Brodeur retires. Will serve as Blues Asst. G.M.

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

drwoland
All-Star
All-Star

Re: Brodeur retires. Will serve as Blues Asst. G.M.

Post by drwoland »

Kerfuffle wrote:Guys he played only 7 games for the Blues. Let's not pretend he's built a legacy in St. Louis. He filled a role until Elliot returned.
But are you a fan of Patrick Kane?

Kerfuffle
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by Kerfuffle »

drwoland wrote:
Kerfuffle wrote:Guys he played only 7 games for the Blues. Let's not pretend he's built a legacy in St. Louis. He filled a role until Elliot returned.
If you can tell me what Patrick Kane has to do with Brodeur that would be nice. Or are you just trying to troll me?

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

Kerfuffle wrote:
drwoland wrote:
If you can tell me what Patrick Kane has to do with Brodeur that would be nice. Or are you just trying to troll me?
He's not trolling. He's pointing out a double standard.
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2016-2017 Official LGB Sponsor of Dmitri Jaskin
2017-2018 Official LGB Sponsor of Jake Allen

drwoland
All-Star
All-Star

Post by drwoland »

Kerfuffle wrote:
drwoland wrote:
You said you stopped liking Brodeur because of stuff that happened in his personal life. It was pointed out that this is problematic for a Hawks fan, as one of your fan-favorite star players has some blemishes in his out-of-hockey-life; that it follows that you don't like Patrick Kane either. You changed the subject to the number of games Brodeur has played as a Blue. I brought the subject back.

I don't know what your definition of trolling is, but I'm not trying to be hostile.

Kerfuffle
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by Kerfuffle »

cardsfan04 wrote:
Kerfuffle wrote:
drwoland wrote:
There is no double standard. Kane had nothing to do with this. It's a thread on Brodeur. If you want to celebrate Brodeur and his 7 total games with the franchise then do so - I could care less.

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

Kerfuffle wrote:
cardsfan04 wrote:
Kerfuffle wrote:
drwoland wrote:
There is no double standard. Kane had nothing to do with this. It's a thread on Brodeur. If you want to celebrate Brodeur and his 7 total games with the franchise then do so - I could care less.
You're right that Kane doesn't have anything to do with this. But, when a fan of the blackhawks (and presumably Kane) comes into a thread on a Blues forum saying he dislikes Brodeur because of off the ice conduct, Kane is going to be brought up, because of course he is.

Kerfuffle
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by Kerfuffle »

cardsfan04 wrote:You're right that Kane doesn't have anything to do with this. But, when a fan of the blackhawks (and presumably Kane) comes into a thread on a Blues forum saying he dislikes Brodeur because of off the ice conduct, Kane is going to be brought up, because of course he is.
Fan of Kane on the ice? Yes. Fan of Kane off the ice? No. There you go

drwoland
All-Star
All-Star

Post by drwoland »

Kerfuffle wrote:
cardsfan04 wrote:You're right that Kane doesn't have anything to do with this. But, when a fan of the blackhawks (and presumably Kane) comes into a thread on a Blues forum saying he dislikes Brodeur because of off the ice conduct, Kane is going to be brought up, because of course he is.
Fan of Kane on the ice? Yes. Fan of Kane off the ice? No. There you go
So are you then still a fan of Brodeur on the ice?

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

Brodeur's off-ice shenanigans was way before anyone ever dreamed that he'd wear the note. It's a relevant question to compare ones opinion of Brodeur being an adulterous asshole to Kane being basically a violent criminal which has nothing to do with how long Brodeur was in St. Louis.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

I understand this. But it's just like Gretzky coming through here. Even though it was brief, you still had one of the G.O.A.T. suit up in your team's jersey. That's pretty cool.

