Possible 2016-2017 Coaches

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

gaijin
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Possible 2016-2017 Coaches

Post by gaijin »

Since Hitch is on a one-year contract and is likely not here next season, we may as well start a thread about possible coaches for the 2016-2017 season.

I know several other people have also tossed out a variety of names that might be available, and I thought this might be a good space to consolidate and discuss.

Just heard that Calgary let Bob Hartley go, one year after he won the Jack Adams Trophy. Any interest there?

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Re: Possible 2016-2017 Coaches

Post by cardsfan04 »

I think Hitch will be back next year. The rumors I've heard of him being done have been fan-created. It's not far-fetched that he'll retire, but I think he'll back.
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2016-2017 Official LGB Sponsor of Dmitri Jaskin
2017-2018 Official LGB Sponsor of Jake Allen

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

Bob Hartley - no. I wouldn't be surprised if Calgary announces Lowry as their next head coach, so he will be off the table.

Go with new blood like the Flyers have done. College coaches have had far more experience coaching teams without the center red line that the veteran re-tread NHL coaches. They've also had more experience coaching teams which are similar to the rules following the lockout - interference, the light hooking and holding calls, etc.

Here are some interesting names:

Kelly Nobes (CIS) - started same place as Mike Babcock, Guy Boucher, and Martin Raymond. Been successful with every team he's coached.

John Hynes (Wilkesbury-Scranton) - 2nd quickest to 100 wins in the AHL. Worked his way up through the US development program. Won AHL coach of the year in his first year at Wilkesbury-Scranton.

Phillippe Boucher (Quebec Ramparts QMJHL). Replaced Roy when he left for the Avalanche head coaching job. Is working as GM/coach, recognizes talent and acquires it, has best home record in the QMJHL. Would be an interesting choice.
Official LGB sponsor of Robert Thomas 2022-2023 Season

tjk002
2nd Line Scorer
2nd Line Scorer

Post by tjk002 »

i believe, Hitch will be back, but if he's not, I would prefer someone with ties to the Blues organization. I agree with trying someone new. I'd like to see Doug Weight given a try.

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

Dave Lowry, end of story.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

gaijin
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by gaijin »

tjk002 wrote:i believe, Hitch will be back, but if he's not, I would prefer someone with ties to the Blues organization. I agree with trying someone new. I'd like to see Doug Weight given a try.
I'm not opposed to someone with ties to the organization, but I place coaching ability as being more important. Not saying Weight (or Hull or MacInnis or whomever) would be bad, but what coaching experience do they have and how successful have they been in those positions?

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

glen a richter wrote:Dave Lowry, end of story.
Like I said, I would not be surprised if he becomes Calgary's coach before the playoffs are over. It was odd for Calgary to wait that long to fire Hartley, unless they already have someone in mind.

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

Whomever hires Lowry will be getting a coach who will get that team scoring in bundles. I hope it's the Blues, I can definitely get why it would be Calgary.

Hull may well be a good option, but I tend to think about Wayne Gretzky's epic failure as a head coach. Just because someone was a great player doesn't necessarily lead to them also being a great coach. In a beautiful world, you have Hull, MacInnis and CuJo all coaching in some capacity. I know CuJo has experience as a goalie coach at the lower levels. This is reality though, not a beautiful world, and you can't just base your hires on local legends. I suggest Lowry because he has a lot of experience turning teams into winners.

I think they may reach into the college ranks, same as the Flyers did, but I also think any decision will be dependent on whether or not they win the Cup. Will they want to go with yet another "experienced" hand or will they be willing to take a chance with some new blood to work with a team that will probably consist of some new blood itself? It's probably safe to assume that over the next few seasons this team has Glenn Gawdin, Adam Musil, Samuel Blais and McKenzie MacEachern moving in place of some of our existing older core. It's safe to assume that Walman, Dunn, Vanelli and Schmaltz will all have a shot at making Bouwmeester, Gunnarsson, Shattenkirk and Pietrangelo names from the past. Do you want to make an inexperienced hire with the likelihood of a third of your team being replaced by inexperienced players?

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

Pietrangelo is only 26. He's not going anywhere for the next 10 years, probably, and they say NHL players hit their prime at ~28. Defenseman always seem to be able to play longer.

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

It's dangerous to assume that a team spent to the cap will just happen to find a way to keep everyone together. I could easily see Pietrangelo, Shattenkirk, Schwartz and Backes all gone in bits and pieces over the next few years. And that's only listing the not-obvious candidates to be off the team soon.

Kerfuffle
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by Kerfuffle »

gaijin wrote:Since Hitch is on a one-year contract and is likely not here next season, we may as well start a thread about possible coaches for the 2016-2017 season.
It all depends on how you guys finish. Win the cup? He stays - no question about it - no one wins a cup and runs the coach out of town. If he gets the Blues first cup ever he will not only be retained but immortalized.

Makes it to 4th round and loses? I still think he stays.

