Rumor: Scott Hartnell to St. Louis?

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Rumor: Scott Hartnell to St. Louis?

Post by cprice12 »

This is from Eklund...so...grain of salt and all.
According to League Sources, the St. Louis Blues are adding a Scoring Forward, and Scott Hartnell to STL is Very Close/[e4]. The Deal is Reportedly Hartnell for a Pick and Prospect. Stay tuned. STL had prior interest in Hartnell when he was with the Philadelphia Flyers.
LETS GO BLUES RADIO
LIVE weekly broadcasts on YouTube & http://www.LetsGoBlues.com/radio!
Twitter: https://twitter.com/curtprice
Lets Go Blues Radio Twitter: https://twitter.com/lgbradio
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cprice12/
Lets Go Blues Radio Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lgbradio/

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Re: Rumor: Scott Hartnell to St. Louis?

Post by glen a richter »

Not wild about this... I guess it depends on who the prospect is and where the pick is. Late pick, middling prospect, why not?
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

SamJunior
2nd Line Scorer
2nd Line Scorer

Post by SamJunior »

I saw some other rumors from Eklund about the Blues in the recent days.
According to him we are keeping an eye on the Flyers and Sam Gagner. I dunno, the guy struggles to reach the 50 point barrier which is not too impressive from a former 6th overall pick.
Another rumor was about a trade with the Rangers: Shatty for Yandle + high end prospect + pick. I'm kinda worried about Shatty right now. His name is popping up in rumors every other day. Do we really want to get rid of him? I mean, I've read all these speculations about the potential salary cap issues but damn, the guy can be the cornerstone of the Blues defense for the next decade, plus he's able to put up insane offensive numbers for a defenseman. If the return is not a proven - and fairly young - scorer I would say no to any offer for Shatty.
Last edited by SamJunior on Mon Jan 25, 2016 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

Someone texted me about this last night and I wasn't aware it was Eklund 'reporting' it. My first thought was a flat, 'No.' Then I saw Hartnell had 16 goals and realized that would put him in 2nd or 3rd on the team (without looking) and re-thought that stance. I despise Hartnell, but this team needs a shakeup.

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

dmiles2186 wrote:Someone texted me about this last night and I wasn't aware it was Eklund 'reporting' it. My first thought was a flat, 'No.' Then I saw Hartnell had 16 goals and realized that would put him in 2nd or 3rd on the team (without looking) and re-thought that stance. I despise Hartnell, but this team needs a shakeup.
I'm not crazy about the idea of this move, but offensively he would be a slight improvement over a number of players...especially in the playoffs. It's not a sexy move, but it would likely help the team, depending on the move we would make to clear cap space for him.

And as far as playoff performance goes, Hartnell averages .52 ppg, which is light years better than Brouwer (.24 ppg) and a little better than Backes (.45 ppg) and Berglund (.45 ppg).

To put those stats into perspective...
Tarasenko - .85 ppg in the playoffs.
Stastny - .68 ppg
Steen - .45 ppg

I'd take him for a 3rd rd., pic and a prospect that isn't Barbashev or Schmaltz. A Blue Jackets fan suggested a 1st and Barbashev...I laughed...hard.
Columbus would be dumping salary here...they wouldn't be getting anything substantial in return.
LETS GO BLUES RADIO
LIVE weekly broadcasts on YouTube & http://www.LetsGoBlues.com/radio!
Twitter: https://twitter.com/curtprice
Lets Go Blues Radio Twitter: https://twitter.com/lgbradio
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cprice12/
Lets Go Blues Radio Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lgbradio/

ecbm
All-Star
All-Star

Post by ecbm »

cprice12 wrote:I'm not crazy about the idea of this move, but offensively he would be a slight improvement over a number of players
Yeah, not super-exciting but he'd be better than running Brouwer out in the top 6 every night. I guess this would make it clear that Fabbri won't see his TOI increase this season. If this move were made, I'd feel like Backes had one foot out the door. That would have next year's top 6 being:

Tank
Schwartz
Steen
Stastny
Fabbri
Hartnell

Not bad, and cost neutral. We'll see.

