The Official Prospects Thread

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Re: The Official Prospects Thread

Post by theohall »

Kryou putting up those kinds of numbers (54GP 25G 50A) as an 18-year old is awesome!! Younger players production at that level usually translates better as they move up than older players playing at that level. (OHL age has players from 16-21)

While looking at this stuff, Nick Suzuki, 17-year old C, is 7th in the OHL in scoring (53GP, 30G, 41A). Definitely worth a look at the upcoming draft. Won't turn 18 until 2 months after he gets drafted. Currently rated as a 2nd round prospect because of his size (5'11" 183) which is proving to be a ludicrous reason to downgrade players nowadays.
Official LGB sponsor of Robert Thomas 2022-2023 Season

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

glen a richter wrote:Just in on the Twitterverse, Jordan Kyrou has points in 21 consecutive games now. I'd love to see this translate to the NHL but realistically it's not happening this season unless Army totally blows the team apart which won't happen with all this sudden winning. Kyrou is still a couple years away, but so far trading for that pick looks good.
I think Kyrou is a sleeper pick and even at the time we selected him some pundits were praising it as a "sneaky" pick. I'm really optimistic about the kid.

Nobody answered the question I had from earlier in the thread: I see Tommy Vannelli is in the ECHL. I know he had health problems but there should be steps forward, not back. Is he officially a bust? Anyone seen him play?
Official 2021-2022 LGB Sponsor of Torey Krug
Official 2021 LGB Sponsor of Brayden Schenn
Official 2018-2019 LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2018 LGB Playoff Challenge Champ
Official 2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
Official 2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Scottie Upshall
Official 2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

Considering Vannelli's age (already 22), the Blues being stacked at right defense (including at the AHL level), and Vanelli being behind all those guys, his likelihood of reaching the Blues any time soon is doubtful.

He was re-assigned by the Blues within the ECHL from the Missouri Mavericks to the Atlanta Gladiators this January. He only played 11 of the first 33 Mavericks games (0G 2A) while he's played every game for the Gladiators since his arrival (15GP 0G 6A). This looks like a move to get him more consistent playing time.

That's about all I could find out.

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

Blues could lose Berube to Las Vegas, apparently. I would strongly suggest Blues management move his ass up to the big club where he can get the most out of the younger players, like he is doing in Chicago, since it's not going to come from Yeo.

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

If they lose Berube to Vegas it'll be in an assistant capacity. I'm positive they would have been in on Julien had Montreal not scooped him up, but I wouldn't write off Hitchcock being their 1st HC.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

Which is why they need to move Berube up, even as an assistant. If the Blues can get someone on the staff who counters Yeo's weakness - not getting the most offensively from his players, not good at developing young players, being a defense-first coach - it could make the way forward look less gloomy. It doesn't look like Steve Thomas alone is that answer.

I actually see the Blues winning over 2/3rds of their remaining games (weak schedule), seeing all this praise for Yeo, and the Blues getting knocked out in the first round because they are only going to average 2.4 G/Gm (almost all of Yeo's seasons, except the first, ended with this number) by the time this season is over. It's already started with the Blues scoring 2 goals or less in 6 of the 10 games under Yeo.

Toasted Oates
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by Toasted Oates »

https://twitter.com/Chicago_Wolves/status/835717541490089988 This kid's sweater will fly off the rack when he makes it up here. What a beauty.
2016-2017 LGB sponsor of your boy, goaltender Jake Allen and a center for Vladi Tarasenko (UPDATE: FOUND! Ryan O' Reilly. July 1, 2018).
2017-2018 LGB sponsor of a damn fine rearguard, Capt. Alex Pietrangelo.
2018-2019 LGB sponsor of the 2nd greatest Joel in Blues history, #6 Joel "Eddy" Edmundson.

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

He can play offense, he can play defense and he's clearly not a pansy. Goon will love him!

Also, Kyrou now has points in 24 consecutive games, 81 on the season. I would love to see him get a shot next season. Even at 18+ years old as a 2nd rounder without any AHL seasoning he still has to be better than Lehtera.

