Roman Polak to Toronto for Carl Gunnarsson and Pick 94

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey.

Moderator: LGB Mods

Roman Polak to Toronto for Carl Gunnarsson and Pick 94

Postby dmiles2186 » Sat Jun 28, 2014 9:10 am





Last edited by dmiles2186 on Sat Jun 28, 2014 9:20 am, edited 2 times in total.
Image

Official 2013-2014 Sponsor Extraordinaire of Alex "Petro" Pietrangelo
User avatar
dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God
 
Posts: 5800
Joined: Mon Nov 20, 2006 12:29 am
Location: Selling Air Bombays--for kids who want to coach

Re: Roman Polak to Toronto for Carl Gunnarsson and Pick 94

Postby flyingnote38 » Sat Jun 28, 2014 9:14 am

Didn't see this coming
flyingnote38
2nd Line Scorer
2nd Line Scorer
 
Posts: 342
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2003 9:25 pm

Re: Roman Polak to Toronto for Carl Gunnarsson and Pick 94

Postby ViPeRx007 » Sat Jun 28, 2014 9:20 am

Who's going to have a door to open now?
Image
2013-2014 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Ryan Reaves
2011-2012 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
User avatar
ViPeRx007
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow
 
Posts: 9324
Joined: Thu Feb 20, 2003 3:08 pm
Location: Billings, MT

Re: Roman Polak to Toronto for Carl Gunnarsson and Pick 94

Postby dmiles2186 » Sat Jun 28, 2014 9:26 am

Let's go to the Leafs fans for a reaction!





Hmm....
Image

Official 2013-2014 Sponsor Extraordinaire of Alex "Petro" Pietrangelo
User avatar
dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God
 
Posts: 5800
Joined: Mon Nov 20, 2006 12:29 am
Location: Selling Air Bombays--for kids who want to coach

Re: Roman Polak to Toronto for Carl Gunnarsson and Pick 94

Postby ViPeRx007 » Sat Jun 28, 2014 9:30 am

I don't know much about Gunnarsson but he had the highest +/- rating on the Leafs last season on an otherwise poor defensive team. Highest, meaning he was actually +12. The next best was +2 with the rest being in the negatives. Some as low as -20's. Numbers wise, he seems fairly similar to Polak, although I doubt he's as tough...not many are.
Image
2013-2014 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Ryan Reaves
2011-2012 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
User avatar
ViPeRx007
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow
 
Posts: 9324
Joined: Thu Feb 20, 2003 3:08 pm
Location: Billings, MT

Re: Roman Polak to Toronto for Carl Gunnarsson and Pick 94

Postby APOD » Sat Jun 28, 2014 9:47 am

Kinda sad Polak will be missed, but I really think we came out on top on this one Gunnarsson is offensive minded should make the blue line a little more interesting. On the other hand Polak had a nasty hit and was a take no shit fighter....Gunnarsson is not but that may not be a bad thing.

Pick 94- Ville Husso - Goalie
Last edited by APOD on Sat Jun 28, 2014 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
2013-2014 LGB Sponsor of Chris Stewart / Steve Ott and the trade that made it happen!
2012-errr.......Just 2013 LGB Sponsor of Andy McDonald
User avatar
APOD
2nd Line Scorer
2nd Line Scorer
 
Posts: 341
Joined: Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:01 pm
Location: Lebanon, MO

Re: Roman Polak to Toronto for Carl Gunnarsson and Pick 94

Postby Jaykay » Sat Jun 28, 2014 9:55 am

well shit, i like polak a lot, he looks so bad ass, I would no like to face him on the wing :aaaa:

on the other side, it's not about looking bad ass, so since i don't know gunnarsson, i just hope it turns out good :okman:
Jaykay
4th Line Mucker
4th Line Mucker
 
Posts: 94
Joined: Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:52 am
Location: Biel, Bern

Re: Roman Polak to Toronto for Carl Gunnarsson and Pick 94

Postby WaukeeBlues » Sat Jun 28, 2014 10:32 am

Looks like we gave up toughness for some more sound defensive play and the Leafs added some toughness that they apparently felt they really needed.