Kerfuffle
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by Kerfuffle »

eh - last week Stamkos was coming to St. Louis, now it's Hartnell. Just internet rumors...

gaijin
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by gaijin »

Kerfuffle wrote:eh - last week Stamkos was coming to St. Louis, now it's Hartnell. Just internet rumors...
Troof. To be honest, I'm not that excited about any of the names rumored to be potential trades.

Drouin- diva
Stamkos- too costly, probable rental only
Hartnell- not as much of an offensive upgrade as we need

But then that begs the question- what scorers are actually available and affordable? And which ones are the Blues (remember, this is the Blues) likely to actually pull the trigger on?

I have a sneaking feeling the roster we have now is the roster with which we'll be entering the playoffs (plus Schwartz, of course).

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

Okposo?

goon attack
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by goon attack »

gaijin wrote:
Kerfuffle wrote:eh - last week Stamkos was coming to St. Louis, now it's Hartnell. Just internet rumors...
Troof. To be honest, I'm not that excited about any of the names rumored to be potential trades.

Drouin- diva

But then that begs the question- what scorers are actually available and affordable? And which ones are the Blues (remember, this is the Blues) likely to actually pull the trigger on?

I have a sneaking feeling the roster we have now is the roster with which we'll be entering the playoffs (plus Schwartz, of course).

http://begthequestion.info/
Official 2023-'24 Sponsor of: Dua Lipa, Craig Berube, and yoga pants

'22-'23: Kim Wexler; '21-'22: Slayyyter; '21: fat chicks and covid-19; '19-'20: Taco Bell's Spicy Tostada (discontinued); '18-'19: Bhad Bhabie; '17-'18 Pitbull.'16-'17: Donald J. Trump, Black Lives Matter, and Karlie Kloss; '15-'16: the Hadids; '14-'15: $17.8+ trillion U.S. national debt; '13-'14: another season of bitter disappointment; '13: communism; '11-'12: Vlad Sobotka and fake, drunken lesbianism; '10-'11: Ryan Reaves, Bo Derek's cans, Willow Palin, and the new Lightning logo; '09-'10: the epic destruction of the Politics Forum; '08-'09: Sandy Miller

gaijin
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by gaijin »

goon attack wrote:
gaijin wrote:

Drouin- diva

http://begthequestion.info/
Hey, I never said I was smart. :wink:

Oaklandblue
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Oaklandblue »

If one is going to spend actual resources (Shattenkirk, Stastny, whatever have you) and spend serious cap money, get Stamkos and pay the man. He's the real deal.
2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Alexander Steen
2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Jaromir Jagr, Calgary Flames
2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Brian Elliott, Calgary Flames
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Ryan "Turn that leaf on the wind into a shrimp on the bar-bee" Reaves
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Obviously Not Steve Ott
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Steve "Chirps-A-Lot" Ott
2015 LGB Supporter of the New York Rangers
2014-2015 LGB Sponsor of Patrik "No-Timer" Berglund
2013-2014 LGB Sponsor of Derek "In The Middle" Roy
2012-2013 LGB Sponsor of Chris "NO SLEEP TIL THE CUP!" Stewart - Shhhhh!!!

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

Well Stastny plus Bouwmeester pretty much equals what they'll have to pay Stamkos. This trade, however, will never happen. Yzerman isn't dumb.

Okposo has been mentioned in the past as a guy the Islanders may want to move, and Hamonic will probably be moved too... three way deal between us, the Isles and the Oilers? Working out the details in my head so it's not facebook quality.

ecbm
All-Star
All-Star

Post by ecbm »

glen a richter wrote:Okposo?
Good suggestion. If the Blues are seriously interested in a scoring forward, I'm sure they will have inquired. Wonder what the asking price would be.