Toasted Oates
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by Toasted Oates »

https://twitter.com/OHLHockey/status/837126417804570624 :shock:
2016-2017 LGB sponsor of your boy, goaltender Jake Allen and a center for Vladi Tarasenko (UPDATE: FOUND! Ryan O' Reilly. July 1, 2018).
2018-2019 LGB sponsor of the 2nd greatest Joel in Blues history, #6 Joel "Eddy" Edmundson.

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

Dang! Doubt he'd be able to pull that off at the NHL level, but I want this kid getting a shot next season.

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

glen a richter wrote:Dang! Doubt he'd be able to pull that off at the NHL level, but I want this kid getting a shot next season.
Yea no way. He'd get his bell rung.
Toasted Oates wrote:https://twitter.com/Chicago_Wolves/status/835717541490089988 This kid's sweater will fly off the rack when he makes it up here. What a beauty.
That's insane. I don't remember the last time I've seen a brawl in the hallways. That's when you start flirting with criminal charges when that crap leaves the ice surface.

(Not saying it's going to happen just that that's where the paradigm shifts into really serious repercussions). Kid needs to be careful.
Official 2021-2022 LGB Sponsor of Torey Krug
Official 2021 LGB Sponsor of Brayden Schenn
Official 2018-2019 LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2018 LGB Playoff Challenge Champ
Official 2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
Official 2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Scottie Upshall
Official 2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

WaukeeBlues wrote:
Toasted Oates wrote:https://twitter.com/Chicago_Wolves/status/835717541490089988 This kid's sweater will fly off the rack when he makes it up here. What a beauty.
That's insane. I don't remember the last time I've seen a brawl in the hallways. That's when you start flirting with criminal charges when that crap leaves the ice surface.

(Not saying it's going to happen just that that's where the paradigm shifts into really serious repercussions). Kid needs to be careful.
There is a longer video of this. The guy from the other team went after Dunn in the hallway. Dunn just finished it. The other guy is the one who needs to be careful.

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

Blues recall Schmaltz, instead of Dunn. Some might think not recalling Dunn is to save an entry level contract year. Well, that only works if the player is still 18 or 19. Dunn is already 20, so there aren't any years to save.

Toasted Oates
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by Toasted Oates »

Dunn seems like he is ready. I would (probably) never wish for an injury, but if one of 19/4/6 were to get nicked up....

Hope Schmaltz gets in there tomorrow night. All he's gotta do is beat out Bortuzzo. Seems almost too easy.

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

glen a richter wrote:Dang! Doubt he'd be able to pull that off at the NHL level, but I want this kid getting a shot next season.
The Blackhawks Panik just did something like this. Not end-to-end, but the offensive zone part of it from blue line in looked very similar and it happened in an NHL game. Penguins D zone coverage over-committed to everyone on the ice, but Panik.

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

Blues signed Tage Thompson.

Guess where he will report?

That's right. Straight to the Wolves when this team has an issue at C.

So just another C signed the coach won't play.

I remember a day when the Blues signed their first round draft picks out of college and actually had them join the team, not be relegated to the AHL. It's not like Thompson can play in the AHL playoffs, but he is eligible for the NHL playoffs. Smart move, Dougie. :doh: :facepalm:

But we have to keep Paajarvi, Yakupov, Jaskin, and Lehtera on the roster, instead.

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

Yeo wouldn't play Tage, he'd just sit in the "rich" games. Same reason Schmaltz is sitting. It's nonsense.

I hope this team loses 10-0 tonight to wake up the damn coach.

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

glen a richter wrote:I hope this team loses 10-0 tonight to wake up the damn coach.
If the Blues get blown out, Yeo will just make excuses, put the STL line together for the next game, and still wonder why the Blues aren't scoring enough even strength goals. It's the same crap Yeo did with the Wild. Horrible hire in the first place.

Why is it no one seems to believe this? It's easy to read old stories about the Wild with this magical thing called the internet.

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

I hope to hell Jori Lehtera gets bought out of his contract next season.

The Blues will have the following C prospects in camp:

Tage Thompson (R)
Jordan Kyrou (R)
Ivan Barbashev (L)
Zach Sanford (L)

That right shooting C thing is a big deal considering the only R shooting C currently on the Blues rosters is Kyle Brodziak. Not having more than one C with that ability limits how the team handles faceoffs and makes the team easier to defend against.

