GDT #81: 4/7/16 | 7:30PM CST | @ Blackhawks | FSMW/KMOX

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

GDT #81: 4/7/16 | 7:30PM CST | @ Blackhawks | FSMW/KMOX

Post by dmiles2186 »

BLUES (48-23-9) at BLACKHAWKS (47-26-7)

TV: 8:30 p.m. ET; FS-MW, CSN-CH, NHL.TV

Season series: The Chicago Blackhawks and St. Louis Blues have split four games, but Chicago has earned a point in each. The Blackhawks line of Artemi Panarin, Artem Anisimov and Patrick Kane has five goals and four assists. Blues forward Vladimir Tarasenko has three goals and two assists, and forward Robby Fabbri and David Backes have three points each.

Blues team scope: Already dealing with multiple injuries, St. Louis got another scare at practice Wednesday. Goalie Brian Elliott left with an apparent hand injury after taking a shot off the inside of his blocker. The Blues tweeted that Elliott said he is fine and ready to start. He is 0-1-0 with a 4.80 goals-against average and .850 save percentage against the Blackhawks. The Blues are tied for first place in the Central Division with the Dallas Stars, but the Stars hold the tiebreaker with three more regulation/overtime wins. St. Louis is four points ahead of Chicago and must get a point in one of the final two games to avoid being caught. Fabbri (lower body) and defenseman Jay Bouwmeester (upper body) practiced and could play. "It's probably the fourth day in a row where they've looked good, but neither [has] been cleared for play right now," coach Ken Hitchcock said. "We'll have to wait on that. I would say we'll know by pregame skate [or] even before pregame skate [in Chicago]." Center Steve Ott, who hasn't played since tearing his hamstrings Dec. 5, has been diagnosed with colitis and will be re-evaluated in two weeks.

Blackhawks team scope: Chicago's injuries are also piling up. The Blackhawks didn't have forward Marian Hossa (lower body), forward Andrew Shaw (upper body) or goalie Corey Crawford (upper body) in a 6-2 win against the Arizona Coyotes on Tuesday, and lost Anisimov (upper body) in the second period. Anisimov is day-to-day after being sent into the boards headfirst by former Blackhawks center Antoine Vermette. Shaw isn't likely to play, and Hossa, who has 499 NHL goals, is questionable. Chicago needs to win its final two games to catch St. Louis or Dallas, but wants players to heal too, especially Shaw. "With him, the way he plays, we'll make sure he's more than ready if he's going to be playing this week," coach Joel Quenneville said. "There's still a lot of scenarios, some very unlikely, but his situation, that's always our mindset this time of the year. If guys are ready to play, we're going to play them, but in his case let's make sure he's at least at that level." Chicago didn't practice Wednesday. Goalie Scott Darling could make his 11th straight start. The Blackhawks recalled forward Bryan Bickell from Rockford of the American Hockey League on Wednesday and signed University of Michigan forward Tyler Motte to a three-year entry-level contract.
A potent offense has the St. Louis Blues on an impressive roll despite the absence of some key contributors. The exact same thing can be said of the Chicago Blackhawks.

The Central Division rivals are on a potential collision course for a postseason matchup, and that could move closer to reality Thursday night when the teams meet at the United Center.

As the season enters the final few days, there is still plenty left to be determined in the Western Conference. St. Louis (48-23-9) and Dallas are tied for the Central lead and Chicago trails by four points. Finishing as the top seed would give the Blues a first-round matchup with Minnesota, while a second-place finish in the division would send them into a series with the Blackhawks.

''We have a lot at stake right now,'' Blues goaltender Brian Elliott said. ''It's funny how it always comes down to the last games no matter what.''

Outside of Pittsburgh, which has won 13 of 14, no teams appear more formidable right now than St. Louis and Chicago (47-26-7).

The Blues have won seven of eight, averaging 3.75 goals with five in each of the last three games. Kyle Brodziak scored two of their five unanswered in a 5-2 victory over Arizona on Monday.

''I think we just weren't as sharp as we needed to be and sometimes that happens (when) you come home late,'' Brodziak said. ''I thought the energy in the room after the first was really, really good and we got ourselves re-focused.''

Elliott continued his stellar run with 25 saves and improved to 12-1-1 with a 1.74 goals-against average and four shutouts since the All-Star break. He'll need to carry the load in net with backup Jake Allen (lower body) out for the rest of the regular season.

Also sidelined for the final two games is captain David Backes (lower body), second on the team with 21 goals and fourth with 45 points.

St. Louis will get absolutely no sympathy from Chicago, which is currently without goaltender Corey Crawford, forwards Marian Hossa (lower body), Andrew Shaw (upper body) and Artem Anisimov, and star defenseman Duncan Keith (suspension).

Anisimov left in the second period of Tuesday's 6-2 win over the Coyotes after taking a bit hit from Antoine Vermette.

