Stanley Cup Finals: Chicago Blackhawks v Tampa Bay Lightning

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Stanley Cup Finals: Chicago Blackhawks v Tampa Bay Light

Post by cprice12 »

Kerfuffle wrote:
theohall wrote:
big d note wrote:Eddie sucks and is biased. Take off the Hawk-colored glasses.

Thanks, Big D.
I just listened to the whole thing - twice. I suggest you do the same cause your posts on this have been full of emotion and devoid of fact.

FACTS
#1 - At no time does Eddie praise Seabrook for the hit, compliment him for the hit, criticize Backes, nor does he ever call it a 'clean hit', He called the play as it was which is unbiased and the role of the analyst.
#2 - There is no 'cmon Eddie' with the other announcers scolding Eddie for bias as you suggested earlier.
#3 - Eddie clearly says 'Backes is in distress' - heck yeah he was. Where is the bias with that?
#4 - Eddie and the other guys say it looks like Seabrook did not leave his feet - true - the video supports that. Eddie says "it looks like the right skate is on the ice" - again true and the video supports that. Then Eddie says "now we need to look at the positioning of the forearm and contact to the head" and the crew agrees that Seabrook needs to be in control there and was not.
Please.

Eddie defending the hit, making claims multiple times that there was no penalty called on the play AND trying to overly stress and proclaim that his skate was still barely on the ice, him not mentioning that the head was the principal point of contact and not even commenting on that fact after it was mentioned by the others as the most obvious and serious part of it, and with Seabrook's elbow being down and the rest of the hit was clean (according to Eddie) he says all we have to do is look at the elbow and where it is at...and since it was down he would deem it a clean hit...which is ridiculous.

It's obvious he is trying to spin the hit into a clean hit and not a dirty one...sorry. He INSTANTLY went into "defend the hit" mode instead of criticizing the hit...which the other two guys did right away...and anyone with a set of working eyes would do the same.

That is something I would expect a hometown announcer to do on a local broadcast...as homerism is rampant there, and it should be (to a point anyway)...I'm not criticizing that really. But this was a national broadcast...and to say he didn't display a blatant bias there is just flat out wrong. It's so obvious. It's like he was just doing the local Chicago broadcast when analyzing that hit. His job is to be an analyst...and he failed miserably analyzing that hit.
LETS GO BLUES RADIO
LIVE weekly broadcasts on YouTube & http://www.LetsGoBlues.com/radio!
Twitter: https://twitter.com/curtprice
Lets Go Blues Radio Twitter: https://twitter.com/lgbradio
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cprice12/
Lets Go Blues Radio Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lgbradio/

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

ecbm wrote:
dmiles2186 wrote:
Kerfuffle wrote:Just sold my game 6 tickets for $2200ea. Face I paid was $185ea. Here's the dilemma - tell me what you would have done:

Option 1: Sell now, with series tied 2-2 at $2200ea.
Option 2: Wait to see if Hawks win game 5 first which would make game 6 a clincher at home and drive the price up to around $3500ea. Downside is that if Hawks lose game 5 then game 6 tickets would drop to around $1300ea.

So I could have $2200 as the sure thing now, or do the risky thing and try for $3500 knowing that it could be $1300. I decided on taking the $2200 - bird in the hand. That will pay for 16 games next year for me. Wife and I still may use the profits from this to get SRO tickets to game 6 ONLY if Hawks win game 5. What would you do?
I'm not much of a risk taker, so I'd take the bona fide money now and worst case scenario, put the money on tickets for a potential clincher. If the Hawks lose game 5, then I just sit tight on the money and use them for season tickets next year. It's sort of the no lose situation, in my mind. (I should note, I'm doing this in the mindset of a Hawks season ticket holder, someone who has already seen two Cups in their life time. If it were the Blues and I had tickets to a potential Cup clinching game? I'm holding onto them and even if the price goes down because they lose Game 5, I wouldn't care. Just the possibility of being at a potential Cup clincher would be okay with me)
Yeah, I'll second that pretty much completely.

Nice little bit of business there.
I'd have sold them early as well.
I'm not big on paying a lot for tickets...nor do I go to a ton of games. I'll go to a handful of games each year and I almost always buy the tickets from seatgeek and get them less than face value or take advantage of a special deal or something.
I'll usually try to go to a playoff game or two as well.