At least one of them has to be better than Lehtera.

The problem I see, Armstrong won't quit on players already under contract. This puts Stastny, Berglund, Lehtera, Brodziak, and Sanford as this team's 2017-2018 centers before camp even starts. It's wrong to build a team that way, but Armstrong has done this before - contracts over talent. Buying out Lehtera, which should be a given, only costs the Blues part of his cap space for the 2017 season and clears 5M for the 2018 season. But, this probably won't happen with Lehtera having whatever blackmail evidence he has on Armstrong and Vladi.

So something has to give at the C position. Berglund, Stastny, and Brodziak are not going anywhere, but Kyrou and Thompson should both be on the 2017-18 roster.

And, god, please, DO NOT RE-SIGN Paajarvi and Yakupov (RFAs that no team in the league wants). Especially when the team could move up Blais and re-sign Agostino to put in their place.

But, we will likely get the same group of crappy centers we currently have while giving the Oilers 1st round busts yet another opportunity at which they will not succeed while skilled prospects stay in the minors in stead of playing with main team to improve it's skill level.

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

Sportsnet’s 2017 NHL Draft Prospect Rankings for March

Reading through this one should understand how weak the 2017 draft class looks. These are the top 31 per TSN and at #12 they are already talking about scoring issues...
We’re a little more than three months away from the NHL Draft and the rankings continue to move around.

Top prospect Nolan Patrick maintains his position atop our rankings, but it’s a crowded field behind him, with nine of the next 10 players moving position from our last rankings in January.

Here are Sportsnet’s Top 31 NHL Draft Rankings for the month of March, with the player’s last ranking in parentheses.

1. (1) Nolan Patrick, C – Brandon Wheat Kings (WHL): Since returning from injury has shown that he deserved to stay atop draft lists. Does everything so well, not flashy but has a pro style about him already. Think Jonathan Toews-lite.

2. (3) Nico Hischier, C – Halifax Mooseheads (QMJHL): Popped big at the WJC and CHL Top Prospects game, but has tailed off slightly. Was injured and since returning has played a slightly different game. Some scouts worry about some of the fatigue he’s shown, but his skills more than compensate.

3. (2) Timothy Liljegren, D – Rogle U20 (SuperElit): A strong Five Nations Tournament alleviated all fears that his game was slipping. For most teams he is the best defenceman in this year's draft.

4. (6) Owen Tippett, RW – Mississauga Steelheads (OHL): Injured at Top Prospects game and played hurt until docs shut him down. Consistently finds scoring chances and goals every game. Pure sniper.

5. (5) Gabe Vilardi, C/RW – Windsor Spitfires (OHL): Probably Windsor’s most consistent player this season. Plays wing, but is a natural centre and has played a few games at that position. Almost a full year younger than Nolan Patrick.

6. (8) Casey Mittelstadt, C – Eden Prairie (Minnesota High School): Was over a point per game player in the USHL and since going back to play high school hockey at Eden Prairie he’s more than doubled that rate of production.

7. (4) Eeli Tolvanen, LW - Sioux City Musketeers (USHL): Heating back up again in the USHL. One of the top pure snipers in the draft this season.

8. (10) Martin Necas, C - HC Kometo Brno (Extraliga): Plays a very confident two-way game. Defensively responsible, has a great engine and doesn’t tire.

9. (11) Michael Rasmussen, C - Tri-City Americans (WHL): A wrist injury will cost him three months, but scouts still rave. Rasmussen can score goals and for a 6-foot-5 player, scouts are impressed at how well he gets around the ice. Has been great on the PP.

10. (12) Cale Makar, D - Brooks Bandits (AJHL): Elusive and agile, can skate the puck out of trouble. Processes the game quickly and can run a power play.

11. (9) Nicholas Hague, D - Mississauga Steelheads (OHL): Plays in all situations, can anchor a PP. Some scouts think skating still an issue, others not that concerned about his feet. Very poised, well controlled now.

12. (14) Lias Andersson, C - HV71 (SHL): Had a production dip after the WJC, but has been on fire of late putting up big points in the SHL.

