Western Conf. Finals: Chicago Blackhawks v. Anaheim Ducks

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

Portland Blues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Re: Western Conf. Finals: Chicago Blackhawks v. Anaheim Duck

Post by Portland Blues »

Fradi wrote:Exactly! You need 16 wins to get the Stanley. How many we needed to win the division again? SC is overrated
Indeed! The Cup Finals are for the two teams that couldn't get it done in the "real" season. :wink:

Fradi
4th Line Mucker
4th Line Mucker

Post by Fradi »

Yea, it's almost the same as the loser point :-)
2015-16 Sponsor of a true hero: Steve Ott

Oaklandblue
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Oaklandblue »

Fradi wrote:Exactly! You need 16 wins to get the Stanley. How many we needed to win the division again? SC is overrated
Getting your name on an 120+ year old Championship Chalice is many things, overrated is absolutely not one of them.
2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Alexander Steen
2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Jaromir Jagr, Calgary Flames
2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Brian Elliott, Calgary Flames
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Ryan "Turn that leaf on the wind into a shrimp on the bar-bee" Reaves
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Obviously Not Steve Ott
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Steve "Chirps-A-Lot" Ott
2015 LGB Supporter of the New York Rangers
2014-2015 LGB Sponsor of Patrik "No-Timer" Berglund
2013-2014 LGB Sponsor of Derek "In The Middle" Roy
2012-2013 LGB Sponsor of Chris "NO SLEEP TIL THE CUP!" Stewart - Shhhhh!!!

STLADOGG
All-Star
All-Star

Post by STLADOGG »

Oaklandblue wrote:
Getting your name on an 120+ year old Championship Chalice is many things, overrated is absolutely not one of them.
I was wondering when the first person wouldn't get the joke lol. Ding ding, we have a winner! Must be your dumb picture of the Rags...
Official Stalker of Paul "Speedy Gonzalez" Kariya
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
TW Tiger Woods TW

Fradi
4th Line Mucker
4th Line Mucker

Post by Fradi »

Oaklandblue wrote:
Obvious joke, dont take it seriously :)
2015-16 Sponsor of a true hero: Steve Ott

Oaklandblue
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Oaklandblue »

STLADOGG wrote:I was wondering when the first person wouldn't get the joke lol. Ding ding, we have a winner! Must be your dumb picture of the Rags...
That Ding Ding is the sound I am hearing with my head inside that dumb 90's Stanley Cup.

Why are you so butthurt about a Blues fan cheering on a team from the EAST? I do so to be totally sarcastic, IF YOU GET THAT JOKE. Who coached the Rags team that won that Cup? If you get it, you get MY JOKE, cause yall obviously MISSED IT. :lol:
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Ryan "Turn that leaf on the wind into a shrimp on the bar-bee" Reaves

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

Oaklandblue wrote:
STLADOGG wrote:I was wondering when the first person wouldn't get the joke lol. Ding ding, we have a winner! Must be your dumb picture of the Rags...
That Ding Ding is the sound I am hearing with my head inside that dumb 90's Stanley Cup.

Why are you so butthurt about a Blues fan cheering on a team from the EAST? I do so to be totally sarcastic, IF YOU GET THAT JOKE. Who coached the Rags team that won that Cup? If you get it, you get MY JOKE, cause yall obviously MISSED IT. :lol:
That team would have won with any coach. These things happen when you import the Edmonton Oilers. The Rangers have three legitimate Cups and one they purchased. Besides, they were under the pressure to buy a team for the Rangers because the Knicks did so good in 1994. Had they won against Houston, it would have been absolute mayhem in these parts that summer. Realistically, the Rangers should have lost and the Knicks should have won were it not for John Starks forgetting how to hit the basket.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

STLADOGG
All-Star
All-Star

Post by STLADOGG »

Oaklandblue wrote:

I am rooting HARD for the Lightning and have been since the 1st round. The Rangers are my problem not the East. (Frank) the Rags.
Official Stalker of Paul "Speedy Gonzalez" Kariya
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
TW Tiger Woods TW

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

Although I married one, and most of my family is Ranger fans, I have always found most Ranger fans, in general, to be very obnoxious and not overly knowledgeable about the game. They think way too highly of their team, like they're Gods gift to hockey, yet the have one championship in the last 75 years which was won largely with a team of imported former Oilers and Blackhawks from their respective glory(ish) years. These are the same dim bulbs who rag on the Islanders fans who, by the way, have the same number of Cups in significantly less time of existence. And they beat extremely good teams to win them. Given the choice, under duress, of rooting for the Rangers or the Islanders, I'd pick the Islanders every time and twice on Sunday.

I don't take issue with the eastern conference. I take issue with the Rangers, the Red Wings and the Penguins. I'd be cool if any other EC team won the Cup, if it wasn't the Blues which obviously it won't be. And for what it's worth, I don't take nearly as much issue with Detroit as I did when they were in the WC. I still don't want to see them win a Cup ever again, but I don't have the same level of loathing as I did when we were actual rivals.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

Kerfuffle wrote:
dmiles2186 wrote:
Kerfuffle wrote:Gotta love playoff hockey
Not when the Hawks are making runs to the SCF.

I never get into the anti-thing with putting all my energies and passion into wanting another team to lose. I think it's enough work rooting for my own team to win. If I had to vest my time and energy into rooting against several teams each year it would be even more exhausting.
I live in Central/Southern Illinois. Not 'South' like Springfield. 'South' like 4 hours south of Chicago with 3 hours still to reach the Southern tip o' the state.

That being said, I live amongst a lot of Hawks fans, most of whom didn't follow the Hawks until, shockingly, within the last few years. And thus, the reason I want the Hawks to lose so badly is so I don't have to be reminded over and over that, yes, my favorite hockey team doesn't have a Cup and they've got like eleventy billion gagillion!

