Is Jake Allen the Answer?

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

Misc. Blues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Is Jake Allen the Answer?

Post by Misc. Blues »

The reason I ask this question is because he's in the Calder Cup and he's (2-2, GAA 3.09, SV% .884). The Chicago Wolves are a #2 seed and the Rochester Americans are #7. That's AHL people and not getting it done. I know we have high hopes for the kid but no way he's a NHL starter. Let me know what you guys think...

Game 5 (best of 5 series) is today at 3pm CT.
2016-2017 official sponsor of Alex Pietrangelo (aka Captain Pie)
2015-2016 official sponsor of Jori Lehtera (aka Yorry)
2014-2015 official sponsor of Jay Bouwmeester (aka Jay-bo)
I hate the Shitcago "Black Holes"©®™...they really suck that much...
The Detoilet "dude bangs" ©®™... suck too...repeatedly and more often... ;)

flyingnote38
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Re: Is Jake Allen the Answer?

Post by flyingnote38 »

not to read too much into a single game but I groaned seeing the game 4 stats. At home with a chance to eliminate the other team, he gave up 5 goals on 17 shots in a period and a half.
there ya have it, Blues playoff goaltending
2016-7 sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2017-8 sponsor of Tage Thompson
2018-9 sponsor of Ryan O'Reilly
2019-20 sponsor of old time hockey
2020-21 sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2021-22 sponsor of Pavel Buchnevich
2022-23 sponsor of Brayden Schenn
2023-24 sponsor of Justin Faulk

Misc. Blues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Misc. Blues »

flyingnote38 wrote:not to read too much into a single game but I groaned seeing the game 4 stats. At home with a chance to eliminate the other team, he gave up 5 goals on 17 shots in a period and a half.
Yeah but game 3 he was stellar.

Western Conference Quarterfinals – Series “F” (best-of-5)
2-Chicago Wolves vs. 7-Rochester Americans
Game 1 – Fri., Apr. 25 – Chicago 4, ROCHESTER 3 (OT)
Game 2 – Sat., Apr. 26 – ROCHESTER 3. Chicago 2
Game 3 – Thu., May 1 – CHICAGO 4, Rochester 0
Game 4 – Fri., May 2 – Rochester 7, CHICAGO 2
Game 5 – Sun., May 4 – Rochester at Chicago, 3:00
2016-2017 official sponsor of Alex Pietrangelo (aka Captain Pie)
2015-2016 official sponsor of Jori Lehtera (aka Yorry)
2014-2015 official sponsor of Jay Bouwmeester (aka Jay-bo)
I hate the Shitcago "Black Holes"©®™...they really suck that much...
The Detoilet "dude bangs" ©®™... suck too...repeatedly and more often... ;)

flyingnote38
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by flyingnote38 »

Misc. Blues wrote:
flyingnote38 wrote:not to read too much into a single game but I groaned seeing the game 4 stats. At home with a chance to eliminate the other team, he gave up 5 goals on 17 shots in a period and a half.
Yeah but game 3 he was stellar.

Western Conference Quarterfinals – Series “F” (best-of-5)
2-Chicago Wolves vs. 7-Rochester Americans
Game 1 – Fri., Apr. 25 – Chicago 4, ROCHESTER 3 (OT)
Game 2 – Sat., Apr. 26 – ROCHESTER 3. Chicago 2
Game 3 – Thu., May 1 – CHICAGO 4, Rochester 0
Game 4 – Fri., May 2 – Rochester 7, CHICAGO 2
Game 5 – Sun., May 4 – Rochester at Chicago, 3:00
If I recall correctly, Army said he was planning on watching the Wolves play the rest of their playoffs, so he was undoubtedly viewing this first hand. Gotta wonder if Allen's performance today (and hopefully in subsequent rounds) will impact Army's decision on who he signs. Like whether he might go for an older mentor type if he think Allen's ready to carry the mail or if he opts for a guy to compete for the starting job for the forseeable future.
2016-7 sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2017-8 sponsor of Tage Thompson
2018-9 sponsor of Ryan O'Reilly
2019-20 sponsor of old time hockey
2020-21 sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2021-22 sponsor of Pavel Buchnevich
2022-23 sponsor of Brayden Schenn
2023-24 sponsor of Justin Faulk

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

I've never thought Jake Allen was the #1 guy going into next year. I was all for re-signing Miller but if we go Elliott and Allen and split those starts about 50-32 or something like that, I won't be opposed. But there's no way you send the kid up and immediately make him #1. To answer the question, I think he is the answer a season or two or three down the road, but not 2014-2015.

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

I think what Army said about Allen's role next year is exactly what it should be. He will be given the chance to compete for starts. They should absolutely not hand the starting job over to him just because he's Jake Allen. But, since he's going to be here next year, give him the opportunity to earn what he gets. If we have the opportunity to sign a good goalie to be the starter, we shouldn't pass on it because of Jake Allen.
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2016-2017 Official LGB Sponsor of Dmitri Jaskin
2017-2018 Official LGB Sponsor of Jake Allen

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

Ken Dryden, Patrick Roy, Cam Ward... Jake Allen?

I don't know if he's 100% certainly the answer in goal for next season, but I don't see the harm in trying. He would have a great D in front of him and if there was just a bit more scoring (we've talked about this a million times) the Blues system is such that pretty much anyone with hockey sense could succeed in goal and Allen could very well be the guy to take us to the Cup. After a full season of NHL experience I think he'd be good to go in the playoffs. Actually, does Jake count as a rookie anymore, or did he play too much last season?
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

glen a richter wrote:I don't know if he's 100% certainly the answer in goal for next season, but I don't see the harm in trying.
I can see some harm. This is a team that had 111 points in the regular season. If Jake comes in and the pressure is too much, you could set him back and this team back moving forward. Is that a risk worth taking? I say if we get Brian Elliott back at a nice rate, it's not. No need to rush Allen along at all. Give him the chance to come in and win the job if he outplays Elliott. Make him earn it.

