UPDATED 9/27/14: Schwartz Signed

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

goon attack
Hockey God
Hockey God

Re: Schwartz

Post by goon attack »

He scored 25 goals and then did jack squat in the playoffs and he's feeling uppity?

:grin:

Trade his ass now, I say. His size doesn't bode well for him in the playoffs, so screw him.
Official 2023-'24 Sponsor of: Dua Lipa, Craig Berube, and yoga pants

'22-'23: Kim Wexler; '21-'22: Slayyyter; '21: fat chicks and covid-19; '19-'20: Taco Bell's Spicy Tostada (discontinued); '18-'19: Bhad Bhabie; '17-'18 Pitbull.'16-'17: Donald J. Trump, Black Lives Matter, and Karlie Kloss; '15-'16: the Hadids; '14-'15: $17.8+ trillion U.S. national debt; '13-'14: another season of bitter disappointment; '13: communism; '11-'12: Vlad Sobotka and fake, drunken lesbianism; '10-'11: Ryan Reaves, Bo Derek's cans, Willow Palin, and the new Lightning logo; '09-'10: the epic destruction of the Politics Forum; '08-'09: Sandy Miller

ViPeRx007
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by ViPeRx007 »

goon attack wrote:He scored 25 goals and then did jack squat in the playoffs and he's feeling uppity?

Trade his ass now, I say. His size doesn't bode well for him in the playoffs, so screw him.
That's part of my feeling from my last post in this thread. I'm upset that he thinks he deserves some huge contract. He hasn't really done that much. Yea, he has the potential to get bigger and better but he hasn't actually done it yet. Show us something and I guarantee you'll get paid.

It's BS. Anything he gets paid is going to be more than what most of the people in the country make anyway. It's a joke. Take your millions and shut up.

What they should do is have a salary structure where everyone has the exact same base salary, or maybe it's somehow based on experience and previous seasons. It should be something fairly generous, but not crazy, and then each stat has dollar amounts associated with that would add onto it over the course of a season. Every goal gets them $X, every assist is $x, and so on. The better you play, the better the pay. That would get rid of these prima donna's who think they deserve millions for doing nothing.

Most of these idiots can barely function outside of hockey anyway so you know they'd still do it....actually, if I'm being honest, hockey players seem to be more intelligent than most other pro sports athletes. They might be fine outside of hockey, but NFL players wouldn't be. A lot of those guys are as dumb as shit.
2015-2016 Official LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz (IR) & The Hockey Gods
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of T.J. Oshie
2013-2014 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Ryan Reaves
2011-2012 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

ViPeRx007 wrote:It's BS. Anything he gets paid is going to be more than what most of the people in the country make anyway. It's a joke. Take your millions and shut up.
Why do we do this with athletes? I know they get paid way, way more than any of us, but how is what they do any different from any of us asking for a raise? It's not like Schwartz is asking for $6m a year. From what I've read, Schwartz's camp is asking closer to $3m a season, and the Blues want to go closer to $2m. Schwartz was the 4th leading scorer on this team last year. Would you not want to be paid more than guys you outperformed last year? There's no guarantees either. Say he takes less money, then has a career ending injury before his next deal. You've only got a small window in sports to make what you think you're worth. Gotta get while the gettin' is good.

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

ViPeRx007
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by ViPeRx007 »

dmiles2186 wrote:
ViPeRx007 wrote:It's BS. Anything he gets paid is going to be more than what most of the people in the country make anyway. It's a joke. Take your millions and shut up.
Why do we do this with athletes? I know they get paid way, way more than any of us, but how is what they do any different from any of us asking for a raise?
It's probably because our raises typically don't jump up millions of dollars every year. That's quite a bit different from us.

Maybe it's jealousy. It's just hard to feel sorry for them when they say they feel underpaid. It's all demographics and statuses though, I suppose. They're in a different world that doesn't really compare to the normal world.

Misc. Blues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Misc. Blues »

dmiles2186 wrote:
Why do we do this with athletes? I know they get paid way, way more than any of us, but how is what they do any different from any of us asking for a raise? It's not like Schwartz is asking for $6m a year. From what I've read, Schwartz's camp is asking closer to $3m a season, and the Blues want to go closer to $2m. Schwartz was the 4th leading scorer on this team last year. Would you not want to be paid more than guys you outperformed last year? There's no guarantees either. Say he takes less money, then has a career ending injury before his next deal. You've only got a small window in sports to make what you think you're worth. Gotta get while the gettin' is good.
You have a point but you gotta look at it different here. In the real world(not hockey) should a 1st-2nd year employee get the same pay as a 5th year employee? I don't think so even if they do the same job as me. They may be the best thing since powered milk but why should they get paid more and not pay their dues like everyone before them had to pay. That's how prices go up for us. People seem to forget that the more NHL players make it costs us more money. You know for tickets, drinks, food, jerseys or whatever else NHL item we want. Billionaires don't lose money unless they want to or they wouldn't be billionaires to begin with. They just pass the costs on to us the consumer. That's how they stay rich.

In hockey why should a 3rd year player get more? As we know there are plenty of players that are 1-2 wonders. #1 draft picks can't make the team 4 years later...just ask Paajarvi...Schwartz might be one of those players that becomes great but as you said their are no guarantees. Look at Stewart. He played great got paid more than he was worth and you get half the player now. Schwartz needs to take the money and play but he needs to earn it like everyone else.
2016-2017 official sponsor of Alex Pietrangelo (aka Captain Pie)
2015-2016 official sponsor of Jori Lehtera (aka Yorry)
2014-2015 official sponsor of Jay Bouwmeester (aka Jay-bo)
I hate the Shitcago "Black Holes"©®™...they really suck that much...
The Detoilet "dude bangs" ©®™... suck too...repeatedly and more often... ;)

Misc. Blues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Misc. Blues »

What’s Jaden Schwartz waiting to hear from Blues?
By Greg Wyshynski
6 hours ago
Puck Daddy

One of my favorite moments when we interviewed NHL No. 1 draft pick Aaron Ekblad on “Marek Vs. Wyshynski” was when he admitted that CapGeek.com was the hockey site he frequented the most. Hey, players are just like us: Curious about other contracts and their team’s own cap situation.
So one wonders if Jaden Schwartz’s Internet is down.

Cap Geek tells us that the St. Louis Blues have $2.783 million in cap space, with 23 players currently under contract, 21 of them on one-way deals. It tells us that Schwartz is a restricted free agent who doesn’t have enough games to his credit to be eligible for an offer sheet. It tells that that Cam Atkinson of the Columbus Blue Jackets, who has similar numbers in a similar amount of games played, is making $1.15 million against the cap.

It also tells us that the Blues have roughly 10 players due for new contracts in Summer 2015, among them goalie Jake Allen and forward Vladamir Tarasenko, who will be directly affected by whatever the Blues give Schwartz.

GM Doug Armstrong is a funny guy. He opened the purse strings for free agents this summer, including that $7 million cap hit for Paul Stastny. But he can play hardball with the best of them when it comes to talent already on the roster, which is partly why Vlad Sobotka is playing in Russia this season.

"We have to find common ground that Jaden's comfortable with, that the St. Louis Blues are comfortable with. There's a host of dynamics that are involved from his performance on the ice, his character off the ice. He's got two check marks in both of those areas,” said Armstrong, via In The Slot.

“Now we have to look at the collective bargaining agreement and use the system to put him in where he should be based on his play and also based on the right that he has and based on the right the team has."

The St. Louis Dispatch has reported that Schwartz and the Blues are about $1 million apart in their talks. It’s a manageable gap, one assumes, but with the Blues’ cap situation, Armstrong’s battling for every cent. And he and the team have the high ground, for sure.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck- ... c_src=copy

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

Training camp has started and Schwartz is not there.

I'm kind of mad now.
Official 2021-2022 LGB Sponsor of Torey Krug
Official 2021 LGB Sponsor of Brayden Schenn
Official 2018-2019 LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2018 LGB Playoff Challenge Champ
Official 2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
Official 2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Scottie Upshall
Official 2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk

JesusNEVERexisted
All-Star
All-Star

Post by JesusNEVERexisted »

How can the Blues be looking to sign Bissonette and Whitney when they don't even have enough cap space for Schwartz?

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

JesusNEVERexisted wrote:How can the Blues be looking to sign Bissonette and Whitney when they don't even have enough cap space for Schwartz?
They're not going to sign either.
LETS GO BLUES RADIO
LIVE weekly broadcasts on YouTube & http://www.LetsGoBlues.com/radio!
Twitter: https://twitter.com/curtprice
Lets Go Blues Radio Twitter: https://twitter.com/lgbradio
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cprice12/
Lets Go Blues Radio Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lgbradio/

JesusNEVERexisted
All-Star
All-Star

cprice12 wrote:
JesusNEVERexisted wrote:How can the Blues be looking to sign Bissonette and Whitney when they don't even have enough cap space for Schwartz?
Then why would Army (or the team) invite them to camp if there is zero chance of them being signed?

ViPeRx007
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by ViPeRx007 »

JesusNEVERexisted wrote:
cprice12 wrote:
Then why would Army (or the team) invite them to camp if there is zero chance of them being signed?
Extra bodies.

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

JesusNEVERexisted wrote:
cprice12 wrote:
Here's some FACTS for you Jesus Hatin' TROLLZ! out there! Teams invite veterans to camp all the time! Doesn't mean they'll make the team! Freddie Prinze, Jr. said that a guy like Bissonette could add toughness to any team! WHY wouldn't the BLUES give him an audition?! Ron Jacober's mother even said that Ryan Whitney was here last year and didn't sign, but then signed with the Florida PANTHERS, but they still brought him back this year! They must really like Ryan Whitney as a camp body! BARFLENUGEN!

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

JesusNEVERexisted wrote:
cprice12 wrote:
To push other guys. To get more bodies in camp. In case we suffer some injuries in camp, we have opitons to sign to bridge the gap until they return. Or if they really, really look good for some reason, they may give them a shot...but that most likely won't happen. Reaves just signed a new contact. So Bissonette isn't taking his job. And Whitney isn't cracking our lineup...if he does, we have issues. Barring injuries or freakishly good play by either player and freakishly bad play by others, they won't be signing with the Note.
LETS GO BLUES RADIO
LIVE weekly broadcasts on YouTube & http://www.LetsGoBlues.com/radio!
Twitter: https://twitter.com/curtprice
Lets Go Blues Radio Twitter: https://twitter.com/lgbradio
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cprice12/
Lets Go Blues Radio Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lgbradio/

ecbm
All-Star
All-Star

Post by ecbm »

ViPeRx007 wrote:
goon attack wrote:He scored 25 goals and then did jack squat in the playoffs and he's feeling uppity?

That's part of my feeling from my last post in this thread. I'm upset that he thinks he deserves some huge contract.
See, this is what I mean about reflexively, uncritically taking the side of the club. That's an assumption based on nothing more than that he hasn't taken an offer yet. I assume you don't take the first offer in every negotiation. (If that's wrong, let me know-I'd like to do business with you.) Given that, I don't think it's to be assumed that Schwartz is unreasonable. We recently lost a forward who had given a couple seasons of good production at below-market rate over $300K. The club is just as likely lowballing him. Reality is probably somewhere between those poles.
He hasn't really done that much.
You must be really pissed at the Berglund signing. Anyway, yes, that's one way of seeing it. He only had one really good season. But in that season, he showed pure goal scoring ability. That's what the Blues lack. I'm not sanguine about letting a potential 30 goal guy walk. If he's asking for what Johansen is-forget it. Anywhere near the market-get him signed.

With the cap coming up again, let me say again-the FO has made a hash of this summer. It's pretty clear that this is part of the problem with Schwartz and I want to ram my head into a wall repeatedly when I remember that we have $6M+ tied up in Ott & Berglund.

ViPeRx007
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by ViPeRx007 »

ecbm wrote:
ViPeRx007 wrote:

That's part of my feeling from my last post in this thread. I'm upset that he thinks he deserves some huge contract.
See, this is what I mean about reflexively, uncritically taking the side of the club. That's an assumption based on nothing more than that he hasn't taken an offer yet. I assume you don't take the first offer in every negotiation. (If that's wrong, let me know-I'd like to do business with you.) Given that, I don't think it's to be assumed that Schwartz is unreasonable. We recently lost a forward who had given a couple seasons of good production at below-market rate over $300K. The club is just as likely lowballing him. Reality is probably somewhere between those poles.
He hasn't really done that much.
You must be really pissed at the Berglund signing. Anyway, yes, that's one way of seeing it. He only had one really good season. But in that season, he showed pure goal scoring ability. That's what the Blues lack. I'm not sanguine about letting a potential 30 goal guy walk. If he's asking for what Johansen is-forget it. Anywhere near the market-get him signed.