You said you have no interest after your team is out. I typically don't either, but I always watch the Finals. It makes it equally hard when the Hawks are in it every other year. That and they typically have a great chance to win it, only highlighting more just how much my team sucks.

That's a long answer, but you get the point.

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

Kerfuffle
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by Kerfuffle »

dmiles2186 wrote: That being said, I live amongst a lot of Hawks fans, most of whom didn't follow the Hawks until, shockingly, within the last few years. And thus, the reason I want the Hawks to lose so badly is so I don't have to be reminded over and over that, yes, my favorite hockey team doesn't have a Cup and they've got like eleventy billion gagillion!

You said you have no interest after your team is out. I typically don't either, but I always watch the Finals. It makes it equally hard when the Hawks are in it every other year. That and they typically have a great chance to win it, only highlighting more just how much my team sucks.

There's definitely a bandwagon - but it happens with every team, not just the Hawks. When the Kings won last year we had about 200 new users join for the SCF and stayed on the board through the parade and most of the summer. Then they went away. Same thing with the Hawks - everyone jumps on when they're winning and most tail away after the hoopla has died down. In the end, the true fans stick it out.

Several of my facebook friends who couldn't stand hockey are suddently 'die-hard' Hawks fans although a quick conversation shows the ignorance - one guy told me we need to have shootouts in the playoffs to avoid those long OTs. Workers in the office are suddenly wearing jerseys but when I'm in the elevator with them and ask a question it's obvious they have no idea to who the name is on the back of the jersey or what position they play.

At our parade in 2010 the media interviewed some 'fan' along the parade route who said he didn't know any of the names of the players but that he wanted to be here today because he's a 'huge fan'. As a true fan I cringe with this stuff but I know it's par for the course. If the Blues win a cup you guys will see this as well.

Oaklandblue
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Oaklandblue »

Kerfuffle wrote:
dmiles2186 wrote: That being said, I live amongst a lot of Hawks fans, most of whom didn't follow the Hawks until, shockingly, within the last few years. And thus, the reason I want the Hawks to lose so badly is so I don't have to be reminded over and over that, yes, my favorite hockey team doesn't have a Cup and they've got like eleventy billion gagillion!

There's definitely a bandwagon - but it happens with every team, not just the Hawks. When the Kings won last year we had about 200 new users join for the SCF and stayed on the board through the parade and most of the summer. Then they went away. Same thing with the Hawks - everyone jumps on when they're winning and most tail away after the hoopla has died down. In the end, the true fans stick it out.

Several of my facebook friends who couldn't stand hockey are suddently 'die-hard' Hawks fans although a quick conversation shows the ignorance - one guy told me we need to have shootouts in the playoffs to avoid those long OTs. Workers in the office are suddenly wearing jerseys but when I'm in the elevator with them and ask a question it's obvious they have no idea to who the name is on the back of the jersey or what position they play.

At our parade in 2010 the media interviewed some 'fan' along the parade route who said he didn't know any of the names of the players but that he wanted to be here today because he's a 'huge fan'. As a true fan I cringe with this stuff but I know it's par for the course. If the Blues win a cup you guys will see this as well.
That guy Tarasenko is a hell of a goalie, man!

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

Kerfuffle wrote:

I didn't say there wouldn't be a Blues bandwagon, clearly there will. There always is for any team in any sport. It's how it works. I live in a town of 2900 people. When I was in high school, I was the only person that routinely wore a hockey jersey or hockey shirts. I was the only kid in my town playing street hockey (besides my sister who was the Oates to my Hull). Flash forward to the last few years and all of the sudden, several of the people I grew up with are Hawks fans and being as cocky as can be.

It's the people that I know personally that annoy me the most. A bandwagon fan is one thing. A bandwagon fan who didn't follow the sport until a team got really good and then brag and chide without acknowledging the past is another. And that's what these people are.

That said, I'm a Cardinals fan and obviously those BFIB (Best Fans in Baseball) take that to another level, so I'm on the other side of it there. It annoys me either way.

I know the Hawks have a knowledgeable fan base at it's core, but there definitely are those out there that give you guys a bad name. I just happen to know some of them. :mrgreen:

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

Kerfuffle wrote:

That's weird to me. That the bandwagon will subside during the season only to pick up once the Hawks are in the cup finals. I guess I naively thought that if the team maintained success (as they have, winning at least 1-3 playoff rounds every year) that they'd kinda stick around. Guess not haha.

Oh, and Stanley Cup parades are an excuse to party. Duh.
Official 2021-2022 LGB Sponsor of Torey Krug
Official 2021 LGB Sponsor of Brayden Schenn
Official 2018-2019 LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2018 LGB Playoff Challenge Champ
Official 2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
Official 2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Scottie Upshall
Official 2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk

Kerfuffle
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by Kerfuffle »

WaukeeBlues wrote: That's weird to me. That the bandwagon will subside during the season only to pick up once the Hawks are in the cup finals. I guess I naively thought that if the team maintained success (as they have, winning at least 1-3 playoff rounds every year) that they'd kinda stick around. Guess not haha.

Oh, and Stanley Cup parades are an excuse to party. Duh.
The bandwagon doesn't care or even know what a regular season is. They only come alive during the playoffs and it increases each round. It's at a high now obviously. People that laughed at me for having season tickets 7 years ago are now suddenly 'die hards' and asking me if I have any extra playoff tickets and to keep them in mind. Yes I know this is a good problem to have cause it means my team is in it but it's the downside of winning and having to put up with these goofs. We had it in 2005 with the White Sox and obviously in the 90s with the Chicago Bulls. The bandwagoners just change jerseys.