Perron traded to Pitt for 1st Rd Pick

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Perron traded to Pitt for 1st Rd Pick

Post by dmiles2186 »

Welp, the Army haters will be out in full force.

[tweet][/tweet]

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Re: Perron traded to Pitt for 1st Rd Pick

Post by cardsfan04 »

My first thought was good for Perron. He was frustrating here, but I always liked him. He just wasn't a good fit.

My second thought was that Edmonton, who can't get anything right, got more than we got for him. I believe I was reasonably OK with the deal when we traded him, so I guess I still am, but damn, I'd rather have had a 1st rounder.
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2016-2017 Official LGB Sponsor of Dmitri Jaskin
2017-2018 Official LGB Sponsor of Jake Allen

JesusNEVERexisted
All-Star
All-Star

Post by JesusNEVERexisted »

Couldn't the Blues use him again?

He scored one of the sweetest goals in recent Blues history. It's on youtube and he looked like Lemieux on that play!

ecbm
All-Star
All-Star

Post by ecbm »

dmiles2186 wrote:Welp, the Army haters will be out in full force.

[tweet][/tweet]
Eh? Pre-emptive shushing anyone who would criticize Army? Well, ok-don't worry about me-I seem to be the only Blues fan to get that the deal was a blatant salary dump.

On the other hand, nobody here or anywhere needs to be holding their breath as they wait for the Blues to get a 1st rounder (even a very late one) for Paajarvi.
:)

drwoland
All-Star
All-Star

Post by drwoland »

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

JR on the trade:
A first-rounder for Perron (and Rob Klinkhammer) seems a little steep to me, but the Penguins are a bit desperate with their situation. Perron is a good player and perhaps he'll be better with a more experienced group, but if Perron nets a first-rounder, the prices leading up to the trade deadline are going to be expensive.

ecbm
All-Star
All-Star

Post by ecbm »

drwoland wrote:Image
The Blues acquired him 4 years after that draft, during which time he racked up a grand total of 163 NHL games. He wasn't some hot prospect. He's what you get when you come to the bargaining table with "everyone in STL hates this guy-just give me anything for him that looks reasonable." Which is fine since the organization felt that way about him after taking a long look at him. But people trying to make that trade about something other than the Blues' well-known and I'm guessing explicitly-expressed desire to get him off the roster is funny to me. Yeah, yeah-we really want to move a guy who has played 320 games for us before his 25th birthday, scoring 84 goals for uh...your 1st rounder from 4 years ago who spent 2 of the 3 previous seasons in the minors. Right.

To show I'm not a bitter guy though, I'll also observe that Edmonton's 2nd-rounder and Pittsburgh's first probably aren't too far apart.

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

ecbm wrote:

[tweet][/tweet]
Eh? Pre-emptive shushing anyone who would criticize Army? Well, ok-don't worry about me-I seem to be the only Blues fan to get that the deal was a blatant salary dump.

On the other hand, nobody here or anywhere needs to be holding their breath as they wait for the Blues to get a 1st rounder (even a very late one) for Paajarvi.
It was a salary dump. The thing about that trade though, is we also got a high 2nd round pick (3rd pick of that round), which essentially is a low 1st rounder. We got Barbashev. It wasn't a complete loss.

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

ecbm
All-Star
All-Star

Post by ecbm »

dmiles2186 wrote:
ecbm wrote:

[tweet][/tweet]

It was a salary dump. The thing about that trade though, is we also got a high 2nd round pick (3rd pick of that round), which essentially is a low 1st rounder. We got Barbashev. It wasn't a complete loss.
Agree completely. It was clear before that offseason that somie book-clearing ahead of the next round of kids' needing contract extensions had to happen. I can understand how Perron was chosen to be part of that. Getting Barbashev in return is just gravy. I am surprised they re-signed Paajarvi. He just didn't show me anything, say, Jaskin didn't. His scouting report and play made him look like a Berglund clone to me.

drwoland
All-Star
All-Star

Post by drwoland »

:lol: :lol: :lol: at the gnashing going on in this thread. Literally people have forgotten that at the time, we would have gladly taken a bag of used pucks for Perron.

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

dmiles2186 wrote:
ecbm wrote:

[tweet][/tweet]

Oh, shit, somehow I forgot about the 2nd rounder in the deal. I was thinking it was Perron for Paajarvi for some reason.

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

Good for DP. He's on a team where he'll flourish. Pittsburgh is all about not playing a stitch of D. He'll score by the buckets in the 'burgh.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

ComradeT
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by ComradeT »

glen a richter wrote:Good for DP. He's on a team where he'll flourish. Pittsburgh is all about not playing a stitch of D. He'll score by the buckets in the 'burgh.
Glen, having gotten to know your style, I can't help wondering if you are being a wee bit sarcastic there.
2018 - 2019 Official sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
2017 - 2018 Official sponsor of Joel "Top Shelf" Edmundson
2016 - 2017 Official sponsor of Nail "THE YAK" Yakupov

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

ComradeT wrote:
glen a richter wrote:Good for DP. He's on a team where he'll flourish. Pittsburgh is all about not playing a stitch of D. He'll score by the buckets in the 'burgh.
Glen, having gotten to know your style, I can't help wondering if you are being a wee bit sarcastic there.
No, I really think he'll thrive in the east. I also think Berglund would thrive in the east. Some guys just aren't cut out for the western conference style hockey.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

STLADOGG
All-Star
All-Star

Post by STLADOGG »

Agreed. His production is gonna go up a lot if he plays with Crosby or Malkin.
Official Stalker of Paul "Speedy Gonzalez" Kariya
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
TW Tiger Woods TW

Oaklandblue
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Oaklandblue »

You mean to tell me the Oilers did something RIGHT? O.O
2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Alexander Steen
2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Jaromir Jagr, Calgary Flames
2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Brian Elliott, Calgary Flames
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Ryan "Turn that leaf on the wind into a shrimp on the bar-bee" Reaves
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Obviously Not Steve Ott
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Steve "Chirps-A-Lot" Ott
2015 LGB Supporter of the New York Rangers
2014-2015 LGB Sponsor of Patrik "No-Timer" Berglund
2013-2014 LGB Sponsor of Derek "In The Middle" Roy
2012-2013 LGB Sponsor of Chris "NO SLEEP TIL THE CUP!" Stewart - Shhhhh!!!

ComradeT
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by ComradeT »

glen a richter wrote:
ComradeT wrote:
No, I really think he'll thrive in the east. I also think Berglund would thrive in the east. Some guys just aren't cut out for the western conference style hockey.
Gotcha. It's just that when I replaced "Pittsburgh" with "Edmonton" I got exactly what we were saying on the board when he was traded to he Oilers. I also thought EDM was in the east conference. :doh: In my defense, they play like they are.
2018 - 2019 Official sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
2017 - 2018 Official sponsor of Joel "Top Shelf" Edmundson
2016 - 2017 Official sponsor of Nail "THE YAK" Yakupov

not_a_wings_fan
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by not_a_wings_fan »

This is a salary dump for Edmonton, a way to get rid of a lazy player who is underperforming, and part of a rebuild.

It's a great move for Edmonton.

I think Perry will do fine to start out in Pitt, but I also think he will wear out his welcome there as well.

I am glad he's not wearing the note and I don't care what we got for him. Good riddance.

Lazy player with a bad attitude.
Official 2008-2015 LGB Sponsor of Barret Jackman

ecbm
All-Star
All-Star

Post by ecbm »

Reminder to many: Perron scored 28 goals last year. On a terrible team. (That would have been good for 3rd-best on a Blues team that come playoff time, all I heard about was how they can't score when they need to...but apparently, I digress.) He was just moved by said team for more than the Blues got for him a year earlier.

He makes $600K a year less than Army chose to give Berglund for three years.

But yeah, he's a useless NHL player. Clearly the Penguins don't know how to build a winner. The attitude I see here definitely isn't about scapegoating. I mean, how could it be? Look how all the Blues' problems and shortcomings evaporated when DP left...
:roll:

Oaklandblue
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Oaklandblue »

Perron is lockeroom cancer. Just getting rid of him was an upgrade.
2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Alexander Steen
2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Jaromir Jagr, Calgary Flames
2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Brian Elliott, Calgary Flames
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Ryan "Turn that leaf on the wind into a shrimp on the bar-bee" Reaves
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Obviously Not Steve Ott
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Steve "Chirps-A-Lot" Ott
2015 LGB Supporter of the New York Rangers
2014-2015 LGB Sponsor of Patrik "No-Timer" Berglund
2013-2014 LGB Sponsor of Derek "In The Middle" Roy
2012-2013 LGB Sponsor of Chris "NO SLEEP TIL THE CUP!" Stewart - Shhhhh!!!