I'm on the fence. Polak was that nasty, bruising defenseman that I think every team needs to have. Jackman can't do it anymore, Petro and Shatty don't play that way, we sure as heck aren't going to get it from Cole/Cola (if we re-sign him) or Leopold... hmmm.

But hell, we got a pick out of it, the Leafs took a bit of the cap hit, he appears to be a very responsible defenseman... hard to complain. Welcome to the 'Note Carl!
Image
User avatar
WaukeeBlues
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame
 
Posts: 4647
Joined: Sun Apr 08, 2007 3:00 pm
Location: Phi Alpha

Re: Roman Polak to Toronto for Carl Gunnarsson and Pick 94

Postby KrustyKevo » Sat Jun 28, 2014 10:44 am

I like this trade. Especially considering we got a pick
User avatar
KrustyKevo
4th Line Mucker
4th Line Mucker
 
Posts: 62
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2012 7:29 pm
Location: Dallas, Texas

Re: Roman Polak to Toronto for Carl Gunnarsson and Pick 94

Postby Krigloch the Furious » Sat Jun 28, 2014 10:44 am

Whatever, Still have to score to win.
User avatar
Krigloch the Furious
All-Star
All-Star
 
Posts: 1486
Joined: Sat Aug 06, 2005 12:58 pm
Location: Springfield, IL

Re: Roman Polak to Toronto for Carl Gunnarsson and Pick 94

Postby KrustyKevo » Sat Jun 28, 2014 10:46 am

Most of the Leafs fans on the hockey's future forum are saying they got robbed.
User avatar
KrustyKevo
4th Line Mucker
4th Line Mucker
 
Posts: 62
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2012 7:29 pm
Location: Dallas, Texas

Re: Roman Polak to Toronto for Carl Gunnarsson and Pick 94

Postby flyingnote38 » Sat Jun 28, 2014 12:39 pm

first reaction: Polak is only 28? Seriously?

second reaction: assuming Gunnarsson recovers from his hip surgery ok, this sure looks like highway robbery. We get better younger cheaper.....and a pick.....and they retain $200 K salary
flyingnote38
2nd Line Scorer
2nd Line Scorer
 
Posts: 342
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2003 9:25 pm

Re: Roman Polak to Toronto for Carl Gunnarsson and Pick 94

Postby JCShutout » Sat Jun 28, 2014 12:39 pm

I really really like Polak, but I think this is a good move, especially getting the 3rd rounder. You have to give value to get value.
Image
JCShutout
2nd Line Scorer
2nd Line Scorer
 
Posts: 358
Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2006 10:44 pm

Re: Roman Polak to Toronto for Carl Gunnarsson and Pick 94

Postby cprice12 » Sat Jun 28, 2014 2:12 pm

At first I wasn't so sure about this move....then after hearing how Gunnersson was more offensive, I figured, ok...sounds good. But then after actually looking at Gunnersson's numbers...he isn't more offensive minded at all.

He only has 3 more points than Polak last year, who is absolutely not offensive minded...and Polak had one more goal than Gunnersson...so I'm not sure where the offensive defenseman comments came from. Gunnersson seems to get 3 or 4 goals and in the low teens in assists each year. Offensive? Meh...no. :doh:

We saved some cap space because Toronto ate some of his salary.

Gunnersson's plus minus on a bad defensive team is nice to see, and there's the salary cap hit...but other than that, I can't think of a reason why this is a good move.
I can't recall seeing him play...so I can't comment on it too much.

Seeing as we are in the running for a cup next season, Armstrong feels this move makes our team better. So I guess I'll defer to his judgement, because I don't see the silver lining in this, other than saving a few hundred thousand in cap space and losing some toughness in our own zone (even though Gunnersson outhit Polak last year...but whatever).
Image
Image
User avatar
cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin
 
Posts: 19443
Joined: Thu Feb 20, 2003 1:26 am
Location: Center Ice

Re: Roman Polak to Toronto for Carl Gunnarsson and Pick 94

Postby APOD » Sat Jun 28, 2014 3:24 pm

"We paid a strong price to get what we hope is a strong player. (But) it was a deal that we were very comfortable making. We could have used (Barret) Jackman or (Ian) Cole in that position, as we've done in the past. But you're always looking to tweak your roster and we were able to do that."

