GDT #54: 2/10/15 | 7:00PM CST | v Coyotes | FSMW/KMOX

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

GDT #54: 2/10/15 | 7:00PM CST | v Coyotes | FSMW/KMOX

Post by dmiles2186 »

The St. Louis Blues have handled the Arizona Coyotes with little trouble for the last few years.

This season the matchup appears to have gotten even easier.

St. Louis tries to avoid a third consecutive loss overall and sweep the season series from the visiting Coyotes on Tuesday night.

The Blues (34-15-4) improved to 10-1-1 in their last 12 meetings with the Coyotes with a pair of convincing victories this season - both on the road. Jaden Schwartz recorded a hat trick in a 6-1 win on Oct. 18 and David Backes tied the franchise record with four goals in a 6-0 rout on Jan. 6.

Backes has six points in the season series and 12 in 14 career home matchups, including six in the past four.

A date with the Coyotes (20-27-7) comes at a good time for St. Louis, which has dropped back-to-back games after winning seven straight as part of a 12-0-1 run.

The Blues rallied twice before giving up two goals in the third period to fall 4-2 to Chicago on Sunday. Still, it was an improvement from a 7-1 loss at Columbus two days earlier.

"I thought in the third period we looked tired," coach Ken Hitchcock said. "I think a lot of it was us having to come back. The whole game we had to mount a comeback."

Vladimir Tarasenko continued his outstanding season with his team-best 28th goal Sunday, his fourth in five games. The right wing, though, doesn't have a goal in six games against Arizona, and has yet to register a point in three at home.

T.J. Oshie scored both goals in the Blues' 2-1 victory over the Coyotes on Jan. 14, 2014, in the most recent matchup in St. Louis.

Both Blues goaltenders have enjoyed facing Arizona.

Brian Elliott, who made 24 saves in Sunday's loss, has won five of his last six starts in the series behind a 1.48 goals-against average.

Jake Allen, meanwhile, is 3-0-0 with a 1.33 GAA against the Coyotes. He's won his last three starts overall, allowing four goals, and turned aside 23 shots in a 3-0 victory at Buffalo on Thursday.

Arizona narrowly escaped a third straight defeat Monday, winning 3-2 in a shootout at Chicago. The Blackhawks had the potential winning goal waved off with 16 seconds left in overtime after video review couldn't conclusively show that the puck crossed the line on the initial shot.

"We'll take it as a break and move on," coach Dave Tippett said. "Entertainment at its finest right there."

It was the third straight road win for the Coyotes, who haven't captured four in row away from home since a five-game run from Oct. 13-Nov. 15, 2011.

Antoine Vermette ended a nine-game goal drought Monday, scoring just his second in the past 18 games. He hasn't scored in 16 consecutive games against St. Louis and failed to record a point in eight in a row.

Defenseman Oliver Ekman-Larsson has seven points in eight games after picking up a pair of assists Monday. He has four points in the last three visits to St. Louis.

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

gaijin
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Re: GDT #54: 2/10/15 | 7:00PM CST | v Coyotes | FSMW/KMOX

Post by gaijin »

Kai-Yotes?

Think we'll see Allen tonight and Elliott Thursday against Tampa?

2 points, please. :letsgoblues:

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

Stop the bleeding!
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

ecbm
All-Star
All-Star

Post by ecbm »

Bottom-feeder team, Blues likely walk this one, proves nothing.

Getting to that time. Want playoffs to start...

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

[tweet][/tweet]

not_a_wings_fan
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by not_a_wings_fan »

Pd suggests allen in net tonight.

We really need to win this to get off the slide here.
Official 2008-2015 LGB Sponsor of Barret Jackman

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

As noted above... Lehtera is in tonight. Here is JR's blurb on it.
LEHTERA IS READY

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/hockey/p ... 716d4.html

Signs are pointing to Blues center Jori Lehtera returning to the lineup Tuesday against Arizona, particularly after a roster move late Monday afternoon.
Lehtera has missed six games with a concussion, which he suffered Jan. 29 against Nashville. He has been skating in recent days, and the club said he could play Tuesday.

The fact that the Blues re-assigned forward Ty Rattie to their American Hockey League affiliate Monday makes it more likely that Lehtera is ready. Rattie played in Sunday’s 4-2 loss to the Chicago Blackhawks.

Rattie returns to the Chicago Wolves of the AHL after playing in five games with the Blues this season. He registered his first NHL point, an assist, in a 3-0 win over Buffalo on Feb. 5.
LETS GO BLUES RADIO
LIVE weekly broadcasts on YouTube & http://www.LetsGoBlues.com/radio!
Twitter: https://twitter.com/curtprice
Lets Go Blues Radio Twitter: https://twitter.com/lgbradio
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cprice12/
Lets Go Blues Radio Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lgbradio/

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

Splitting Bouw and Pie might end up for the better. I'm no hockey coach, but it just seems that if you have a guy who's not playing up to snuff, a Butler type for example, it would be beneficial to pair him with someone better so he can rise up to his level instead of having one very good defensive pairing and two so-so pairings.

