Hall of Fame G Martin Brodeur is coming to the Blues!

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Re: Hall of Fame G Martin Brodeur is coming to the Blues!

Post by cardsfan04 »

cprice12 wrote:If he impresses in the tryout, maybe they sign him on the cheap to fill in. I dunno. It can't hurt to bring him in and kick the tires. Nothing wrong with having options.

This does have me a bit concerned though that Elliott's injury might be serious... because I don't know if Brodeur would just want to fill in until Elliott returns, because if Elliott comes back after missing 20 games, then what? They release Brodeur? He's cool with that? I don't think so.

I'm cautiously concerned right now.
Completely agree. I don't mind them seeing what he has left for a few days. But, that exact scenario crossed my mind. Allen and Elliott aren't going anywhere. What do you do when you have 3 healthy goalies? Could Brodeur have any trade value lol?

Binnington won't have to clear waivers to go back to the AHL at some point, will he? I'm sure he's on a 2-way contract. That means he doesn't have to clear waivers after 10 games, right? If he does, I would instantly be much more in favor of this.
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2016-2017 Official LGB Sponsor of Dmitri Jaskin
2017-2018 Official LGB Sponsor of Jake Allen

JesusNEVERexisted
All-Star
All-Star

Post by JesusNEVERexisted »

F Keenan wrote:
JesusNEVERexisted wrote:Did you guys hear last year that Freddy Braithwaite was looking for one last chance? Maybe they should sign him! :lol:
Source?
They mentioned it during a hockey radio show on KMOX last year that after winning an MVP award in the Deutsche Elite League he was looking for one last chance in the NHL. I looked him up and it says he retired so I guess he never got that chance. Unless the Blues call him up! :grin:

NewarkDevil5
Prospect
Prospect

Post by NewarkDevil5 »

Well for better or worse, this cements the St Louis Blues as my favorite non-Devils team whether he plays or not.

ViPeRx007
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by ViPeRx007 »

NewarkDevil5 wrote:Well for better or worse, this cements the St Louis Blues as my favorite non-Devils team whether he plays or not.
This seems to be the sentiment in almost all comment sections around the internet regarding this story. Welcome!

Personally, I don't know. I'm like dmiles. I'm torn. You can add whatever you want to in front of Martin Brodeur's name, be it legendary, hall-of-famer, what have you, and that's cool sounding on paper, but the only one that matters right now to me is "42-year old". It's not the same guy who earned the other titles. It can't be. That being said, a 42-year-old Brodeur could still possibly be better than a lot of other options. I just don't know. Nobody does.

This has to mean the news on Elliott isn't good, otherwise I don't get it, unless management already doesn't feel comfortable with Ells/Allen, which also doesn't make much sense. Neither has played bad. Maybe they aren't posting insane numbers but they're doing the job and, frankly, are the least of my own concerns about the team. Maybe Doug Armstrong read that ESPN article that, for some reason, had Elliott as the 2nd worst goalie in the league...

I just feel bad for Elliott. He finally gets his shot and this happens.
2015-2016 Official LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz (IR) & The Hockey Gods
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of T.J. Oshie
2013-2014 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Ryan Reaves
2011-2012 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko

NewarkDevil5
Prospect
Prospect

Post by NewarkDevil5 »

ViPeRx007 wrote:
NewarkDevil5 wrote:Well for better or worse, this cements the St Louis Blues as my favorite non-Devils team whether he plays or not.
This seems to be the sentiment in almost all comment sections around the internet regarding this story. Welcome!

Personally, I don't know. I'm like dmiles. I'm torn. You can add whatever you want to in front of Martin Brodeur's name, be it legendary, hall-of-famer, what have you, and that's cool sounding on paper, but the only one that matters right now to me is "42-year old". It's not the same guy who earned the other titles. It can't be. That being said, a 42-year-old Brodeur could still possibly be better than a lot of other options. I just don't know. Nobody does.
Oh, believe me, you're not getting a Marty Brodeur whose playing level is at anywhere near his legendary levels. You're getting a guy who is just barely a passable NHL goalie at this point with the ego of a full out Hall of Famer. I hope he gets his 12 wins and finishes his career at 700 and that'll be that.

ViPeRx007
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by ViPeRx007 »

Martin, whatever you do, just keep the helmet white...