So the Blues intentions are to pair Bouwmeester with Pietrangelo, Gunnarsson with Shattenkirk and Cole on the right side with either Jackman or Jordan Leopold.

"Ian has been wanting this responsibility for a number of years, and now he has the door wide open for that spot on the right side," Armstrong said. "I leave that up to the coaches, but in the thought process of making that trade, we want to get Ian into our group and he provides the size and power that we're losing in Roman. Then, we're going to have great competition between Jackman and Leopold, rounding out our group."

Armstrong added that Gunnarsson's ability to play with a top defenseman and against the opponents' best offensive players allows the Blues to split up the pair of Bouwmeester and Pietrangelo if the team desires.

Gunnarrson averaged 19 minutes, 24 seconds of ice time per game in 2013-14, playing primarily with Phaneuf. He had three goals and 17 points, but perhaps more importantly was his plus-12 rating on a team that ranked No. 26 in the NHL in goals-against (3.07 per game).

"I talked to guys that have played against him and some of our own players that know him...he's a quick first-pass player, reads the game well, defends with his head," Armstrong said. "We believe the strength of our team is to get the puck up and attack. We want to give the centerman the puck at the right spot and Gunnarsson does that."
2013-2014 LGB Sponsor of Chris Stewart / Steve Ott and the trade that made it happen!
2012-errr.......Just 2013 LGB Sponsor of Andy McDonald
User avatar
APOD
2nd Line Scorer
2nd Line Scorer
 
Posts: 341
Joined: Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:01 pm
Location: Lebanon, MO

Re: Roman Polak to Toronto for Carl Gunnarsson and Pick 94

Postby Misc. Blues » Sat Jun 28, 2014 3:50 pm

I like this move a lot. Polak is an average d-man on any other team. He served the Blues well. He will be missed but Gunnarsson is a Top 4 d-man IMO. We just fleeced the Leafs and got a bonus pick who is now Goalie Ville Husso. Toews will have a harder time getting by this guy, he really knows the game. Another puzzle piece in place. Good job Army.

Carl Gunnarsson
Elite Prospects wrote:A steady two-way defenseman who is often in the right place at the right time. Not overly physical, but reads the game well and has a knack for putting himself in a good position againt opposing attackers. Could probably do more offensively since he's a good passer.
The Detoilet "dude bangs" ©®™... suck...repeatedly and often... ;)
User avatar
Misc. Blues
Hockey God
Hockey God
 
Posts: 7222
Joined: Thu Feb 20, 2003 10:02 am
Location: In Hiding

Re: Roman Polak to Toronto for Carl Gunnarsson and Pick 94

Postby ViPeRx007 » Sat Jun 28, 2014 4:28 pm

APOD wrote:
"We paid a strong price to get what we hope is a strong player. (But) it was a deal that we were very comfortable making. We could have used (Barret) Jackman or (Ian) Cole in that position, as we've done in the past. But you're always looking to tweak your roster and we were able to do that."

So the Blues intentions are to pair Bouwmeester with Pietrangelo, Gunnarsson with Shattenkirk and Cole on the right side with either Jackman or Jordan Leopold.

"Ian has been wanting this responsibility for a number of years, and now he has the door wide open for that spot on the right side," Armstrong said. "I leave that up to the coaches, but in the thought process of making that trade, we want to get Ian into our group and he provides the size and power that we're losing in Roman. Then, we're going to have great competition between Jackman and Leopold, rounding out our group."

Armstrong added that Gunnarsson's ability to play with a top defenseman and against the opponents' best offensive players allows the Blues to split up the pair of Bouwmeester and Pietrangelo if the team desires.

Gunnarrson averaged 19 minutes, 24 seconds of ice time per game in 2013-14, playing primarily with Phaneuf. He had three goals and 17 points, but perhaps more importantly was his plus-12 rating on a team that ranked No. 26 in the NHL in goals-against (3.07 per game).

"I talked to guys that have played against him and some of our own players that know him...he's a quick first-pass player, reads the game well, defends with his head," Armstrong said. "We believe the strength of our team is to get the puck up and attack. We want to give the centerman the puck at the right spot and Gunnarsson does that."


So now we just need a centerman...
Image
2013-2014 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Ryan Reaves
2011-2012 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
User avatar
ViPeRx007
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow
 
Posts: 9324
Joined: Thu Feb 20, 2003 3:08 pm
Location: Billings, MT

Re: Roman Polak to Toronto for Carl Gunnarsson and Pick 94

Postby APOD » Sat Jun 28, 2014 4:37 pm

cprice12 wrote:At first I wasn't so sure about this move....then after hearing how Gunnersson was more offensive, I figured, ok...sounds good. But then after actually looking at Gunnersson's numbers...he isn't more offensive minded at all.

He only has 3 more points than Polak last year, who is absolutely not offensive minded...and Polak had one more goal than Gunnersson...so I'm not sure where the offensive defenseman comments came from. Gunnersson seems to get 3 or 4 goals and in the low teens in assists each year. Offensive? Meh...no. :doh:

sure the numbers are similar but Polak had twice as many SOG leading me to GUESS Gunnarsson will get more chances here leading to more scoring.
More hits more blocked shots too I think we made out.


Gunnersson's plus minus on a bad defensive team is nice to see, and there's the salary cap hit...but other than that, I can't think of a reason why this is a good move.
I can't recall seeing him play...so I can't comment on it too much.

Yea it is his plus-12 rating on a team that ranked No. 26 in the NHL in goals-against (3.07 per game).
2013-2014 LGB Sponsor of Chris Stewart / Steve Ott and the trade that made it happen!
2012-errr.......Just 2013 LGB Sponsor of Andy McDonald
User avatar
APOD
2nd Line Scorer
2nd Line Scorer
 
Posts: 341
Joined: Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:01 pm
Location: Lebanon, MO

Re: Roman Polak to Toronto for Carl Gunnarsson and Pick 94

Postby dmiles2186 » Sat Jun 28, 2014 5:47 pm

I also read that Gunnarsson played more minutes than Polak, and because he was paired with Phaneuf, he was playing other teams' top guys quite a bit. Numbers aside, we traded a 2nd/borderline 3rd pair Dman for a 2nd pair Dman and a pick to boot. On paper, that's a win. But I'm going to miss Polak. That guy was a beast for us. We'll always have this...

Image

Official 2013-2014 Sponsor Extraordinaire of Alex "Petro" Pietrangelo
User avatar
dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God
 
Posts: 5800
Joined: Mon Nov 20, 2006 12:29 am
Location: Selling Air Bombays--for kids who want to coach

Re: Roman Polak to Toronto for Carl Gunnarsson and Pick 94

Postby KrustyKevo » Sat Jun 28, 2014 6:08 pm

Misc. Blues wrote:I like this move a lot. Polak is an average d-man on any other team. He served the Blues well. He will be missed but Gunnarsson is a Top 4 d-man IMO. We just fleeced the Leafs and got a bonus pick who is now Goalie Ville Husso. Toews will have a harder time getting by this guy, he really knows the game. Another puzzle piece in place. Good job Army.

Carl Gunnarsson
Elite Prospects wrote:A steady two-way defenseman who is often in the right place at the right time. Not overly physical, but reads the game well and has a knack for putting himself in a good position againt opposing attackers. Could probably do more offensively since he's a good passer.


Absolutely. This is pretty much my thoughts on this trade.
User avatar
KrustyKevo
4th Line Mucker
4th Line Mucker
 
Posts: 62
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2012 7:29 pm
Location: Dallas, Texas

Next

Return to St. Louis Blues Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], ViPeRx007 and 4 guests