Possible 2016-2017 Coaches

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

Toasted Oates
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Re: Possible 2016-2017 Coaches

Post by Toasted Oates »

Who's excited for Rick Wilson and Darryl Sydor? If Hitchcock would have hit the bricks a year ago this organization would be much better off in the coaching dept.

By all accounts, Muller was a big loss. The players leaned on him and he provided credible leadership.

But hey, getting all Ken's '99 boys back together should work perfectly.
2016-2017 LGB sponsor of your boy, goaltender Jake Allen and a center for Vladi Tarasenko (UPDATE: FOUND! Ryan O' Reilly. July 1, 2018).
2017-2018 LGB sponsor of a damn fine rearguard, Capt. Alex Pietrangelo.
2018-2019 LGB sponsor of the 2nd greatest Joel in Blues history, #6 Joel "Eddy" Edmundson.

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

Maybe, just maybe... and this is probably very wishful thinking, Brett Hull will come down to the bench and take over? A team with as much young offensive talent as this needed a guy like Muller who convinced Hitch to let them loose(ish). Theoretically, what better guy to help a bunch of great young forwards reach their offensive potential than Brett Hull himself? Also, this gives you a built in coach for when Hitch is done. One year learning the ropes as an AC, working specifically on offense, and then he gets promoted the season after.

You want to talk about Hitch getting the 99 boys together again, Hull was one of them, don't forget. And lord knows Hull listened to Hitch, I mean he got him to play defense for crying out loud.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

I'm not sure Hull is made for the bench and honestly, I think he's more valuable boozing and schmoozing potential sponsors, starring in promos, being the front office's face to the public.

There's still a chance Muller could come back as head coach next year. I hope at least. He's been here and knows Army, so surely that list will include his name (unless he gets a job elsewhere). I was fine w/ Hitch coming back but losing Shaw and Muller is making me re-think that.

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

glen a richter wrote:Maybe, just maybe... and this is probably very wishful thinking, Brett Hull will come down to the bench and take over? A team with as much young offensive talent as this needed a guy like Muller who convinced Hitch to let them loose(ish). Theoretically, what better guy to help a bunch of great young forwards reach their offensive potential than Brett Hull himself? Also, this gives you a built in coach for when Hitch is done. One year learning the ropes as an AC, working specifically on offense, and then he gets promoted the season after.

You want to talk about Hitch getting the 99 boys together again, Hull was one of them, don't forget. And lord knows Hull listened to Hitch, I mean he got him to play defense for crying out loud.
You can't be serious. How much coaching experience does Brett Hull have at any level? I'm pretty sure it's zero and you expect him to be the answer as an assistant and future HC both starting at the NHL level?? You might as well pencil in the Blues missed the playoffs if you want to go with an ex-player with no coaching experience to get them past the SCF considering how much experience was on the bench that got them this far this season.

We all saw how valuable Hull's advice was to Fabbri. "Change the tape, kid." He changed it. It didn't help anything. He switched back and immediately scored. FYI there are several scorers in the NHL using white tape these days.
Official LGB sponsor of Robert Thomas 2022-2023 Season

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

I'm not a fan of Hull behind the bench either. He was a great goal-scorer. Being a head coach requires a different skillset. Maybe he has both skillsets, but if he did I imagine he'd already be coaching somewhere.
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2016-2017 Official LGB Sponsor of Dmitri Jaskin
2017-2018 Official LGB Sponsor of Jake Allen

ComradeT
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by ComradeT »

Mike Yeo has been approached about the assistant-to-be-head-coach stint, per JR.

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/hockey/p ... 153a5.html
2018 - 2019 Official sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
2017 - 2018 Official sponsor of Joel "Top Shelf" Edmundson
2016 - 2017 Official sponsor of Nail "THE YAK" Yakupov

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

Yeo? NO, NO NO NO NO NO! Absolutely not! You think Hitch plays defense first and only? Wait until Yeo. Dude is a terrible coach. Absolutely atrocious coach. That's like taking ten steps backwards.

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/canadiens- ... --nhl.html

Safe to assume that now Muller won't be re-available next offseason.

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

glen a richter wrote:http://sports.yahoo.com/news/canadiens- ... --nhl.html

Safe to assume that now Muller won't be re-available next offseason.
Seeing as STL offers him the same no guarantee of a job 1-year deal they gave Hitchcock, I'd have to assume - and yes that means making an *** of U and ME, they gave him some contractual guarantees beyond 1 year. Considering the disaster that befell Therrien after the Canadiens ridiculous start and Bergevin's support of the HC he hired, I will not be surprised if Muller is the next Habs head coach.
Official LGB sponsor of Robert Thomas 2022-2023 Season

fargoblues
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by fargoblues »

glen a richter wrote:Yeo? NO, NO NO NO NO NO! Absolutely not! You think Hitch plays defense first and only? Wait until Yeo. Dude is a terrible coach. Absolutely atrocious coach. That's like taking ten steps backwards.
Glen is absofuckinglutely spot on here

Official LGB Sponsor of Bernie Federko's Stonewashed Jeans, Custom Cabinets, and cold Busch Light.

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

The things I've read about Yeo make me less than excited as well. I think St. Louis would be a little different in the lockerroom, but it sounds like the Minnesota lockerrom was divided between young and old players because of all the preferential treatment he gave the old ones.
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2016-2017 Official LGB Sponsor of Dmitri Jaskin
2017-2018 Official LGB Sponsor of Jake Allen

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

cardsfan04 wrote:The things I've read about Yeo make me less than excited as well. I think St. Louis would be a little different in the lockerroom, but it sounds like the Minnesota lockerrom was divided between young and old players because of all the preferential treatment he gave the old ones.
Sound like someone we know?