GDT #29: 12/11/14 | 7:00PM CST | v Islanders | FSMW/KMOX

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

GDT #29: 12/11/14 | 7:00PM CST | v Islanders | FSMW/KMOX

Post by dmiles2186 »

ISLANDERS (19-9-0) at BLUES (18-8-2)

TV: MSG+, FS-MW

Season series: The St. Louis Blues will look to make it two wins in as many games against the New York Islanders when they play for the second time in six days. The Blues overcame a 3-0 deficit to defeat the Islanders 6-4 on Dec. 6 behind Paul Stastny's two goals, including the game-winner with 6:34 remaining.

Islanders team scope: The Islanders come in limping off back-to-back losses in which they squandered three-goal leads in each game, including a 5-4 loss Tuesday at the Minnesota Wild. The Wild scored four times in the third period to overcome a 4-1 deficit. "[The players] [have to] figure it out," Islanders coach Jack Capuano said. "... You learn from it and move forward. It wasn't like we played a terrible game. I didn't like the fact they were stronger than us around our net. That was the difference in the game." The Islanders didn't practice Wednesday. Goalie Jaroslav Halak (upper body) is better but the Islanders will wait until Thursday to determine whether he can play. Forward Brock Nelson, who was the recipient of a high hit from the Wild's Marco Scandella, is doubtful.

Blues team scope: The Blues have been dealing with the injury bug the past few weeks but could get two very important players back Thursday. Left wing Alexander Steen (lower body) has missed two games and defenseman Jay Bouwmeester (groin) has missed eight. Captain David Backes (facial lacerations) visited the practice rink Wednesday but did not skate and is unlikely to play Thursday. Defenseman Carl Gunnarsson (concussion symptoms) will not play. Goalie Jake Allen, who was pulled from his start against the Islanders after allowing three goals on 12 shots, will start. "Hopefully [Steen and Bouwmeester] both can come in and play, but we'll see," Blues coach Ken Hitchcock said. "Neither one of them's going to play unless they're comfortable and they can start finishing games. ... David showed up today, but we didn't want him practicing so we'll see how he feels [Thursday] to see if he can skate."

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

gaijin
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Re: GDT #29: 12/11/14 | 7:00PM CST | v Islanders | FSMW/KMOX

Post by gaijin »

It will nice to have Steen and Bouw back, especially Bouw- I'm surprised how different our D was without him.

The Islanders are going to be hungry to take this game, so we had better bring it.

2 points, please. :letsgoblues:

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

The Islanders have recently become pathetic with 3 goal leads, so I guess the objective here is to give up the first three and then come back for the win.

Blues 5 combined between pd 2 and 3
Isles 3 in the 1st pd
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

gaijin
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by gaijin »

Sounds like Backes is back [es] well tonight. See what I did there?

Hopefully Allen puts up a good game. Let's get that team GAA back down.

drwoland
All-Star
All-Star

Post by drwoland »

The ones who should be hungry are the blues. GO GET SOME.

Blues 5
Islanders 2

PGABluesFan
3rd Line Grinder
3rd Line Grinder

Post by PGABluesFan »

drwoland wrote:The ones who should be hungry are the blues. GO GET SOME.

Blues 5
Islanders 2
Just as I'm making this post proclaiming you a motherFing sorcerer, they scored to make it 5-3. Oh well. Good win boys.

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

I was in the car on the way home from work for the Isles first two goals and from the sound of it, Tavares' goal seemed really soft. Allen kind of worries me, going forward. It just seems like he's off his game a lot recently.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

gaijin
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by gaijin »

16 goals in the last 3 games. And most of them by people not named Tarasenko. Looks like every one of us here was right and the professional writers were wrong- when the STL line cooled off, the rest of the team picked up the scoring.

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

gaijin wrote:16 goals in the last 3 games. And most of them by people not named Tarasenko. Looks like every one of us here was right and the professional writers were wrong- when the STL line cooled off, the rest of the team picked up the scoring.
I will admit, I was getting nervous. I figured it would be 10-15 games, at the most, before everyone else joined the scoring party. It took purt near 30 games, but it's finally happening. It doesn't matter where the goals come from, just that they come. Keep it rollin', boys.

