Hitch: Keep or Fire?

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey.

Moderator: LGB Mods

Hitch?

Keep
13
62%
Fire
8
38%
 
Total votes : 21

Hitch: Keep or Fire?

Postby Nyghtewynd » Sun Apr 27, 2014 3:54 pm

Well?
dhabums wrote:You and your buddies here are a joke and most of this site knows it.


Sponsor of Having A Real Good Time, Happy Pony, and all those who suffer from being right all the time.
User avatar
Nyghtewynd
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow
 
Posts: 4506
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2003 1:41 am
Location: St. Louis, MO

Re: Hitch: Keep or Fire?

Postby cardsfan04 » Sun Apr 27, 2014 3:57 pm

Keep, and it's not even close.
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
cardsfan04
All-Star
All-Star
 
Posts: 2471
Joined: Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:43 am

Re: Hitch: Keep or Fire?

Postby Nyghtewynd » Sun Apr 27, 2014 4:03 pm

I think he might be gone simply because the fanbase isn't going to buy going into next year standing pat. But I also worry that this is as good as he can do. We've had three straight flameouts. He may have built the team as far as it's going to go.
dhabums wrote:You and your buddies here are a joke and most of this site knows it.


Sponsor of Having A Real Good Time, Happy Pony, and all those who suffer from being right all the time.
User avatar
Nyghtewynd
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow
 
Posts: 4506
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2003 1:41 am
Location: St. Louis, MO

Re: Hitch: Keep or Fire?

Postby cardsfan04 » Sun Apr 27, 2014 4:06 pm

Nyghtewynd wrote:I think he might be gone simply because the fanbase isn't going to buy going into next year standing pat. But I also worry that this is as good as he can do. We've had three straight flameouts. He may have built the team as far as it's going to go.


I mean, could be. But, I don't blame Hitch for this. I really don't. Part of it I think is bad luck of playing the Blackhawks in the first round. This was a brutal matchup for both teams. Somebody had to lose and unfortunately it's us. I know people will say, "If we hadn't flamed out at the end of the regular season . . ." and I don't disagree. But, even still, this was a brutal matchup.
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
cardsfan04
All-Star
All-Star
 
Posts: 2471
Joined: Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:43 am

Re: Hitch: Keep or Fire?

Postby tjk002 » Sun Apr 27, 2014 4:07 pm

cardsfan04 wrote:
Nyghtewynd wrote:I think he might be gone simply because the fanbase isn't going to buy going into next year standing pat. But I also worry that this is as good as he can do. We've had three straight flameouts. He may have built the team as far as it's going to go.


I mean, could be. But, I don't blame Hitch for this. I really don't. Part of it I think is bad luck of playing the Blackhawks in the first round. This was a brutal matchup for both teams. Somebody had to lose and unfortunately it's us. I know people will say, "If we hadn't flamed out at the end of the regular season . . ." and I don't disagree. But, even still, this was a brutal matchup.


Bad luck playing the Hawks? This team controlled their own fate with 6 games left and couldn't get a point. The coach has to accept some of that blame.
tjk002
3rd Line Grinder
3rd Line Grinder
 
Posts: 192
Joined: Fri Feb 21, 2003 1:32 pm
Location: Section 315, Row 1

Re: Hitch: Keep or Fire?

Postby WaukeeBlues » Sun Apr 27, 2014 4:13 pm

tjk002 wrote:
cardsfan04 wrote:
Nyghtewynd wrote:I think he might be gone simply because the fanbase isn't going to buy going into next year standing pat. But I also worry that this is as good as he can do. We've had three straight flameouts. He may have built the team as far as it's going to go.


I mean, could be. But, I don't blame Hitch for this. I really don't. Part of it I think is bad luck of playing the Blackhawks in the first round. This was a brutal matchup for both teams. Somebody had to lose and unfortunately it's us. I know people will say, "If we hadn't flamed out at the end of the regular season . . ." and I don't disagree. But, even still, this was a brutal matchup.


Bad luck playing the Hawks? This team controlled their own fate with 6 games left and couldn't get a point. The coach has to accept some of that blame.


Maybe but this team was loaded and ready to go on the night of game 1. I don't think you can overstate that enough. If the regular season slump had carried over into the postseason I could see placing a lot of blame on Hitch. Because you're right, it's his job to get these guys ready to play. But he did. We took the first two games of a playoff series against the defending champions finishing the season with 6 losses. I was thoroughly impressed with that.

