GDT Game 6: 4/26/15 | 2:00PM CST | @ Wild | NBC/Y98

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Re: GDT Game 6: 4/26/15 | 2:00PM CST | @ Wild | NBC/Y98

Post by cardsfan04 »

Nyghtewynd wrote:Doug Armstrong, ladies and gentlemen. Doug Armstrong. If you didn't see this coming, then I can't learn for you. You're just not very bright.

I feel bad for Stillman, because he seems like a pretty nice guy who tried hard. But you can't build a team with a below-average GM, and Stillman kept him. Nearly every decision Armstrong made for the past two years failed, and we'll be paying for a couple of them for the next few years.

I can't imagine this franchise will be able to sell tickets in the regular season. Stillman's best option may be to slash payroll.
Didn't you say that last year too about selling tickets? We averaged 18,545 this year. In a building that holds 19,150, that's pretty solid.

Armstrong won't be going anywhere. He built a good team. This is on the players and probably Hitch.
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2016-2017 Official LGB Sponsor of Dmitri Jaskin
2017-2018 Official LGB Sponsor of Jake Allen

TSUCookieMonster
All-Star
All-Star

Post by TSUCookieMonster »

I wonder if relocation is going to be on the table. They've tried everything else in STL (coaches, players, staff, etc). It has to be the city or the arena, that's all that is left to change ... There is an arena pretty close to my house in Kansas City that could use a tenant.

[Dooger] 11:53 pm: Thank God you're here! Some Wings fans were in here trying to have sex with me.

KrustyKevo
3rd Line Grinder
3rd Line Grinder

Post by KrustyKevo »

Krigloch the Furious wrote:Bye bye Hitch Bouwmeester, Gunnarson, Jackman, Oshie, Goc, Berglund.. Take the C from Backes, give it to Pietrangelo.
And yeah, Im thinking Armstrong too.
I'd be completely fine with all of this happening.
“It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge. War endures. As well ask men what they think of stone. War was always here. Before man was, war waited for him. The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner. That is the way it was and will be. That way and not some other way.”

TSUCookieMonster
All-Star
All-Star

Just looking out for everyone's best interests...

Edit: Sorry for the double posts, still figuring out tapatalk

[Dooger] 11:53 pm: Thank God you're here! Some Wings fans were in here trying to have sex with me.

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

Sounds like Hitch might be gone. This was fast.
https://twitter.com/thekapman/status/592452829312233472

JesusNEVERexisted
All-Star
All-Star

Post by JesusNEVERexisted »

cardsfan04 wrote:Sounds like Hitch might be gone. This was fast.
https://twitter.com/thekapman/status/592452829312233472
San Jose ' s coach?? They should go for Bylsma and at least inquire about Babcock.

Nyghtewynd
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by Nyghtewynd »

You may want to let that genius know that Hitch has no contract. He's not going to be fired. He's simply not going to be resigned.

There's no point in talking about him. I can't even figure out why Stillman is letting him do the postgame presser.
dhabums wrote:You and your buddies here are a joke and most of this site knows it.
Sponsor of Having A Real Good Time, Happy Pony, and all those who suffer from being right all the time.

JesusNEVERexisted
All-Star
All-Star

Post by JesusNEVERexisted »

TSUCookieMonster wrote:I wonder if relocation is going to be on the table. They've tried everything else in STL (coaches, players, staff, etc). It has to be the city or the arena, that's all that is left to change ... There is an arena pretty close to my house in Kansas City that could use a tenant.
I'm 99.9% sure the Blues won't ever leave St.Louis. The Rams have 1 foot out the door and there is NO way St.Louis becomes a 1 sport town with just the Cards.

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

JesusNEVERexisted wrote:
TSUCookieMonster wrote:I wonder if relocation is going to be on the table. They've tried everything else in STL (coaches, players, staff, etc). It has to be the city or the arena, that's all that is left to change ... There is an arena pretty close to my house in Kansas City that could use a tenant.
I'm 99.9% sure the Blues won't ever leave St.Louis. The Rams have 1 foot out the door and there is NO way St.Louis becomes a 1 sport town with just the Cards.
I'm pretty sure it was tongue in cheek.

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

Nyghtewynd wrote:You may want to let that genius know that Hitch has no contract. He's not going to be fired. He's simply not going to be resigned.

There's no point in talking about him. I can't even figure out why Stillman is letting him do the postgame presser.
Yeah, he chose the wrong word. I think the meaning was pretty clear though.

Jarden505
Prospect
Prospect

Post by Jarden505 »

I'm so tired of this, I'm a die hard blues fan...I moved to New goddamn Mexico, where there's almost no hockey in this desert, and STILL bleed blue, how long, how many years. Never a cup. Not one. And we rarely get past the first round. I'm just tired and mad. I fuckin LOVE my Blues, but one cup, before I die, please

Oaklandblue
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Oaklandblue »

Things I took away from this season:

1. Jake Allen more than earned his stripes. This may be the straw that costs us Brian Elliott in the end, which may not seem wholly bad, but tell me who replaces Ells if he demands a trade, and at this point he really should.

