GDT #13: 11/4/15 | 7:00PM CST | @ Blackhawks | NBCSN/KMOX

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

Krigloch the Furious
All-Star
All-Star

Re: GDT #13: 11/4/15 | 7:00PM CST | @ Blackhawks | NBCSN/KMO

Post by Krigloch the Furious »

game was butt-ass crazy
I turned it off only to see it was tied after my rally shower. Watched the 3rd and OT.
They looked bad in the 3rd for the most part.
Even the OT wasnt very pretty. Tarasenko was wide open though

drwoland
All-Star
All-Star

Post by drwoland »

Wednesday Night Clusterf#ck.

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

Wow.
What a crazy game. :aaaa:
It was fun to have this game be the first one that our podcast immediately aired after it was over.
A whole bunch of good stuff to talk about.
We had a couple listeners join us as well.
LETS GO BLUES RADIO
LIVE weekly broadcasts on YouTube & http://www.LetsGoBlues.com/radio!
Twitter: https://twitter.com/curtprice
Lets Go Blues Radio Twitter: https://twitter.com/lgbradio
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cprice12/
Lets Go Blues Radio Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lgbradio/

Oaklandblue
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Oaklandblue »

Down some of our top guys, down on the scoreboard and on the ice and yet we find a way to win. *looks in the rearview* Yup, that corner is wayyy behind us. If this game was play some trash periods and still win, then keep it up! :D
2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Alexander Steen
2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Jaromir Jagr, Calgary Flames
2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Brian Elliott, Calgary Flames
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Ryan "Turn that leaf on the wind into a shrimp on the bar-bee" Reaves
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Obviously Not Steve Ott
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Steve "Chirps-A-Lot" Ott
2015 LGB Supporter of the New York Rangers
2014-2015 LGB Sponsor of Patrik "No-Timer" Berglund
2013-2014 LGB Sponsor of Derek "In The Middle" Roy
2012-2013 LGB Sponsor of Chris "NO SLEEP TIL THE CUP!" Stewart - Shhhhh!!!

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

I shut it off at 5-2, decided I had some things to do for work and I didn't want to doubly torture myself. Even after shutting off the game, my thing is to follow the score on the phone even though I'm not watching for a reason and suffice to say at 5-5 the wheels start turning in my head that something good is happening. So I followed the 3rd on nhl.com and saw they were being grossly outshot which to me meant they were being grossly outplayed. My natural inclination was to turn the game back on for OT, but every single time I get my hopes up and do that, inevitably the other team scores. So I resisted all urges to watch the rest of the game which is why they won.

You're welcome.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

dmiles2186 wrote:
Winning Unlimited wrote:I missed the first period, started when the Blues were down 5-3. WTF happened in the first? Did Elliott let in some softies?
He let in everything, including a penalty shot goal. Gave up a juicy rebound at one point that the Hawks converted into a goal. It was just a mess. So much so that at one point Hitch pulled Ells, put in Allen, the put Ells back in...basically a de facto timeout without taking a time out.
I was watching on NBCSN and the commentators were saying you might see more of this from coaches who want to "get a timeout" without having to call a timeout. Gets the game slowed down, can yell some things at your players as your goalies SLOWLY change places and the new guy stretches...

Gamesmanship for sure. Not sure what, if anything, the NHL can do to combat it but if I was on the other side I'd be pissed if my team was riding a wave of momentum and the opposing coach is flipping his goalie every 37 seconds.

As for the game itself: just wow. Yea that 3rd period was ugly which took some of the "Ra-Ra" feeling out of me but nonetheless an epic comeback. Not quite up there with the Maple Leafs comeback in 2000(?) but pretty cool.
Official 2021-2022 LGB Sponsor of Torey Krug
Official 2021 LGB Sponsor of Brayden Schenn
Official 2018-2019 LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2018 LGB Playoff Challenge Champ
Official 2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
Official 2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Scottie Upshall
Official 2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

Same thing they can do about constantly changing pitchers in the late innings of games, or what they already do in the NFL about injured players notbeing able to play the next drive (or something like that). If you have to do a substitution of a player whom, for whatever reason would not normally be substituted (i.e. goalies don't go off on line changes) then he can't go back in for either the remainder of the period or the totality of the next period if the change is taking place towards the latter part of the period. Hitch basically pulled a Mike Keenan last night. Limiting the number of times you can change players will prevent this, just like limiting the number of pitcher changes you can make in one inning or limiting the number of plays a football player can make if he's sustained an on the field "injury" for the sole purpose of buying an extra time out. If Elliott was playing like garbage, put Allen in to stay. If Elliott was genuinely injured, as he appeared to be the second time he came out, then Allen would stay in anyway. Putting in Allen for 41 seconds only to re-replace him with an obviously ineffective Elliott was moronic. I would say that barring an actual injury as confirmed by league and team training staffs (both teams), if you change goalies in the first half of a period, you lose them for the rest of the period. If you change goalies in the second half of a period you lose them for the rest of that period plus the first half of the next period.