Honestly, I really enjoy watching on my 60" plasma in my basement. I usually watch on the DVR on a little delay because I usually don't start watching until after I put my kids to bed...so I can skip commercials and the intermissions. If all I had to watch the games was a 13" black and white tv, then yeah...I'd go to a lot more games...but it's pretty kick ass watching the game in the man cave. Beer & food is cheaper too. :) But like I said...I do go to a handful of games because the atmosphere is pretty awesome...and you can't get that on tv.
LETS GO BLUES RADIO

Kerfuffle
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by Kerfuffle »

My wife is chewing me out for selling our game 6 tickets. I want to go too but there is no guarantee the Hawks win game 6 and I'd rather have the money cause I have to pay the remaining 75% this July on my invoice for next year's season tickets. SRO minimum price is $1100 now - will be lower closer to game time I think and maybe just maybe I'll pick up a pair using the profits I made.

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

I don't see any way the Hawks don't win one of these next two games. They're going to win another (Franking) Stanley Cup and I get to vomit all over again.

Assuming they do so I don't think there is much more argument left that they're a dynasty. With only two it's hard to announce. Three in 6? Yea...

Oh well.
Official 2021-2022 LGB Sponsor of Torey Krug
Official 2021 LGB Sponsor of Brayden Schenn
Official 2018-2019 LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2018 LGB Playoff Challenge Champ
Official 2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
Official 2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Scottie Upshall
Official 2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

Kerfuffle wrote:My wife is chewing me out for selling our game 6 tickets. I want to go too but there is no guarantee the Hawks win game 6 and I'd rather have the money cause I have to pay the remaining 75% this July on my invoice for next year's season tickets. SRO minimum price is $1100 now - will be lower closer to game time I think and maybe just maybe I'll pick up a pair using the profits I made.
Down to 800 this morning, man.

https://seatgeek.com/stanley-cup-finals ... l/2577360/

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

Still two games to play, gentlemen. The Lightning aren't out yet and the Hawks aren't champs yet.

Lightning is taking this in 7.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

Kerfuffle
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by Kerfuffle »

dmiles2186 wrote: Down to 800 this morning, man.

https://seatgeek.com/stanley-cup-finals ... l/2577360/
Yep I'm watching it closely - was $1060 for SRO Sunday around 5pm. SRO tickets always decrease - it just depends on where the bottom hits.

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

WaukeeBlues wrote:I don't see any way the Hawks don't win one of these next two games. They're going to win another (Franking) Stanley Cup and I get to vomit all over again.

Assuming they do so I don't think there is much more argument left that they're a dynasty. With only two it's hard to announce. Three in 6? Yea...

Oh well.
I do. 1) Ben Bishop doesn't try to help when Victor friggin' Hedman is the D-man coming back. 2) Ben Bishop doesn't idiotically kick a puck back into the middle of the crease which would easily have been recovered by one of three Lightning players around him had he not kicked it.

2 mistakes. 2 goals. A 2-1 loss. The difference right now - the Lightning aren't capitalizing on the myriad of mistakes the Hawks are making in their own end (yes, the Idiot MacGuire claimed the Hawks don't make mistakes often which was immediately followed by 2 Hawks turnovers and 2 great Lightning scoring chances) AND Crawford is playing outstanding.

All it takes for the Lightning 1) Eliminate the stupid plays in their own end. 2) Finish on more than one of the Hawks mistakes.

Every game has been a 1-goal game. Saying the Hawks are definitely winning?? Very questionable considering how tight all theses games have been.
Official LGB sponsor of Robert Thomas 2022-2023 Season

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

As much as I hate the Hawks, and their 3rd Stanley Cup in 6 years seems a given, this is beyond heartbreaking.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/ho ... tml#page=1
Walk through the main floor of Jill and Stan Mikita's home in the western suburbs and you will see very little evidence that the man who owns it was one of the greatest players the sport of hockey ever has known.

Other than a portrait of the Blackhawks legend and an autographed photo of Mikita and lifelong friend Bobby Hull on the family room wall, there are few mementos indicating that it is the home of someone whose statue stands outside the United Center.

"Stan always said he didn't need things on the wall or plaques on the shelves because he had his memories," Jill Mikita says.

Now, those memories are gone.

Stan Mikita has been diagnosed with suspected dementia with Lewy body, a brain disorder that can strip those with it of memory, cause hallucinations, sleep disorders and often, though not in Mikita's case, Parkinson's disease. His decline has been steep and sudden.