''We'll know more tomorrow, but we'll say day to day, upper body, he should be OK,'' coach Joel Quenneville said.

The loss of Anisimov, who centers a high-scoring line with Patrick Kane and Artemi Panarin, would be a big one, but the Blackhawks have managed to win five of six despite those absences. Their offense has somehow been better lately, totaling 17 goals during a three-game win streak with help from a power play that's 6 for 12 after an 0-for-26 drought.

Jonathan Toews has two goals and five assists during a five-game point streak.

"We want to get our game together and play the complete game that we're going to need in the playoffs, but at the same time, it's a lot easier to play at the highest level when the playoffs come around and that motivation's right there in front of your face," Toews said.

Chicago's captain is far from the only Blackhawks player that will take a hot streak into this contest. Panarin has 10 points in his last three games to give him 75 on the season.

Kane, the league leader with 102 points, has five goals and three assists in the team's three-game run

Scott Darling is expected to make his 11th straight start and first against St. Louis. He's 5-1-0 with a 2.67 GAA in the last six.

Elliott has not fared well against Chicago, going 1-3-0 with a 3.32 GAA in his past five starts.

The Blackhawks are 2-0-2 against the Blues this season, losing the last in a six-round shootout March 9 in St. Louis.

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

gaijin
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Re: GDT #81: 4/7/16 | 7:30PM CST | @ Blackhawks | FSMW/KMOX

Post by gaijin »

Big game. I think we see the bad blood between these teams tonight. Please no more injuries.

2 points, please. :letsgoblues:

:hawkssuck: :hawkssuck: :hawkssuck:

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

Get 1 pt. tonight and we clinch no worse than 2nd.

:letsgoblues:
LETS GO BLUES RADIO
LIVE weekly broadcasts on YouTube & http://www.LetsGoBlues.com/radio!
Twitter: https://twitter.com/curtprice
Lets Go Blues Radio Twitter: https://twitter.com/lgbradio
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cprice12/
Lets Go Blues Radio Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lgbradio/

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

I wonder if Chicago would pull their goalie in a tie game late. Losing in regulation is the same thing as winning in overtime for them.
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2016-2017 Official LGB Sponsor of Dmitri Jaskin
2017-2018 Official LGB Sponsor of Jake Allen

SamJunior
2nd Line Scorer
2nd Line Scorer

Post by SamJunior »

cardsfan04 wrote:I wonder if Chicago would pull their goalie in a tie game late. Losing in regulation is the same thing as winning in overtime for them.
Depends on whether they would like to meet us in the first round or the Stars.

Kerfuffle
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by Kerfuffle »

cardsfan04 wrote:I wonder if Chicago would pull their goalie in a tie game late. Losing in regulation is the same thing as winning in overtime for them.
We did that against Detroit about 5 years ago cause Detroit held the tiebreaker and thus we had to beat them in regulation - we could not let the Red Wings get 1pt. So with the game tied at 2-2 we pulled Crawford at home and lots of people freaked out thinking that Quenneville forgot the game was tied. Only the true fans like myself knew what was going on and that we had to win in regulation otherwise it was meaningless. We didn't get the goal in regulation and it went to OT.

Now, having said that I don't believe we would do that tonight if the situation is the same - the reason being is that Anaheim and LA are right behind us in the standings so trying to risk overtaking the Blues may mean we fall to 5th if the Blues put in the ENG and the Ducks and Kings win the rest of their games.

We also have a lot of people out tonight - Keith, Shaw, Crawford, Hossa. We even brought up Bickell for tonight just to showcase him for whatever that's worth. I don't expect this game to be a true reflection on how the playoff games will go.

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

Kerfuffle wrote:
We did that against Detroit about 5 years ago cause Detroit held the tiebreaker and thus we had to beat them in regulation - we could not let the Red Wings get 1pt. So with the game tied at 2-2 we pulled Crawford at home and lots of people freaked out thinking that Quenneville forgot the game was tied. Only the true fans like myself knew what was going on and that we had to win in regulation otherwise it was meaningless. We didn't get the goal in regulation and it went to OT.

Now, having said that I don't believe we would do that tonight if the situation is the same - the reason being is that Anaheim and LA are right behind us in the standings so trying to risk overtaking the Blues may mean we fall to 5th if the Blues put in the ENG and the Ducks and Kings win the rest of their games.

We also have a lot of people out tonight - Keith, Shaw, Crawford, Hossa. We even brought up Bickell for tonight just to showcase him for whatever that's worth. I don't expect this game to be a true reflection on how the playoff games will go.
What's the relevance of LA/Anaheim in this scenario? The current playoff format is division 1-3 seed + 2 wild cards. Are you referring to home ice in the conference finals? If so, I don't think that's what they should base their decision on because that's a hypothetical series down the road that may not even happen.

gaijin
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by gaijin »

Kerfuffle wrote:

That might be the case if the first round of the playoffs was still a ranking of #1 to #8. But this is the second year where the Round 1 will be a Divisional playoff- #1 faces a Wild Card team, and #2 and #3 play each other in each Division. Since it is mathematically impossible for Chicago to fall into a Wild Card spot, whatever Anaheim and LA do has no bearing on what teams the Central plays in Round 1.

