GDT Game 3: 4/17/16 | 2:00PM CST | @ Hawks | NBC/Y98

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

JCShutout
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Re: GDT Game 3: 4/17/16 | 2:00PM CST | @ Hawks | NBC/Y98

Post by JCShutout »

:woohoo: I really expected the Blues to turtle, especially after going down 1-0 early. Its so nice to be wrong!!! LETS GO BLUUUUUES!!!
2021 Sponsor of Jordan Binnington
2016-17 Sponsor of David Perron
2015-16 Sponsor of Dmitri Jaškin

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

Outplayed for 2 periods. Strong 3rd period and a win for the first time in the playoffs in Chicago in 14 years. :letsgoblues: :goblues:

Thanks Kane! :P
Official LGB sponsor of Robert Thomas 2022-2023 Season

goon attack
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by goon attack »

FUUUUUUUUUUKKKKKK YESSSS!!!!

2 more against these guys and then onward.
Official 2023-'24 Sponsor of: Dua Lipa, Craig Berube, and yoga pants

'22-'23: Kim Wexler; '21-'22: Slayyyter; '21: fat chicks and covid-19; '19-'20: Taco Bell's Spicy Tostada (discontinued); '18-'19: Bhad Bhabie; '17-'18 Pitbull.'16-'17: Donald J. Trump, Black Lives Matter, and Karlie Kloss; '15-'16: the Hadids; '14-'15: $17.8+ trillion U.S. national debt; '13-'14: another season of bitter disappointment; '13: communism; '11-'12: Vlad Sobotka and fake, drunken lesbianism; '10-'11: Ryan Reaves, Bo Derek's cans, Willow Palin, and the new Lightning logo; '09-'10: the epic destruction of the Politics Forum; '08-'09: Sandy Miller

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

I was telling my sons, who are too young to know what the hell I'm talking about, that a double minor would really help and lo and behold it happens. Huge franking win!
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

https://twitter.com/PeteBlackburn/status/721818333407010817
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2016-2017 Official LGB Sponsor of Dmitri Jaskin
2017-2018 Official LGB Sponsor of Jake Allen

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

Nice! cardsfan04. :)

Only 3 players had less ice time than Fabbri (10.5) - Ott (6.5), Brodziak (8.5), and Edmundson (8.8). And in that 10.5 minutes, Fabbri assists on the Blues 1st and 2nd goals. Play the kid more, not less. He barely played at all in the 3rd period.

Less than 10 minutes for a defenseman? That's really odd. That's almost the equivalent of playing with just 5 defenseman. Might as well dress an extra forward whose capable of playing D.

Portland Blues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Portland Blues »

I really really thought we were going to lose this one. Feels great to be wrong. :woohoo:

Robb_K
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Robb_K »

Great character win and answer to the disappointment of Game 2. Now, they just need to play the same way Tuesday, and put them away in front of the home crowd on Thursday.

xbleed83bluex
2nd Line Scorer
2nd Line Scorer

Post by xbleed83bluex »

I really thought we were going to lose. An afternoon playoff game in Chicago's building. We weren't playing with the same intensity as the first two games - there were a lot of turnovers, and the Blues had trouble setting things up in the offensive zone. We were really fortunate that the goals we had went in - Berglund's goal was pure luck. The Blackhawks outplayed the Blues by a hair. This game could've gone either way - the momentum was swinging back-and-forth.

The only time we got a non-fluke goal was on the power play, and we can't rely solely on power plays to score - we have to learn how to beat Crawford 5 on 5. Blues PASS too much - we have to get those pucks on net. We're not going to beat the Hawks defense with fancy rehearsed plays - it's going to take garbage goals and lucky bounces. Just shoot the puck on net, and maybe it'll go off a skate or a Hawks player. But Elliot and Crawford have been rocks. Elliot baled us on tremendously in the games we won. We need to go into game 4 with as much energy as we had in the first game.
Official 2011-'12 sponsor of the hot chick from the FSMW Blues commercials.

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

Some war-on-ice numbers

Shots on Goal CHI 46 STL 36
Missed Shots CHI 9 STL 7
Blocked Shots CHI 13 STL 19
Total Shot Attempts CHI 68 STL 62

Faceoff Wins CHI 41 STL 42

High Quality Scoring Chances CHI 6 STL 13

Offensive Zone Starts CHI 30 STL 34

Hits CHI 36 STL 40

What war-on-ice doesn't show: Turnovers. The Blues may have been even on faceoffs, but the Hawks did a better job taking the puck from the Blues after the Blues had clear possession following faceoff wins. This is one area the Blues need to improve upon in addition to finishing chances.

Good news: More offensive zone starts than CHI for the first time in this series and getting to basically 50% on faceoffs was a huge improvement.

Statistically, the Blues played a better game, but the turnover thing after faceoffs wins has to stop. That's playing with fire vs a team like Chicago.

ComradeT
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by ComradeT »

Panarin jumping on the ice with teammate 20 feet away right before a flurry of Chicago chances not going in only by the miracle that is Brian Elliot. I bet we won't hear too many Chicago fans complaining about TMM there.
Elliott's wild series of saves - NHL com.jpg
Elliott's wild series of saves - NHL com.jpg (54.22 KiB) Viewed 2137 times
2018 - 2019 Official sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
2017 - 2018 Official sponsor of Joel "Top Shelf" Edmundson
2016 - 2017 Official sponsor of Nail "THE YAK" Yakupov

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

ComradeT wrote:Panarin jumping on the ice with teammate 20 feet away right before a flurry of Chicago chances not going in only by the miracle that is Brian Elliot. I bet we won't hear too many Chicago fans complaining about TMM there.
I know where you're going with that (Tarasenko OT goal, etc.) and all the complaining from hawk fans. But, I'm actually not too upset about this one. He's probably a little early, but it's not by a lot and it's way behind the play. As long as it's behind the play and the early player doesn't make an immediate impact, I think they should let ones like this go.

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

Huge win today for several reasons. Obviously game 3 of any series (especially a 1-1 series) is huge. Winner of game 3 of a 1-1 series has a huge edge rest of the way. Very common turning point.

But, also, this game was like the antithesis of our playoff memories. Lose game 2 in the manner we did followed by going down 1-0 after allowing a PP goal on a BS double minor to Brodziak, and generally being mostly outplayed for 2 periods. To pull out a win in this situation is so different than what we've seen the past few years. And to do it in Chicago vs the Hawks whom we haven't beaten in the playoffs on the road in 14 years? 2 more games (and 3 more series!) to go, but this has a different feeling than the past few seasons.

ComradeT
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by ComradeT »

cardsfan04 wrote:
ComradeT wrote:Panarin jumping on the ice with teammate 20 feet away right before a flurry of Chicago chances not going in only by the miracle that is Brian Elliot. I bet we won't hear too many Chicago fans complaining about TMM there.
I know where you're going with that (Tarasenko OT goal, etc.) and all the complaining from hawk fans. But, I'm actually not too upset about this one. He's probably a little early, but it's not by a lot and it's way behind the play. As long as it's behind the play and the early player doesn't make an immediate impact, I think they should let ones like this go.
The exact reason I'm posting this is that Panarin got involved in the play immediately, getting to the puck at the blue line ahead of Gunnarsson and causing this sequence:

https://www.nhl.com/video/elliotts-wild ... c-43569403

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

ComradeT wrote:
cardsfan04 wrote:
The exact reason I'm posting this is that Panarin got involved in the play immediately, getting to the puck at the blue line ahead of Gunnarsson and causing this sequence:

Oh, my bad, I missed that. Just saw how close they were and the little pileup by the far boards.

ComradeT
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by ComradeT »

cardsfan04 wrote:
ComradeT wrote:
cardsfan04 wrote:

Oh, my bad, I missed that. Just saw how close they were and the little pileup by the far boards.
I think this is TMM by the rules, just as with Tarasenko then. Game-wise, I think this is perfectly fine. Forwards need to be aggressive and pursue the play when they can. I think the key is that the guy coming off the ice is clearly out of the play and has no intention of jumping back in. Which is the case in both instances.

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

ComradeT wrote:
cardsfan04 wrote:
ComradeT wrote:
cardsfan04 wrote:

I think this is TMM by the rules, just as with Tarasenko then. Game-wise, I think this is perfectly fine. Forwards need to be aggressive and pursue the play when they can. I think the key is that the guy coming off the ice is clearly out of the play and has no intention of jumping back in. Which is the case in both instances.
Shhhh. Kerfuffle knows the Blackhawks never get away with too many men by having players jump on the ice early. :wink:

Robb_K
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Robb_K »

theohall wrote:
ComradeT wrote:
cardsfan04 wrote:
ComradeT wrote:
cardsfan04 wrote:

Shhhh. Kerfuffle knows the Blackhawks never get away with too many men by having players jump on the ice early. :wink:
Not to mention the extreme bad luck of the puck landing right on Bouwmeester's stick as he was coming out the door from the bench onto the ice, and getting a penalty for it. His stick HAD to precede him, and he had no idea the puck was there.

ComradeT
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by ComradeT »

Robb_K wrote: Not to mention the extreme bad luck of the puck landing right on Bouwmeester's stick as he was coming out the door from the bench onto the ice, and getting a penalty for it. His stick HAD to precede him, and he had no idea the puck was there.
I was listening on the radio in the car and boy I started yelling at him as if he were standing right in front of me. Realize now that not having seen the puck and playing it by accident is the more likely scenario.

crazyhorse
3rd Line Grinder
3rd Line Grinder

Post by crazyhorse »

Wow, Bergy has really picked up his game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2012-2013 official LGB sponsor of Vladimir Sobotka
2013-2014 official LGB sponsor of Ryan Miller
2014-2015 official LGB sponsor of Alexander Steen
2015-2016 official LGB sponsor of Kyle Brodziak
2016-2017 official LGB sponsor of Alexander Steen
2017-2018 official LGB sponsor of Scotty Upshall
2018-2019 official LGB sponsor of Brayden Schenn