13. (18) Miro Heiskanen, D - HIFK (Liiga): Has had just about all the teams picking in the top 10 following him lately. Could be a big riser come draft day.

14. (13) Juuso Valimaki, D - Tri-City Americans (WHL): A good all-around blueliner who’s enjoyed great experience at the junior and international level. Not huge, but possesses great awareness. Has drawn comparisons to Olli Juolevi (VAN).

15. (19) Cal Foote, D – Kelowna Rockets (WHL): Will be a 12-year NHLer. A really solid, safe pick.

16. (16) Cody Glass, C – Portland Winterhawks (WHL): Has enjoyed a meteoric rise up the draft rankings since the start of the season. Great skater, skilled playmaker and joins the impressive list of high-end players coming out of Portland.

17. (20) Erik Brannstrom, D - HV71 U-20 (SuperElite): NHL teams who favour a smart possession game will love Brannstrom. Undersized by traditional standards (5-foot-10, 179 pounds), but moves the puck great. At the Five Nations Tournament he played like every shift was his last and tried to make something happen every time he was out there. Scouts noticed.

18. (7) Klim Kostin, RW - Balashikha (MHL): Shoulder surgery has ended what’s been a challenging draft season for the Russian forward.

19. (15) Maxime Comtois, LW – Victoriaville Tigres (QMJHL): His play has picked up since Pascal Laberge returned, but his scoring is still off. Still, scouts see a lot of potential here.

20. (22) Kailer Yamamoto, RW - Spokane Chiefs (WHL): A shifty, dynamic scorer who has a great shot at winning the WHL scoring title next season. Lacks size (5-foot-9), but such a skilled player.

21. (17) Kristian Vesalainen, RW, Frolunda (SHL): Scouts like the size and potential, but the lack of production concerns many.

22. (21) Urho Vaakanainen, D - JYP (Liiga): Shines on the defensive side of the puck at even strength and PK. Has an uncanny ability to get his stick in shooting and passing lanes. Just don’t expect offence. He won’t be out there late in a game to tie it up, but you’ll love him out there protecting a lead.

23. (25) Nick Suzuki, C - Owen Sound Attack (OHL): A high hockey IQ and very little panic in his game. Versatile player: They use him on both the first unit PP and PK in Owen Sound.

24. (23) Ryan Poehling, C, St. Cloud State (NCAA): Playing as a true freshman is challenging, but this hard-working, two-way centre is working through it. Got off to a slow start, but has improved steadily all season. Competes hard and has offensive skill.

25. (26) Robert Thomas, C – London Knights (OHL): Best comparison is to former Knight Bo Horvat and it’s not off.

26. (24) Shane Bowers, C, Waterloo Blackhawks (USHL): Doesn’t have one thing that stands out about his game, but is good at a number of things. Plays the full rink and brings a strong work ethic to every game.

27. (30) Elias Pettersson, C - Timra (SuperElite): Playing in Sweden he’s been lights out, but internationally it’s a different story where he’s struggled, most recently at the world juniors. The team that drafts him will have to be patient, but he has the tools to make their patience pay off.

28. (27) Matthew Strome, LW - Hamilton Bulldogs (OHL): Such a smart player whose main calling card is his high-end hockey sense. He’s never been the best skater, but always produces. Loaded with potential.

29. (NR) Kole Lind, C - Kelowna Rockets (WHL): Joins the list of top forwards coming out of the Rockets organization like Nick Merkley (ARI) and Dillon Dube (CGY). He’s a playmaker who can also find the back of the net and isn’t shy about playing physical either.

30. (29) Nikita Popugaev, LW - Prince George Cougars: Second generation player (dad played for Moscow Dynamo) who turned some heads at the Top Prospects game. His production has tailed off since his torrid start, but plays with some high-end talent with the Cougars and should enjoy a long playoff run.

31. (NR) MacKenzie Entwistle, C - Hamilton Bulldogs (OHL): Played at the CHL Top Prospects game with mono and impressed scouts with skill and work ethic. Has a real pro presentation both on and off the ice. Plays in all situations and seems comfortable in all of them. Perhaps the most low maintenance player in the entire CHL. A coach's dream.