abc789987
All-Star
All-Star

Post by abc789987 »

dmiles2186 wrote:Today is the day that #RoarBacon became a thing. Posting in case it becomes the de facto rallying cry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah I saw that and was confused what everyone was talking about... Kinda funny. I can see it becoming a thing.

crazyhorse
3rd Line Grinder
3rd Line Grinder

Post by crazyhorse »

Here's a unique idea for the Blues....don't wait for the 2nd period to play with some quality effort.
2012-2013 official LGB sponsor of Vladimir Sobotka
2013-2014 official LGB sponsor of Ryan Miller
2014-2015 official LGB sponsor of Alexander Steen
2015-2016 official LGB sponsor of Kyle Brodziak
2016-2017 official LGB sponsor of Alexander Steen
2017-2018 official LGB sponsor of Scotty Upshall
2018-2019 official LGB sponsor of Brayden Schenn

ecbm
All-Star
All-Star

Post by ecbm »

glen a richter wrote:Hitch basically pulled a Mike Keenan last night.
What? Did he pull the goalie at the end of the second period? Did he sign Murray Craven during an intermission?

:lol:

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

Due to watching the game slightly delayed on the DVR, I didn't quit at 5-2 after the first, but was thinking about it. I told my lady-friend with the lineup the Blues are icing tonight, there is no way they score 6 goals. Immediately after that is when Eddie spouts the line about "get 1 goal, get a power play, and it's a game again" would likely be the Blues current thinking and damned if that exact thing happened. Allen kept them in it after giving up that one goal. One of his kick saves coming across to take away the backdoor opportunity was awesome.

Had I bothered to look and see what the lines would be last night, I'm not sure I would've even turned the game on.

Parayko is still not 100%, but he is playing way better than vs the Wild. He's favoring his left ankle. It's noticeable whenever he leaves the ice. The screen he set for the Fabbri goal (?) was awesome! While the announcers were busy bragging on Fabbri for getting up ice so quick, they didn't seem to notice the screen was set by the biggest guy on the ice who skated faster and further than Fabbri to set up that screen. Kinda feel for him on the penalty shot thing. He probably should've just not bothered the puck carrier at all and let Elliott handle the shooter while worrying about tying up the guy who demonstrated a perfect example of a legal pick preventing Parayko from getting to the shooter.

as to the rest of this thread (tl;dr) what's the word on Ott. It looked like he broke his wrist or forearm or something.
Official LGB sponsor of Robert Thomas 2022-2023 Season

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

theohall wrote:Due to watching the game slightly delayed on the DVR, I didn't quit at 5-2 after the first, but was thinking about it. I told my lady-friend with the lineup the Blues are icing tonight, there is no way they score 6 goals. Immediately after that is when Eddie spouts the line about "get 1 goal, get a power play, and it's a game again" would likely be the Blues current thinking and damned if that exact thing happened. Allen kept them in it after giving up that one goal. One of his kick saves coming across to take away the backdoor opportunity was awesome.

Had I bothered to look and see what the lines would be last night, I'm not sure I would've even turned the game on.

Parayko is still not 100%, but he is playing way better than vs the Wild. He's favoring his left ankle. It's noticeable whenever he leaves the ice. The screen he set for the Fabbri goal (?) was awesome! While the announcers were busy bragging on Fabbri for getting up ice so quick, they didn't seem to notice the screen was set by the biggest guy on the ice who skated faster and further than Fabbri to set up that screen. Kinda feel for him on the penalty shot thing. He probably should've just not bothered the puck carrier at all and let Elliott handle the shooter while worrying about tying up the guy who demonstrated a perfect example of a legal pick preventing Parayko from getting to the shooter.

as to the rest of this thread (tl;dr) what's the word on Ott. It looked like he broke his wrist or forearm or something.
Ott is listed as questionable for Saturday's game, so it doesn't seem that he broke anything.
LETS GO BLUES RADIO
LIVE weekly broadcasts on YouTube & http://www.LetsGoBlues.com/radio!
Twitter: https://twitter.com/curtprice
Lets Go Blues Radio Twitter: https://twitter.com/lgbradio
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cprice12/
Lets Go Blues Radio Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lgbradio/

drwoland
All-Star
All-Star

Post by drwoland »

xbleed83bluex
2nd Line Scorer
2nd Line Scorer

Post by xbleed83bluex »

I noticed most of the Blues goals (except for Tarasenko's) were ugly goals from lucky bounces. This is what happens when you keep taking shots to the net. To beat a great goalie like Crawford, you have to rely on some ugly fortunate bounces going in that he has no chance on.

