GDT #64: 2/27/16 | 2:00PM CST | @ Predators | FSMW/KMOX

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

GDT #64: 2/27/16 | 2:00PM CST | @ Predators | FSMW/KMOX

Post by dmiles2186 »

BLUES (35-19-9) at PREDATORS (30-21-11)

TV: 3 p.m. ET; FS-MW, FS-TN, NHL.TV

Season series: The St. Louis Blues have won four games against the Nashville Predators this season, most recently a 1-0 victory in Nashville on Feb. Jake Allen made a career-high 45 saves in the 4-0 victory Nov. 7. St. Louis won 2-1 on Dec. 17 and 4-3 in overtime Dec. 19 on Alexander Steen's game winner. Steen has two goals and two assists. Shea Weber and Roman Josi each have a goal and assist for Nashville.

Blues team scope: Defenseman Alex Pietrangelo could play, which would be exactly three weeks to the day since sustaining a right knee injury. Pietrangelo, who has missed eight games, practiced the past three days. "He looks fine," coach Ken Hitchcock said. "It's now kind of the player's call when he thinks he's ready. We'll communicate with him on the flight and see when, if he thinks he's ready for one of the games this weekend or both or whatever. We'll know that first thing in the morning for sure, but I think we'll get a better indication by [Friday night]." Jori Lehtera is questionable after he left the first period of a 2-1 loss to the New York Rangers on Thursday after being hit in the face with an inadvertent puck near center ice. Lehtera didn't practice Friday, and Hitchcock said he was sore. Left wing Jaden Schwartz and defenseman Robert Bortuzzo didn't practice. Hitchcock called both maintenance days. The Blues have won five in a row against the Predators dating to last season, outscoring Nashville 11-4 the past four games.

Predators team scope: Weber, who missed the past two games with a lower-body injury, will be a game-time decision. The Predators, who did not skate Friday after a 3-0-0 road trip, signed defenseman Anthony Bitetto to a two-year, $1.225 million contract. "I'm excited," Bitetto told The Tennessean. "It's one of those dream-come-true type moments. It's one of those things in your life you'll always remember. Being part (of) Nashville, they drafted me and you go through all the ranks and now you're finally here. It's something I've always wanted." The Predators have earned points in eight straight games (5-0-3) and return to Bridgestone Arena to begin a three-game homestand. Nashville is 2-3-2 at home this month.
Three straight first-round playoff exits and a season full of injuries could force St. Louis Blues general manager Doug Armstrong to make an upgrade before Monday's trade deadline, but he insists he won't make any rash decisions.

That's because despite numerous setbacks, the Blues are still very much in contention for the Central Division title and believe they're equipped - when healthy - to make a deep playoff run.

St. Louis might begin its four-game road trip without Jori Lehtera as it tries to avoid a third straight defeat by sweeping the five-game season series with the surging Nashville Predators on Saturday.

Alexander Steen, Alex Pietrangelo, Steve Ott and Brian Elliott currently are nursing injuries, and other key players have missed time for the Blues (35-19-9) throughout the season. Lehtera could be added to that list after being hit in the face with the puck in the first period of Thursday's 2-1 home loss to the New York Rangers.

Pietrangelo practiced Friday and could return for this contest or Sunday at Carolina, which is some good news for a team that has fought through the injury problems to sit in third place in the Central, two points back of Chicago and three behind first-place Dallas.

Armstrong said he's exploring the possibility of making a tweak to the injury-plagued roster, but he said that would be the case only if it didn't disrupt the current locker room chemistry.

"My belief is that group in there, I really, truly believe this is the year for us to have success," Armstrong said. "Our best players, they're not looking for assistance from outside. They know the responsibilities lie on their shoulders."

The Blues have dropped back-to-back games in regulation following a five-game winning streak and missed a chance to tie the Blackhawks in the standings after Nashville (30-21-11) won at Chicago 3-1 on Thursday.

St. Louis, though, is seeking a fifth straight road win and has earned at least a point in nine of its last 10 away from home.

"We've faced injuries all year, but we've got the character and the team in here to battle through it and get things done," forward Scottie Upshall said. "It's just another bump in the road, but we'll be all right."

