Hall of Fame G Martin Brodeur is coming to the Blues!

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Re: Hall of Fame G Martin Brodeur is coming to the Blues!

Post by glen a richter »

If Brodeur starts on Saturday I'll flip my top. The Islanders are a formidable opponent again and a likely threat to represent the east in the SCF. I'd like the Blues to stand a chance instead of having rust-bucket in net and guarantee a hard time. In particular because this is (obviously) the only game I'll be attending this season. Last time I went to Blues/Islanders both teams stunk and the Isles ended up winning.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

If I had to guess, since the Blues have back to backs on Wednesday and Thursday, he'll get one of those, most likely Thursday against Nashville, and Jake the Snake will get Wednesday against the Hawks and Saturday against the Isle. Purely a guess on my part though.

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

ecbm
All-Star
All-Star

Post by ecbm »

Not sure what all this hand-wringing is about. Do you trust the Blues' coaches' evaluation of players? If they feel Binnington over Brodeur gives them an edge they'll go with him unless they feel that will unduly harm his development. If the latter looks completely useless he won't be played. Hitch isn't going to be overawed by anyone into making personnel decisions. I'm not worried about it. Now, looking at Allen's recent game log leading up to the game against Minny-that worries me. He's the starter for the time being, and you can't have a starter allowing 17 goals on 145 shots over about 10% of the season.

not_a_wings_fan
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by not_a_wings_fan »

I don't think anyone in a suit wanted to go to war in the NHL with a 24 year old starting goalie with 15 total NHL games prior to the season backed up by a 21 year old prospect with ONE AHL start prior to this year. They had to do something to get help, and obviously the team feels this is the best available player to fill a need, and I have to trust them. They have to think that Ells will be back in enough time that they don't need something more permanent or they would have just made that move; I really don't know too many other names without making a trade/taking on payroll we don't have space for.

As far as a verdict on Marty and his play, it's really a wait and see thing. I don't expect him to be stellar and steal games, but I am pretty sure he's better than what they already had or they wouldn't be talking contract. If he sucks in games, then I am certain they will part ways and quickly.

I echo the sentiment that this is nothing but good for Allen to have a chance to work and prepare with one of the best goalies in the history of the league.

I don't think I would be shocked to see Marty stay on as a coach - wait for it in the fine print of his contract, actually.
Official 2008-2015 LGB Sponsor of Barret Jackman

JesusNEVERexisted
All-Star
All-Star

Post by JesusNEVERexisted »

Brodeur should show his Stanley Cup rings to the Blues to give them some more motivation and inspiration.

not_a_wings_fan
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

JesusNEVERexisted wrote:Brodeur should show his Stanley Cup rings to the Blues to give them some more motivation and inspiration.
Seriously, are you 12?

He should just play good hockey or GTFO.

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

[tweet][/tweet]

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

1 year deal w/ incentives.

[tweet][/tweet]

not_a_wings_fan
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Nothing wrong with that.

I like that he gets paid per point earned in net. I think more players should have wins tied to their compensation - extra 20k per game would motivate folks!

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

dmiles2186 wrote:If I had to guess, since the Blues have back to backs on Wednesday and Thursday, he'll get one of those, most likely Thursday against Nashville, and Jake the Snake will get Wednesday against the Hawks and Saturday against the Isle. Purely a guess on my part though.
Well glenny, I could be right...or wrong....

[tweet][/tweet]

Krigloch the Furious
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Krigloch the Furious »

OK cool, Blues have a solid backup now.
How long is Elliott supposed to be out?
I still consider him to the the #1, by a mile. I like Jake, but Elliott should be the goalie for this team for many more years.

gaijin
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by gaijin »

dmiles2186 wrote:
dmiles2186 wrote:If I had to guess, since the Blues have back to backs on Wednesday and Thursday, he'll get one of those, most likely Thursday against Nashville, and Jake the Snake will get Wednesday against the Hawks and Saturday against the Isle. Purely a guess on my part though.
Well glenny, I could be right...or wrong....

[tweet][/tweet]
Sucks in general that Elliott is out, but sucks in particular that he will be out for Saturday's game vs. the Isles. I would have loved to see Halak vs. Elliott.

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

He also gets 125K bonuses for being on the team still on February 1 and March 1. More than anything else, that tells me this is a stop gap move.
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2016-2017 Official LGB Sponsor of Dmitri Jaskin
2017-2018 Official LGB Sponsor of Jake Allen

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

I'm still not happy with this. If they wanted a decrepid old goalie who's way past his useful days, they could have gone in a bunch of other directions. I won't be convinced this was anything more than a move to bring in a name and excite people enough to buy more tickets, and at best provide some mentoring to Allen. They could have had Brodeur last year, NJ was dangling him. But they went for Miller instead of the legacy that was Brodeur even though Marty would have been cheaper because they knew his best days were behind him. Now they're even further in the rear view mirror and here he is in the note, at least four or five years too late to be meaningful to the team. They'll sell a few jerseys though, for a goalie who plays maybe 6-10 games with the team and then gets cast away into retirementland.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

glen a richter wrote:I'm still not happy with this. If they wanted a decrepid old goalie who's way past his useful days, they could have gone in a bunch of other directions. I won't be convinced this was anything more than a move to bring in a name and excite people enough to buy more tickets, and at best provide some mentoring to Allen. They could have had Brodeur last year, NJ was dangling him. But they went for Miller instead of the legacy that was Brodeur even though Marty would have been cheaper because they knew his best days were behind him. Now they're even further in the rear view mirror and here he is in the note, at least four or five years too late to be meaningful to the team. They'll sell a few jerseys though, for a goalie who plays maybe 6-10 games with the team and then gets cast away into retirementland.
I don't think this is a comparable situation to Miller though. They got Miller last year because they hoped he would be the final piece that put us over the top. They got Brodeur to play for a few weeks because Elliott is hurt.

If we didn't get Brodeur, we would have gotten somebody like Bryzgalov. I don't see the downside to Brodeur in that situation.
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2016-2017 Official LGB Sponsor of Dmitri Jaskin
2017-2018 Official LGB Sponsor of Jake Allen

Kerfuffle
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by Kerfuffle »

I don't know you guys but this move seems eerily similar to the one we made last year signing Krapibulin to a one year deal at age 41 and it was a total disaster. I think it's clear though that the mindset of your front office continues to be focused on the goalie position as this is twice now in 9 months they have made goaltending a primary focus to improve the team. Think he'll start tomorrow night against us? I'll be at the game.

not_a_wings_fan
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Kerfuffle wrote:I don't know you guys but this move seems eerily similar to the one we made last year signing Krapibulin to a one year deal at age 41 and it was a total disaster. I think it's clear though that the mindset of your front office continues to be focused on the goalie position as this is twice now in 9 months they have made goaltending a primary focus to improve the team. Think he'll start tomorrow night against us? I'll be at the game.
IDK how close you have followed this stuff, but this isn't about improving our goaltending; Elliot is hurt for more than a few games -it's about filling a hole caused by injury and not trusting the 21 year old in the AHL this early in his pro career.

You have a better suggestion for a veteran back up that fits under our cap? I can't stress enough that cap constraints are a giant factor in this play. To make a trade we would need to send salary back and I don't think they have any interest in moving roster players for a stop-gap goalie.

Again, I don't "LOVE" this signing, but given the options it's not terrible.

Kerfuffle
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by Kerfuffle »

not_a_wings_fan wrote:
Kerfuffle wrote:I don't know you guys but this move seems eerily similar to the one we made last year signing Krapibulin to a one year deal at age 41 and it was a total disaster. I think it's clear though that the mindset of your front office continues to be focused on the goalie position as this is twice now in 9 months they have made goaltending a primary focus to improve the team. Think he'll start tomorrow night against us? I'll be at the game.
IDK how close you have followed this stuff, but this isn't about improving our goaltending; Elliot is hurt for more than a few games -it's about filling a hole caused by injury and not trusting the 21 year old in the AHL this early in his pro career.

You have a better suggestion for a veteran back up that fits under our cap? I can't stress enough that cap constraints are a giant factor in this play. To make a trade we would need to send salary back and I don't think they have any interest in moving roster players for a stop-gap goalie.

Again, I don't "LOVE" this signing, but given the options it's not terrible.
Good points - I guess I'm thinking it's better to give the kid a look first before going to a guy that is 42. I think that Brodeur's experience is offset by his advanced playing age and athleticism. Your 21 year old doesn't have the experience (and nerves) but has youth and athleticism and a real motivating factor in wanting to stay at the NHL level (financial and otherwise).

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

cardsfan04 wrote:
glen a richter wrote:I'm still not happy with this. If they wanted a decrepid old goalie who's way past his useful days, they could have gone in a bunch of other directions. I won't be convinced this was anything more than a move to bring in a name and excite people enough to buy more tickets, and at best provide some mentoring to Allen. They could have had Brodeur last year, NJ was dangling him. But they went for Miller instead of the legacy that was Brodeur even though Marty would have been cheaper because they knew his best days were behind him. Now they're even further in the rear view mirror and here he is in the note, at least four or five years too late to be meaningful to the team. They'll sell a few jerseys though, for a goalie who plays maybe 6-10 games with the team and then gets cast away into retirementland.
I don't think this is a comparable situation to Miller though. They got Miller last year because they hoped he would be the final piece that put us over the top. They got Brodeur to play for a few weeks because Elliott is hurt.

If we didn't get Brodeur, we would have gotten somebody like Bryzgalov. I don't see the downside to Brodeur in that situation.
Exactly. This isn't a piece that's going to put us over the top. It's a piece that will try to patch a leak for a little while until we get out #1 netminder back. That's all it is. We got him on the cheap. We didn't have to give up any assets in a trade. And we got a guy who is going to work his butt off and has motivation. If it doesn't work out? What do we lose? Nothing. We may lose a few games, but he won't be the sole reason. Worst case scenario, you cut bait, you're out 700K, some bonus money, and you don't have to pay the roster bonuses due in February and March.

To me, this is comparable to a loan in soccer. He's ours for a little while, but it's nothing permanent. Allen is the current #1. When Ells gets back, it will be Ells #1, Allen #2, Brodeur #3 or gone.

To me, there is very little downside to this. No risk/potentially high reward. That's it.

ecbm
All-Star
All-Star

Post by ecbm »

Hard not to read from this that Elliott's injury at least could be serious. Am I the only one who wondered what sort of lower body injury renders a guy 'week-to-week'? My guess is he seriously strained/sprained some knee ligaments and could potentially be done for the season.

Agree with those above that see this as an acceptable stop-gap move. Having a bit more veteran presence in the form of a guy who's made deep playoff runs can't hurt either.