Arizona may be a bottom feeder, but Columbus was a bum team too and they whipped us, so... not taking anything for granted. Just want Shatty back. Lehtera back is pretty big though.

ecbm
All-Star
All-Star

Post by ecbm »

glen a richter wrote:Splitting Bouw and Pie might end up for the better. I'm no hockey coach, but it just seems that if you have a guy who's not playing up to snuff, a Butler type for example, it would be beneficial to pair him with someone better so he can rise up to his level instead of having one very good defensive pairing and two so-so pairings.

Arizona may be a bottom feeder, but Columbus was a bum team too and they whipped us, so... not taking anything for granted. Just want Shatty back. Lehtera back is pretty big though.
Agree about splitting up. They can't be worse than they have lately and especially with Shatty out they should spread the talent, especially since pairings are going to be different anyway.

As for bottom feeder status-Columbus is a good team with injuries that is underperforming. The Coyotes, like Buffalo, straight-up lack talent. Still, you have to play the games...

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

Question: Wasn't Cole the top power play defenseman when he was in the AHL? Why not give him a shot at more PP time, instead of relying on the Bouwmeester, Pietrangelo, Steen trio which aren't getting it done with Shatty out? any chance this happens?
Official LGB sponsor of Robert Thomas 2022-2023 Season

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

Cole was a 1st round pick who's treated like a 7th round pick. He should be getting more ice time, and more important minutes than he's been getting thus far. I think his development has been stunted, in part because of all the bigger names in front of him. His is a case of either misuse or lack of use that has prevented him from rounding out into what he could be at the NHL level. Playing him on the PP is a fantastic idea but Hitch doesn't seem to have quite the level of faith in him as I think he deserves. He won't be a Blue for long, in any event. When Vanelli, Schmaltz and Parayko make the club in the next 2-3 seasons, Cole will be pushed out. As is, he'll always garner #6 or #7 duties on this team even though he could be a top 4 on many teams. I, for one, feel bad for him.

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

Win, yes. Outburst of goals, no. This team seems to be a 2 gpg squad without Shattenkirk. That won't cut it. Thankfully he'll be back for the playoffs.

ecbm
All-Star
All-Star

Post by ecbm »

glen a richter wrote:Cole was a 1st round pick who's treated like a 7th round pick. He should be getting more ice time, and more important minutes than he's been getting thus far. I think his development has been stunted, in part because of all the bigger names in front of him. His is a case of either misuse or lack of use that has prevented him from rounding out into what he could be at the NHL level. Playing him on the PP is a fantastic idea but Hitch doesn't seem to have quite the level of faith in him as I think he deserves. He won't be a Blue for long, in any event. When Vanelli, Schmaltz and Parayko make the club in the next 2-3 seasons, Cole will be pushed out. As is, he'll always garner #6 or #7 duties on this team even though he could be a top 4 on many teams. I, for one, feel bad for him.
Thing is, I wonder about their development. If we're not seeing Hakanpaa and Schmaltz next season in the minutes being given to Butler/Lindbohm this time around I'm going to start to seriously worry about what's happening with D prospects in this system. It seems to me again that there's a preference for veterans regardless on the part of the current coaching staff too-let's see what they do with Jackman after this season.
glen a richter wrote:Win, yes. Outburst of goals, no. This team seems to be a 2 gpg squad without Shattenkirk. That won't cut it. Thankfully he'll be back for the playoffs.
Maybe. Maybe not. :?

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

glen a richter wrote:Cole was a 1st round pick who's treated like a 7th round pick. He should be getting more ice time, and more important minutes than he's been getting thus far. I think his development has been stunted, in part because of all the bigger names in front of him. His is a case of either misuse or lack of use that has prevented him from rounding out into what he could be at the NHL level. Playing him on the PP is a fantastic idea but Hitch doesn't seem to have quite the level of faith in him as I think he deserves. He won't be a Blue for long, in any event. When Vanelli, Schmaltz and Parayko make the club in the next 2-3 seasons, Cole will be pushed out. As is, he'll always garner #6 or #7 duties on this team even though he could be a top 4 on many teams. I, for one, feel bad for him.
Personally, I feel like Cole has never played well when given the opportunity. Yes, I'm sure it's tough sitting in the press box for 10 games and then getting 2 games to prove your worth. But, for the longest time, he would be one of the weaker defenseman we had in games that he played. And when he did play well, he could never sustain that level.

Only recently has he started to flash that consistency and I'm happy to see it. But if Cole wants to make sure he's not pushed out when the next crop comes up, he's gotta make sure he's in a position to make it a hard decision for the staff.