GDT Game 7: 4/25/16 | 7:30PM CST | v Hawks | NBCSN/FSMW/Y98

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

GDT Game 7: 4/25/16 | 7:30PM CST | v Hawks | NBCSN/FSMW/Y98

Post by dmiles2186 »

Chatzy here: http://us19.chatzy.com/79826077640952
BLACKHAWKS at BLUES

Western Conference First Round

Best-of-7 series tied 3-3

TV: 8:30 p.m. ET; NBCSN, CBC, TVA Sports, CSN-CH

Five of the first six games were decided by one goal, including two in overtime, and only one game remains between the Chicago Blackhawks and St. Louis Blues in their Western Conference First Round series.

The Central Division rivals will decide which team advances at Scottrade Center on Monday, after the Blackhawks battled from a 3-1 deficit with wins in Games 5 and 6.

Five of the first six games were decided by one goal, including two in overtime, and only one game remains between the Chicago Blackhawks and St. Louis Blues in their Western Conference First Round series.

The Central Division rivals will decide which team advances at Scottrade Center on Monday, after the Blackhawks battled from a 3-1 deficit with wins in Games 5 and 6.

The Game 7 winner will play the Dallas Stars in the second round.

"We know it's going to be a hostile building in St. Louis," said Blackhawks defenseman Brent Seabrook, who won a 2013 second-round series for Chicago with an overtime goal in Game 7 against the Detroit Red Wings. "It was fun playing there in Game 5. It was loud. It was a good one. We're not expecting anything different [Monday] night, so we've just got to come out and play our game."

The Blues, who blew a 2-0 lead in a first-round loss to the Blackhawks in 2014, have exited the Stanley Cup Playoffs in the opening round the past three seasons. They don't have near the Game 7 experience that Chicago does, but they don't seem to care all that much.

After failing to close out the defending Stanley Cup champions in Games 5 and 6, the Blues are looking forward to a final opportunity to do it on home ice.

"It's as much pressure as you want to put on yourself," said forward Troy Brouwer, a former Blackhawk who will play his seventh career Game 7. "We're excited to play. I know a lot of guys in here haven't played a Game 7 yet in their career. They're excited for it. We're going to have some fun with it. We've worked hard to put ourselves in a good spot this year, to hopefully knock off the defending champions in a Game 7."

The coaches are looking forward to it as well. The Blackhawks are looking to go 3-2 in Game 7s under Joel Quenneville, and the Blues are eager to end the defending Stanley Cup champions' repeat bid in the first round.

"In sports, especially in our sport, it doesn't get any better, it doesn't get any more challenging, it doesn't get any more fun, it doesn't get any better [than Game 7]," St. Louis coach Ken Hitchcock said. "We gave them our best shots early, and they gave us their best shot [in Game 6]. Both shots are very similar. Both shots will be the determining factor in my opinion on who wins [Monday]. And what each team did to each other to get to where we got is the ebb and flow of two wonderful hockey clubs."

Blackhawks team scope: Chicago did not practice before flying to St. Louis on Sunday, but Quenneville is expected to stick with the same lineup that's won consecutive games to even the series. Corey Crawford will start in goal, and the forward lines will likely remain configured the way they were in Games 5 and 6. Jonathan Toews and Patrick Kane have one goal between them, scored by Kane to win Game 5 in double overtime, but they could break out in a moment's notice while continuing to play together on the top line. A byproduct of that decision also improved the makeup of the Blackhawks' bottom six. A newly-formed third line of Andrew Ladd, Marcus Kruger and Marian Hossa has played well defensively against the Blues' top line, which features Vladimir Tarasenko, and the fourth line scored the game-winner Saturday when Dale Weise got his first goal since being acquired from the Montreal Canadiens prior to the NHL Trade Deadline. Defensively, expect David Rundblad to remain in the lineup.

Blues team scope: Hitchcock said there could be some lineup changes, but didn't reveal what they might be. Brian Elliott, who's started the first six games of the series, will be in goal for Game 7. Hitchcock addressed an apparent conflict from Game 6 with Tarasenko, who was seen on the television broadcast angrily stomping away from Hitchcock at the end of the second period. Hitchcock said he's not concerned about the situation, which happened after Tarasenko, who has four goals in the series, got limited ice time during a power play late in the period. "I don't think it's ice-time related," Hitchcock said. "I think he felt like he could have helped on that power play. We didn't get a change on the power play because we had the thing in the [offensive zone] all the time, so ... that's what happens when you've got a guy like that [who] wants to make a difference. I love it, I love it in him."

