GDT Game 4: 4/19/16 | 8:30PM CST | @ Hawks | NBCSN/FSMW/Y98

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

Portland Blues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Re: GDT Game 4: 4/19/16 | 8:30PM CST | @ Hawks | NBCSN/FSMW/

Post by Portland Blues »

rasrar wrote:
theohall wrote:These broadcasts are a joke. There was a sequence in the 1st when Chicago had 7 men on the ice. Did they replay it and point it out? Hell no. Now, in the 2nd, they sure as heck show the Blues having 6 guys and getting away with it. No bias here in the National broadcast.
The "national" broadcast is just the Chicago feed that they air on NBCSN. That explains it. I was thinking the same thing. The commentators were praising the refs the whole game.
It's as annoying as hell. Do they just assume everyone outside of the local area is a Chicago fan? I mean, I doubt actual Chicago fans would enjoy hearing the Blues broadcast every game.

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

Not that particularly many children were probably up that late watching the game, but one thing these guys all need to keep in mind is that like it or not, they're in a position where they act as role models for children. You can go on about political correctness and should we be or shouldn't we be, but one thing that shouldn't be happening is the national televising of something lewd or inappropriate that can influence a young child. There's a reason they beep out profanity and flipping the ref a double bird is a non-verbal form of profanity, the mouthing of any kind of slur even if you can't actually hear what he's saying, is a form of profanity. I'd be willing to cut him a break for the slur (had he vehemently denied it instead of admitting it) because lip reading is an imperfect art (for example the phrase I love you and the word colorful have identical lip movements) but the double bird was unacceptable on national TV and he should at least get fined for it.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

Portland Blues wrote:
rasrar wrote:
theohall wrote:These broadcasts are a joke. There was a sequence in the 1st when Chicago had 7 men on the ice. Did they replay it and point it out? Hell no. Now, in the 2nd, they sure as heck show the Blues having 6 guys and getting away with it. No bias here in the National broadcast.
The "national" broadcast is just the Chicago feed that they air on NBCSN. That explains it. I was thinking the same thing. The commentators were praising the refs the whole game.
It's as annoying as hell. Do they just assume everyone outside of the local area is a Chicago fan? I mean, I doubt actual Chicago fans would enjoy hearing the Blues broadcast every game.
The problem is the local Chicago broadcast is CSN - which is Comcast - which is owned by NBC. No way is NBC going to air a Fox broadcast of the game.

What torques me, due to being in Florida, is not having the option to chose the FSMW broadcast which is available in St Louis. I'm forced to watch the NBC National feed which is actually the Chicago CSN feed. Jackass network crap.

It's been interesting listening to the Blues radio feed via SiriusXM while watching the CSN broadcast. You can really see the bias in the coverage when the TV repeatedly shows the missed calls that would go against the Blues while showing none of the missed calls which would go against Chicago. Watching that one would think the 'Hawks are saints and never do anything wrong while the league is out to get the Hawks. Case in point - Hawks had 7 skaters on the ice in the 1st period. Blues radio mentions it - Hawks broadcast - not a peep. In the 2nd, the Blues got away with 6 skaters on the ice. Blues radio - said the Blues got away with one, Hawks broadcast sure as heck shows it while trying to claim the calls are biased against Chicago. And this was after the BS with Fabbri and Crawford when the 'Hawks clearly got a PP they didn't deserve.
Official LGB sponsor of Robert Thomas 2022-2023 Season

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

Kerfuffle wrote:
cprice12 wrote: I was going to say something similar.
The message is in the receiver.
In short...don't be an insenstive asshole and you won't have to worry about anyone else "getting their feelings hurt".
People need to be careful with what they say, he shouldn't have said it. But we also live in a time where people get upset too easily and need toughen up. i.e. Facebook putting up 59 genders to pick from is a perfect example of changing something that always seemed so clear (male/female) to now include the ridiculousness so that feelings aren't hurt.
So black folks should "toughen up" when someone uses the "N" word.
Gay folks should "toughen up" when someone uses the "Fxxxxt" word.
And a-holes like Shaw shouldn't be held accountable for the actions.
Typical Chicago d-bag attitude. No punishment for anything no matter how wrong they are.
Got it.

abc789987
All-Star
All-Star

Post by abc789987 »

https://twitter.com/Russostrib/status/722882873385033729 edit*
and can't forget https://twitter.com/Russostrib/status/722882991442112513

fargoblues
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by fargoblues »

abc789987 wrote:https://twitter.com/Russostrib/status/722882873385033729 edit*
and can't forget https://twitter.com/Russostrib/status/722882991442112513

These are indeed strange times in which we live.
Official LGB Sponsor of Bernie Federko's Stonewashed Jeans, Custom Cabinets, and cold Busch Light.