The Blues have won five in a row against the Predators and have outscored them 11-4 in the four meetings in 2015-16. They've also won eight of their last 10 visits to Nashville, including posting shutouts in both matchups there this season.

The Predators have earned at least a point in eight straight. They haven't lost in regulation since falling to Washington on Feb. 9, which is part of a 2-4-2 stretch at home that includes a 1-0 loss to St. Louis on Feb. 2.

They finished off a perfect three-game trip by beating Chicago, though, and are looking to match their season high of four straight wins set last month.

"It was a great road trip," defenseman Roman Josi said. "Three wins and we've been playing well on the road for a while now. Coming back home now, and we want to play the same way at home."

Pekka Rinne made 38 saves and improved to 3-0-1 with a 0.98 goals-against average over his last four. He has a 2.37 GAA while losing all three of his starts against the Blues this season.

The Blues are counting on Jake Allen to step up with Elliott out for at least four weeks. Allen has a 1.72 GAA while winning his last four starts against the Predators, but he's 0-4-1 with a 2.69 GAA in five starts and a relief appearance since Dec. 31.

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

Robb_K
Hockey God
Hockey God

Re: GDT #64: 2/27/16 | 2:00PM CST | @ Predators | FSMW/KMOX

Post by Robb_K »

Stastny should have scored on that point blank shot.

crazyhorse
3rd Line Grinder
3rd Line Grinder

Post by crazyhorse »

These refs are awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2012-2013 official LGB sponsor of Vladimir Sobotka
2013-2014 official LGB sponsor of Ryan Miller
2014-2015 official LGB sponsor of Alexander Steen
2015-2016 official LGB sponsor of Kyle Brodziak
2016-2017 official LGB sponsor of Alexander Steen
2017-2018 official LGB sponsor of Scotty Upshall
2018-2019 official LGB sponsor of Brayden Schenn

Robb_K
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Robb_K »

Not a pretty-looking game by The Blues. I hope Pietrangelo returns for The Blues tomorrow, and that brings them a boost in spirits. I wonder if they will start Copley tomorrow, just because Allen had so much work today?

Portland Blues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Portland Blues »

Had to hit the eject button on this one. Brutal.

:doh:

Robb_K
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Robb_K »

Not a nice game to watch for Blues fans. And they were without Weber. I hope The Blues bounce back tomorrow. I hope we get to hear before the deadline, that they've landed Drouin for a "steal price" (Schmaltz and Rattie).

gaijin
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by gaijin »

:notenough:

How can we go from beating Florida, Tampa, Dallas and LA in one week to dropping 3 in a row against San Jose, NY, and Nashville the next week? Injuries, I guess, but the rest of the team has looked (and played) like garbage. It's getting old.

Help us, Tarasenko, you're our only hope.

The Flake
3rd Line Grinder
3rd Line Grinder

Post by The Flake »

I haven't been able to watch the last couple games. Is the whole team playing like crap or is Allen not fully recovered yet 100%?
Remember,
Amateurs built the ark ....
Professionals built the Titanic

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

The Flake wrote:I haven't been able to watch the last couple games. Is the whole team playing like crap or is Allen not fully recovered yet 100%?
Probably both. Allen doesn't look to be in form yet, but the team in front of him was pretty lousy yesterday. Can't blame a 5-0 loss on the refs, but they were pretty awful too.
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2016-2017 Official LGB Sponsor of Dmitri Jaskin
2017-2018 Official LGB Sponsor of Jake Allen

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

gaijin wrote::notenough:

How can we go from beating Florida, Tampa, Dallas and LA in one week to dropping 3 in a row against San Jose, NY, and Nashville the next week? Injuries, I guess, but the rest of the team has looked (and played) like garbage. It's getting old.

Help us, Tarasenko, you're our only hope.
By losing Steen and replacing his ice time with Magnus friggin' Paajarvi, Benching Fabbri for a period for some unknown reason, putting Rattie on a 4th line, giving Jaskin more time then he deserves, and watching the remaining veterans Hitchcock prefers to play look like ass with zero repercussions.

Steen is more valuable than many realize and there is not a player on this team or readily available in the organization capable of replacing him.
Official LGB sponsor of Robert Thomas 2022-2023 Season