Loss in 2nd or 3rd round? He's gone

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

Kerfuffle wrote:
gaijin wrote:Since Hitch is on a one-year contract and is likely not here next season, we may as well start a thread about possible coaches for the 2016-2017 season.
It all depends on how you guys finish. Win the cup? He stays - no question about it - no one wins a cup and runs the coach out of town. If he gets the Blues first cup ever he will not only be retained but immortalized.

Makes it to 4th round and loses? I still think he stays.

Loss in 2nd or 3rd round? He's gone
Strictly from a win percentage standpoint, Hitch has experienced his greatest regular season success with the Blues. It would be difficult for him to do any better as a regular season coach than he already has, sporting a .667 win %. Getting one more Cup, not to mention immortal status in St. Louis as you said, and going out a winner would be a logical step. I'm 110% confident if the Blues win the Cup, Hitch steps aside and takes on another role in the organization.

ecbm
All-Star
All-Star

Post by ecbm »

I honestly get the feeling that if the Blues don't at least make the finals-and even if they lose there-Hitchcock will retire.

gaijin
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by gaijin »

Boudreau hired by Minnesota. Guy Boucher hired by Ottawa.

Darryl Sutter is reportedly "undecided" about returning to the Kings, even though there is an offer on the table for him.

goon attack
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by goon attack »

Kerfuffle wrote: Win the cup? He stays - no question about it
See, "LaRussa, Tony, 2011"
Official 2023-'24 Sponsor of: Dua Lipa, Craig Berube, and yoga pants

'22-'23: Kim Wexler; '21-'22: Slayyyter; '21: fat chicks and covid-19; '19-'20: Taco Bell's Spicy Tostada (discontinued); '18-'19: Bhad Bhabie; '17-'18 Pitbull.'16-'17: Donald J. Trump, Black Lives Matter, and Karlie Kloss; '15-'16: the Hadids; '14-'15: $17.8+ trillion U.S. national debt; '13-'14: another season of bitter disappointment; '13: communism; '11-'12: Vlad Sobotka and fake, drunken lesbianism; '10-'11: Ryan Reaves, Bo Derek's cans, Willow Palin, and the new Lightning logo; '09-'10: the epic destruction of the Politics Forum; '08-'09: Sandy Miller

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

goon attack wrote:
Kerfuffle wrote: Win the cup? He stays - no question about it
See, "LaRussa, Tony, 2011"
Yup. I can totally see Hitchcock retiring if he wins the cup this year.
LETS GO BLUES RADIO
LIVE weekly broadcasts on YouTube & http://www.LetsGoBlues.com/radio!
Twitter: https://twitter.com/curtprice
Lets Go Blues Radio Twitter: https://twitter.com/lgbradio
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cprice12/
Lets Go Blues Radio Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lgbradio/

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

gaijin wrote:Boudreau hired by Minnesota. Guy Boucher hired by Ottawa.

Darryl Sutter is reportedly "undecided" about returning to the Kings, even though there is an offer on the table for him.
Rumor about Sutter is Anaheim is talking to him. Darryl Sutter and the Ducks GM have a history.

Marc Crawford going to Ottawa as an assistant to Boucher. Maybe that will prevent a repeat of the 1-3-1 trap Flyers/Lightning game in which Pronger just stood in his own zone with the puck for darn near 3 minutes.

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

Not Hitchcock.

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

Scratch John Hynes from that list. He coached Team USA in the World Championships this year. Having watched all of the Team USA World Championship games and several of the Finland games, his penalty kill unit was the only "passive" unit on the 8 teams which made it to the Quarter Finals. Every PK unit on the other seven teams attacked the puck the way the Blues current PK does while Team USA was overly passive even in the neutral zone barely challenging entries when short-handed at all. That won't fly with what will still be the majority of this Blues team next season.

Toasted Oates
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by Toasted Oates »

Travis Green, but he'll probably end up in Anaheim. I'd be on board with Glen's boy Dave Lowry also.

Hitchcock just gets more and more endearing. They asked him last night about the Sharks and he mentioned their "buy in." Hahaha. When the boys win, it's him. When they don't, once again, it's because they didn't buy in.

This team succeeded in spite of him. He was bailed out by spectacular goaltending, from a goaltender he NEVER would have given the reigns if not for an injury.

Look at the remaining 3 teams. All coaching changes in the last couple years with little to no fan fare. A new voice can do wonders and it doesn't have to be a vet.

The Blues are SO close. But I think they've gone as far as they can with Hitchcock as head coach.
2016-2017 LGB sponsor of your boy, goaltender Jake Allen and a center for Vladi Tarasenko (UPDATE: FOUND! Ryan O' Reilly. July 1, 2018).
2017-2018 LGB sponsor of a damn fine rearguard, Capt. Alex Pietrangelo.
2018-2019 LGB sponsor of the 2nd greatest Joel in Blues history, #6 Joel "Eddy" Edmundson.