With the exception of the last game we were in every single game and they all came down right to the wire. I tend to think it was more the personnel than the coaching in my opinion.
Official LGB Sponsor: Jake Allen
User avatar
WaukeeBlues
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame
 
Posts: 4681
Joined: Sun Apr 08, 2007 3:00 pm
Location: Phi Alpha

Re: Hitch: Keep or Fire?

Postby cardsfan04 » Sun Apr 27, 2014 4:13 pm

tjk002 wrote:
cardsfan04 wrote:
Nyghtewynd wrote:I think he might be gone simply because the fanbase isn't going to buy going into next year standing pat. But I also worry that this is as good as he can do. We've had three straight flameouts. He may have built the team as far as it's going to go.


I mean, could be. But, I don't blame Hitch for this. I really don't. Part of it I think is bad luck of playing the Blackhawks in the first round. This was a brutal matchup for both teams. Somebody had to lose and unfortunately it's us. I know people will say, "If we hadn't flamed out at the end of the regular season . . ." and I don't disagree. But, even still, this was a brutal matchup.


Bad luck playing the Hawks? This team controlled their own fate with 6 games left and couldn't get a point. The coach has to accept some of that blame.


Like I said, I don't disagree. He should take some of the blame. I'm not of the opinion that his share of the blame should cost him his job though. Maybe I'll change my mind, but I think he has done well here, just hasn't gotten us there yet. Nyghtwynd does make a good point though. Maybe Hitch has taken us as far as he can.
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
cardsfan04
All-Star
All-Star
 
Posts: 2471
Joined: Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:43 am

Re: Hitch: Keep or Fire?

Postby Krigloch the Furious » Sun Apr 27, 2014 4:25 pm

I blame Hitch for alot of stuff.
Last 6 games of the regular season. Playoffs and not adjusting to the Hawks speed or getting the PP up to par.
On Hitch.
User avatar
Krigloch the Furious
All-Star
All-Star
 
Posts: 1495
Joined: Sat Aug 06, 2005 12:58 pm
Location: Springfield, IL

Re: Hitch: Keep or Fire?

Postby Portland Blues » Sun Apr 27, 2014 4:32 pm

I don't recall offhand who our PP coach was this year, but shit...not sure why they ran the same PP every time in this last game when it clearly wasn't working. That and we apparently have no players than can score on the PP.
User avatar
Portland Blues
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame
 
Posts: 3030
Joined: Fri Apr 18, 2003 12:38 pm
Location: Portland Orygun

Re: Hitch: Keep or Fire?

Postby dmiles2186 » Sun Apr 27, 2014 4:51 pm

Krigloch the Furious wrote:I blame Hitch for alot of stuff.
Last 6 games of the regular season. Playoffs and not adjusting to the Hawks speed or getting the PP up to par.
On Hitch.


Last 6 games when the bulk of our roster was hurt, including (if I recall) 7 of our top forwards and our #1 D? Okay.
Image
User avatar
dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God
 
Posts: 6099
Joined: Mon Nov 20, 2006 12:29 am
Location: Selling Air Bombays--for kids who want to coach

Re: Hitch: Keep or Fire?

Postby JesusNEVERexisted » Sun Apr 27, 2014 6:36 pm

I'm ambivalent on Hitch but after 3 years of not winning a 2nd round game maybe you should cut him loose. What about Hull, Oates, or Gretzky as coach?
User avatar
JesusNEVERexisted
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper
 
Posts: 572
Joined: Sat Apr 12, 2014 12:24 pm

Re: Hitch: Keep or Fire?

Postby Kerfuffle » Sun Apr 27, 2014 6:40 pm

I voted 'keep' - he's still one one of the winniest coaches in history. For those that want to fire him ask yourself this --> replace him with what? Look what happened in Vancouver - they fire Alan Vigneault and replaced him with Torterella and they actually went backwards this year and regressed under Torterella.
User avatar
Kerfuffle
3rd Line Grinder
3rd Line Grinder
 
Posts: 134
Joined: Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:18 am

Re: Hitch: Keep or Fire?

Postby glen a richter » Sun Apr 27, 2014 6:44 pm

JesusNEVERexisted wrote:I'm ambivalent on Hitch but after 3 years of not winning a 2nd round game maybe you should cut him loose. What about Hull, Oates, or Gretzky as coach?


No, no and no. If any former Blue should be the head coach it's Chopper and that's not happening.
LGB sponsor of Ian Cole 2011-2012
LGB sponsor of Gary Bettman's Pink Slip 2013
LGB sponsor of Dmitrij Jaskin 2013-2014
LGB sponsor of Ian Cole (again) 2014-2015
glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God
 
Posts: 7387
Joined: Thu Feb 20, 2003 8:02 am
Location: Long Island, NY

Re: Hitch: Keep or Fire?

Postby glen a richter » Sun Apr 27, 2014 6:45 pm

Kerfuffle wrote:I voted 'keep' - he's still one one of the winniest coaches in history. For those that want to fire him ask yourself this --> replace him with what? Look what happened in Vancouver - they fire Alan Vigneault and replaced him with Torterella and they actually went backwards this year and regressed under Torterella.


That's because Torts is a crappy coach and it was a dumb decision by Vancouver. They could have and should have hired someone different but they wanted to go in the opposite direction of Vigneault and they got what they asked for.
LGB sponsor of Ian Cole 2011-2012
LGB sponsor of Gary Bettman's Pink Slip 2013
LGB sponsor of Dmitrij Jaskin 2013-2014
LGB sponsor of Ian Cole (again) 2014-2015
glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God
 
Posts: 7387
Joined: Thu Feb 20, 2003 8:02 am
Location: Long Island, NY

Re: Hitch: Keep or Fire?

Postby dmiles2186 » Sun Apr 27, 2014 6:45 pm

glen a richter wrote:
JesusNEVERexisted wrote:I'm ambivalent on Hitch but after 3 years of not winning a 2nd round game maybe you should cut him loose. What about Hull, Oates, or Gretzky as coach?


No, no and no. If any former Blue should be the head coach it's Chopper and that's not happening.


You made teh DUGGIE WAITZ cry.

Image
Image
User avatar
dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God
 
Posts: 6099
Joined: Mon Nov 20, 2006 12:29 am
Location: Selling Air Bombays--for kids who want to coach

Re: Hitch: Keep or Fire?

Postby glen a richter » Sun Apr 27, 2014 6:47 pm

dmiles2186 wrote:
glen a richter wrote:
JesusNEVERexisted wrote:I'm ambivalent on Hitch but after 3 years of not winning a 2nd round game maybe you should cut him loose. What about Hull, Oates, or Gretzky as coach?


No, no and no. If any former Blue should be the head coach it's Chopper and that's not happening.


You made teh DUGGIE WAITZ cry.

Image


Waitz does have assistant coaching experience with the Islanders, I'll grant him that. But he also lives on the island now and it's kind of cool to be sort of neighbors with the greatest backwards skater ever to play the game. We'd hate to lose him.
LGB sponsor of Ian Cole 2011-2012
LGB sponsor of Gary Bettman's Pink Slip 2013
LGB sponsor of Dmitrij Jaskin 2013-2014
LGB sponsor of Ian Cole (again) 2014-2015
glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God
 
Posts: 7387
Joined: Thu Feb 20, 2003 8:02 am
Location: Long Island, NY

Re: Hitch: Keep or Fire?

Postby dmiles2186 » Sun Apr 27, 2014 6:47 pm

glen a richter wrote:
Kerfuffle wrote:I voted 'keep' - he's still one one of the winniest coaches in history. For those that want to fire him ask yourself this --> replace him with what? Look what happened in Vancouver - they fire Alan Vigneault and replaced him with Torterella and they actually went backwards this year and regressed under Torterella.


That's because Torts is a crappy coach and it was a dumb decision by Vancouver. They could have and should have hired someone different but they wanted to go in the opposite direction of Vigneault and they got what they asked for.


Regardless of this, I still agree with Kerfuffle. Who is out there for us?

I guess the only name I can come up with is Laviolette and he's been fired from two different places. Granted, he got both teams to the Stanley Cup and won one, but still...he's the only intriguing option I'd be okay with.
Image
User avatar
dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God
 
Posts: 6099
Joined: Mon Nov 20, 2006 12:29 am
Location: Selling Air Bombays--for kids who want to coach

Re: Hitch: Keep or Fire?

Postby glen a richter » Sun Apr 27, 2014 6:49 pm

dmiles2186 wrote:
glen a richter wrote:
Kerfuffle wrote:I voted 'keep' - he's still one one of the winniest coaches in history. For those that want to fire him ask yourself this --> replace him with what? Look what happened in Vancouver - they fire Alan Vigneault and replaced him with Torterella and they actually went backwards this year and regressed under Torterella.


