GDT Game 2: 4/15/16 | 7:00PM CST | v Hawks | NBCSN/FSMW/Y98

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

GDT Game 2: 4/15/16 | 7:00PM CST | v Hawks | NBCSN/FSMW/Y98

Post by dmiles2186 »

Chatzy with us here: http://us19.chatzy.com/79826077640952
Game 2: BLACKHAWKS at BLUES

Western Conference First Round

St. Louis leads best-of-7 series 1-0

TV: 8 p.m. ET; NBCSN, SN, TVA Sports 2, CSN-CH, FS-MW

It didn't take long for body checks and physicality to grab center stage in this Western Conference First Round series between Central Division rivals.

The St. Louis Blues were credited with 41 hits against the Chicago Blackhawks in the 1-0 overtime win that started the series at Scottrade Center on Wednesday, had 57 by their count, and that still wasn't enough for coach Ken Hitchcock.

Hitchcock said after Game 1 he'd like St. Louis to shoot for 70-plus hits in Game 2. Asked about it Thursday after an optional practice, he reaffirmed that intention.

"Yeah, we're going to need it," Hitchcock said. "We've got to be more physical for us on the forecheck. We're reading too much rather than getting in on it. I think it's an area that's part of our game. Part of it is also puck management. They did a really good job of not letting us in the [offensive] zone with any type of control. Both teams checked really well."

Chicago has faced big, aggressive, forechecking teams before. The Blues did it in 2014, in a first-round series the Blackhawks won in six games. The Anaheim Ducks did it in the Western Conference Final last season, but Chicago won that in seven games before winning the Stanley Cup.

The Blackhawks, who were credited with 24 hits in Game 1, are confident they can expose the Blues' physical style by utilizing a speed game. In fact, coach Joel Quenneville all but said St. Louis would be making a mistake to chase too much body contact, and was skeptical of Hitchcock's magic number of 70.

"I'm not sure about that comment," he said. "I hope there's some validity to it. I hope he tries to go to 70. It means we got the puck the whole [game]."

Blackhawks team scope: Chicago will get back defenseman Duncan Keith, a two-time Norris Trophy winner and last season's Conn Smythe winner, from a six-game suspension for a high-sticking penalty in the regular season. Keith will likely go back to playing with Niklas Hjalmarsson on the top pair and should ease the load for the rest the defensemen. "He's such a big part of our team and he's definitely missed when he's not in the lineup," said defenseman Brent Seabrook, who played 30:35 in Game 1. "Playing 30 minutes, speaking for myself, I've done it a lot of times in the playoffs in big games. I like playing those kind of minutes and being counted on, but having Duncan back definitely can alleviate that pressure in some areas." Keith's return will likely bump either rookie Erik Gustafsson or rookie Viktor Svedberg out of the lineup. Chicago expects forward Andrew Ladd to play again. Ladd, who played in Game 1, was back in Chicago on Thursday and has been shuttling between there and St. Louis while his wife was waiting to deliver their third child. Goalie Corey Crawford is expected to start.

Blues team scope: St. Louis forward Jaden Schwartz is missing teeth but won't miss Game 2. Schwartz will play after some damage during the shift before Blues captain David Backes scored the game-winning goal at 9:04 of overtime. Schwartz was accidentally hit in the mouth by the blade of teammate Jori Lehtera's stick on a follow-through. "He's good," Hitchcock said of Schwartz. "Missing a couple teeth. Nice new smile. He's good." The Blues held an optional skate at Scottrade Center on Thursday. No major lineup changes are expected, and goalie Brian Elliott will start again after his first playoff shutout. The Blues held a meeting prior to their on-ice work, and one of the main subjects was how to crack Chicago's stifling defense, which allowed 18 shots in Game 1. "They're taking away your time and space pretty good," defenseman Alex Pietrangelo said. "They seem to want to get five guys toward the puck as much as possible, so our goal is to try to get out of that swarm and create offense from that."
The St. Louis Blues have plenty of pieces still in place from their previous postseason failures.

Maybe goaltender Brian Elliott is the change that finally drives them into the second round.

After posting the Blues' first playoff shutout in four years, Elliott looks to lift them to a 2-0 lead Friday night over the Chicago Blackhawks - who will get top defenseman Duncan Keith back - in the Western Conference quarterfinals.

The Blues could be facing their final shot at a deep playoff run with coach Ken Hitchcock and the core of their current roster after first-round exits the previous three seasons.

Elliott, however, is the new face in goal as St. Louis tries to change its postseason fortunes. A strong regular season and dominant closing stretch - he went 12-1-1 with a 1.90 goals-against average in his last 16 games - earned Elliott the starting nod ahead of oft-injured Jake Allen, and he came through in Wednesday's opener.

Elliott made 35 saves in a 1-0 overtime win that ended when David Backes' pass deflected off Chicago defenseman Trevor van Riemsdyk's skate and past goalie Corey Crawford.

The ugly goal gave the Blues their third straight victory over Chicago.

''You just try to get your emotions in check and try not to get too revved up, calm yourself down a little bit when needed,'' Elliott said. ''At this time of the year it's just about that next game. You're not looking at the past or the future.''

Elliott led the league with a .930 save percentage and posted a 1.76 GAA and three shutouts in his final eight starts.

He started all six games in a 2013 playoff loss to Los Angeles but made only his second postseason appearance since then in Game 1. Elliott logged the Blues' first playoff shutout since he shared one with Jaroslav Halak on April 14, 2012.

St. Louis, though, has little reason to be overly confident. The Blues appeared in control against the Blackhawks in 2014 after winning twice in overtime at home to start the series, then dropped four straight - two of which went to OT.

All three Blues wins in this regular season's five-game series required overtime, and they've played four straight OT playoff games against the Blackhawks in St. Louis. Chicago went 4-1 in overtime games in last season's playoffs en route to its third Stanley Cup in six seasons.

The well-tested Blackhawks felt they played well Wednesday, and the return of Keith should provide a big boost. The 2015 Conn Smythe winner served the final game of a six-game suspension for high-sticking Minnesota's Charlie Coyle on March 29.

''We're happy to have him back,'' coach Joel Quenneville said. ''He gives us some speed, he gives us a lot of different looks and a lot of other options.''

Crawford was sharp with 17 saves in just his second game back from nearly a month-long absence due to a head injury, but the Blackhawks went 0 for 5 on the power play.

Hitchcock called Backes' goal "fluky."

''That's the type of goal that gets scored in overtime,'' defenseman Niklas Hjalmarsson said. ''But they deserved it too, and we've got to find a way to score.''
Your pregame music
Can I get an encore? Do you want more?

Your pregame motivational speech

Last edited by dmiles2186 on Fri Apr 15, 2016 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Re: GDT Game 2: 4/15/16 | 7:00PM CST | v Hawks | NBCSN/FSMW/

Post by glen a richter »

It won't be 1-0 again. More open play, more rubber finding the net... first team to 5 wins the game.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

gaijin
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by gaijin »

Welcome back from your suspension, Keith. Better keep control of that stick.

:letsgoblues: :goblues: :letsgoblues:

Kerfuffle
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by Kerfuffle »

glen a richter wrote:It won't be 1-0 again. More open play, more rubber finding the net... first team to 5 wins the game.
Agreed not 1-0 again but I think it will still be low scoring. I'm predicting 3-1 or 3-2.

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

The Blackhawks have lost 13 straight to "playoff teams". Their last win vs. a playoff team was on 2/6/16 vs. Dallas.
LETS GO BLUES RADIO
LIVE weekly broadcasts on YouTube & http://www.LetsGoBlues.com/radio!
Twitter: https://twitter.com/curtprice
Lets Go Blues Radio Twitter: https://twitter.com/lgbradio
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cprice12/
Lets Go Blues Radio Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lgbradio/

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

gaijin wrote:Welcome back from your suspension, Keith. Better keep control of that stick.

I'm curious if there's a change in how refs call his stick work now. He has gotten away with it for years. Constantly slashing and not getting called for it. Not necessarily vicious slashes, but slashes that impact play nonetheless. With all the attention that this got and him getting what was actually a fairly substantial suspension (even if it was too short), I wonder if referees will let him get away with less going forward.
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2016-2017 Official LGB Sponsor of Dmitri Jaskin
2017-2018 Official LGB Sponsor of Jake Allen

gaijin
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by gaijin »

cardsfan04 wrote:
gaijin wrote:Welcome back from your suspension, Keith. Better keep control of that stick.

I'm curious if there's a change in how refs call his stick work now. He has gotten away with it for years. Constantly slashing and not getting called for it. Not necessarily vicious slashes, but slashes that impact play nonetheless. With all the attention that this got and him getting what was actually a fairly substantial suspension (even if it was too short), I wonder if referees will let him get away with less going forward.
That's a good point, and I think you're probably right- the refs will probably look at Keith's actions with a little more scrutiny, whether consciously or not. That's just the nature of how our minds work- we tend to see what we expect to see, so I would imagine the officials will be pretty strict when it comes to Keith. On the flip side, Keith will probably make an effort to keep his actions under control because of this. At least for a few games.

ecbm
All-Star
All-Star

Post by ecbm »

cprice12 wrote:The Blackhawks have lost 13 straight to "playoff teams". Their last win vs. a playoff team was on 2/6/16 vs. Dallas.
Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

:mrgreen:

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

This game really worries me. Keith is going to come out like a man on fire, the Hawks at large are probably going to come out pissed off... Blues better be able to match the certain intensity that will be awaiting them when the puck is dropped or it's going to be a quick night.

I just don't feel good about this one...

Blues 2
Hawks 3
Official 2021-2022 LGB Sponsor of Torey Krug
Official 2021 LGB Sponsor of Brayden Schenn
Official 2018-2019 LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2018 LGB Playoff Challenge Champ
Official 2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
Official 2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Scottie Upshall
Official 2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

Quenneville is right. If the Blues are trying to reach 70 hits, then the Hawks have the puck 70 times and the Blues aren't generating offense in the offensive zone. How about maintaining possession in the offensive zone more consistently, getting shots on goal, and forcing offensive zone faceoffs vice setting a goal of 70 hits. The only two really lopsided stats last game were Shots on Goal and Offensive Zone starts in which the Hawks doubled the SOG and had almost 3x as many Offensive Zone starts (30-11). Official hits were almost 2-1 in favor of St Louis and that wasn't generating Offensize Zone starts.

More OZS please for the Blues or Chicago's offensive ability will get a road win.
Official LGB sponsor of Robert Thomas 2022-2023 Season

Kerfuffle
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by Kerfuffle »

cprice12 wrote:The Blackhawks have lost 13 straight to "playoff teams". Their last win vs. a playoff team was on 2/6/16 vs. Dallas.
That's a meaningless stat and one that can quickly be flipped on its head. Over the past 13 years the Blues have only advanced past the first round once. Do I think it has any relevance to this year's Blues team? Nope.

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

Kerfuffle wrote:
That's a meaningless stat and one that can quickly be flipped on its head. Over the past 13 years the Blues have only advanced past the first round once. Do I think it has any relevance to this year's Blues team? Nope.
But...50 years of failure!

StL Dan
2nd Line Scorer
2nd Line Scorer

Post by StL Dan »

The Hawks defense played extremely well in Gm 1 w/o Keith. It's safe to assume their D will continue to play at a high level tonight, if not even better. Fortunately, the Blues' D men are appear to be equal to the task. If the Blues can move pucks out of their own zone and through the neutral zone, and the offense is able to find more shooting lanes and put more pucks on net, I like the odds of going up 2-0 in the series.
2019-20 LGB Sponsor of The Schwartz
2018-19 LGB Sponsor of The Schwartz
2017-18 LGB Sponsor of The Schwartz

ecbm
All-Star
All-Star

Post by ecbm »

theohall wrote:Quenneville is right. If the Blues are trying to reach 70 hits, then the Hawks have the puck 70 times and the Blues aren't generating offense in the offensive zone.
No, he isn't. The Kings had both the most hits and the most possession this season. Consider: if you have puck for 30 seconds then turn it over then get it back 10 seconds later due to a hit then you have more possession and more hits than your opponent. Quenneville's interpretation is sometimes-but not at all always-valid.

I do agree with your sentiment though. I don't like the emphasis on physicality from Hitchcock. I'd emphasize putting those 20 shots that missed on net in the hope that a couple more go in. Put it this way: I don't think this squad ever needs reminding that they should hit. I never worry about that part of the Blues' game.

StL Dan
2nd Line Scorer
2nd Line Scorer

Post by StL Dan »

ecbm wrote:
I do agree with your sentiment though. I don't like the emphasis on physicality from Hitchcock. I'd emphasize putting those 20 shots that missed on net in the hope that a couple more go in. Put it this way: I don't think this squad ever needs reminding that they should hit. I never worry about that part of the Blues' game.
The NBCSN crew called the Blues a "football team on skates".
2019-20 LGB Sponsor of The Schwartz
2018-19 LGB Sponsor of The Schwartz
2017-18 LGB Sponsor of The Schwartz

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

I think the Hitch comment accomplished exactly what he intended. People, including Quennville, are talking about it. I don't believe for a second that he meant exactly what he said. I think he was partly trying to play mind games (which is kinda dumb in this context), but also trying to send a message to his team. "Don't let up, play the physical game." Generally speaking, I think that message is right. We're not going to win a series against them if it's wide open. They're way too offensively talented for us to play that style against them. In any case, I think the number 70 is getting more attention as a literal goal than it should be.
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2016-2017 Official LGB Sponsor of Dmitri Jaskin
2017-2018 Official LGB Sponsor of Jake Allen

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

Good points by all.

:goblues: :letsgoblues:

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

Reading JR's chat transcript....

Fabbri-Stastny-Brouwer line nickname...
FSB

That is the abbreviation for the Russian Counter Intelligence Service...

And they countered the Toews line well enough in the 1st game.

So... something related to that... can't really think of anything.

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

cardsfan04 wrote:I think the Hitch comment accomplished exactly what he intended. People, including Quennville, are talking about it. I don't believe for a second that he meant exactly what he said. I think he was partly trying to play mind games (which is kinda dumb in this context), but also trying to send a message to his team. "Don't let up, play the physical game." Generally speaking, I think that message is right. We're not going to win a series against them if it's wide open. They're way too offensively talented for us to play that style against them. In any case, I think the number 70 is getting more attention as a literal goal than it should be.
I agree. I know people hate comparisons to baseball but it was very La Russa-esque. You say something to get the media and everyone else talking and just let your guys do their thing.

Portland Blues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Portland Blues »

Seriously? We get Eddie O. for the color guy tonight? Such a douche...