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

Good!

abc789987
All-Star
All-Star

Post by abc789987 »

Apparently the fine is for the flipping off the officials. The suspension is for the slur.

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

Looking at the penalties at the end of the game, Steen got a roughing minor for Shaw beating on him. Everyone on the ice got 10 minute misconducts outside of the goalies.

I want to know why Shaw wasn't given an instigator minor for immediately throwing punches at a guy who was face down on the ice. At least the league suspended the d-bag. Just like Crawford should have been given an instigating minor and was not.

Kerfuffle
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by Kerfuffle »

Love the 'sensitivity training' part of the punishment. They make it sound like a college course someone has to enroll in. I wonder if anything like this really exists - probably more just someone calls him on the phone and says 'hey you can't say this and this and this - got it?' and you say okay I understand now.

abc789987
All-Star
All-Star

Post by abc789987 »

Kerfuffle wrote:Love the 'sensitivity training' part of the punishment. They make it sound like a college course someone has to enroll in. I wonder if anything like this really exists - probably more just someone calls him on the phone and says 'hey you can't say this and this and this - got it?' and you say okay I understand now.
Have you seen the movie Anger Management?

Kerfuffle
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by Kerfuffle »

abc789987 wrote:Apparently the fine is for the flipping off the officials. The suspension is for the slur.
yep that's correct - saw the statement on the Hawks feed this afternoon when it came through

Portland Blues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Portland Blues »

Regarding the sensitivity training - I guarantee that if you work for any billion dollar business (like the NHL) you'd end up in some type of HR-mandated program after publicly yelling that slur.

The amount of the fine is ridiculous though. That's like fining one of us $1.75.

Portland Blues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Portland Blues »

Hey Curt - maybe we can update this old chestnut :bert: with one of Shaw now?

Misc. Blues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Misc. Blues »

theohall wrote:
Kerfuffle wrote:
cprice12 wrote: I was going to say something similar.
The message is in the receiver.
In short...don't be an insenstive asshole and you won't have to worry about anyone else "getting their feelings hurt".
People need to be careful with what they say, he shouldn't have said it. But we also live in a time where people get upset too easily and need toughen up. i.e. Facebook putting up 59 genders to pick from is a perfect example of changing something that always seemed so clear (male/female) to now include the ridiculousness so that feelings aren't hurt.
So black folks should "toughen up" when someone uses the "N" word.
Gay folks should "toughen up" when someone uses the "Fxxxxt" word.
And a-holes like Shaw shouldn't be held accountable for the actions.
Typical Chicago d-bag attitude. No punishment for anything no matter how wrong they are.
Got it.
Wow and I thought they wanted to be called African Americans...just making a point. :wink:

Funny thing is my friend who happens to be gay thought Shaw calling whomever (player/ref) a faggot was funny. He also happens to be a Hawks fan but had no problem with it.

People are way to sensitive nowadays...just saying...
2016-2017 official sponsor of Alex Pietrangelo (aka Captain Pie)
2015-2016 official sponsor of Jori Lehtera (aka Yorry)
2014-2015 official sponsor of Jay Bouwmeester (aka Jay-bo)
I hate the Shitcago "Black Holes"©®™...they really suck that much...
The Detoilet "dude bangs" ©®™... suck too...repeatedly and more often... ;)

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

I'm kind of surprised by some of the responses to Shaw. I'm not saying what he said is the most awful thing ever, and I wouldn't even characterize my response as being "offended" by it (although I think it would be better if people dropped words like that from their vocabulary, because they're rather unnecessary).