While the Hawks battle the Lightning in the Stanley Cup Final, a man who has been associated with the team for 59 years and still is employed as an ambassador, is unaware it is happening. Since January, Mikita has spent his days and nights in a Chicago-area facility, walking up to five miles a day and eating up a storm. At 75, his body is sound. His brain is not.

"His mind is completely gone," Jill, Stan's wife of 52 years, says while sitting on the sun porch as one of her grandsons fishes in the pond out back. "I don't like to use that term but there's no other way to describe it."

So while other legendary Hawks players and ambassadors, including Denis Savard, Bobby Hull and Tony Esposito, have been on hand to witness the Hawks' third Stanley Cup Final series in six seasons, Mikita has not experienced the same joy.

"You know what? He doesn't know he's missing out, he has no idea," Jill Mikita says. "If he was terminally ill and his mind was intact then I think I would be heartbroken. But right now, he has no idea."

Stan Mikita spent all of his 22 years in the NHL with the Hawks and is the franchise's all-time leading scorer with 1,467 points and is second to Hull in goals with 541. The native of Sokolce, Czechoslovakia, won the Hart Trophy as the NHL's most valuable player in 1967 and 1968, the Art Ross Trophy as the league's leading scorer in 1964, 1965, 1967 and 1968 and also captured the Lady Byng Trophy for gentlemanly play in 1967 and 1968, making him the only player in league history to win the Triple Crown of awards in the same season — and he did it twice. The center was inducted into the Hockey Hall of Fame in 1983.

There were signs in recent years that something was amiss. Mikita would forget where he left his car keys or cell phone. He once got lost driving home from Medinah Country Club, a trek he had made many times. But it was in September of last year when Jill Mikita and daughter Jane said the forgetfulness increased.

"The hardest thing was in the beginning," Jill says. "You saw him slipping away. Every day you would see him and there would be less and less in his eyes. They were just going dead."

Stan attended and skated at the Hawks' annual Christmas party Dec. 17 and a week later he was with Jill at their winter home in Florida when she "noticed a pretty sharp decline."

Jane traveled to Florida and the three of them came back to Chicago. On Jan. 15, he had a cat scan and later after a dinner of cabbage rolls, Stan stood up, put his hat and coat on "and that's when it hit," Jill says. "It was just bang, that was the end, the absolute end. And he never has come back from it."

It would be easy to point the finger at Mikita's years in the NHL when he played with both grace and grittiness as the cause of the dementia. The league has been hit with lawsuits from former players and the estates of deceased players alleging it didn't inform them of the dangers of repeated concussions and the possibility they would cause CTE, chronic traumatic encephalopathy.

But the Mikita family said they won't make that leap considering other factors could have been involved, including a brain aneurysm Mikita suffered in 1999 and radiation treatments in 2010 to treat tongue cancer.

"There is no proof of anything," Jill Mikita says. "We have no intentions to sue, none whatsoever. I don't think there's anybody to blame. It's just the way it is."

Then she pauses and says quietly, "if I could change places with him I'd do it in a heartbeat."

A few years back, Stan Mikita let it be known that upon his death he wanted his brain donated for research and the family will abide by that. Whatever the results, including whether or not it's discovered he had CTE, the family doesn't plan to change its mind about any litigation.

"If he does have CTE, who cares? It's not going to change anything," Jane Mikita says. "He played a sport and a game that he loved and that provided us as a family with a wonderful upbringing. Hockey was good to Stan and Stan was good to hockey. There is no finger to be pointed. He knew what he was doing lacing up those skates every time he got on the ice."

Mikita was among the first players in the NHL to wear a helmet, first donning one after nearly having his right ear torn off by a shot off the stick of teammate Doug Mohns during a game against the Penguins in 1968.

The next game, Mikita took the ice with a protective cup stuffed with foam rubber taped to the ear and wearing a helmet.

"After that, we sat down and we were talking and he said, 'Why do we put a helmet on after we get an injury? Why don't we wear it before we get the injury?,'" Jill Mikita says. "And that's when he started working on designing his own helmet. And he wore a helmet from that time on."

It is those types of memories that Stan Mikita never again will have himself. He is unable to dress himself and often has to have help eating, but by all accounts is happy and physically healthy.

"Whatever world he is in, he's content," Jane Mikita says.

Stan is visited every day by his wife and family and frequently by friends, including Savard, Hull, Esposito and others. Former teammates and opponents call often. Among those are former Hawks defenseman and current Sharks general manager Doug Wilson, former teammate Ab McDonald and longtime Rangers and Penguins player Vic Hadfield.

The visits aren't easy because other than rare and fleeting moments of recognition, he is not close to the same exuberant Stan Mikita who used to light up a room just by walking into it.

"It was really hard to see him that way," Savard says. "Knowing Stan all these years and just to see him the way he is now is really heartbreaking. When I see him, I don't see him unhappy because I don't think he knows what's going on and that way it kind of comforts me somewhat."

It is hardest on the family as they see their husband, father and grandfather as a man now devoid of memories, experiencing hallucinations and sleepless nights. Basically, nothing like the man he used to be.

The Mikitas wanted their story told because, "people should know it's OK to ask us about it," Jane says. "It's not like it's some big taboo subject. We're not the only ones going through this. And if we're able to give a description of what he's going through and there is someone else out there who needs help, that's how my dad was. He always wanted to help someone else."

At the same time, seeing Stan in his current state is the most difficult thing they could have imagined.

"We've been mourning him so when he actually goes, which could be six months or it could be 10 years, we're more ready," Jane says. "I'm not going to lie to you, I pray every day that he goes because this is no quality of life. There is no dignity. And I don't say that lightly. Knowing my dad, he never would have wanted this."

With sadness in her eyes, perhaps Jill describes it best.

"The Stan we knew is gone," she says. "Completely gone."

ckuc@tribpub.com

Twitter @ChrisKuc

Copyright © 2015, Chicago Tribune

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

Jill Mikita is awesome the way she is handling all of this.
Official LGB sponsor of Robert Thomas 2022-2023 Season

ComradeT
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by ComradeT »

Kucherov hooked on a breakaway. No call. Should've been a penalty shot. Go figure.
2018 - 2019 Official sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
2017 - 2018 Official sponsor of Joel "Top Shelf" Edmundson
2016 - 2017 Official sponsor of Nail "THE YAK" Yakupov

Krigloch the Furious
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Krigloch the Furious »

Frustrating

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Toasted Oates
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by Toasted Oates »

It's interesting (and trust me, I couldn't do any better) how the scorer gets the puck on his stick on that 2 on 1. I'd turn my back on Richards and wrap Kane in a warm embrace before I let him have any say on that odd man rush.
2016-2017 LGB sponsor of your boy, goaltender Jake Allen and a center for Vladi Tarasenko (UPDATE: FOUND! Ryan O' Reilly. July 1, 2018).
2017-2018 LGB sponsor of a damn fine rearguard, Capt. Alex Pietrangelo.
2018-2019 LGB sponsor of the 2nd greatest Joel in Blues history, #6 Joel "Eddy" Edmundson.

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

Tampa missed about 3 open nets tonight. Didn't score when they needed to. Hawks did.

I REALLY hope this is the end of it and the salary cap does a better and more long term job against this team than they did in 2010. Happy for Kimmo to see him hoist the cup and classy by Toews to have him be the first hand off.

Beyond that I just want to vomit. Again.
Official 2021-2022 LGB Sponsor of Torey Krug
Official 2021 LGB Sponsor of Brayden Schenn
Official 2018-2019 LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2018 LGB Playoff Challenge Champ
Official 2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
Official 2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Scottie Upshall
Official 2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

This has felt inevitable for weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

STLADOGG
All-Star
All-Star

Post by STLADOGG »

Congrats Keruffle, you and a select few like Ruutu deserve this.
The rest of you "fans" can go (Frank) yourselves.

Sent from Hell
Official Stalker of Paul "Speedy Gonzalez" Kariya
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
TW Tiger Woods TW

Kerfuffle
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by Kerfuffle »

Just got home - yeah it was fun. I'm 43 so I didn't stay and party with the inebriated outside - but we walked around a bit and did high fives and then I was ready to go. I hope when the schedule comes out next week that our 2 teams have a weekend day game so I can take my kids down to St. Louis for a game next season - would love to say hi to some people here.

Portland Blues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Portland Blues »

STLADOGG wrote:Congrats Keruffle, you and a select few like Ruutu deserve this.
The rest of you "fans" can go (Frank) yourselves.

Sent from Hell
:plusplus:

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

Well...I can't say I'm shocked.
It's what the Blackhawks do.

Kind of sick of it. :?
LETS GO BLUES RADIO

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

I'm not so much upset that Chicago won... these things happen. I am bothered that while we're all wallowing in fits of anger at Chicago winning that the scumbag we all know of as JNE is probably dancing in the streets at this moment. At least we don't have to hear about it firsthand.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024