Can Ovechkin realistically break Gretzky's goal record?

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

xbleed83bluex
2nd Line Scorer
2nd Line Scorer

Can Ovechkin realistically break Gretzky's goal record?

Post by xbleed83bluex »

Ovechkin currently has 525. Gretzky 894. He needs 370 more to break Gretzky's record. Ovy is only 30 so he has about another decade or so in him.

Hypothetically, *if* Ovy manages to have 50-goal seasons from this point forward (likely not going to happen) he would break Gretzy's record in 8 years, and be the same age as Gretzky when he retired.

If Ovy scores AT LEAST 40 goals from this point forward, He'd need to play 10 more seasons to get to 400 goals - and this is only factoring in if he *only* scored 40 - in many of those seasons he'd get between 40-50 (42,43,44 here and there) which would allow him to beat the record in 9 seasons.

Now if he pulls a Jagr/Chelios and plays until his early-to-mid-40s, he'd have a great chance of beating it, even if he's only nabbing 20+ goals toward the end of his career.
Official 2011-'12 sponsor of the hot chick from the FSMW Blues commercials.

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Re: Can Ovechkin realistically break Gretzky's goal record?

Post by theohall »

Ovechkin may retire whenever he wins a Cup. He has suggested during interviews the past couple of years his only reason for playing in the NHL currently is to win a Cup and once that's achieved he will likely retire. Can't remember one of the exact quotes, but a former teammate has mentioned Ovie could do with or without the game and be just fine, which doesn't seem to indicate the attitude of someone who will play into their 40s. He just doesn't "love" the game like others do.
Official LGB sponsor of Robert Thomas 2022-2023 Season

SteveO
LGB Booster - Blue
LGB Booster - Blue

Post by SteveO »

I think he COULD break it if he kept playing but I also don't think he will.

goon attack
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by goon attack »

I don't think he has any chance. His body is bound to start breaking down real soon. He's an aggressive player.

I predict he'll play another 5-7 tops, and averages 30 goals per season during that span.
Official 2023-'24 Sponsor of: Dua Lipa, Craig Berube, and yoga pants

'22-'23: Kim Wexler; '21-'22: Slayyyter; '21: fat chicks and covid-19; '19-'20: Taco Bell's Spicy Tostada (discontinued); '18-'19: Bhad Bhabie; '17-'18 Pitbull.'16-'17: Donald J. Trump, Black Lives Matter, and Karlie Kloss; '15-'16: the Hadids; '14-'15: $17.8+ trillion U.S. national debt; '13-'14: another season of bitter disappointment; '13: communism; '11-'12: Vlad Sobotka and fake, drunken lesbianism; '10-'11: Ryan Reaves, Bo Derek's cans, Willow Palin, and the new Lightning logo; '09-'10: the epic destruction of the Politics Forum; '08-'09: Sandy Miller

ecbm
All-Star
All-Star

Post by ecbm »

goon attack wrote:I don't think he has any chance. His body is bound to start breaking down real soon. He's an aggressive player.

I predict he'll play another 5-7 tops, and averages 30 goals per season during that span.
My thoughts precisely. He's going to need to seriously modify his playing style to stick around long enough. He's not going to do that. That he has any chance of it at all is impressive. Gretzky played in one of the most (the most?) wide-open eras in NHL history.