But, to me there's a simple logical progression for this:

1. Did he use a slur? Yes, clearly.
2. Is it ok to use a slur toward an official? No.

You don't have to be overly sensitive or even offended to realize what he said was wrong and the NHL shouldn't tolerate it. I mean, I don't care for the word, and I think the article I linked makes a very valid argument for why condoning its use would create a negative culture in the NHL. But, that's really not even the point here. We can argue the magnitude of his offense all day long. That what he said was inappropriate and that the NHL had to act, at least to me, is indisputable. And, like I said, I don't think you have to be overly sensitive to arrive at that conclusion.
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2016-2017 Official LGB Sponsor of Dmitri Jaskin
2017-2018 Official LGB Sponsor of Jake Allen

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

The thing a lot of people fail to recognize is that when you work for an organization (or league, as the case may be) you represent them. You can rail hardcore against the PC crowd all day long but the bottom line is that if Shaw is representing the Blackhawks organization and the NHL, he has a responsibility to represent them in a manner consistent with their expectations.

Look at Curt Schilling. Dude is a big time toolbag, he says some of the most off color offensive things in the universe. Is he entitled to say those things? Of course! He has freedom of speech like the rest of us. Freedom of speech gives us the privilege to say pretty much anything we want, but there are repercussions that should be understood as attached to the things we say. In his case, he got fired from his job because he wasn't following ESPN's expectations of their employees. Shaw got a fine and a suspension, not because what he did was illegal but because what he did doesn't represent what the league wants to represent.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

Kerfuffle
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by Kerfuffle »

glen a richter wrote:The thing a lot of people fail to recognize is that when you work for an organization (or league, as the case may be) you represent them. You can rail hardcore against the PC crowd all day long but the bottom line is that if Shaw is representing the Blackhawks organization and the NHL, he has a responsibility to represent them in a manner consistent with their expectations.

Look at Curt Schilling. Dude is a big time toolbag, he says some of the most off color offensive things in the universe. Is he entitled to say those things? Of course! He has freedom of speech like the rest of us. Freedom of speech gives us the privilege to say pretty much anything we want, but there are repercussions that should be understood as attached to the things we say. In his case, he got fired from his job because he wasn't following ESPN's expectations of their employees. Shaw got a fine and a suspension, not because what he did was illegal but because what he did doesn't represent what the league wants to represent.
I agree with everything you said above here. I just get ticked with the PC crowd who are always offended and feeling victimized cause their feelings got hurt. It's the jumping on a soap box and claiming outrage like he shot someone and committed a heinois crime that I find irritating. The internet I know drives and fuels this but this story got soo overblown.

On the radio last night coming home from work Toews was interviewed about it and I could tell by his PC responses that he had just been briefed by the media relations department on what to say. I would have just said "look shaw can't say that and it's wrong and I know he's sorry so let's move forward" but the responses he gave seemed so overly PC and contrived. That's what I find irritating.

Even the Hawks written statement to the press mentioned some of the LGBT programs they support as if that were related to the incident. And for the past couple years the PC crowd has found our indianhead on our jersey offensive. So what does the front office do? They contribute money now to Native American causes and programs. They also added native Americans every few games to stand on center ice during the national anthem to show inclusiveness. And they are allowed to pass out literature at games regarding Native American culture - as if this were the place for it - I just want to get a beer and food and watch the game and want to be left alone. In addition this season they now schedule Native Amercian dances a few times during timeouts that they have to put on the Jumbotron to keep them happy. But all this is necessary so they stop protesting our jersey.

Another example - we had a women's rights group offended by the skimpy attire of our ice crew in summer 2014. They got signatures and made such a stink that all the uniforms went from lot of leg and cleavage showing to total coverup. So we changed to appease them and their hurt feelings. When I'm at a game I want to look at beautiful women. We booed heavily along with a lot of other men and at least got them to go back to skirts this year but it's not the same.

One more PC example - for the shoot-the-puck intermission we always had one kid, one dude, and then the hottest women in the stadium that night that the ushers could find. And the organist would play "The Stripper" when she shot the puck and the crowd went nuts. Enter the PC community. Now they eliminated that and the woman selected is just a random female fan and the music is changed. So they killed the fun - so I go take a leak now instead of watching shoot the puck.