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

Kerfuffle
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by Kerfuffle »

dmiles2186 wrote:
I understand this. But it's just like Gretzky coming through here. Even though it was brief, you still had one of the G.O.A.T. suit up in your team's jersey. That's pretty cool.
I hear what you're saying - wWe had Peter Bondra when he joined us with like 498 goals and played 37 games, got his 500 goals in a Blackhawk sweater. A lot of fans thought it was a big deal in Chicago at the time but I could care less I recall. He didn't play his career with us and was just doing mop up duty at the time to hit a personal milestone. 8 years later no one in Chicago even remembers him.

Kerfuffle
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by Kerfuffle »

drwoland wrote: So are you then still a fan of Brodeur on the ice?
For 7 games and an .899 SVP% on the ice? No.

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

dmiles2186 wrote:
And that's my overall feeling about it. It was weird as hell the first time I saw him in the Blues sweater but also really cool. His numbers weren't that great (I think he had a 2.87 GAA And .889 %. Not good) but didn't really matter. It was cool just to see him in the bluenote.
Official 2021-2022 LGB Sponsor of Torey Krug
Official 2021 LGB Sponsor of Brayden Schenn
Official 2018-2019 LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2018 LGB Playoff Challenge Champ
Official 2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
Official 2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Scottie Upshall
Official 2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

Kerfuffle wrote:
dmiles2186 wrote:
I hear what you're saying - wWe had Peter Bondra when he joined us with like 498 goals and played 37 games, got his 500 goals in a Blackhawk sweater. A lot of fans thought it was a big deal in Chicago at the time but I could care less I recall. He didn't play his career with us and was just doing mop up duty at the time to hit a personal milestone. 8 years later no one in Chicago even remembers him.
Fairly confident that when Bondra was on the Hawks there were about 56 people in Chicago who noticed...
Official 2021-2022 LGB Sponsor of Torey Krug
Official 2021 LGB Sponsor of Brayden Schenn
Official 2018-2019 LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2018 LGB Playoff Challenge Champ
Official 2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
Official 2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Scottie Upshall
Official 2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

Kerfuffle wrote:
dmiles2186 wrote:
Understandable, but to be fair, Peter Bondra isn't quite on Brodeur's level. Yes, in time, the luster from Brodeur's time here will wear off. But it still doesn't take away the fact that he played for us. I'd compare Brodeur's time here to Orr's time in Chicago. It's not memorable, it's a blemish on his legacy (should have stayed w/ one team his whole career), it was rather short. Nonetheless, one of the games greatest suited up for you.

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

Hopefully we don't see it, but I'm curious what happens if Elliott or Allen gets hurt before the end of the year. Do we see Brodeur unretire?

Apparently, I wasn't the only one curious:

[tweet][/tweet]

gaijin
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by gaijin »

cardsfan04 wrote:Hopefully we don't see it, but I'm curious what happens if Elliott or Allen gets hurt before the end of the year. Do we see Brodeur unretire?

[tweet][/tweet]
If this is what teams are supposed to do every time a goalie gets injured, why even bother having two goaltenders on a team?

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

gaijin wrote:
cardsfan04 wrote:Hopefully we don't see it, but I'm curious what happens if Elliott or Allen gets hurt before the end of the year. Do we see Brodeur unretire?

[tweet][/tweet]
If this is what teams are supposed to do every time a goalie gets injured, why even bother having two goaltenders on a team?
I think it's more because our number 3 needs to be playing everyday than because it's how teams deal with goalie injuries.

APOD
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by APOD »

I'm disappointed that the NHL network broadcasters had nothing nice to say the whole time.
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor or Brian Elliott
2014-2015 LGB Sponsor of Jori Lehtera
2013-2014 LGB Sponsor of Chris Stewart / Steve Ott and the trade that made it happen!
2012-errr.......Just 2013 LGB Sponsor of Andy McDonald

ecbm
All-Star
All-Star

Post by ecbm »

Kerfuffle wrote:Fan of Kane on the ice? Yes. Fan of Kane off the ice? No. There you go
Simple answers to simple questions-always the best. Fair enough. I suggest that position to everyone about all these guys as we really don't know who any of them are as human beings.