With the cap coming up again, let me say again-the FO has made a hash of this summer. It's pretty clear that this is part of the problem with Schwartz and I want to ram my head into a wall repeatedly when I remember that we have $6M+ tied up in Ott & Berglund.
I am kind of pissed about the Berglund signing. It cost us Sobotka, IMO. I'd much rather have him than Berglund.

Just get Schwartz signed. He's worth whatever stupid numbers they're haggling over. Like you said, unless this is a Johansen situation, which I haven't seen any indication that it's anything like that, just sign him already. The last report I saw said the difference was somewhere around $1 mil. Come on. If they're that hard up for money, they royally screwed up. They should be fighting with signing Ott right now instead of Schwartz...that's the part that pisses me off too.

ComradeT
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by ComradeT »

dmiles2186 wrote:
JesusNEVERexisted wrote:
cprice12 wrote:
Here's some FACTS for you Jesus Hatin' TROLLZ! out there! Teams invite veterans to camp all the time! Doesn't mean they'll make the team! Freddie Prinze, Jr. said that a guy like Bissonette could add toughness to any team! WHY wouldn't the BLUES give him an audition?! Ron Jacober's mother even said that Ryan Whitney was here last year and didn't sign, but then signed with the Florida PANTHERS, but they still brought him back this year! They must really like Ryan Whitney as a camp body! BARFLENUGEN!
BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! Dmiles, you have outdone yourself. To earlier post though (the one about why we do this to athletes). I can't remember asking for a 50% raise from my boss. Ever. I had a couple of great years, getting stellar reviews, etc. But I still took what was given, smiled and said thank you. Granted, it's a different world, different pay structure, etc. But I'm tired of players with one good year under their belt trying to bend the teams out of shape to get what they want. Get what you're offered, continue performing and you'll get paid. If not by the Blues, then by another team impressed enough by your achievements. In this day and age, with modern medical advances, career-ending injuries are becoming much more rare, so the only thing that drives this is greed, not so much fear. There, I said it.
2018 - 2019 Official sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
2017 - 2018 Official sponsor of Joel "Top Shelf" Edmundson
2016 - 2017 Official sponsor of Nail "THE YAK" Yakupov

JesusNEVERexisted
All-Star
All-Star

Yeah it's just greed, plain and simple. It's true the owners have it too but they are not the ice so the fans are affected more personally if a player doesn't show up due to greed.

Plus the owners can't be THAT greedy. NHL owners are the least profitworthy. If you want to get rich being an owner then own an NFL team!

Misc. Blues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Misc. Blues »

JesusNEVERexisted wrote:Yeah it's just greed, plain and simple. It's true the owners have it too but they are not the ice so the fans are affected more personally if a player doesn't show up due to greed.

Plus the owners can't be THAT greedy. NHL owners are the least profitworthy. If you want to get rich being an owner then own an NFL team!

I hate asking but Huh? The owners are the ice? Profitworthy(not a word)? ...and the Toronto Maple Leafs, New York Rangers, Montreal Canadiens, Chicago Blackhawks and Boston Bruins would argue with getting rich.

http://www.forbes.com/nhl-valuations/list

ViPeRx007
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by ViPeRx007 »

Misc. Blues wrote:
JesusNEVERexisted wrote:Yeah it's just greed, plain and simple. It's true the owners have it too but they are not the ice so the fans are affected more personally if a player doesn't show up due to greed.

I hate asking but Huh? The owners are the ice? Profitworthy(not a word)? ...and the Toronto Maple Leafs, New York Rangers, Montreal Canadiens, Chicago Blackhawks and Boston Bruins would argue with getting rich.

Well, in his defense, that $1 billion for the Leafs is pretty poor compared to the Dallas Cowboys' $3.4 billion. That's nearly 3.5x's more! AKA REAL rich. Even Burt Reynolds said that!

JesusNEVERexisted
All-Star
All-Star

Misc. Blues wrote:
JesusNEVERexisted wrote:Yeah it's just greed, plain and simple. It's true the owners have it too but they are not the icdeal the fans are affected more personally if a playeis doesn't show up due to greed.

There is a LOT more profit and revenue in owning an NFL team as opposed to an NHL team. Right off the bat the NFL has a multi billion dollar TV deal that owners get a slice of. I doubt the NHL deal is even worth 1 billion but regardless the NFL gets BILLIONS more in TV revenue alone than the NHL.