2. The entire front line needs to go. Package a deal and get us a top line elite. Enough of this good but not great player mentality. I no longer care what how well they do in the season, if they can not finish what they start in the playoffs, they have no right to be on this roster.

3. Army can do right by me by simply doing #2. Army has gotten us above-average solid, reliable regular season help, but can he sign the guys who can take it to the next level? That's the real challenge on his plate. I feel that signing Stastny was NOT the right approach and we should have went for a player who has gotten it done, not someone who is talented but has a ways to go. Tarasenko can't do it alone and for this team to take the next level we need at least two more Frank-likes on this roster. We have these situations where we have players come in that are dynamite in the short term but fizzle out and become overall average. I think that's the biggest drawback of the Army Plan. Right now we sit at a very good opportunity to trade off players to change the lockerroom culture and bring in elites who can instill the cunning sense of hunger and resolve that we're missing. We're only as good as the sum of our parts, and as it stands we are left wanting. Strip all of the letters except for Pie. He earned his this series. Frank should get an A. I wouldn't award an A to any player on this roster, I would sign in an elite and they would get the C. Change the entire makeup of the team this way.

4. To add to 3, mind that out of 30 teams, 16 make the playoffs every season. That's one over half, means your team as it stands has a 50% chance of making the playoffs every year, statistically. This is the statistic that too many people have bought into and tried to use to compare a team to those teams with talent, resolve, dilligence and a killer instinct. We need to dump that ideology and adopt one that has resolve, dilligence and a killer instinct. The rest will follow.

5. Bsylma can turn this around. Todd from San Jose is a horrible choice. I would consider signing Torts if we keep this roster because at least he'd light a fire under this rosters butt and drain every bit of power and talent they got. That's the >kind< of coach they need (Not saying sign Torts, let me make that clear, just someone who is going to make this team earn every step and not coast around).
2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Alexander Steen
2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Jaromir Jagr, Calgary Flames
2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Brian Elliott, Calgary Flames
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Ryan "Turn that leaf on the wind into a shrimp on the bar-bee" Reaves
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Obviously Not Steve Ott
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Steve "Chirps-A-Lot" Ott
2015 LGB Supporter of the New York Rangers
2014-2015 LGB Sponsor of Patrik "No-Timer" Berglund
2013-2014 LGB Sponsor of Derek "In The Middle" Roy
2012-2013 LGB Sponsor of Chris "NO SLEEP TIL THE CUP!" Stewart - Shhhhh!!!

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

Oaklandblue wrote:Things I took away from this season:

1. Jake Allen more than earned his stripes. This may be the straw that costs us Brian Elliott in the end, which may not seem wholly bad, but tell me who replaces Ells if he demands a trade, and at this point he really should.
Neither will likely sign away from their current team, but Cam Talbot and Dipshit Devan Dubnyk are both UFA's.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

Allen has faced a good bit of criticism in the media today. I mean, both goals he allowed today were awful and inexcusable. But, I thought he played well for the series.

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

cardsfan04 wrote:Allen has faced a good bit of criticism in the media today. I mean, both goals he allowed today were awful and inexcusable. But, I thought he played well for the series.
On one hand, he's a kid getting his first taste of NHL playoffs. On the other hand, he's had postseason failures before. I credit him for helping keep it from being a sweep, but he sure didn't help the last two games. Nevertheless, I think he's got more of a future in St. Louis than Elliott does. No way Ells doesn't demand a trade after the way the last few postseasons went down.

TSUCookieMonster
All-Star
All-Star

cardsfan04 wrote:
JesusNEVERexisted wrote:
+1. Didn't realize that would be taken seriously...

Oaklandblue
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Oaklandblue »

TSUCookieMonster wrote:
cardsfan04 wrote:
JesusNEVERexisted wrote:
+1. Didn't realize that would be taken seriously...
Hamilton just called. When can they expect the Blues to be up north by? :)
2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Alexander Steen
2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Jaromir Jagr, Calgary Flames
2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Brian Elliott, Calgary Flames
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Ryan "Turn that leaf on the wind into a shrimp on the bar-bee" Reaves
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Obviously Not Steve Ott
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Steve "Chirps-A-Lot" Ott
2015 LGB Supporter of the New York Rangers
2014-2015 LGB Sponsor of Patrik "No-Timer" Berglund
2013-2014 LGB Sponsor of Derek "In The Middle" Roy
2012-2013 LGB Sponsor of Chris "NO SLEEP TIL THE CUP!" Stewart - Shhhhh!!!

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

Oaklandblue wrote:Things I took away from this season:

2. The entire front line needs to go. Package a deal and get us a top line elite. Enough of this good but not great player mentality. I no longer care what how well they do in the season, if they can not finish what they start in the playoffs, they have no right to be on this roster.

3. Army can do right by me by simply doing #2. Army has gotten us above-average solid, reliable regular season help, but can he sign the guys who can take it to the next level? That's the real challenge on his plate. I feel that signing Stastny was NOT the right approach and we should have went for a player who has gotten it done, not someone who is talented but has a ways to go. Tarasenko can't do it alone and for this team to take the next level we need at least two more Frank-likes on this roster. We have these situations where we have players come in that are dynamite in the short term but fizzle out and become overall average. I think that's the biggest drawback of the Army Plan. Right now we sit at a very good opportunity to trade off players to change the lockerroom culture and bring in elites who can instill the cunning sense of hunger and resolve that we're missing. We're only as good as the sum of our parts, and as it stands we are left wanting. Strip all of the letters except for Pie. He earned his this series. Frank should get an A. I wouldn't award an A to any player on this roster, I would sign in an elite and they would get the C. Change the entire makeup of the team this way.

4. To add to 3, mind that out of 30 teams, 16 make the playoffs every season. That's one over half, means your team as it stands has a 50% chance of making the playoffs every year, statistically. This is the statistic that too many people have bought into and tried to use to compare a team to those teams with talent, resolve, dilligence and a killer instinct. We need to dump that ideology and adopt one that has resolve, dilligence and a killer instinct. The rest will follow.

5. Bsylma can turn this around. Todd from San Jose is a horrible choice. I would consider signing Torts if we keep this roster because at least he'd light a fire under this rosters butt and drain every bit of power and talent they got. That's the >kind< of coach they need (Not saying sign Torts, let me make that clear, just someone who is going to make this team earn every step and not coast around).
Said it in the other thread but briefly repeat here... Backes and Steen need to be traded. I'd hesitate on Oshie but I wouldn't bat an eyelash if he went too. It's not just management leadership anymore. It's the core guys that have been here for years that need to be accountable: Backes, Oshie, Steen, Berglund. All 4 can be traded and I wouldn't shed a tear. Oshie maybe.

Hitch gone is a foregone conclusion at this point.

I like Shatty and Pietro. Everyone else I don't really care. Michalek did well from what I saw and I like Bortuzzo. Do not bring Jackman back.

Allen isn't there yet. It was unfair to expect him to carry us to the cup this offseason. As I also said in the other thread, this organization has treated Brian Elliott like dogsh*t and I feel legitimately bad for the guy.
Official 2021-2022 LGB Sponsor of Torey Krug
Official 2021 LGB Sponsor of Brayden Schenn
Official 2018-2019 LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2018 LGB Playoff Challenge Champ
Official 2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
Official 2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Scottie Upshall
Official 2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

This is what's going to answer the, 'How can we pay Tarasenko?' question. Backes, Oshie (he's top on my list to ship out), Bouwmeester, Ott, Goc, etc. will all be gone, most likely. Jackman? Maybe.

I would keep Steen, because even though he's only scored 6 playoff goals, he's scored them 2 of them in OT, so that at least adds some value. Plus, he's pretty great for us throughout the entire season in all his roles.

Anyone that blames Allen for this series loss is pretty crazy.

I'm just so deflated. This sort of feel like the rebuild that started after 05-06 just reached it's conclusion and it was a failure. I remember dreaming in '08 or '09 of having a Cup within 5 years. That didn't end up being the case.

The bonus is that the roster still has a young/great core in Senko, Schwartz, Jaskin, Petro, Shatty, Allen, with Fabbri and Barbashev in the wings to build around. I'd sort of like to see the philosophy change. The teams that have beat us the last 4-5 years have all been faster than us. We're too busy skating in mud and trying to hit everything that moves instead of flying around, creating, and cashing in on chances that come from that. Something needs to change for sure.

For now, I'll be off in a dark corner crying and singing emo songs.

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

dmiles2186 wrote:This is what's going to answer the, 'How can we pay Tarasenko?' question. Backes, Oshie (he's top on my list to ship out), Bouwmeester, Ott, Goc, etc. will all be gone, most likely. Jackman? Maybe.

I would keep Steen, because even though he's only scored 6 playoff goals, he's scored them 2 of them in OT, so that at least adds some value. Plus, he's pretty great for us throughout the entire season in all his roles.

Anyone that blames Allen for this series loss is pretty crazy.

I'm just so deflated. This sort of feel like the rebuild that started after 05-06 just reached it's conclusion and it was a failure. I remember dreaming in '08 or '09 of having a Cup within 5 years. That didn't end up being the case.

The bonus is that the roster still has a young/great core in Senko, Schwartz, Jaskin, Petro, Shatty, Allen, with Fabbri and Barbashev in the wings to build around. I'd sort of like to see the philosophy change. The teams that have beat us the last 4-5 years have all been faster than us. We're too busy skating in mud and trying to hit everything that moves instead of flying around, creating, and cashing in on chances that come from that. Something needs to change for sure.

For now, I'll be off in a dark corner crying and singing emo songs.

Ding ding! This team is slow. That's the problem. They compensate by trying to slow everyone else down by hitting, but that takes guys out of the play. Other teams seem to always get odd man rushes while we're chasing them down trying to keep up. Hitchcock wanted them to work on speed during the offseason. Obviously that didn't happen. If we're not chasing after Minnesota all series and getting beaten to the puck in both ends, this series ends much differently. They killed us with speed, that's it.