That's because Torts is a crappy coach and it was a dumb decision by Vancouver. They could have and should have hired someone different but they wanted to go in the opposite direction of Vigneault and they got what they asked for.


Regardless of this, I still agree with Kerfuffle. Who is out there for us?

I guess the only name I can come up with is Laviolette and he's been fired from two different places. Granted, he got both teams to the Stanley Cup and won one, but still...he's the only intriguing option I'd be okay with.


Hitch also has a history of being fired. Just saying.
LGB sponsor of Ian Cole 2011-2012
LGB sponsor of Gary Bettman's Pink Slip 2013
LGB sponsor of Dmitrij Jaskin 2013-2014
LGB sponsor of Ian Cole (again) 2014-2015
glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God
 
Posts: 7387
Joined: Thu Feb 20, 2003 8:02 am
Location: Long Island, NY

Re: Hitch: Keep or Fire?

Postby dmiles2186 » Sun Apr 27, 2014 6:51 pm

glen a richter wrote:
dmiles2186 wrote:
glen a richter wrote:
Kerfuffle wrote:I voted 'keep' - he's still one one of the winniest coaches in history. For those that want to fire him ask yourself this --> replace him with what? Look what happened in Vancouver - they fire Alan Vigneault and replaced him with Torterella and they actually went backwards this year and regressed under Torterella.


That's because Torts is a crappy coach and it was a dumb decision by Vancouver. They could have and should have hired someone different but they wanted to go in the opposite direction of Vigneault and they got what they asked for.


Regardless of this, I still agree with Kerfuffle. Who is out there for us?

I guess the only name I can come up with is Laviolette and he's been fired from two different places. Granted, he got both teams to the Stanley Cup and won one, but still...he's the only intriguing option I'd be okay with.


Hitch also has a history of being fired. Just saying.


Not it's true. I wasn't happy when we hired him. I thought he was another retread and I thought Payne didn't get a proper chance. But this team has played winning hockey (in the regular season) at an astounding rate under Hitch. He turned this team from a 'we're fighting for a 6-8 seed' to discussion of a Stanley Cup. That gets lost at a time like this.
Image
User avatar
dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God
 
Posts: 6099
Joined: Mon Nov 20, 2006 12:29 am
Location: Selling Air Bombays--for kids who want to coach

Re: Hitch: Keep or Fire?

Postby glen a richter » Sun Apr 27, 2014 6:53 pm

dmiles2186 wrote:
glen a richter wrote:
dmiles2186 wrote:
glen a richter wrote:
Kerfuffle wrote:I voted 'keep' - he's still one one of the winniest coaches in history. For those that want to fire him ask yourself this --> replace him with what? Look what happened in Vancouver - they fire Alan Vigneault and replaced him with Torterella and they actually went backwards this year and regressed under Torterella.


That's because Torts is a crappy coach and it was a dumb decision by Vancouver. They could have and should have hired someone different but they wanted to go in the opposite direction of Vigneault and they got what they asked for.


Regardless of this, I still agree with Kerfuffle. Who is out there for us?

I guess the only name I can come up with is Laviolette and he's been fired from two different places. Granted, he got both teams to the Stanley Cup and won one, but still...he's the only intriguing option I'd be okay with.


Hitch also has a history of being fired. Just saying.


Not it's true. I wasn't happy when we hired him. I thought he was another retread and I thought Payne didn't get a proper chance. But this team has played winning hockey (in the regular season) at an astounding rate under Hitch. He turned this team from a 'we're fighting for a 6-8 seed' to discussion of a Stanley Cup. That gets lost at a time like this.


Let's not get carried away. Let's look at Colorado for a second. Now everyone in Colorado is saying Patrick Roy is the greatest thing since sliced bread to coach that club, but lost on them is that they have a very talented group of young kids who were just coming into their own. Is Roy a great coach or did he just happen to inherit a team that was ready to break out with the skill they already had on roster regardless of who was coaching them?

Hitch took over a team that was a bit raw but had tasted some success. They were coming into their own and may have very well done exactly the same thing whether Payne had stayed or someone else was coaching instead.
LGB sponsor of Ian Cole 2011-2012
LGB sponsor of Gary Bettman's Pink Slip 2013
LGB sponsor of Dmitrij Jaskin 2013-2014
LGB sponsor of Ian Cole (again) 2014-2015
glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God
 
Posts: 7387
Joined: Thu Feb 20, 2003 8:02 am
Location: Long Island, NY

Next

Return to St. Louis Blues Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot] and 6 guests

cron