Trust me.
2015-2016 Official LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz (IR) & The Hockey Gods
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of T.J. Oshie
2013-2014 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Ryan Reaves
2011-2012 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko

goon attack
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by goon attack »

I hear Jacque Plante is looking to hook up with a team for one last go at it. Oh, he's dead? So what..... just trot his decomposed corpse out there.
Official 2023-'24 Sponsor of: Dua Lipa, Craig Berube, and yoga pants

'22-'23: Kim Wexler; '21-'22: Slayyyter; '21: fat chicks and covid-19; '19-'20: Taco Bell's Spicy Tostada (discontinued); '18-'19: Bhad Bhabie; '17-'18 Pitbull.'16-'17: Donald J. Trump, Black Lives Matter, and Karlie Kloss; '15-'16: the Hadids; '14-'15: $17.8+ trillion U.S. national debt; '13-'14: another season of bitter disappointment; '13: communism; '11-'12: Vlad Sobotka and fake, drunken lesbianism; '10-'11: Ryan Reaves, Bo Derek's cans, Willow Palin, and the new Lightning logo; '09-'10: the epic destruction of the Politics Forum; '08-'09: Sandy Miller

APOD
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by APOD »

ViPeRx007 wrote:Martin, whatever you do, just keep the helmet white...

Trust me.
LOL

He should put a blue devil on his mask lol
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor or Brian Elliott
2014-2015 LGB Sponsor of Jori Lehtera
2013-2014 LGB Sponsor of Chris Stewart / Steve Ott and the trade that made it happen!
2012-errr.......Just 2013 LGB Sponsor of Andy McDonald

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

Maybe Panger can suit up if need be.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

Oaklandblue
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Oaklandblue »

The one thing that almost 50 years in the league should have shown us is that, with exception, goaltending ain't our issue; offense is.

We've signed the greatest netminders in the league. Players from Glenn Hall, Jacques Plante, Mike Liut, the list goes on. And on. And on. The STL is where many legendary netminders go to pretty much die. Signing Brodeur continues this legacy and I'm sorry, but we're trying to win a Cup, not sell sweaters. He doesn't help us.

If he was still the Great Marty, the Devils would be running tandem and refusing to say which netminder was a starter. Marty IS the Devils franchise, make no mistake about that and for them to let him go and not work a tandem unit out of even respect, says everything you need to know here. The Pens kept their problematic netminder and said on no uncertain terms that they not only had faith in him, but paid him far more than he'll ever be worth. How would you feel if you were Marty and you saw that, the greatest netminder who pretty much played the game?

The why is simple: Marty is old. Marty isn't what everyone remembers, and that rememberance is all that we'd be signing him for. As a backup who plays a very limited amount of games makes no sense in terms of Marty; he wants to be a starter and refused to play in NJ as a backup, which is really where he is physically now. If we sign him, we're signing him as a starter and Hitch seems ridiculous happy about starting him. Bad idea. Big mistake.

With Elliott down and Jake Allen the upcoming face of the franchise. It's Jake's time. Marty takes a backseat or Marty leaves. I'd rather have a Cup than a sweater with Brodeur's name on it.

Something To Consider: Can Brodeur still do it? Would you really take a chance on a 40+ year old netminder? We did once already and he stood on his head and we didn't win because offense didn't come to bat. Take a lesson and sign players like Eberle. Strengthen the offense and let the future take hold at net, not the past.
2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Alexander Steen
2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Jaromir Jagr, Calgary Flames
2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Brian Elliott, Calgary Flames
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Ryan "Turn that leaf on the wind into a shrimp on the bar-bee" Reaves
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Obviously Not Steve Ott
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Steve "Chirps-A-Lot" Ott
2015 LGB Supporter of the New York Rangers
2014-2015 LGB Sponsor of Patrik "No-Timer" Berglund
2013-2014 LGB Sponsor of Derek "In The Middle" Roy
2012-2013 LGB Sponsor of Chris "NO SLEEP TIL THE CUP!" Stewart - Shhhhh!!!

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

Oaklandblue wrote:The one thing that almost 50 years in the league should have shown us is that, with exception, goaltending ain't our issue; offense is.

We've signed the greatest netminders in the league. Players from Glenn Hall, Jacques Plante, Mike Liut, the list goes on. And on. And on. The STL is where many legendary netminders go to pretty much die. Signing Brodeur continues this legacy and I'm sorry, but we're trying to win a Cup, not sell sweaters. He doesn't help us.

If he was still the Great Marty, the Devils would be running tandem and refusing to say which netminder was a starter. Marty IS the Devils franchise, make no mistake about that and for them to let him go and not work a tandem unit out of even respect, says everything you need to know here. The Pens kept their problematic netminder and said on no uncertain terms that they not only had faith in him, but paid him far more than he'll ever be worth. How would you feel if you were Marty and you saw that, the greatest netminder who pretty much played the game?