But I wouldn't have to make that reminder to a true fan like yourself. :wink:

Kerfuffle
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by Kerfuffle »

gaijin wrote: That might be the case if the first round of the playoffs was still a ranking of #1 to #8. But this is the second year where the Round 1 will be a Divisional playoff- #1 faces a Wild Card team, and #2 and #3 play each other in each Division. Since it is mathematically impossible for Chicago to fall into a Wild Card spot, whatever Anaheim and LA do has no bearing on what teams the Central plays in Round 1.

You missed it completely. I never said Chicago was falling into a Wild Card spot - they can't. The Hawks falling to 5th in the conference would mean we lose home ice for the 2nd round and possibly 3rd round as well. So obviously finishing 3rd in conference is better than 5th for the later rounds. Obviously we have to get out of round 1 but I don't see Hawks getting home ice in round 1 regardless of tonight's game and therefore don't want to 'go for it' and pull our goalie and thereby jeopardize home ice for rounds 2 and maybe 3.

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

Kerfuffle wrote:
gaijin wrote: That might be the case if the first round of the playoffs was still a ranking of #1 to #8. But this is the second year where the Round 1 will be a Divisional playoff- #1 faces a Wild Card team, and #2 and #3 play each other in each Division. Since it is mathematically impossible for Chicago to fall into a Wild Card spot, whatever Anaheim and LA do has no bearing on what teams the Central plays in Round 1.

You missed it completely. I never said Chicago was falling into a Wild Card spot - they can't. The Hawks falling to 5th in the conference would mean we lose home ice for the 2nd round and possibly 3rd round as well. So obviously finishing 3rd in conference is better than 5th for the later rounds. Obviously we have to get out of round 1 but I don't see Hawks getting home ice in round 1 regardless of tonight's game and therefore don't want to 'go for it' and pull our goalie and thereby jeopardize home ice for rounds 2 and maybe 3.
I think home ice for second round will already be determined. Let's say Stars win the division and play Wild. Wouldn't round 2 be Stars/Wild vs Blues/Hawks? If so, home ice is already settled and still makes Anaheim/LA irrelevant until the finals. Which goes back to my last point. Why strategize based on a single hypothetical series instead of a single ~definite series?

Kerfuffle
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by Kerfuffle »

cardsfan04 wrote: I think home ice for second round will already be determined. Let's say Stars win the division and play Wild. Wouldn't round 2 be Stars/Wild vs Blues/Hawks? If so, home ice is already settled and still makes Anaheim/LA irrelevant until the finals. Which goes back to my last point. Why strategize based on a single hypothetical series instead of a single ~definite series?
Because the first round is already settled for the Hawks in all probability. We will start as the road team. Tonight's game has much more meaning for the Blues than us as you guys are deadlocked with Dallas for the #1 seed in the conference. Hence I would not risk home ice position in later rounds for the Hawks to try and win in regulation tonight with an empty goal if it comes to that.

If playoffs started today, it's Dallas/Minn, St Louis/Chicago, Anaheim/Nashville, and LA/San Jose in round 1.

Let's say Dallas, Chicago, Anaheim, and LA win round 1. The matchups for round 2 would then be Dallas/LA, and Chicago/Anaheim. So yes home ice for round 2 is very important here cause it means Chicago would have it against Anaheim. If we risk tonight's game and lose in regulation with an ENG and Anaheim and LA win out then we fall to 5th and 2nd round home ice would be switched with Anaheim having it.

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

Kerfuffle wrote:
cardsfan04 wrote: I think home ice for second round will already be determined. Let's say Stars win the division and play Wild. Wouldn't round 2 be Stars/Wild vs Blues/Hawks? If so, home ice is already settled and still makes Anaheim/LA irrelevant until the finals. Which goes back to my last point. Why strategize based on a single hypothetical series instead of a single ~definite series?
Because the first round is already settled for the Hawks in all probability. We will start as the road team. Tonight's game has much more meaning for the Blues than us as you guys are deadlocked with Dallas for the #1 seed in the conference. Hence I would not risk home ice position in later rounds for the Hawks to try and win in regulation tonight with an empty goal if it comes to that.

If playoffs started today, it's Dallas/Minn, St Louis/Chicago, Anaheim/Nashville, and LA/San Jose in round 1.

