2014-2015 Post Mortem

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: 2014-2015 Post Mortem

Post by cprice12 »

Stillman isn't really saying anything on KMOX right now, other than "I'm sure there will be changes."

He wouldn't comment on specific players performance or on Hitch's job status.

He stated that they share in the disappointment that the fans have right now.

So in other words...he said nothing. Kind of a wasted interview.

I appreciate him saying that they are disappointed, but we kind of knew that already.
LETS GO BLUES RADIO
LIVE weekly broadcasts on YouTube & http://www.LetsGoBlues.com/radio!
Twitter: https://twitter.com/curtprice
Lets Go Blues Radio Twitter: https://twitter.com/lgbradio
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cprice12/
Lets Go Blues Radio Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lgbradio/

ecbm
All-Star
All-Star

Post by ecbm »

ViPeRx007 wrote:
goon attack wrote:2 wins... 15 wins... both are losers.

Trade Backes, Oshie, and Steen... then watch them win a Cup with teams with a better supporting cast.

I'm all for adding a few badass pieces, but a few extra badass pieces will enhance what we do have already. You don't just scrap the whole damn roster because some marginal second liners are miscast as first liners. It's obvious that Backes and Oshie are second liners AT BEST. Steen is a solid second liner.

Tarasenko is the only true stud on this team. The only one.

Hitchcock should be canned for sticking with PUSSIES on D. Lindbohm and Bortuzzo should have been out there. It would have made a HUGE difference. We are ice dancing around while the refs largely had their whistles in their pockets. I'm sick of this "OMG DON'T TAKE A PENALTY OR YOU'RE GOING TO HELL!" bullshit in the playoffs. We could have beat the living crap out of these pansies but we were playing with pansies ourselves and we were playing scared. Backes, were he true leader, would have led the way on the ice, (Frank) with Hitchcock says. That's a true leader.

send a few guys packing, yes... scrap the whole team? Ain't gonna, and shouldn't, happen.
Well, you already have Stewart and Leopold, recent castoffs from our team, who are moving on to the next round and we're making tee times again. Halak is holding his own in a resurgent season for the Isles....
You forgot Kris Russell piloting that powerhouse up in Calgary to the second round.

not_a_wings_fan
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by not_a_wings_fan »

I said weeks ago it was time to dump hitch, I am still there. He's a fantastic coach, but his voice has gotten stale here and he's gone as far as this group is going to go. It's time for a different voice and a different plan.

I also indicated that I would be in favor of moving several of the players who have been through this entire rebuild. Jackman, Backes, Oshie, and Bergs are high on that list. They are great players, but the results they have produced indicate that it's time for something different. We need a new captain, and you don't take it off a guy and leave him on the roster.

The change in the core started with moving Perron, and that helped some. I think there will be similar improvements moving more of those pieces, I just don't know which ones need to go because I am not in the room with the guys.

This playoffs was unacceptable. Totally unacceptable. Changes need to be made.

I can't fault Allen not being pulled after one goal. I would have started Elliot rather than pulled Allen after the first goal, but that's water under the bridge now.
Official 2008-2015 LGB Sponsor of Barret Jackman

Misc. Blues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Misc. Blues »

If Halak and Bishop lose I might just have to laugh at this point.

Blues goalies not getting out of the first round this year...
Allen check
Elliot check
Miller check
Bishop probably check
Halak probably check

This curse is strong...
2016-2017 official sponsor of Alex Pietrangelo (aka Captain Pie)
2015-2016 official sponsor of Jori Lehtera (aka Yorry)
2014-2015 official sponsor of Jay Bouwmeester (aka Jay-bo)
I hate the Shitcago "Black Holes"©®™...they really suck that much...
The Detoilet "dude bangs" ©®™... suck too...repeatedly and more often... ;)

ViPeRx007
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by ViPeRx007 »

ecbm wrote:
ViPeRx007 wrote:

Trade Backes, Oshie, and Steen... then watch them win a Cup with teams with a better supporting cast.

I'm all for adding a few badass pieces, but a few extra badass pieces will enhance what we do have already. You don't just scrap the whole damn roster because some marginal second liners are miscast as first liners. It's obvious that Backes and Oshie are second liners AT BEST. Steen is a solid second liner.

Hitchcock should be canned for sticking with PUSSIES on D. Lindbohm and Bortuzzo should have been out there. It would have made a HUGE difference. We are ice dancing around while the refs largely had their whistles in their pockets. I'm sick of this "OMG DON'T TAKE A PENALTY OR YOU'RE GOING TO HELL!" bullshit in the playoffs. We could have beat the living crap out of these pansies but we were playing with pansies ourselves and we were playing scared. Backes, were he true leader, would have led the way on the ice, (Frank) with Hitchcock says. That's a true leader.

send a few guys packing, yes... scrap the whole team? Ain't gonna, and shouldn't, happen.
Well, you already have Stewart and Leopold, recent castoffs from our team, who are moving on to the next round and we're making tee times again. Halak is holding his own in a resurgent season for the Isles....
You forgot Kris Russell piloting that powerhouse up in Calgary to the second round.
Oh yea, him too...ugh. :facepalm:
2015-2016 Official LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz (IR) & The Hockey Gods
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of T.J. Oshie
2013-2014 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Ryan Reaves
2011-2012 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

ecbm wrote:
ViPeRx007 wrote:

If you watch the handshake video on NHL.com, you can see Chris Stewart skate right up to Leopold afterwards and say something to him that makes Leopold smile and chuckle a bit.

Guarantee it was something to the effect of "Wasn't that awesome that we got off that worthless sinking ship?!"

And he's not wrong. Like the list we just gave, almost every player and coach we dump ends up playing way better elsewhere. I'm starting to feel like our organization and leadership is freakin worse than the Maple Leafs for Christ's sake.

Being a Blues fan is officially embarrassing. I'm really glad people that get paid a lot more money than I do to figure out this team because I can't do it. Maybe it's part speed and part offensive deficiency but for as talented as this team is this SHOULD NOT be happening. It shouldn't.

Yea the Wild are a tough opponent, so was Chicago and L.A. Those last two were uniquely bad draws. But the Wild were no worse or better than the always-good talent level of ANY playoff team. And we still didn't beat them and looked just as bad doing it.

Whatever the "it" factor is that is required for a team to dig deep and expect to win and close out games and playoff series is entirely and utterly absent with the group of players on this roster with only a few exceptions.
Official 2021-2022 LGB Sponsor of Torey Krug
Official 2021 LGB Sponsor of Brayden Schenn
Official 2018-2019 LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2018 LGB Playoff Challenge Champ
Official 2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
Official 2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Scottie Upshall
Official 2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

Hitchcock WAS a good coach. He was a good coach in the clutch and grab and trap and defense-defense-defense era. Same as Torts. Both won Cups because their style fit the generation. Neither adapted to this era. It's why Torts was canned from the Rangers and the Canucks and why Hitch shouldn't return. This era is about speed and puck control, not about hitting everything that moves and losing one of your five on the play as the puck pops out and the other team gets a 2 or 3 on 1. It's evident in the shift of 4th lines around the league that everyone is expected to contribute something on the offense and your top line, specifically, is expected to dictate the flow of play. How often was the STL line the only one playing 100% out there? The rest of the team expected them to pick up the offensive slack. Meanwhile I think 12 or 13 different guys scored for Minnesota while Tarasenko had just under 50% of the total goals scored by the Blues in the 6 games. If we were saying balanced scoring was one of our strengths, it sure as shit didn't show. We've been deluding ourselves into believing balance was one of our biggest assets. Defense is obviously still important, but it's not the primary focus anymore. It's also why the eastern conference will be seeing a resurgence real soon.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

If Hitchcock is still the coach of this team by the end of the week I would be shocked.

When you have a talented team but don't win, that points to one things: leadership. Coach first. Player leadership second.

I truly like Backes but I seriously wonder how he is in the locker room/on the bench to pull his guys up. Because he's not really doing it by example by making extraordinary plays when his team needs it the most.

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

WaukeeBlues wrote:If Hitchcock is still the coach of this team by the end of the week I would be shocked.

When you have a talented team but don't win, that points to one things: leadership. Coach first. Player leadership second.

I truly like Backes but I seriously wonder how he is in the locker room/on the bench to pull his guys up. Because he's not really doing it by example by making extraordinary plays when his team needs it the most.
Murray, Payne and Hitchcock all failed with the same core. I'd actually say this is the lingering effect of the way Murray treated the kids when they were all coming up. He screwed up Perron but good for his career, and he may have done permanent damage to the others as well. If so, that's a psychological thing and they all need to get the eff over it. He's not their coach anymore, hasn't been in a good while, and never will be again.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

tjk002
2nd Line Scorer
2nd Line Scorer

Post by tjk002 »

glen a richter wrote:
WaukeeBlues wrote:If Hitchcock is still the coach of this team by the end of the week I would be shocked.

Murray, Payne and Hitchcock all failed with the same core. I'd actually say this is the lingering effect of the way Murray treated the kids when they were all coming up. He screwed up Perron but good for his career, and he may have done permanent damage to the others as well. If so, that's a psychological thing and they all need to get the eff over it. He's not their coach anymore, hasn't been in a good while, and never will be again.
Don't think you can compare Murray as having the same group. Oshie and Berglund under Murray were flat out drunks. All they did was party. Team was a ton younger than too with no experience.

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

tjk002 wrote:
glen a richter wrote:

Don't think you can compare Murray as having the same group. Oshie and Berglund under Murray were flat out drunks. All they did was party. Team was a ton younger than too with no experience.
Maybe they should go back to drinking. We won a playoff series back then.

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

Soda pressing.
https://twitter.com/allsmandrew/status/593071320469909505

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

ecbm
All-Star
All-Star

Post by ecbm »

Just sayin': if I were still in STL, I would absolutely have a season ticket. No doubt.

If Hitch were going to be the coach next season, I would not renew it.