The why is simple: Marty is old. Marty isn't what everyone remembers, and that rememberance is all that we'd be signing him for. As a backup who plays a very limited amount of games makes no sense in terms of Marty; he wants to be a starter and refused to play in NJ as a backup, which is really where he is physically now. If we sign him, we're signing him as a starter and Hitch seems ridiculous happy about starting him. Bad idea. Big mistake.

With Elliott down and Jake Allen the upcoming face of the franchise. It's Jake's time. Marty takes a backseat or Marty leaves. I'd rather have a Cup than a sweater with Brodeur's name on it.

Something To Consider: Can Brodeur still do it? Would you really take a chance on a 40+ year old netminder? We did once already and he stood on his head and we didn't win because offense didn't come to bat. Take a lesson and sign players like Eberle. Strengthen the offense and let the future take hold at net, not the past.
I see this almost 100% opposite of you. I don't think they are signing him for his name (although his name is what makes the story exciting). If that were the case, he wouldn't be in day 4 of trying out. He'd already have a contract. The thing is, we don't need him to be legendary Brodeur. We need him to be better than Bryzgalov or whichever goaltender we signed as a backup instead. I can't say with 100% certainty that he won't take over the starting role, but I'm not too worried that he will. Allen should be starting with Brodeur getting a few starts here and there. I haven't heard anybody in the organization say Brodeur would be the starter. I sure hope not.

Also, this isn't comparable to the other goalies you mentioned or Eberle. If this happens, it is a stop gap backup goaltending signing. Eberle wouldn't fill in for an injured Elliott and they didn't decide to chase an aging legend to build a team around. Elliott got hurt and they are exploring an option to get us from point A (now) to point B (when Elliott is healthy).

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

Besides . . .

[tweet][/tweet]

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

If this is going to be Allens team eventually and Lundstrom is already under contract, why is Brodeur here? Allen is getting all the starts anyway, Binny can go back to Chicago and keep developing and Lundstrom can rot on the bench instead. Lord knows he'll never be a regular nhler anyway.

Toasted Oates
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by Toasted Oates »

I know Hitch seems really giddy about the old vet, but he's usually weird with the media and gets too excited. Surely to the gods he's not going to bury Jake Allen to clear the way for his man crush.....then again I don't know that Brodeur would want to take a back seat to a youngster, especially if he's playing well (MONSTER if). Tough situation, but if they win, who cares? Besides, Jake is starting at the basketball arena on Wednesday and that's all that matters right this second.
2016-2017 LGB sponsor of your boy, goaltender Jake Allen and a center for Vladi Tarasenko (UPDATE: FOUND! Ryan O' Reilly. July 1, 2018).
2017-2018 LGB sponsor of a damn fine rearguard, Capt. Alex Pietrangelo.
2018-2019 LGB sponsor of the 2nd greatest Joel in Blues history, #6 Joel "Eddy" Edmundson.

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

glen a richter wrote:If this is going to be Allens team eventually and Lundstrom is already under contract, why is Brodeur here? Allen is getting all the starts anyway, Binny can go back to Chicago and keep developing and Lundstrom can rot on the bench instead. Lord knows he'll never be a regular nhler anyway.
Because if Ells is going to be out for a little while at least, they'll need someone who can actually start a game or two here and there. And besides, I see absolutely nothing wrong with one of the greatest goalies of all time showing our guys how it's done. That means practice, preparation on and off the ice, how he carries himself...

To me, none of this is bad. This isn't butting in on Ells or Allen. It's just a solid signing (if it happens) of a veteran who just so happens to be an all time leader in several categories, not to mention, a 3 time Cup winner.

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

JesusNEVERexisted
All-Star
All-Star

Post by JesusNEVERexisted »

glen a richter wrote:Maybe Panger can suit up if need be.
One more dinger and Pronger is probably a zombie for the rest of his life.

Winning Unlimited
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by Winning Unlimited »

:cup:

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

JesusNEVERexisted wrote:
glen a richter wrote:Maybe Panger can suit up if need be.
One more dinger and Pronger is probably a zombie for the rest of his life.
Panger, you schmuck. Darren Pang. Former goalie. Why the hell would I suggest playing Chris Pronger in goal?

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

[tweet][/tweet]

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

gaijin
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by gaijin »

dmiles2186 wrote:[tweet][/tweet]
Still not sure how I feel about this. Signing with another team after you're washed up and your career team doesn't want you anymore seems like it tarnishes your legacy a little (like Modano signing with Detroit). And if no team gives you an offer in the meantime, it seems like the pervading opinion is there's nothing left in the tank.

If that's the case, bad for the Blues as a team, bad for Brodeur's legacy.

Who knows? Maybe he will turn out to be a serviceable backup until Elliott returns. I guess we're about to find out.