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

Kerfuffle wrote:
glen a richter wrote:The thing a lot of people fail to recognize is that when you work for an organization (or league, as the case may be) you represent them. You can rail hardcore against the PC crowd all day long but the bottom line is that if Shaw is representing the Blackhawks organization and the NHL, he has a responsibility to represent them in a manner consistent with their expectations.

I agree with everything you said above here. I just get ticked with the PC crowd who are always offended and feeling victimized cause their feelings got hurt. It's the jumping on a soap box and claiming outrage like he shot someone and committed a heinois crime that I find irritating. The internet I know drives and fuels this but this story got soo overblown.
I wouldn't say it was overblown.
And I don't think it's something people get offended over necessarily. They just recognize that it's wrong and want the NHL to act appropriately to send a message that this kind of thing is indeed wrong and won't be tolerated.
That's the whole point.
Simply chalking it up to someone getting butt-hurt over it is really undercutting the whole point.
Kerfuffle wrote:Another example - we had a women's rights group offended by the skimpy attire of our ice crew in summer 2014. They got signatures and made such a stink that all the uniforms went from lot of leg and cleavage showing to total coverup. So we changed to appease them and their hurt feelings. When I'm at a game I want to look at beautiful women. We booed heavily along with a lot of other men and at least got them to go back to skirts this year but it's not the same.
I'm going to say it's not about hurt feelings and more about a group trying to stop the objectifying of women by organizations such as the Hawks (and other teams).
Don't get me wrong, I'm not going to lie when I say they are nice to look at, but let's step back here and look at what we are talking about.
The Hawks were asked to stop sending out scantily clad sex symbols onto the ice to shovel snow during stoppages and dress them more conservatively.
Why again do those girls need to be showing a lot of leg, cleavage and their stomachs?
You don't understand why that might be considered degrading to women?
Besides, you JUST said yourself...all you want to do is sit back with a beer and watch the game. So what do you care how they are dressed?
Kerfuffle wrote:One more PC example - for the shoot-the-puck intermission we always had one kid, one dude, and then the hottest women in the stadium that night that the ushers could find. And the organist would play "The Stripper" when she shot the puck and the crowd went nuts. Enter the PC community. Now they eliminated that and the woman selected is just a random female fan and the music is changed. So they killed the fun - so I go take a leak now instead of watching shoot the puck.
They pulled a hot woman out of the crowd, put her in the middle of the ice, insinuated she was a stripper and played stripper music?
Seriously?
Gee...I can't imagine why they stopped doing that.
That sounds like an idea that would get someone fired.

I get the idea that the nation is going a little too PC with some things. I really do. Some of it sounds silly to me. But some of it is absolutely necessary because some people need a smack in the head because they just don't get it.
LETS GO BLUES RADIO
LIVE weekly broadcasts on YouTube & http://www.LetsGoBlues.com/radio!
Twitter: https://twitter.com/curtprice
Lets Go Blues Radio Twitter: https://twitter.com/lgbradio
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cprice12/
Lets Go Blues Radio Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lgbradio/

Kerfuffle
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by Kerfuffle »

cprice12 wrote: Why again do those girls need to be showing a lot of leg, cleavage and their stomachs?
You don't understand why that might be considered degrading to women?
Besides, you JUST said yourself...all you want to do is sit back with a beer and watch the game. So what do you care how they are dressed?.
The girls who work these jobs don't feel degraded and they're the ones out there. Many get modeling and commercial gigs from it that pays money. I have no problem with the ice crew at all. Can you really say with a straight face that you find this picture degrading?

How about this? Degrading? Nope
cprice12 wrote: They pulled a hot woman out of the crowd, put her in the middle of the ice, insinuated she was a stripper and played stripper music?
Seriously?
Gee...I can't imagine why they stopped doing that.
That sounds like an idea that would get someone fired.?
You're adding drama to it - it was done for decades and no one had a problem with it until the PC crowd came, the Hawks started winning and drawing national interest, and the front office got scared about image. And look cprice, I know you're the admin here and have some accountability to the Blues organization since they link their main site to here so I understand you have to be PC in your responses regarding this - I get it. But I know if I sat at a game with you you'd have no problem with any of it.