GDT #15: 11/10/15 | 6:00PM CST | @ Devils | FSMW/KMOX

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

GDT #15: 11/10/15 | 6:00PM CST | @ Devils | FSMW/KMOX

Post by dmiles2186 »

BLUES (10-3-1) at DEVILS (8-5-1)

TV: FS-MW, MSG+

Season series: St. Louis Blues right wing Vladimir Tarasenko had two goals and one assist and Jake Allen won twice against the New Jersey Devils last season, including a 26-save shutout the last time these teams played at Prudential Center. Jaden Schwartz had a goal and an assist, and Jori Lehtera had two assists for St. Louis. Goalie Cory Schneider started both games for the Devils; he made 44 saves on 48 shots.

Blues team scope: Left wing Martin Havlat will make his St. Louis debut. The 34-year-old who played for New Jersey last season signed a one-year contract last Friday after a 10-day stint with the Blues on a professional tryout. "He's up to speed physically, mentally and now technically," coach Ken Hitchcock said. "We spent the weekend with him going over the systems of play. … I thought he looked just like a normal hockey player [Monday at practice] so that's why we're going to put him in." Allen, making a career-high 45 saves in the Blues' 4-0 victory at the Nashville Predators on Saturday, will start in goal. Hitchcock said left wing Steve Ott, who sustained an upper-body injury in a victory against the Chicago Blackhawks on Nov. 4, did not accompany the team on this brief two-game trip and is considered day-to-day. He will miss at least the next two games.

Devils team scope: New Jersey, which has won eight of 10 games after an 0-3-1 start, took the day off Monday following a 4-3 overtime victory Sunday against the Vancouver Canucks. Forward Kyle Palmieri scored the game-winner for the Devils. There will be no supplemental discipline on defenseman Adam Larsson stemming from a major penalty for interference assessed in the win against the Canucks, according to Northjersey.com. After goalie Keith Kinkaid defeated Vancouver on Sunday, expect Schneider to start. The Devils will be in search of their fourth straight home victory after starting the season 1-3-1 at Prudential Center. "Let's hope we can be good at home and on the road." left wing Mike Cammalleri told Northjersey.com.
The New Jersey Devils' longest home win streak last season lasted just four games and didn't reach its climax until their 30th contest at Prudential Center in late February.

Playing only their ninth game of this season's home slate, the Devils can match that streak Tuesday night if they can solve Jake Allen and the St. Louis Blues.

New Jersey (8-5-1) has missed the playoffs for three straight seasons and finished seventh in the Metropolitan Division in 2014-15. The club's 46 points in Newark were its fewest in a 41-game home schedule in team history.

The Devils showed few signs of improvement to start this season, losing three straight at home as part of a 0-3-1 overall start. However, they've bounced back by going 8-2-0 with wins in four of five at home, including three straight after Kyle Palmieri scored with 1:27 left in overtime of Sunday's 4-3 win over Vancouver.

"You want to make home ice a tough place to play. That goes a long way in an 82-game season," Palmieri said. "You want teams to know the identity you have."

Palmieri is helping New Jersey carve out that identity, scoring four goals with five assists in the past six games after getting three points during the first eight. He has four points through the first two of this three-game homestand.

The Devils, though, are 1-5-1 in their last seven meetings with the Blues and 1-3-1 over the last five played in New Jersey. They dropped both matchups last season, beating Allen on just three of 53 shots.

Allen made 26 saves in a 1-0 win at Prudential Center on Nov. 4, 2014, and he'll reportedly get the nod again. He's won five of his last six starts overall with a 1.03 goals-against average and two shutouts.

Allen made a career-high 45 saves in Saturday's 4-0 win at Nashville as St. Louis (10-3-1) got its fifth win in six games. The Blues have 10 goals in their last two, going 3 for 5 on the power play after coming up empty on 21 chances over the previous six games.

"You need to win the special-teams game if you expect to win on the road," coach Ken Hitchcock said.

Special teams is what delivered the club's previous win in New Jersey with Vladimir Tarasenko scoring a power-play goal in the third period. Although the right winger has scored just one of his seven goals this season on the power play, he's collected 11 of his 13 points in eight road games.

Colton Parayko has five goals and five assists, but the rookie defenseman has seven of those points in his past seven. He got his team-leading second power-play goal Saturday.

It's unclear if the Devils will be without defenseman Adam Larsson, who could be facing a suspension from the NHL for his hit on the Canucks' Jared McCann in the third period Sunday. He was assessed a 5-minute major for interference and a game misconduct.

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Re: GDT #15: 11/10/15 | 6:00PM CST | @ Devils | FSMW/KMOX

Post by glen a richter »

I could watch this game, but I work late on Tuesdays... :facepalm:

Blues 3
Devils 2
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

11-10-15_devils.jpg
11-10-15_devils.jpg (124.6 KiB) Viewed 2820 times
LETS GO BLUES RADIO
LIVE weekly broadcasts on YouTube & http://www.LetsGoBlues.com/radio!
Twitter: https://twitter.com/curtprice
Lets Go Blues Radio Twitter: https://twitter.com/lgbradio
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cprice12/
Lets Go Blues Radio Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lgbradio/

ecbm
All-Star
All-Star

Post by ecbm »

Devils are hot right now. Let's see if the Snake and the Tank can slow them down.

3-2 Blues in OT

Steen gets the winning goal when another Parayko howitzer bounces off his leg/ass/stick and into the net.

And Curt-you must know the Devils have no fans. I'm pretty sure the average attendance is about 23 if they're not playing the Rangers or Flyers...

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

I'm surprised at how well the Devils are playing. Schneider is good, he'll be a lot tougher to beat than Corey Crawford or Pekka Rinne.

Robb_K
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Robb_K »

Great pass by Gomez and Havlat scores on his first shot for The Blues!!!! 1-0 lead after playing poorly in The 1st!!!

Robb_K
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Robb_K »

The Blues DID think they just needed to step out on the ice to beat The Devils. Then they got surprised by their speed. Luckily, they didn't give up a goal in The 1st. Now they're playing really well.

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

One thing to definitely like about the Devils is that kid they have in Albany who paid homage to David Putty with his mask.

Robb_K
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Robb_K »

Paajarvi scores!!!! After Pietrangelo fails to bury a great set up! 2-0 Blues!!!

Robb_K
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Robb_K »

The Blues got some good chances on that PP, but no luck. But, now they've got another PP opportunity.

Robb_K
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Robb_K »

Good that Allen got the shutout. He played great again tonight. Blues played a good game after The First.

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

We all kind of moaned how there weren't many changes in the offseason, but on Havlat's goal, I found it funny that it was Parayko passing off the wall to Brouwer, who passed to Gomez, who passed to Havlat for the goal. 4 of the 5 guys involved in that goal weren't with the team 6 months ago. Well, technically Parayko was in the organ-EYE-zation, but you know what I mean.

Allen has been out of his mind the last two weeks. Shutouts against the Lightning, Preds, and Devils. He just appears to be in command right now and once again, it looks like Elliott is getting left in a lurch. Clearly, Allen is going to need to prove this over time, but he's put in some jaw dropping performances as of late.

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

dmiles2186 wrote:We all kind of moaned how there weren't many changes in the offseason, but on Havlat's goal, I found it funny that it was Parayko passing off the wall to Brouwer, who passed to Gomez, who passed to Havlat for the goal. 4 of the 5 guys involved in that goal weren't with the team 6 months ago. Well, technically Parayko was in the organ-EYE-zation, but you know what I mean.
If you would've told me four months ago that the Blues would score a goal in the regular season in November from Havlat with assists from Gomez and Parayko... My first reaction would probably something like "What the F*$#% happened?!" haha.
Allen has been out of his mind the last two weeks. Shutouts against the Lightning, Preds, and Devils. He just appears to be in command right now and once again, it looks like Elliott is getting left in a lurch. Clearly, Allen is going to need to prove this over time, but he's put in some jaw dropping performances as of late.
Nobody in the organization has said it or will say it, but this is Allen's team and the plan all along has been to phase Elliott out while setting up Allen to be the starter, and I think that was the plan from day 1.

When Allen got the nod to start the playoffs last year I think that was the sign that this is his team and while Elliott is around to be a fail-safe and help the kid along, it was never a serious thought that Elliott would be the guy. Which is kind've of a raw deal for Elliott but he'll be back to UFA soon enough and get a chance with another team.
Official 2021-2022 LGB Sponsor of Torey Krug
Official 2021 LGB Sponsor of Brayden Schenn
Official 2018-2019 LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2018 LGB Playoff Challenge Champ
Official 2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
Official 2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Scottie Upshall
Official 2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk

crazyhorse
3rd Line Grinder
3rd Line Grinder

Post by crazyhorse »

Another lackluster 1st period, but hey, loved the other 2. If they could play 1st periods like the other 2, wow! With Jake stopping everything...wow!
2012-2013 official LGB sponsor of Vladimir Sobotka
2013-2014 official LGB sponsor of Ryan Miller
2014-2015 official LGB sponsor of Alexander Steen
2015-2016 official LGB sponsor of Kyle Brodziak
2016-2017 official LGB sponsor of Alexander Steen
2017-2018 official LGB sponsor of Scotty Upshall
2018-2019 official LGB sponsor of Brayden Schenn

ecbm
All-Star
All-Star

Post by ecbm »

dmiles2186 wrote:We all kind of moaned how there weren't many changes in the offseason, but on Havlat's goal, I found it funny that it was Parayko passing off the wall
Well that's really the change that has happened, and I can credit Hitchcock as he talked about it himself: the forwards and D are closer together. The forwards aren't spending much time beyond the goal line and the D are being allowed/encouraged to jump up deep more. It's certainly benefited Parayko; it strikes me that it may help that he never played under Hitchcock before this season.