Let's say Dallas, Chicago, Anaheim, and LA win round 1. The matchups for round 2 would then be Dallas/LA, and Chicago/Anaheim. So yes home ice for round 2 is very important here cause it means Chicago would have it against Anaheim. If we risk tonight's game and lose in regulation with an ENG and Anaheim and LA win out then we fall to 5th and 2nd round home ice would be switched with Anaheim having it.
I'm 95% certain bolded is wrong. They don't reseed anymore, do they? I think they create a 4 team bracket for each division. 2 Western Conference brackets meet in Conference Finals as do 2 Easter Conference brackets. If it is Dallas, Chicago, Anaheim, and LA, I believe it is actually Dallas/Chicago and LA/Anaheim. I don't think there's even a such thing as a 5th seed anymore.

gaijin
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by gaijin »

cardsfan04 wrote:
Kerfuffle wrote:

I'm 95% certain bolded is wrong. They don't reseed anymore, do they? I think they create a 4 team bracket for each division. 2 Western Conference brackets meet in Conference Finals as do 2 Easter Conference brackets. If it is Dallas, Chicago, Anaheim, and LA, I believe it is actually Dallas/Chicago and LA/Anaheim. I don't think there's even a such thing as a 5th seed anymore.
Correct. Round 2 is the Division Championship- the winner of (hypothetically) Dallas vs Minnesota would play the winner of St. Louis vs Chicago. So if Dallas and Chicago win their series (to use Kerfuffle's example), Round 2 would be Dallas vs Chicago for the Central Division title. Round 3 is then Central champs vs Pacific champs in the Western Conference Finals.

Kerfuffle
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by Kerfuffle »

cardsfan04 wrote: I'm 95% certain bolded is wrong. They don't reseed anymore, do they? I think they create a 4 team bracket for each division. 2 Western Conference brackets meet in Conference Finals as do 2 Easter Conference brackets. If it is Dallas, Chicago, Anaheim, and LA, I believe it is actually Dallas/Chicago and LA/Anaheim. I don't think there's even a such thing as a 5th seed anymore.
You're correct - my bad. I knew how first round was decided but forgot they don't reseed afterwards so it's just 4 teams (Dallas, Chicago, Minn, St Louis) for the first 2 rounds. So in my example in posts above the home ice would only be a factor against Anaheim/LA if we got to round 3 and faced one of those teams.

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

Kerfuffle wrote:
cardsfan04 wrote: I'm 95% certain bolded is wrong. They don't reseed anymore, do they? I think they create a 4 team bracket for each division. 2 Western Conference brackets meet in Conference Finals as do 2 Easter Conference brackets. If it is Dallas, Chicago, Anaheim, and LA, I believe it is actually Dallas/Chicago and LA/Anaheim. I don't think there's even a such thing as a 5th seed anymore.
You're correct - my bad. I knew how first round was decided but forgot they don't reseed afterwards so it's just 4 teams (Dallas, Chicago, Minn, St Louis) for the first 2 rounds. So in my example in posts above the home ice would only be a factor against Anaheim/LA if we got to round 3 and faced one of those teams.
Good thing you are a "true fan". Otherwise, I'd have to poke fun for you not remembering that.

:wink:
LETS GO BLUES RADIO

Kerfuffle
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by Kerfuffle »

My boss just texted me - said we need to beat the Blues tonight. He's a Stars season ticket holder. I told him we brought Bickell up for the game so maybe he and Reaves will fight. Be careful Allen - Bickell will score a hat trick tonight :lol:

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

The Blackhawks have lost 11 straight games to Western Conference playoff teams. It's been two months since they beat Dallas on Feb. 6.

Didn't realize that was the case. Wow.
LETS GO BLUES RADIO

gaijin
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by gaijin »

cprice12 wrote:The Blackhawks have lost 11 straight games to Western Conference playoff teams. It's been two months since they beat Dallas on Feb. 6.

Damn, now we're totally screwed. No one can break a streak like us.

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

I'd feel moderately comfortable in a series against Dallas. As good a team as they are, the defense isn't there and defense is fairly important in the playoffs. I'd not enjoy playing Chicago because we all know they'll magically turn it on and up a few notches the minute the real season starts. Let someone else knock them around first.

All I know is this: last season the playoffs started and I has a strange sense of calm and confidence that they'd do well and they let me down hard. There will be no more senses of calm or confidence until they win 16 games.

Oh, and as far as tonight's game? Blues 4, Hawks 3
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

gaijin wrote:
cprice12 wrote:The Blackhawks have lost 11 straight games to Western Conference playoff teams. It's been two months since they beat Dallas on Feb. 6.

Damn, now we're totally screwed. No one can break a streak like us.
My fear as well. This stat floating around is the equivalent of John Kelly saying, 'The Blues haven't given up a power play goal the last 47 times they've been shortha....*other team scores a goal* And the Blues give up their first goal on the penalty kill in 47 attempts!'

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb