Hitchcock Re-signs for 1 Year

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Re: Hitchcock Resigns for 1 Year

Post by glen a richter »

Ken Hitchcock's coaching style, 2015-2016... change you can believe in?
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

Portland Blues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Portland Blues »

:cup:

Someone had to post it. :P

Also, when I read the thread title I read it as "resign = quit" rather than "re-sign = I'm back bitches!1!!!11!"

Now I'm very disappointed to see it was the former.

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

Portland Blues wrote::cup:

Also, when I read the thread title I read it as "resign = quit" rather than "re-sign = I'm back bitches!1!!!11!"

Indeed, the grammar on this bored is atrocious. :doh:

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

glen a richter wrote:Well since there won't be a change in coaching personnel there better be a change in player personnel.
This is our only hope.

Timothy Leif, Jr...please step to the front of the line.

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

Toasted Oates
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by Toasted Oates »

ecbm wrote:
dmiles2186 wrote:I mentioned this in another thread, forget which one: every team that's beaten us the last few years have been quicker than us. They skate around our slow, plodding, checking style. Still not happy Hitch is back but at least they recognize this.
https://twitter.com/jprutherford/status/603294207231533057
Frankly, what a crock of shit. Next season will be his 20th as an NHL coach. He's going to change now, fundamentally? And if so, what is the point of retaining him? If you want a fresh new style, why not bring in a fresh new coach...you know, who won't have to be paid a stupid salary and maybe hasn't completely lost the room?
Great post. Sums up my thoughts just about perfectly. All that speed talk was more lip service from the most intense bromance in hockey. I bet 91 is jumping out of his skin to sign an extension. 17 too.

What a frickin' mess. But hey, this is Saint Louis Blues Hockey. At least they never fail to meet our expectations.
2016-2017 LGB sponsor of your boy, goaltender Jake Allen and a center for Vladi Tarasenko (UPDATE: FOUND! Ryan O' Reilly. July 1, 2018).
2017-2018 LGB sponsor of a damn fine rearguard, Capt. Alex Pietrangelo.
2018-2019 LGB sponsor of the 2nd greatest Joel in Blues history, #6 Joel "Eddy" Edmundson.

Oaklandblue
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Oaklandblue »

How the Ken Hitchcock Era will be remembered:

The Quebec Bleus begin play next week...
2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Alexander Steen
2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Jaromir Jagr, Calgary Flames
2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Brian Elliott, Calgary Flames
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Ryan "Turn that leaf on the wind into a shrimp on the bar-bee" Reaves
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Obviously Not Steve Ott
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Steve "Chirps-A-Lot" Ott
2015 LGB Supporter of the New York Rangers
2014-2015 LGB Sponsor of Patrik "No-Timer" Berglund
2013-2014 LGB Sponsor of Derek "In The Middle" Roy
2012-2013 LGB Sponsor of Chris "NO SLEEP TIL THE CUP!" Stewart - Shhhhh!!!

flyingnote38
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by flyingnote38 »

not to pick nits, but don't you mean the latter?
2016-7 sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2017-8 sponsor of Tage Thompson
2018-9 sponsor of Ryan O'Reilly
2019-20 sponsor of old time hockey
2020-21 sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2021-22 sponsor of Pavel Buchnevich
2022-23 sponsor of Brayden Schenn
2023-24 sponsor of Justin Faulk

flyingnote38
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by flyingnote38 »

very disappointed so far this offseason
cannot believe the entire coaching staff is being retained
cannot believe the entire front office is being retained
cannot believe the front office and coaching staff are just now realizing that speed matters
cannot believe ownership thinks the current front office and coaching staff are the right people to fix this team
cannot believe ownership thinks the fans should think this as well

short of significantly changing and upgrading the NHL roster while simultaneously shedding cap in the midst of a buyers market, we seems pretty unlikely and even more so with Armstrong as the GM, we can write this teams obit for next season today. Only question is who we lose to in the first round.
2016-7 sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2017-8 sponsor of Tage Thompson
2018-9 sponsor of Ryan O'Reilly
2019-20 sponsor of old time hockey
2020-21 sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2021-22 sponsor of Pavel Buchnevich
2022-23 sponsor of Brayden Schenn
2023-24 sponsor of Justin Faulk

Portland Blues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Portland Blues »

flyingnote38 wrote:

not to pick nits, but don't you mean the latter?
Damn it, what I was really hoping was he quit. :grin:

Portland Blues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Portland Blues »

Wow, just read Armstrong & Hitch's comments on the STL Today article. The sky is apparently a different color in their world.