Also, side note, I don't think Elliot is happy here. His head didn't seem to be in the game. And I can't really blame him from his perspective. For the past 4 years he's been in competition with another goalie for the number 1 spot, and he hasn't been given it yet. His first year is understandable where he was told he was a backup. Doing it with Halak is one thing, but then he is forced to go through the same routine with a new goalie. I think he feels he's earned a #1 spot at this point and we're just not giving it to him. He can't wait forever. I have little doubt he'll be traded this year, sans the off chance he is given the permanent #1 spot.
Official 2011-'12 sponsor of the hot chick from the FSMW Blues commercials.

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

xbleed83bluex wrote:I noticed most of the Blues goals (except for Tarasenko's) were ugly goals from lucky bounces. This is what happens when you keep taking shots to the net. To beat a great goalie like Crawford, you have to rely on some ugly fortunate bounces going in that he has no chance on.

Also, side note, I don't think Elliot is happy here. His head didn't seem to be in the game. And I can't really blame him from his perspective. For the past 4 years he's been in competition with another goalie for the number 1 spot, and he hasn't been given it yet. His first year is understandable where he was told he was a backup. Doing it with Halak is one thing, but then he is forced to go through the same routine with a new goalie. I think he feels he's earned a #1 spot at this point and we're just not giving it to him. He can't wait forever. I have little doubt he'll be traded this year, sans the off chance he is given the permanent #1 spot.
I think the events which transpired last night more or less solidified the reality that Allen is going to be given the #1 reign if he hasn't already. As far as Elliott being traded it may be he gets packaged with Gunnarsson towards the deadline and the new backup is either some random pick up free agent or they decide to go with Copley or Binnington in the interim.

That said, has anyone seen what Husso is up to so far this year? Looks like he's having a breakout season. Allen may well not be the #1 for all that long if Husso comes over next year .

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

glen a richter wrote:
xbleed83bluex wrote:I noticed most of the Blues goals (except for Tarasenko's) were ugly goals from lucky bounces. This is what happens when you keep taking shots to the net. To beat a great goalie like Crawford, you have to rely on some ugly fortunate bounces going in that he has no chance on.

I think the events which transpired last night more or less solidified the reality that Allen is going to be given the #1 reign if he hasn't already. As far as Elliott being traded it may be he gets packaged with Gunnarsson towards the deadline and the new backup is either some random pick up free agent or they decide to go with Copley or Binnington in the interim.

That said, has anyone seen what Husso is up to so far this year? Looks like he's having a breakout season. Allen may well not be the #1 for all that long if Husso comes over next year .
Speaking of Ells, saw this on Twitter last night and thought it was interesting.
https://twitter.com/CoreyHirsch/status/662118011965345792 https://twitter.com/CoreyHirsch/status/662119992284975108

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

Elliott + Gunnarsson for Yakupov. Done. There are, I'm sure, a plethora of goalies who have gone unsigned and would gladly take the role of #2 on a playoff bound team.

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

Copley would be fine as a backup.
Official LGB sponsor of Robert Thomas 2022-2023 Season

ViPeRx007
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by ViPeRx007 »

I liked this moment too:

So there is at least one thing Hawks and Blues fans can agree on.
2015-2016 Official LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz (IR) & The Hockey Gods
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of T.J. Oshie
2013-2014 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Ryan Reaves
2011-2012 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko

Oaklandblue
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Oaklandblue »

Trade Brian Elliott? Why not just let him start, Allen backup and leave the position alone? Allen isn't ready, Elliott is the only starter you're got of good quality for what he's being paid. His past record >>while in Blue<< speaks for itself, how do you not just run with this guy and if Allen suddenly catches fire, go with the hot hand?

None of the netminders in the minors are really ready enough to transition to the NHL and what we can get for what we'd trade off for a netminder, we'd do better to just keep what we got. If you're going to trade the position, make sure what we get in return is an improvement for it. Jake is not ready to be a full-on starter or he'd be the starter already. Let's not rush this.

Elliott + Gunnar is not going to get yall as much as you think.
2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Alexander Steen
2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Jaromir Jagr, Calgary Flames
2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Brian Elliott, Calgary Flames
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Ryan "Turn that leaf on the wind into a shrimp on the bar-bee" Reaves
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Obviously Not Steve Ott
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Steve "Chirps-A-Lot" Ott
2015 LGB Supporter of the New York Rangers
2014-2015 LGB Sponsor of Patrik "No-Timer" Berglund
2013-2014 LGB Sponsor of Derek "In The Middle" Roy
2012-2013 LGB Sponsor of Chris "NO SLEEP TIL THE CUP!" Stewart - Shhhhh!!!