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

ecbm wrote:
glen a richter wrote:Okposo?
Good suggestion. If the Blues are seriously interested in a scoring forward, I'm sure they will have inquired. Wonder what the asking price would be.
I'm not really up on the status of the Sound Tigers, but I'd imagine if they're eventually trading Hamonic, they'd want an NHL ready defensive replacement for him. That's in no way suggesting that Bouwmeester for Okposo straight up would get the deal done, but based purely on each players respective salary, this actually sheds about a million off our cap hit. I'd imagine they'd want a defenseman and a prospect or a defenseman and a pick. In any event, Okposo would be a great top 6 on this team. I always liked the kid. When he was injured last season for a little while, the Islanders started playing like shit and I directly correlated the two events. He's a guy who makes things happen out there.

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

As always, the price paid has to make sense. It also makes a lot of sense as to why they'd move Hartnell. He's probably taught their "kid" players all they're going to get from him and he's an older commodity on a team looking to add to defense. They'd probably be interested in a younger D-man in our corps. I could part with Vanelli or Schmaltz to get Hartnell. I wouldn't trade Edmonson or Parayko though. Especially Parayko.

But I would almost guarantee that's the direction they'd be looking to bolster their shelf of young defensemen.

I would gladly add Hartnell. Bit of grit with scoring and, as noted, pretty successful in the playoffs, which is exactly what this team needs.

DO IT LEEEEERYYYY
Official 2021-2022 LGB Sponsor of Torey Krug
Official 2021 LGB Sponsor of Brayden Schenn
Official 2018-2019 LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2018 LGB Playoff Challenge Champ
Official 2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
Official 2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Scottie Upshall
Official 2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

Were it not for injuries, I doubt Edmunson would be getting the ice time he's gotten lately. Right now, he's the weakest link on D.

With Walman, Schmaltz, and Vanelli in the pipeline, Edmunson, Gunnarson, and Bouwmeester should all be up for trade.
Official LGB sponsor of Robert Thomas 2022-2023 Season

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

Edmundson is such a weak link on this team, no one can spell his name right. I wouldn't care one way or the other if they traded him. His skill set is replaceable with Lindbohm and Edmundson has an injury history that Lindbohm doesn't have. As far as Schmaltz and Vannelli (and Dunn and Walman, later on) they're all going to get their fair shot. Vannelli's been stunted a little because he's been injured since the seventh game of the season so it's tough to do a fair assessment, but I think Schmaltz is close and Walman next after him. We're so deep in D, there's so many ways to fashion a trade without doing irreparable damage to the future blueline. If they're looking for cheap young scoring next season (if they spent to the cap and need to fill a roster spot) Samuel Blais should get a look.

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

Good news for D prospects - several of them shoot left which is the issue now - too many righties and not enough lefties.
Official LGB sponsor of Robert Thomas 2022-2023 Season

Robb_K
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Robb_K »

cprice12 wrote:
dmiles2186 wrote:Someone texted me about this last night and I wasn't aware it was Eklund 'reporting' it. My first thought was a flat, 'No.' Then I saw Hartnell had 16 goals and realized that would put him in 2nd or 3rd on the team (without looking) and re-thought that stance. I despise Hartnell, but this team needs a shakeup.
I'm not crazy about the idea of this move, but offensively he would be a slight improvement over a number of players...especially in the playoffs. It's not a sexy move, but it would likely help the team, depending on the move we would make to clear cap space for him.

And as far as playoff performance goes, Hartnell averages .52 ppg, which is light years better than Brouwer (.24 ppg) and a little better than Backes (.45 ppg) and Berglund (.45 ppg).

To put those stats into perspective...
Tarasenko - .85 ppg in the playoffs.
Stastny - .68 ppg
Steen - .45 ppg

I'd take him for a 3rd rd., pic and a prospect that isn't Barbashev or Schmaltz. A Blue Jackets fan suggested a 1st and Barbashev...I laughed...hard.
Columbus would be dumping salary here...they wouldn't be getting anything substantial in return.
I wouldn't give up Dunn and a 3rd for Hartnell (not even mentioning that his current contract is fairly high, considering it extends 3 more years into his late 30s, at a fairly high rate).