:facepalm:

goon attack
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by goon attack »

I'm ok with this. Who else should we get to coach? I actually like what the 'cock said about being faster and reckless. This is probably his last hurrah and he may just say "f*** it" and go out guns blazing. I'm bucking the trend here and predicting that we'll see the Blues sipping beer out of the prized chalice come next year. My optimism almost annoys even myself... but I ain't giving up! Buck up, pansies! LET'S GO BLUES!
Official 2023-'24 Sponsor of: Dua Lipa, Craig Berube, and yoga pants

'22-'23: Kim Wexler; '21-'22: Slayyyter; '21: fat chicks and covid-19; '19-'20: Taco Bell's Spicy Tostada (discontinued); '18-'19: Bhad Bhabie; '17-'18 Pitbull.'16-'17: Donald J. Trump, Black Lives Matter, and Karlie Kloss; '15-'16: the Hadids; '14-'15: $17.8+ trillion U.S. national debt; '13-'14: another season of bitter disappointment; '13: communism; '11-'12: Vlad Sobotka and fake, drunken lesbianism; '10-'11: Ryan Reaves, Bo Derek's cans, Willow Palin, and the new Lightning logo; '09-'10: the epic destruction of the Politics Forum; '08-'09: Sandy Miller

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

STLToday wrote:(Hitchcock)...We have to put the work in in the regular season and when we do that, when we start clicking some of those fence posts, making the playoffs, winning the division, winning the Western Conference and the Presidents Trophy, that will get us to the Stanley Cup playoffs. There's a lot of work that needs to be done up to that point."

Hitchcock said one thing that would have to change for next season is the team would have to be faster. He said that the four fastest teams in the league are the ones still playing. He thinks that can be done with the players currently on the roster. Armstrong said some roster change is inevitable after this season and conversations are gradually starting between the Blues and other teams as more and more teams have become part of the postseason.
So Armstrong says change is inevitable. Hitchcock thinks the current roster is fine. And winning the division, the conference, the President's trophy, and making the playoff (per Hitch) are more important than winning in the playoffs.

Got it. :doh:

Winning the division, conference, and President's Trophy are nice, but so f'in what if you aren't winning in the playoffs. Work on building a winning playoff team, not just a division/conference/President's Trophy team. They are not necessarily the same thing.
Official LGB sponsor of Robert Thomas 2022-2023 Season

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

flyingnote38 wrote:very disappointed so far this offseason
cannot believe the entire coaching staff is being retained
cannot believe the entire front office is being retained
cannot believe the front office and coaching staff are just now realizing that speed matters
cannot believe ownership thinks the current front office and coaching staff are the right people to fix this team
cannot believe ownership thinks the fans should think this as well

short of significantly changing and upgrading the NHL roster while simultaneously shedding cap in the midst of a buyers market, we seems pretty unlikely and even more so with Armstrong as the GM, we can write this teams obit for next season today. Only question is who we lose to in the first round.
I do NOT understand the love affair that ownership/presidents apparently have for this team. I don't get it.

"But we have good people."

Who gives a (Frank)? You're being paid to win. And for three seasons there's been the expectation from fans and the team alike that we should be competing for a Stanley Cup or, at the very least, be able to get out of the first (Franking) round?

I hate to say it but until this team gets outright swept in the first round or fails to make the playoffs entirely, ownership/presidents are going to apparently keep jerking off to pictures of Army, Hitchcock, Oshie, Berglund, etc.
Official 2021-2022 LGB Sponsor of Torey Krug
Official 2021 LGB Sponsor of Brayden Schenn
Official 2018-2019 LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2018 LGB Playoff Challenge Champ
Official 2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
Official 2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Scottie Upshall
Official 2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk

Nyghtewynd
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by Nyghtewynd »

goon attack wrote:I'm ok with this. Who else should we get to coach? I actually like what the 'cock said about being faster and reckless. This is probably his last hurrah and he may just say "f*** it" and go out guns blazing. I'm bucking the trend here and predicting that we'll see the Blues sipping beer out of the prized chalice come next year. My optimism almost annoys even myself... but I ain't giving up! Buck up, pansies! LET'S GO BLUES!
Sadly, there is no reason to believe that Hitch is telling the truth.