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

StL Dan
2nd Line Scorer
2nd Line Scorer

Post by StL Dan »

Steener came out jumping right out of the gate last night. It was easy to see he was beyond ready to rejoin the team and contribute. His first shot was a load - I could tell he was going to pound the net all night long. He was a beast on the PK too, as usual. Really really good to see.

What the heck is going on with Oshie? Has he completely forgotten how to skate and hit? I liked the puck he put through the roof over Jaro's far shoulder, but, geez, the Oshie of 2012-13 and 13-14 was way more aggressive in the all 3 zones. I love the guy. Hope he finds his edge again....sooner than later.
2019-20 LGB Sponsor of The Schwartz
2018-19 LGB Sponsor of The Schwartz
2017-18 LGB Sponsor of The Schwartz

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

Halak looked horrible last night. He was back in his net all night, not challenging the shooters, not squaring up...
He had been on a roll, and we steamrolled him in back to back games. I'm not sure if it has to do with us being a former team or what. If so, he's more messed up in the head than we though.

To be honest, Allen is playing about like I expected.
It is his first full year in the NHL and his first real workload.
He looks good at times, shaky at times and bad at times. I'm sure he'll get better and more consistent. But it might not be this year.

That is why I laughed and shook my head at all of the folks who were claming Allen will be the #1 guy this year (Cusamano said this once...and so did a ton of fans)...and they for some odd reason thought he'd be the guy for us in net during the playoffs.
That made no sense to me whatsoever.
I said it before the season started and I'll say it again...Elliott is our guy. He's the #1. It's not even a question. He has earned the #1. He is easily the best option we have in net...and he's one of the best netminders in the NHL. He has been for the past few years. He'll get the starts in the playoffs, barring injury of course. I don't even think that's debatable.
LETS GO BLUES RADIO
LIVE weekly broadcasts on YouTube & http://www.LetsGoBlues.com/radio!
Twitter: https://twitter.com/curtprice
Lets Go Blues Radio Twitter: https://twitter.com/lgbradio
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cprice12/
Lets Go Blues Radio Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lgbradio/

ecbm
All-Star
All-Star

Post by ecbm »

Said it the other day, will say it again: Allen would be sent down if he could be. All three goals were soft-he's just as much on his goalline, not challenging the shooter, for the 3rd one as Halak (who looked god-awful) was all night. Since November 6, 10 starts, he's recorded a sv% over 90 twice. His lapses in concentration worry me. He has to stop at least Tavares' goal last night. Federko: "it finds a way to sneak through". Yeah, Bernie-it found its way through the gap between Allen's pads because, for some reason, he didn't have them squeezed shut.

I'm not impressed so far. Allen's rangy and very athletic and capable of making great saves but over the course of several games, he doesn't look ready to me. Any goalie can blow you away in a small sample. Fourteen games in now and he's down to 34th in sv%.

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

glen a richter wrote:I was in the car on the way home from work for the Isles first two goals and from the sound of it, Tavares' goal seemed really soft. Allen kind of worries me, going forward. It just seems like he's off his game a lot recently.
I certainly don't have a ton of confidence in him today. But, I'm chalking it up primarily to him being a rookie going through growing pains. He hasn't played well lately, but I don't think his career will be defined by how he has played recently. He's a rookie and will improve as he gains experience.
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2016-2017 Official LGB Sponsor of Dmitri Jaskin
2017-2018 Official LGB Sponsor of Jake Allen

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

ecbm wrote:Said it the other day, will say it again: Allen would be sent down if he could be. All three goals were soft-he's just as much on his goalline, not challenging the shooter, for the 3rd one as Halak (who looked god-awful) was all night. Since November 6, 10 starts, he's recorded a sv% over 90 twice. His lapses in concentration worry me. He has to stop at least Tavares' goal last night. Federko: "it finds a way to sneak through". Yeah, Bernie-it found its way through the gap between Allen's pads because, for some reason, he didn't have them squeezed shut.

I'm not impressed so far. Allen's rangy and very athletic and capable of making great saves but over the course of several games, he doesn't look ready to me. Any goalie can blow you away in a small sample. Fourteen games in now and he's down to 34th in sv%.
Bernie annoys me.
He is waaaaay too much of a homer. I mean, you expect a certain degree of it with the home team broadcast, but geez. Last night he said when Steen is on his game, he has the hardest shot in the league. I'm not even sure what that means, "when he is on his game" and how that factors into how hard his shot is...??

I'm not sitting down there with a radar gun, but I'd bet Steen doesn't even have the hardest shot on the Blues and there are probably 20 guys in the league that have a harder shot than Steen. That's not taking anywhing away from Steen...his shot is very good. But hardest in the league? I'm calling bullshit. But what do I know?
LETS GO BLUES RADIO
LIVE weekly broadcasts on YouTube & http://www.LetsGoBlues.com/radio!
Twitter: https://twitter.com/curtprice
Lets Go Blues Radio Twitter: https://twitter.com/lgbradio
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cprice12/
Lets Go Blues Radio Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lgbradio/

not_a_wings_fan
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by not_a_wings_fan »

cprice12 wrote:
ecbm wrote:Said it the other day, will say it again: Allen would be sent down if he could be. All three goals were soft-he's just as much on his goalline, not challenging the shooter, for the 3rd one as Halak (who looked god-awful) was all night. Since November 6, 10 starts, he's recorded a sv% over 90 twice. His lapses in concentration worry me. He has to stop at least Tavares' goal last night. Federko: "it finds a way to sneak through". Yeah, Bernie-it found its way through the gap between Allen's pads because, for some reason, he didn't have them squeezed shut.

Bernie annoys me.
He is waaaaay too much of a homer. I mean, you expect a certain degree of it with the home team broadcast, but geez. Last night he said when Steen is on his game, he has the hardest shot in the league. I'm not even sure what that means, "when he is on his game" and how that factors into how hard his shot is...??

I'm not sitting down there with a radar gun, but I'd bet Steen doesn't even have the hardest shot on the Blues and there are probably 20 guys in the league that have a harder shot than Steen. That's not taking anywhing away from Steen...his shot is very good. But hardest in the league? I'm calling bullshit. But what do I know?
Because you know, Chara.
[youtube][/youtube]
*Al's shot was likely harder...his 100 mph+ shots were from a complete standstill.
Official 2008-2015 LGB Sponsor of Barret Jackman

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

Jake Allen did similar stuff with the Wolves last year. 3-5 games of .910+ save percentages. Then 1 or two under .900 games. It happened all year. He got swept in the 2nd round of the Calder Cup playoff last year posting sub .900s in all 4 of those losses.

It seems he loses concentration sometimes. IMO, having Brodeur around could seriously help him when it comes to the puck-handling aspect. The puck-handling was atrocious Thursday and could easily have led to more goals against.
Official LGB sponsor of Robert Thomas 2022-2023 Season

Oaklandblue
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Oaklandblue »

Absolutely loved this game. Was really hoping they'd put Halak on suicide watch :mrgreen: :aaaa: :okman:
2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Alexander Steen
2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Jaromir Jagr, Calgary Flames
2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Brian Elliott, Calgary Flames
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Ryan "Turn that leaf on the wind into a shrimp on the bar-bee" Reaves
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Obviously Not Steve Ott
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Steve "Chirps-A-Lot" Ott
2015 LGB Supporter of the New York Rangers
2014-2015 LGB Sponsor of Patrik "No-Timer" Berglund
2013-2014 LGB Sponsor of Derek "In The Middle" Roy
2012-2013 LGB Sponsor of Chris "NO SLEEP TIL THE CUP!" Stewart - Shhhhh!!!

ecbm
All-Star
All-Star

Post by ecbm »

theohall wrote:It seems he loses concentration sometimes.
That's what I see too. It can be a fatal flaw-like a QB who's really skilled but throws too many INTs. Thing is, I'm not sure how you coach/fix that. Workload management is important as mental fatigue breaks your concentration but Allen seems to be in great shape and isn't getting a huge number of starts. We'll see what happens and I have faith he'll work out but it would be nice to have the option to send him back to the AHL if you ask me.