Also remember, Cam Ward wasn't the starter during the regular season of his rookie year. His numbers during his in 2005-2006: 28 starts, 14-8-2, 3.68, .882. Not stellar numbers at all. It was after the team was down 0-2 in Round 1 that he came in and ripped off a classic performance.

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

dmiles2186 wrote:
glen a richter wrote:I don't know if he's 100% certainly the answer in goal for next season, but I don't see the harm in trying.
I can see some harm. This is a team that had 111 points in the regular season. If Jake comes in and the pressure is too much, you could set him back and this team back moving forward. Is that a risk worth taking? I say if we get Brian Elliott back at a nice rate, it's not. No need to rush Allen along at all. Give him the chance to come in and win the job if he outplays Elliott. Make him earn it.

Also remember, Cam Ward wasn't the starter during the regular season of his rookie year. His numbers during his in 2005-2006: 28 starts, 14-8-2, 3.68, .882. Not stellar numbers at all. It was after the team was down 0-2 in Round 1 that he came in and ripped off a classic performance.
When this team was falling off the face of the Earth, Halak was injured and Elliott was playing much like I, a non-hockey player, would be playing if I were drunk and trying to play NHL caliber hockey, who came in and settled things down? Jake Allen. I'm not even the slightest bit concerned that he'd crack under any sort of pressure. Ever.

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

glen a richter wrote:
dmiles2186 wrote:

When this team was falling off the face of the Earth, Halak was injured and Elliott was playing much like I, a non-hockey player, would be playing if I were drunk and trying to play NHL caliber hockey, who came in and settled things down? Jake Allen. I'm not even the slightest bit concerned that he'd crack under any sort of pressure. Ever.
If the team chooses to go your route, I'd fully support it. If they feel Allen is good to go, then I will. But in the back of my mind, I'll always have flashes of Rick Ankiel. Just never know when that might happen.

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

dmiles2186 wrote:
glen a richter wrote:
dmiles2186 wrote:

If the team chooses to go your route, I'd fully support it. If they feel Allen is good to go, then I will. But in the back of my mind, I'll always have flashes of Rick Ankiel. Just never know when that might happen.
Are you afraid every time Allen tries to play the puck he'll wildly shoot it over the boards for a delay of game penalty?

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

glen a richter wrote:
dmiles2186 wrote:
glen a richter wrote:
dmiles2186 wrote:

Are you afraid every time Allen tries to play the puck he'll wildly shoot it over the boards for a delay of game penalty?
The yips, man. Can't get out of his own head. Basic things become monumental to achieve.

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

dmiles2186 wrote:
glen a richter wrote:
dmiles2186 wrote:
glen a richter wrote:
dmiles2186 wrote:

Not everyone is a talent wasting star pitcher. And if he screws the pooch as a goalie, the team can convert him to the offensive superstar we're all pining for.

Not everyone is a talent-wasting star pitcher. And if Allen screws the pooch as a goalie, they can convert him to the offensive mega-star we all pine for.
The yips, man. Can't get out of his own head. Basic things become monumental to achieve.
Last edited by glen a richter on Sun May 04, 2014 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

dmiles2186 wrote:
glen a richter wrote:
dmiles2186 wrote:
glen a richter wrote:
dmiles2186 wrote:

Not everyone is a talent-wasting star pitcher. And if Allen screws the pooch as a goalie, they can convert him to the offensive mega-star we all pine for.
Not everyone is a talent wasting star pitcher. And if he screws the pooch as a goalie, the team can convert him to the offensive superstar we're all pining for.

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

I have no idea why that double posted and also why I can't delete the first one, but so be it.

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

glen a richter wrote:Not everyone is a talent wasting star pitcher. And if he screws the pooch as a goalie, the team can convert him to the offensive superstar we're all pining for.
'Talent wasting?' That's the point. Ankiel was a star, he was killing it. And then he just fell apart and couldn't get it back. I don't call that talent wasting. I mean, it's not like he didn't have a work ethic, he didn't have the stuff, he overrated, anything like that. He just had a mental block that completely forced him to change his position.

But I digress. I don't mean to hi-jack a goalie thread by talking Rick Ankiel. It's an extreme example, I know. But goalie is probably the most mentally draining position on the ice. There's nothing wrong with leaving the training wheels on too long. But if you take them off too early...

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

I'm with dmiles. If he earns it, you let him take it. But, I think it's best to go into the season with a plan of something like a 50-32 split with Allen getting 32. If he does great, sure, give him the chance to play more. It would be foolish to blindly make him the #2, but I think he should go into the year as a #2 with the opportunity to become a #1.
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2016-2017 Official LGB Sponsor of Dmitri Jaskin
2017-2018 Official LGB Sponsor of Jake Allen

STLADOGG
All-Star
All-Star

Post by STLADOGG »

Not next year.
Sign Miller to 2 years. Then when Miller leaves, Allen has a guy who taught him well and can step in, when ready.
Official Stalker of Paul "Speedy Gonzalez" Kariya
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
TW Tiger Woods TW

sseagle
All-Star
All-Star

Post by sseagle »

I didn't read any of that other shit...

HOW MANY GOALS DID HE SCORE THIS YEAR?
Official Chatzy Sponsor Extraordinaire - Just wait till we score four...

Official Sponsor of FlashChat.. why am I alone still?

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

STLADOGG wrote:Not next year.
Sign Miller to 2 years. Then when Miller leaves, Allen has a guy who taught him well and can step in, when ready.
Lesson one, young grasshopper: this is how you guarantee you make a family members wedding...