Nothing's going to change. And no one should pay for it.
dhabums wrote:You and your buddies here are a joke and most of this site knows it.
Sponsor of Having A Real Good Time, Happy Pony, and all those who suffer from being right all the time.

ecbm
All-Star
All-Star

Post by ecbm »

dmiles2186 wrote:
glen a richter wrote:Well since there won't be a change in coaching personnel there better be a change in player personnel.
This is our only hope.

Sorry to disappoint you guys:
Armstrong said he wouldn't break up the core group that's been in place for several seasons, including captain David Backes, T.J. Oshie, Alex Pietrangelo and Patrik Berglund, just to make a change.

"There is value if we get better players in return," Armstrong said. "No trade is better than a poor trade. We're going to explore improving our team, but it has to make sense."
goon attack wrote:Who else should we get to coach?
Babcock, Bylsma, Carlyle, De Boer, Julien?, Dave Lowry, MacLean, McClellan, Adam Oates, even f'in Muller, basically anyone who isn't Hitchcock since he obviously has not worked out. Would you keep a clearly ineffective and very highly paid employee because an improvement on him isn't standing right in front of you? It's a fallacious argument. Clearly, you don't think he's ineffective. I'll ask: on what do you base that? Part of my judgment that he's ineffective is the assumption that there is someone out there who is a better fit for this club right now. Before you ask-if I knew, for sure, who that would be I wouldn't trapped in a f'ing cubicle.
WaukeeBlues wrote:"But we have good people."
Agree with your point-this club has way too much "old boys club" to it. This line here reminds me of Alec Baldwin berating Ed Harris in Glengarry Glen Ross:
You see this watch? You see this watch?...That watch costs more than your car. I made $970,000 last year. How much'd you make? You see pal, that's who I am, and you're nothing. Nice guy? I don't give a shit. Good father? (Frank) you! Go home and play with your kids. You wanna work here - close! You think this is abuse?...You can't take this, how can you take the abuse you get on a sit? You don't like it, leave. I can go out there tonight with the materials you've got and make myself $15,000. Tonight! In two hours! Can you? Can YOU?
Which brings me to my final point: I also think more and more that this club has a subtly concealed yellow streak a mile wide. Another part of the problem.

Kerfuffle
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by Kerfuffle »

Seems more and more apparent that the main problem is the front office. The whole 'loyalty' thing is one we did for decades and winning was secondary. It took the owner to die for his son to come in and clean house and that turned us around. Clearly keeping Hitch is a signal for more of the same. I'll go on record now - you guys will win the division next year then get wiped out in the first round again.

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

Hey guys, didn't you know?!

It's a successful business model to have no other plan than to "TRY HARDER"

RIGHT!?!?!!??!!

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

ecbm wrote:
dmiles2186 wrote:
This is our only hope.

Sorry to disappoint you guys:
Armstrong said he wouldn't break up the core group that's been in place for several seasons, including captain David Backes, T.J. Oshie, Alex Pietrangelo and Patrik Berglund, just to make a change.

"There is value if we get better players in return," Armstrong said. "No trade is better than a poor trade. We're going to explore improving our team, but it has to make sense."
What a (Franking) moron.

There's not one damn thing that's going to change before the start of next season. We'll do some negligible signings but I'll go on record we don't trade anyone involving our top six forwards or top 4 defensemen or any goaltending.

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

Were he made available, I would hire Dave Lowry in a second. There are plenty of guys available. All will be unavailable next season. Then what? Hitch gets another one year contract because no viable coaching candidates are unemployed? Maybe we can hire Mike Kitchen, or Davis Payne. Both of them have coaching experience. Oh, wait.

I'm disgusted by this teams lack of committment to winning. I'm also disgusted that every time I come on here now I have to look at the flipping Rangers logo on Oakland's posts. I guess I should move this into the bitching thread?

Kerfuffle
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by Kerfuffle »

I agree with you guys - Armstrong appears content that the make-up of the team is correct and they just ran into bad luck and need to try harder.