Your pregame music

Your pregame motivational speech

Last edited by dmiles2186 on Mon Apr 25, 2016 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

gaijin
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Re: GDT Game 7: 4/25/16 | 7:30PM CST | v Hawks | NBCSN/FSMW/

Post by gaijin »

There is only one thing that can save this team and this season from being labelled a failure. Win Game 7.

Help us, Vladi Tarasenko, you're our only hope.

:letsgoblues: :goblues: :letsgoblues:

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

A win tonight and the bi-polar meter swings violently back the other way.
LETS GO BLUES RADIO
LIVE weekly broadcasts on YouTube & http://www.LetsGoBlues.com/radio!
Twitter: https://twitter.com/curtprice
Lets Go Blues Radio Twitter: https://twitter.com/lgbradio
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cprice12/
Lets Go Blues Radio Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lgbradio/

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

I really have no idea how this will even begin to play out. Part of me dreads that we'll be down 5-0 after one and we'll have 2 whole periods to sit and stew on a blown 3-1 series lead. Part of me thinks this will go to OT and I'll be dead by the end of the night. All I ask of the Blues is that they show up and leave it all out there like they have most of the series (save for the 2nd period of Game 6). If they go down swinging, it'll be tough to swallow but at least they gave it a go.

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

Troy Brouwer wrote:We've worked hard to put ourselves in a good spot this year, to hopefully knock off the defending champions in a Game 7."
How about ending it in Games 5 or 6 when you had the chance instead of risking it on a Game 7, moron. The team clearly didn't work hard enough to PREVENT a game 7. Hard work are the two worst possible words one could use in regards to the Blues team after Game 6.
Hitchcock on Tarasenko and the late 2nd period power play wrote:I think he felt like he could have helped on that power play. We didn't get a change on the power play because we had the thing in the [offensive zone] all the time, so...
Giant BS flag on that quote. The puck got sent into the Blues end and the D went back to retrieve it while Troy Brouwer was standing at the Chicago blue line waiting for the D to retrieve the puck with 1:21 to go on that power play. Claiming the Blues had it in the offensive zone the whole time when Hitchcock had a clear opportunity to yank Brouwer for Tank and didn't... WTF Hitchcock with that BS excuse??? Film doesn't lie, but you as a coach sure as heck do. Quit making excuses for your lame ass coaching.

Basically, the Blues have to win in spite of their coaching somehow. Given Q's track record, I wouldn't bet on Hitchcock getting this team over the hump with whatever changes he decides. It will probably be benching Fabbri, Brodziak and Pietrangelo for Reaves, Paajarvi and Jaskin - yes, one of them will play D. :wink:
Official LGB sponsor of Robert Thomas 2022-2023 Season

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

cprice12 wrote:A win tonight and the bi-polar meter swings violently back the other way.
On the bi-polar meter, the friggin' team is bi-polar. Get 2 and 3 goal in Games 5 and 6 only to lose said games? How about attacking your opponent for a whole game instead of sitting back and letting them attack you after you've gotten a lead. How hard is that? This team has yet to have played a full 60 offensively this season and it's the reason they are facing what should have been an unnecessary Game 7.

ecbm
All-Star
All-Star

Post by ecbm »

theohall wrote:Giant BS flag on that quote. The puck got sent into the Blues end and the D went back to retrieve it while Troy Brouwer was standing at the Chicago blue line waiting for the D to retrieve the puck with 1:21 to go on that power play. Claiming the Blues had it in the offensive zone the whole time when Hitchcock had a clear opportunity to yank Brouwer for Tank and didn't... WTF Hitchcock with that BS excuse??? Film doesn't lie, but you as a coach sure as heck do. Quit making excuses for your lame ass coaching.
Yep, a flaming lie and nobody called him on it. Honestly, given the situation I think his decision was indefensible regardless. Late second period, collapse in full progress, first power play of the game. What does the decision to take 91 off there tell me? That Hitch will never, ever, ever double-shift him. And yep, gotta save that TO for later in the rout. Ridiculous.

Yeah, basically Ells & Tank can win this one for us. Otherwise...

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

If the lineup changes are on D and we see...
27/6
55/4
22/19
(which worked down the stretch without Bouwmeester and had 41 playing instead)

While actually double shifting Tank sometimes with other lines...

And putting the 15/26/36 line back together

We might actually win a Game 7.

But we will see

27/19
55/22
41/4

(which didn't work well at all)

And the continued nonsense of playing based on what the Hawks put on the ice, instead of using home ice and dictating play to them.

gaijin
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by gaijin »

dmiles2186 wrote:All I ask of the Blues is that they show up and leave it all out there like they have most of the series (save for the 2nd period of Game 6). If they go down swinging, it'll be tough to swallow but at least they gave it a go.
If they show up, I don't think they will have to go down swinging because our best is good enough to beat the Hawks.