Now that I've praised Hitchcock: I'm going to the game tomorrow and if he doesn't start Allen I'm probably going to have be removed from the building by security...

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

dmiles2186 wrote:We all kind of moaned how there weren't many changes in the offseason, but on Havlat's goal, I found it funny that it was Parayko passing off the wall to Brouwer, who passed to Gomez, who passed to Havlat for the goal. 4 of the 5 guys involved in that goal weren't with the team 6 months ago. Well, technically Parayko was in the organ-EYE-zation, but you know what I mean.
Ahem...
I do recall pointing out to people (in response to the "our roster is basically the same except for Brouwer" comments) that before the season started we DID make a number of roster moves and changes in philosophy in the offseason.
But because they weren't huge names, nobody seemed to care and blew them off as no moves at all. Even the national media was saying the same thing...which just wasn't true.

- Fabbri, Edmundson & Parayko ...all rookies making the team out of camp.
- Brouwer...acquired by trading Oshie.
- Rattie...on the roster coming out of camp.
- Upshall & Gomez both signed in camp.
- The talk in the offseason about a system change to create more offense.
- Allen might be the #1 goalie at some point this season.

Those changes alone are significant. 7 players were on the roster out of camp that were not on the roster last year (Rattie was for a few games though). I don't know how much more of a turnover people want. That's about a third of the roster...and now add Havlat...granted, once Schwartz and Stastny come back, someone has to sit...but that is a ways away yet.
LETS GO BLUES RADIO
LIVE weekly broadcasts on YouTube & http://www.LetsGoBlues.com/radio!
Twitter: https://twitter.com/curtprice
Lets Go Blues Radio Twitter: https://twitter.com/lgbradio
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cprice12/
Lets Go Blues Radio Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lgbradio/

ComradeT
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by ComradeT »

cprice12 wrote:
Ahem...
I do recall pointing out to people (in response to the "our roster is basically the same except for Brouwer" comments) that before the season started we DID make a number of roster moves and changes in philosophy in the offseason.
But because they weren't huge names, nobody seemed to care and blew them off as no moves at all. Even the national media was saying the same thing...which just wasn't true.

Those changes alone are significant. 7 players were on the roster out of camp that were not on the roster last year (Rattie was for a few games though). I don't know how much more of a turnover people want. That's about a third of the roster...and now add Havlat...granted, once Schwartz and Stastny come back, someone has to sit...but that is a ways away yet.
Reaves and Ott are my candidates.
2018 - 2019 Official sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
2017 - 2018 Official sponsor of Joel "Top Shelf" Edmundson
2016 - 2017 Official sponsor of Nail "THE YAK" Yakupov

ecbm
All-Star
All-Star

Post by ecbm »

ComradeT wrote:Reaves and Ott are my candidates.
Seconded. Loved the Jaskin-Brodziak-Paajarvi combo. That's a 4th line in the NHL in 2015.

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

ecbm wrote:
ComradeT wrote:Reaves and Ott are my candidates.
Seconded. Loved the Jaskin-Brodziak-Paajarvi combo. That's a 4th line in the NHL in 2015.
Thirded. I'm hoping the coaching staff and front office recognizes this.

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

cprice12 wrote:
Ahem...

And none of it matters until the postseason.

None.

When we're down in a game/series this playoff year, especially if it's towards the end of a series one way or the other, I want to see how this team will react. If it's different than the "oh well, we tried" type of $hit I'm so used to seeing then yes, I'll agree that enough changes were made.

But if they collapse like they always do, then no, not enough changes were made.

Nobody expected Parayko to be forcing the coaches to be playing him top 4 minutes this season. We similarly didn't expect the rash of injuries and fighting through adversity which can only toughen this team mentally. It's great to see the new guys leading the charge and I can only hope it keeps up but it's tempered for me.
Official 2021-2022 LGB Sponsor of Torey Krug
Official 2021 LGB Sponsor of Brayden Schenn
Official 2018-2019 LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2018 LGB Playoff Challenge Champ
Official 2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
Official 2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Scottie Upshall
Official 2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk