chicago played a great game either.

If Oshie buries his gimme goal at the side of the net, or if he gets his slapper from the slot on net...we probably win the game.
We missed a few gimme chances.

Oshie's goal was sick. Goal of the playoffs. Wish it would have come in a win. Hopefully it comes in a series win though.

LGB
LETS GO BLUES RADIO
LIVE weekly broadcasts on YouTube & http://www.LetsGoBlues.com/radio!
Twitter: https://twitter.com/curtprice
Lets Go Blues Radio Twitter: https://twitter.com/lgbradio
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cprice12/
Lets Go Blues Radio Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lgbradio/

Misc. Blues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Misc. Blues »

Nyghtewynd wrote:
dmiles2186 wrote:
Nyghtewynd wrote:
dmiles2186 wrote:
Oaklandblue wrote:

Who was the goal tender that got us to the cup last season? Oh the same one that is $5M cheaper...yeah lets go with that guy... :roll:
2016-2017 official sponsor of Alex Pietrangelo (aka Captain Pie)
2015-2016 official sponsor of Jori Lehtera (aka Yorry)
2014-2015 official sponsor of Jay Bouwmeester (aka Jay-bo)
I hate the Shitcago "Black Holes"©®™...they really suck that much...
The Detoilet "dude bangs" ©®™... suck too...repeatedly and more often... ;)

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

I don't think this team needs a major change, I think this team needs basically two things:

1) A better goalie which maybe Miller is that guy and just needs a full season with the team, or maybe it's somewhere else or maybe it just doesn't exist.
2) A first line finisher in addition to what we have and not count on the potential of the guys already on the roster. If one of them turns into a first line caliber finisher then super, we'll have two. Two is better than one.

When I said blow it up, I was referring to what will inevitably happen IF they don't get the job done in the next few seasons.

Oaklandblue
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Oaklandblue »

This IS the best team we've ever had. And the fight ain't over yet.
2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Alexander Steen
2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Jaromir Jagr, Calgary Flames
2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Brian Elliott, Calgary Flames
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Ryan "Turn that leaf on the wind into a shrimp on the bar-bee" Reaves
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Obviously Not Steve Ott
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Steve "Chirps-A-Lot" Ott
2015 LGB Supporter of the New York Rangers
2014-2015 LGB Sponsor of Patrik "No-Timer" Berglund
2013-2014 LGB Sponsor of Derek "In The Middle" Roy
2012-2013 LGB Sponsor of Chris "NO SLEEP TIL THE CUP!" Stewart - Shhhhh!!!

Misc. Blues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Misc. Blues »

Oaklandblue wrote:This IS the best team we've ever had. And the fight ain't over yet.
I agree
2016-2017 official sponsor of Alex Pietrangelo (aka Captain Pie)
2015-2016 official sponsor of Jori Lehtera (aka Yorry)
2014-2015 official sponsor of Jay Bouwmeester (aka Jay-bo)
I hate the Shitcago "Black Holes"©®™...they really suck that much...
The Detoilet "dude bangs" ©®™... suck too...repeatedly and more often... ;)

KPFBlue
3rd Line Grinder
3rd Line Grinder

Post by KPFBlue »

glen a richter wrote:I don't think this team needs a major change, I think this team needs basically two things:

1) A better goalie which maybe Miller is that guy and just needs a full season with the team, or maybe it's somewhere else or maybe it just doesn't exist.
2) A first line finisher in addition to what we have and not count on the potential of the guys already on the roster. If one of them turns into a first line caliber finisher then super, we'll have two. Two is better than one.

When I said blow it up, I was referring to what will inevitably happen IF they don't get the job done in the next few seasons.

So the Blues missing links are goaltending and an elite scorer? You just solved a decade and a half's worth of Blues hockey. :P

The Blues have 60 minutes to exact their revenge on Seabrook. I'd really prefer they take it out on those c u next tuesdays Kane and Toews.

Silver lining: Roy, Morrow, Ott, are all UFAs. Berglund is a RFA. Peace.
Official 2011-12 sponsor of Chris Stewart

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

KPFBlue wrote:
glen a richter wrote:I don't think this team needs a major change, I think this team needs basically two things:

So the Blues missing links are goaltending and an elite scorer? You just solved a decade and a half's worth of Blues hockey. :P

The Blues have 60 minutes to exact their revenge on Seabrook. I'd really prefer they take it out on those c u next tuesdays Kane and Toews.

Silver lining: Roy, Morrow, Ott, are all UFAs. Berglund is a RFA. Peace.
To be fair, you don't even really need a great goalie if you have everyone else just right. I mean look at Chicago. Even if we come back and win this series, there's no arguing that the offensive chips they have on that team more than make up for whatever shortcomings Crawford may have. Wouldn't it be nice to have a Toews/Kane/Sharp sort of trio on the Blues? Vova/Schwartz/Stastny perhaps? I believe he's a FA.

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

KPFBlue wrote:

Our missing link is not goaltending. We have good goaltending...and it has been good enough to win this series. We had the game on our stick a few times in this game and couldn't get it done.

An elite scorer would be nice...but half of the teams in the NHL want one of those. Easier said than done.

Our missing link is getting a few pucks to bounce our way so we can win us this series. I swear, this team has to be the most unluckiest team in the playoffs every year. You don't just win the cup by being good/great. We've had good/great teams many, many, many times. You win the cup by being good/great AND getting more 50/50 bounces go your way over the course of the series. This franchise has rarely had that combination.

I guess if we can manage to win game #6 in Chicago (which we are due to do...Chicago was due to win here, so the same goes for us), that would force Chicago to win two in a row in St. Louis. So there is that.
LETS GO BLUES RADIO
LIVE weekly broadcasts on YouTube & http://www.LetsGoBlues.com/radio!
Twitter: https://twitter.com/curtprice
Lets Go Blues Radio Twitter: https://twitter.com/lgbradio
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cprice12/
Lets Go Blues Radio Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lgbradio/

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

It is possible the boys are just pissed enough that they come out guns blazing in game 6. I wouldn't put money on it, but it could happen.

not_a_wings_fan
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by not_a_wings_fan »

I think we need another top six guy, but I think we need a set up guy. Pretty sure a speedy passing center who wins lots of draws would fix our issues.

We also need more speed. You pretty much always need more speed.

This is an insane first round match up for sure. I feel like the winner here will win the west.

It's not over till someone wins four games. We won two in a row to start the series, nothing says we can't do it again.
Official 2008-2015 LGB Sponsor of Barret Jackman

flyingnote38
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by flyingnote38 »

Misc. Blues wrote:
Oaklandblue wrote:This IS the best team we've ever had. And the fight ain't over yet.
I agree

This team would get swept by the 2000, 2001, and 1981 versions of the Blues.

"Fight" is the main thing this core has not demonstrated in the playoffs.
2016-7 sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2017-8 sponsor of Tage Thompson
2018-9 sponsor of Ryan O'Reilly
2019-20 sponsor of old time hockey
2020-21 sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2021-22 sponsor of Pavel Buchnevich
2022-23 sponsor of Brayden Schenn
2023-24 sponsor of Justin Faulk