I won't, however, be pleased with "at least they gave it a go." There's been three straight years of that, and I just won't accept it anymore.

Not that my feelings about the situation make much difference. :wink:

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

Seeing as penalties didn't really exist for 2 and half periods in Game 5 when Charron was officiating and he's officiating again tonight.... cheat as much as possible.

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

Then there are lines like this one which help give rise to the seriously questionable coaching.
Hitchcock wrote:We've got to rely on veteran players. This is new for a lot of guys, a lot newer than their team. They maybe got a couple of guys that it's new to; we've got a lot of guys that this is new to. So I think our veteran guys, guys like Brouwer that have been through it before, they're going to help us along here.
Relying on Brouwer when Tarasenko should have been put on the ice worked real great in Game 6, Coach! Why are you going to rely on that again??

It's the young blood the team needs to rely on. The young blood is where the talent is - not in the likes of Brouwer. Play the damn talent and rely on it. This is the problem with this coach. He doesn't get it.

He went to say the Blues young players were too amped up for Game 6 and they had to calm them down. Hmmm.... 3-1 lead. Let's calm the young guys down, blow the lead, and lose. :facepalm:

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

gaijin wrote:
dmiles2186 wrote:All I ask of the Blues is that they show up and leave it all out there like they have most of the series (save for the 2nd period of Game 6). If they go down swinging, it'll be tough to swallow but at least they gave it a go.
If they show up, I don't think they will have to go down swinging because our best is good enough to beat the Hawks.

I won't, however, be pleased with "at least they gave it a go." There's been three straight years of that, and I just won't accept it anymore.

Not that my feelings about the situation make much difference. :wink:
I'm not saying I'll be pleased with it...it's just a little easier to stomach if they just get beat by a team that was better. This isn't a case of Minnesota running over us last year (which I'm still angry about). I want to believe this team is different, but they have to show me, but I also have no problem tipping my hat to a team if we bring our A game and they just have to be better.

F Keenan
All-Star
All-Star

Post by F Keenan »

Biggest game I can remember in 20 years. Picked up some nosebleed seats before the playoffs started. Please god just win this one boys. :goblues: :letsgoblues:
*I tend to only post on this site when I'm intoxicated.

Misc. Blues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Misc. Blues »

It's been almost 30 years (May 12, 1986) since the last Monday Night Miracle...maybe it's time for another one...

:letsgoblues: :goblues:
2016-2017 official sponsor of Alex Pietrangelo (aka Captain Pie)
2015-2016 official sponsor of Jori Lehtera (aka Yorry)
2014-2015 official sponsor of Jay Bouwmeester (aka Jay-bo)
I hate the Shitcago "Black Holes"©®™...they really suck that much...
The Detoilet "dude bangs" ©®™... suck too...repeatedly and more often... ;)

Portland Blues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Portland Blues »

This is like waiting for an unpleasant dental appointment to finally arrive - drop the damn puck so we can all move on. :goblues:

fargoblues
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by fargoblues »

Crowd pucker factor: 11/10. Higher if Hawks score first.

Only one thing to do... WIN.
Official LGB Sponsor of Bernie Federko's Stonewashed Jeans, Custom Cabinets, and cold Busch Light.

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

Even if they win, you give up that many shots to Dallas as they're letting Chicago get and it's sweep city. I'm not holding my breath.

5-0 Chicago, post mortem discussion tomorrow.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

Here's the only statistics you need to know for tonight:

Since 2012 in the playoffs:

Following a loss: Blues are 4-11, Blackhawks are 17-10
When facing elimination: Blues are 0-4, Blackhawks are 10-2.

GEE GUYS WHAT'S GONNA HAPPEN?!

Blackhawks 6
Blues 1
Official 2021-2022 LGB Sponsor of Torey Krug
Official 2021 LGB Sponsor of Brayden Schenn
Official 2018-2019 LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2018 LGB Playoff Challenge Champ
Official 2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
Official 2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Scottie Upshall
Official 2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

Since 2001 the Blues are 2-0 on Apr 25th vs the Blackhawks in Elimination games. :)
(2-1 overall vs Chicago on 4/25 since 2001)

Oh wait - that's when Coach Q was the Blues head coach.

Portland Blues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Portland Blues »

theohall wrote:Since 2001 the Blues are 2-0 on Apr 25th vs the Blackhawks in Elimination games. :)
(2-1 overall vs Chicago on 4/25 since 2001)

Oh wait - that's when Coach Q was the Blues head coach.
Good enough for me - I'm betting my entire retirement account on a Blues win.

:lol: