The Official Prospects Thread

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Re: The Official Prospects Thread

Post by theohall »

It's without Cooley and Knies. He's the only one left from what was effectively Minnesota's top line. I suspect he's going to wind up on a wing with Jimmy Clark (freshman LW/C 1st rd pick by Minnesota) and Oliver Moore (freshman LW first round pick by Chicago and considered the fastest player in the 2023 draft). U of Minnesota lost 14 of the 26 players from their Frozen Four almost winning team. All but Cooley were lost to graduation, so it's going to be a much younger hockey team.
Official LGB sponsor of Robert Thomas 2022-2023 Season

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

Not sure who all saw this video with Tim Taylor talking about prospect camp.

Beyond him commenting on how much talent was there... He opens talking about Tanner Dickinson who apparently impressed him in a big way, which is saying something considering the apparent skill level of this group and what Dickinson has recovered from.

Springfield should be loaded with young talent this season, but these 20 year olds will still be adjusting to playing stronger, more experienced opponents. We'll see who adapts the quickest. My bet is still on Zac Dean.

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

I’m definitely heading up to Bridgeport for the November 11th game. I’ll be especially keeping an eye on Dickinson. Based on perseverance and heart alone if he doesn’t get a call for at least one game at the end of the season I’ll be disappointed. He could show someone like Kyrou what hard work and giving a shit actually look like.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

Corey Pronman from The Athletic has the Blues as 18th in the NHL pipeline rankings for 2023.

He ranks the Blues prospects as follows:
1. Dalibor Dvorsky, C (Tier: Top of the lineup player)
2. Jimmy Snuggerud, RW (Tier: Bubble top and middle of the lineup player)
3. Otto Stenberg, C (Tier: Middle of the lineup player)
4. Jake Neighbours, LW (Tier: Middle of the lineup player)
5. Zach Dean, C (Tier: Middle of the lineup player)
6. Theo Lindstein, D (Tier: Projected to play NHL games
7. Zachary Bolduc, C (Tier: Projected to play NHL games)
8. Juraj Pekarcik, LW (Tier: Projected to play NHL games)
9. Marc-Andre Gaudet, D (Tier: Projected to play NHL games)
10. Arseni Koromyslov, D (Tier: Projected to play NHL games)
11. Nikita Alexandrov, C (Tier: Projected to play NHL games)

Granted it's one guy's opinion but it's Dvorsky, Snuggy and then... everyone else and a whole lot of "meh."

We really need Lindstein to pan out. I hope he does.
Official 2021-2022 LGB Sponsor of Torey Krug
Official 2021 LGB Sponsor of Brayden Schenn
Official 2018-2019 LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2018 LGB Playoff Challenge Champ
Official 2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
Official 2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Scottie Upshall
Official 2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

I saw those rankings, find it hard to believe Bolduc is so lowly ranked. Neighbours, I don’t like him. I’m glad Perunovich isn’t on there, I’m probably never going to be sold on him. Where’s Buchinger? I think these rankings are just completely random.

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

Buchinger was around 15th. I completely understand the Bolduc ranking after watching a bunch Of Remparts late regular season and playoff games. For such a highly touted prospect, he was unnoticeable too often in games, plus his weak transition game passing is a big issue. I'm more surprised Dean isn't top 3 given what he did in the playoffs with lesser talent around him. He led the QMJHL playoffs in scoring (points). And Dean was on the #2 PP until the series against Quebec, when they finally moved him to the 1st unit. The only play drivers on that list are Dvorsky, Stenberg, and Dean.

Bolduc is NOT a center. His entire time in juniors, he probably took less than 50 faceoffs. He was a RW exclusively, including on the PP, for Quebec.

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

Unless I missed him, Bolduc was nowhere to be seen on the “top players under 23”. Hell, Neighbours was on the list but not a mention of Bolduc. Maybe the kid will be a bust, who knows?

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

Bolduc was 7th on Pronman's list
Analysis: Bolduc is a tough evaluation case. He’s put up great numbers in the QMJHL the past few seasons. He has NHL talent between his skating, hands and shot. He can run a power play flank like a pro due to his skill, offensive brain and his lethal one-timer. There is a concern about how much his game will translate to the pros though due to his compete. He’s not completely devoid of compete, but he is a perimeter forward who can be inconsistent with his effort even though he does have some physicality in his game. That’s partly why he was cut from Canada’s U20 team. He’s so talented I think he will end up playing NHL games, but I’d like to see more interior offense that will translate before I say he’s going to have a career.
Which is what I saw... the sometimes compete along with the questionable transition, although he would play the 200' game, it was the inconsistent neutral zone stuff that was a head scratcher...

And that doesn't bode well for Bolduc if he can't eliminate that perimeter moniker... The Blues already have one of those in Kyrou, but Kyrou has wheels Bolduc does not.

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

Blues vs Wild are live on Blues TV and the Wild's YouTube channel in a prospects game.

Blues prospects look good, so far. Wild's only shots have been from distance. Blues had a couple from in tight.

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

No idea yet, who is coaching this prospects team, but they look alot like what Mike Weber would coach. Outstanding positioning. Solid stick angles. Use size if you don't have reach; reach without size, skating without either.

