GDT #49: 1/18/16 | 7:00PM CST | v Penguins | NBCSN/KMOX

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

Robb_K
Hockey God
Hockey God

Re: GDT #49: 1/18/16 | 7:00PM CST | v Penguins | NBCSN/KMOX

Post by Robb_K »

What kind of flimsy sticks are they using now - that split on just a routine pass??? I'll admit that I'm so old I only ever used a pure wood stick, but things are getting ridiculous now. I understand how composites can shatter on a slapper or a hard hit to another stick - but, a routine pass???

Robb_K
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Robb_K »

Brouwer scores!!!! Blues lead 3-2!!!!

Robb_K
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Robb_K »

The Blues can widen their lead on this power play! Let's DO it!!!

Robb_K
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Robb_K »

Man! The Blues are ALREADY trying to sit on that 1-goal lead with over 12 minutes left. BAD strategy. They are just dumping the puck aimlessly to the neutral zone just to ease the pressure. I thought we are a "puck possession" team.

Robb_K
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Robb_K »

Stastny rifles the puck into the net!!! Blues lead 4-2!!!

Robb_K
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Robb_K »

The DREADED 2-goal lead! Can we survive 7 minutes of it???

Robb_K
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Robb_K »

Not only has Stastny scored 3 points, but he's made 3 stellar defensive plays, as well. He's on fire! I hope he keeps it up all the way through the playoffs.

Robb_K
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Robb_K »

Shattenkirk seals it with the empty-netter. Good patience by The Blues to not just flip the puck out of their zone!

Great win!!!

evil roy
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by evil roy »

Robb_K wrote:Not only has Stastny scored 4 points, but he's made 3 stellar defensive plays, as well. He's on fire! I hope he keeps it up all the way through the playoffs.
FTFY
Official 2018-19 LGB Sponsor of Patrick Maroon
Official 2017-18 LGB Sponsor of Robby Fabbri's ACL
Official 2016-17 LGB Sponsor of Paul Stastny
Official 2015-16 LGB sponsor of Alexander (There is no "I" in) Steen

Krigloch the Furious
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Krigloch the Furious »

Elliott, still a badass.
38 shots? Shit's getting old.
Offense looked pretty good at times.

Oaklandblue
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Oaklandblue »

Given that there is now a long-stated pattern, can we once and for all admit that Brian Elliott is the real deal and not just some fly by night like he's been treated?
2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Alexander Steen
2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Jaromir Jagr, Calgary Flames
2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Brian Elliott, Calgary Flames
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Ryan "Turn that leaf on the wind into a shrimp on the bar-bee" Reaves
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Obviously Not Steve Ott
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Steve "Chirps-A-Lot" Ott
2015 LGB Supporter of the New York Rangers
2014-2015 LGB Sponsor of Patrik "No-Timer" Berglund
2013-2014 LGB Sponsor of Derek "In The Middle" Roy
2012-2013 LGB Sponsor of Chris "NO SLEEP TIL THE CUP!" Stewart - Shhhhh!!!

ecbm
All-Star
All-Star

Post by ecbm »

Krigloch the Furious wrote:Elliott, still a badass.
87 shots in 2 games. :shock: Gotta get that under control.
Oaklandblue wrote:Given that there is now a long-stated pattern, can we once and for all admit that Brian Elliott is the real deal and not just some fly by night like he's been treated?
He's a very good goaltender who will get a shot to start again in his career. When he's on, he's brilliant. He just needs to find long-term consistency to be a team's cornerstone. He's far from old for a goalie. I just don't think he has a future in StL due to Allen's emergence and cap constraints. No malice or judgment in it.

gaijin
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by gaijin »

ecbm wrote:
Oaklandblue wrote:Given that there is now a long-stated pattern, can we once and for all admit that Brian Elliott is the real deal and not just some fly by night like he's been treated?
He's a very good goaltender who will get a shot to start again in his career. When he's on, he's brilliant. He just needs to find long-term consistency to be a team's cornerstone. He's far from old for a goalie. I just don't think he has a future in StL due to Allen's emergence and cap constraints. No malice or judgment in it.
I don't think Allen's emergence has been that spectacular. He's been good most of the time, yes, but he's also been bad at other times. I really don't see much difference between his performance and Elliott's performance, to be honest.

But I do think you are right- it's going to be a matter of cap space more than anything else- If Goalie A and Goalie B perform the same, but one costs less than the other...

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

gaijin wrote:
ecbm wrote:
I don't think Allen's emergence has been that spectacular. He's been good most of the time, yes, but he's also been bad at other times. I really don't see much difference between his performance and Elliott's performance, to be honest.

But I do think you are right- it's going to be a matter of cap space more than anything else- If Goalie A and Goalie B perform the same, but one costs less than the other...
I disagree with Allen not being better than Elliott. I do think he has been better for the most part, not that Elliott has been bad. But, more than the money and what they're doing right now, I think Allen is still on an upward trajectory toward his potential. Elliott is very good and I'd be happy with a goalie of his caliber starting for us. I don't think he's going to get better than he already is though.
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2016-2017 Official LGB Sponsor of Dmitri Jaskin
2017-2018 Official LGB Sponsor of Jake Allen

Kreegz2
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Kreegz2 »

Robb_K wrote:What kind of flimsy sticks are they using now - that split on just a routine pass??? I'll admit that I'm so old I only ever used a pure wood stick, but things are getting ridiculous now. I understand how composites can shatter on a slapper or a hard hit to another stick - but, a routine pass???
Whenever you see a stick break on an innocent looking pass/shot, It's likely that it was damaged on a previous shift and developed a weak point. Often the players will notice it and switch out sticks between shifts but sometimes they don't notice and go back out with the weakened stick.
2015-2016 LGB sponsor of Robert Bortuzzo
2014-2015 LGB sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2013-2014 LGB sponsor of Brendan Morrow
2013 LGB sponsor of Jamie Langenbrunner
2011-2012 LGB sponsor of Jamie Langenbrunner
2008-2009 LGB sponsor of David Backes

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

I've said it before... this team's long term plan--whether they say it or not--is to get Husso over here in a few years and he'll be the clear cut #1. Elliott, Allen, Binnington, Copley, Orpilka, these guys are merely holding spaces until Husso is ready. Allen may stick as the backup to him, but I'm more inclined to think it'll be Husso 1, some UFA backup 2.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

goon attack
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by goon attack »

Ok... we get it. You have a broner for Husso.
Official 2023-'24 Sponsor of: Dua Lipa, Craig Berube, and yoga pants

'22-'23: Kim Wexler; '21-'22: Slayyyter; '21: fat chicks and covid-19; '19-'20: Taco Bell's Spicy Tostada (discontinued); '18-'19: Bhad Bhabie; '17-'18 Pitbull.'16-'17: Donald J. Trump, Black Lives Matter, and Karlie Kloss; '15-'16: the Hadids; '14-'15: $17.8+ trillion U.S. national debt; '13-'14: another season of bitter disappointment; '13: communism; '11-'12: Vlad Sobotka and fake, drunken lesbianism; '10-'11: Ryan Reaves, Bo Derek's cans, Willow Palin, and the new Lightning logo; '09-'10: the epic destruction of the Politics Forum; '08-'09: Sandy Miller

The Flake
3rd Line Grinder
3rd Line Grinder

Post by The Flake »

cardsfan04 wrote:
gaijin wrote:
ecbm wrote:

I disagree with Allen not being better than Elliott. I do think he has been better for the most part, not that Elliott has been bad. But, more than the money and what they're doing right now, I think Allen is still on an upward trajectory toward his potential. Elliott is very good and I'd be happy with a goalie of his caliber starting for us. I don't think he's going to get better than he already is though.
Gotta say...I disagree with this assessment of talent. I think Elliott has more talent and has much more experience than Allen...both. When they are both playing at the top of their respective games, I give the nod to Elliott hands down.

I was against the Bishop trade but I could give a crap if Allen is on this team or not. I've said it before, I don't think he has what it takes to be a true number one for a contending team. I hope Ells plays his butt off over the next few games and they have no choice but to give the reigns back to him long term.
Remember,
Amateurs built the ark ....
Professionals built the Titanic

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

I like Ells and all, but I don't trust him long term. Between how much depth this team has at D and the availablity, I'm certain, of a formidable, cheaper #2 as a UFA in the offseason, the time is right to trade ol' Elliott and his contract in the offseason. He does have a 2.5 mil cap hit. If he was the definitive #1, I'd say cool, but he's not. #2's can be found cheaper and the money will be important for renewing more vital contracts like, for example, Jaden Schwartz.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

The Flake
3rd Line Grinder
3rd Line Grinder

Post by The Flake »

glen a richter wrote:I like Ells and all, but I don't trust him long term. Between how much depth this team has at D and the availablity, I'm certain, of a formidable, cheaper #2 as a UFA in the offseason, the time is right to trade ol' Elliott and his contract in the offseason. He does have a 2.5 mil cap hit. If he was the definitive #1, I'd say cool, but he's not. #2's can be found cheaper and the money will be important for renewing more vital contracts like, for example, Jaden Schwartz.
Ol' Ells is 30 yrs old and in his prime if you ask me. Just now hitting his stride as a goalie. His numbers for St. Louis over the last five year stretch have been: .923 Sv% ,2.04 GAA and 21 SO. Name the goalies who have better numbers over that 5 year stretch and have played at least 100 games. I bet you'll be surprised who does and doesn't make the list. Any takers?

Give you a few pcs. of info....Elliott is #5 in Sv%, #1 in GAA and #8 in SO overall in the league using those parameters. Your team is built from the net out and until the Blues can acquire someone name Price, Quick, Lundqvist or Rinne I'd like to pony up please and keep Ol' Ells as long as he'll stay.

They need to shed someone else in order to sign Schwartz.
Remember,
Amateurs built the ark ....
Professionals built the Titanic