The Wild have been challenged to have any extended offensive zone time, even on the power play. The only guy on the Wild driving offensive zone play has been Sammy Walker. When he hasn't been on the ice, they can't generate chances. Meanwhile, Zherenko looks like the 7th round steal who stole ice time from Hofer last season in Springfield.

Blues up 3-0 after 2 with goals from Abramov, Bounafan (sp), and Washkurak (SHG).

Blues play the Blackhawks at 6 CT tomorrow.

If you want to see more Bedard,

The Wild and Hawks play Sunday at 3 CT.

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

Blues won 5-1

Goals from Abramov, Bonefon, Washkurak, Alexandrov, and Dean.

Zherenko in net for the 1 GA. Great game by him.

Blues looked outstanding in terms of positional play, including forechecking responsibly, and forwards getting back deep to help defend and in transition. The very few breakdowns in normal play, Zherenko handled. His only goal allowed was off of a line change when a forward should have passed back into the d-zone while the D delayed the change, but the D changed before the forward made the decision leading to one of the few odd-man breaks the Blues allowed and the Wild got their one goal. They got NOTHING off of their PP, while the Blues scored a shortie and had another directly in front of the Wild net SH chance. If what the prospects are doing carries over to the veterans, at a minimum, on the defensive side of the puck, the Blues will challenge Dallas for the 2nd place team in the Central. If it doesn't carry over, these veteran D or the forwards not helping, need to get their asses out of town. I hope to heck what I saw tonight was Mike Weber's influence.

Not going to put much stock in the next prospects game since it will probably be Cranley and Ellis (neither are on the radar as being NHL goalies) splitting the game. Zherenko already proved what he can do locking him in as the T-Birds unquestioned #1. IMO, Hofer and Zherenko are the Blues duo next season, unless Binnington can flip his verifiable statistical decline. Yes, he had the great playoffs before being hurt vs Colorado, but other than the Cup run, he hasn't shown he can sustain that level. Yes, it was a ridiculous level. However, if either Hofer or Zherenko can be demonstrate more sustainability, Binnington becomes an easy trade candidate for 24-25. I'm betting Hofer takes over from Binnington this regular season and Zherenko cements how good he can be as an unquestioned #1 for Springfield. Moving Zherenko into a 1A/1B role with Hofer for the 24-25 season.

I'm confident, as much as Armstrong says he wants the Blues to be a playoff team again this season, his focus in terms of actually winning in the playoffs, is 25-26.... Yes. That's 2 full regular seasons... but that's what I believe unless a bunch of guys who haven't proved it before, prove us wrong, and the Blues D, which is full of NTCs, plays to win and not for paychecks.

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

Chicago was way better through 2 periods and the beginning of the 3rd. They dominated 5-on-5 play, but Ellis kept them off the board. Cranley then promptly gave up 3 goals in 12 minutes of play... 3rd is still ongoing, but Chicago's aggressive forecheck - looks like the Avs system from their Cup run - has been too much for the Blues prospects to handle.

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

Dvorsky is leaving his dumpster fire of a Swedish team to come play in the OHL. Hopefully he can log more than 40 seconds a night and actually start producing. Best thing that could have happened to him was leaving that goddawful club over there.

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

In the early goings Juraj Pekarcik is off to a really good start in Dubuque. 3-13-16 in 11 games and an even plus/minus. I’m really intrigued by this guy, if I remember he was the youngest guy in the draft and a couple days shy of being ineligible until next year. Maybe a huge steal where the Blues got him. I’m feeling a future top 6er.

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

Snuggerud started off well. 6 GP 5 G 2 A. Higher goal pace. Similar point pace to last season with different linemates.

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

https://www.nhl.com/news/snuggerud-gaut ... amp-roster

Snuggerud in World Juniors again. Haven't seen the other rosters to see if any of the Swedes or Fins are on their respective teams.

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

https://www.nhl.com/blues/news/dvorsky- ... -hat-trick

Dvorsky on 111 point pace for 68 games played. Almost a certainty he'll play for Slovakia again in the WJC.

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

Buchinger made Team Canada's WJC roster. 2nd pair LD for now, but positions always seem to shift for Team Canada as the tournament progresses.

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

I guess Pekarcik was injured because he was sitting on 14 GP for a long time but he’s back in action. As far as I’m concerned he’s absolutely our most intriguing prospect. Doing great in the O and would have been a 1st rounder if he wasn’t barely eligible this past draft.

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

Elite Prospects shows Pekarcik playing in the USHL this season (Dubuque Fighting Saints). Heck, he's missed six games, leads the team in assists and is 2nd in points. Also looks like he's on Slovakia's 'preliminary WJC roster with Dvorsky.

Otto Stenberg made Sweden's roster.

Finland's hasn't been announced, yet.

There could be 7 Blues prospects playing in this year's WJC.

Canada - Buchinger
USA - Snuggerud
Sweden - Stenberg
Slovakia - Dvorsky, Pekarcik
Finland - Kaskimaki is likely

Not sure on the last one.