GDT Game 7: 5/11/16 | 7:00PM CST | @ Stars | NBCSN/Y98

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

beat2life
Rookie
Rookie

Re: GDT Game 7: 5/11/16 | 7:00PM CST | @ Stars | NBCSN/Y98

Post by beat2life »

cprice12 wrote:
StL Dan wrote:
cardsfan04 wrote:
StL Dan wrote:
theohall wrote:Berglund's goal deflected off of one of the Stars. Lehtonen failed to react to the deflection at all.

Stastny's goal was a true softie. He put it between Lehtonen and the post down low. There is no way there should have ever been a gap where that puck went.

Backes goal was a plain snipe, just like Janmark's goal in Game 6 which several here called soft, when it was just a plain snipe. So criticizing the announcer for calling the Backes goal soft when some here called the same type goal by Janmark from Game 6 soft? C'mon man!
I'll watch Bergie's goal again...didn't realize it was deflected. Good timing on the shot none the less. Not sure Lehtonen was prepared for it positionally.

I like his timing on the goals he's scored...and the shots he seems to take even when he doesn't score.
I didn't notice the deflection either. To me it was a shot from near the blue line without much traffic in front of him which is why I said it was soft. I'd have to see the deflection, but that does change things a little I guess. But, still, there was very little in front of him. None of the 4 pucks that got by Lehtonen left me thinking, "There's nothing he could have done there."
ya, just watched it again. NBC doesn't slow that one down from an angle that makes a deflection obvious. so, hard to tell for sure from what i can see. Lehtonen was surprised though. he was deep in the blue. didn't come out at all to cut angle.
They said a couple times that it was deflected...but I never saw it. The puck didn't seem to change directions from the angles we saw, and the puck didn't seem to flutter after the supposed deflection either.
I'm not so sure it was deflected...but we'd need a different camera angle to be sure.
Definitely deflected. I remember watching live and thinking, "Damn, Lehtonen just can't get a break." And his reaction to the goal said it all. Did anyone DVR it?

tjk002
2nd Line Scorer
2nd Line Scorer

Post by tjk002 »

beat2life wrote:
cprice12 wrote:
StL Dan wrote:
cardsfan04 wrote:
StL Dan wrote:
theohall wrote:Berglund's goal deflected off of one of the Stars. Lehtonen failed to react to the deflection at all.

Stastny's goal was a true softie. He put it between Lehtonen and the post down low. There is no way there should have ever been a gap where that puck went.

Backes goal was a plain snipe, just like Janmark's goal in Game 6 which several here called soft, when it was just a plain snipe. So criticizing the announcer for calling the Backes goal soft when some here called the same type goal by Janmark from Game 6 soft? C'mon man!
I'll watch Bergie's goal again...didn't realize it was deflected. Good timing on the shot none the less. Not sure Lehtonen was prepared for it positionally.

I like his timing on the goals he's scored...and the shots he seems to take even when he doesn't score.
I didn't notice the deflection either. To me it was a shot from near the blue line without much traffic in front of him which is why I said it was soft. I'd have to see the deflection, but that does change things a little I guess. But, still, there was very little in front of him. None of the 4 pucks that got by Lehtonen left me thinking, "There's nothing he could have done there."
ya, just watched it again. NBC doesn't slow that one down from an angle that makes a deflection obvious. so, hard to tell for sure from what i can see. Lehtonen was surprised though. he was deep in the blue. didn't come out at all to cut angle.
They said a couple times that it was deflected...but I never saw it. The puck didn't seem to change directions from the angles we saw, and the puck didn't seem to flutter after the supposed deflection either.
I'm not so sure it was deflected...but we'd need a different camera angle to be sure.
Definitely deflected. I remember watching live and thinking, "Damn, Lehtonen just can't get a break." And his reaction to the goal said it all. Did anyone DVR it?
Yes, I did. It was deflected, but just barely and stop the rising of the puck and sent it ever so slightly on a downward trajectory from the deflection point.

goon attack
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by goon attack »

cardsfan04 wrote: I thought the Berglund goal was pretty soft as well.
Oh yeah, duh... forgot about that one. Two soft goals in a row, I agree.

The recalled one though... I think that could have happened to anyone... even Ken Dryden on meth.
Official 2023-'24 Sponsor of: Dua Lipa, Craig Berube, and yoga pants

'22-'23: Kim Wexler; '21-'22: Slayyyter; '21: fat chicks and covid-19; '19-'20: Taco Bell's Spicy Tostada (discontinued); '18-'19: Bhad Bhabie; '17-'18 Pitbull.'16-'17: Donald J. Trump, Black Lives Matter, and Karlie Kloss; '15-'16: the Hadids; '14-'15: $17.8+ trillion U.S. national debt; '13-'14: another season of bitter disappointment; '13: communism; '11-'12: Vlad Sobotka and fake, drunken lesbianism; '10-'11: Ryan Reaves, Bo Derek's cans, Willow Palin, and the new Lightning logo; '09-'10: the epic destruction of the Politics Forum; '08-'09: Sandy Miller

fargoblues
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by fargoblues »

goon attack wrote:
cardsfan04 wrote: I thought the Berglund goal was pretty soft as well.
Oh yeah, duh... forgot about that one. Two soft goals in a row, I agree.

The recalled one though... I think that could have happened to anyone... even Ken Dryden on meth.
Grant Fuhr on cocaine?
Official LGB Sponsor of Bernie Federko's Stonewashed Jeans, Custom Cabinets, and cold Busch Light.

goon attack
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by goon attack »

fargoblues wrote: Grant Fuhr on cocaine?
Dominik Hasek on PCP.

'22-'23: Kim Wexler; '21-'22: Slayyyter; '21: fat chicks and covid-19; '19-'20: Taco Bell's Spicy Tostada (discontinued); '18-'19: Bhad Bhabie; '17-'18 Pitbull.'16-'17: Donald J. Trump, Black Lives Matter, and Karlie Kloss; '15-'16: the Hadids; '14-'15: $17.8+ trillion U.S. national debt; '13-'14: another season of bitter disappointment; '13: communism; '11-'12: Vlad Sobotka and fake, drunken lesbianism; '10-'11: Ryan Reaves, Bo Derek's cans, Willow Palin, and the new Lightning logo; '09-'10: the epic destruction of the Politics Forum; '08-'09: Sandy Miller

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

How great is it that a GDT about Game 7 of the 2nd round was hijacked by a discussion on which goals were soft and which goals weren't...and it was the Blues who scored them? :mrgreen:

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

Portland Blues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Portland Blues »

goon attack wrote:
Dominik Hasek on PCP.
You've obviously never witnessed Patrick Roy backstop a game on bath salts. Unbelievable!

ComradeT
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by ComradeT »

Portland Blues wrote:
goon attack wrote:
Dominik Hasek on PCP.
You've obviously never witnessed Patrick Roy backstop a game on bath salts. Unbelievable!
When was he not on bath salts? :mrgreen:
2018 - 2019 Official sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
2017 - 2018 Official sponsor of Joel "Top Shelf" Edmundson
2016 - 2017 Official sponsor of Nail "THE YAK" Yakupov

Portland Blues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Portland Blues »

ComradeT wrote:
Portland Blues wrote:
goon attack wrote:
Dominik Hasek on PCP.
When was he not on bath salts? :mrgreen:
Only during those "domestic" situations he was arrested for at home. :lol:

goon attack
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by goon attack »

I won't even log in here unless I'm on bath salts. Can you guys tell?

Portland Blues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Portland Blues »

goon attack wrote:I won't even log in here unless I'm on bath salts. Can you guys tell?
I still get mine from DJ King. He says "hello Goon attack" by the way.

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

cprice12 wrote:
StL Dan wrote:
cardsfan04 wrote:
StL Dan wrote:

Best video showing the deflection was on NHL Network.
Official LGB sponsor of Robert Thomas 2022-2023 Season

goon attack
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by goon attack »

Portland Blues wrote:
goon attack wrote:I won't even log in here unless I'm on bath salts. Can you guys tell?
I still get mine from DJ King. He says "hello Goon attack" by the way.
What the...?

Kerfuffle
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by Kerfuffle »

When's game 1 in St Louis? Have they released the date by you guys? I'm guessing Saturday

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

Kerfuffle wrote:When's game 1 in St Louis? Have they released the date by you guys? I'm guessing Saturday
Sunday at 7.
https://twitter.com/andystrickland/status/730591987129155585

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

That Game 4 start time favors the Blues. Starting at 6 ET on a Saturday is 3 in the afternoon PT. So Blues playing a "night" game while the Sharks are playing an "afternoon" game.

gaijin
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by gaijin »

theohall wrote:That Game 4 start time favors the Blues. Starting at 6 ET on a Saturday is 3 in the afternoon PT. So Blues playing a "night" game while the Sharks are playing an "afternoon" game.
It's 7:15 Eastern, so 4:15 Pacific. But yes, I do like that start time much better.

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

To the #Bang guy...

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

dmiles2186 wrote:How great is it that a GDT about Game 7 of the 2nd round was hijacked by a discussion on which goals were soft and which goals weren't...and it was the Blues who scored them? :mrgreen:
Like I said way back earlier in this thread: I have never seen a hockey game where almost literally every single bounce in those first two periods went the Blues' way. Almost every single one.

Stars couldn't buy a goal. I'm not said about it but that first period was not a 3-0 period strictly in terms of on-ice player performance. Not at all.
Official 2021-2022 LGB Sponsor of Torey Krug
Official 2021 LGB Sponsor of Brayden Schenn
Official 2018-2019 LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2018 LGB Playoff Challenge Champ
Official 2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
Official 2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Scottie Upshall
Official 2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

WaukeeBlues wrote:
dmiles2186 wrote:How great is it that a GDT about Game 7 of the 2nd round was hijacked by a discussion on which goals were soft and which goals weren't...and it was the Blues who scored them? :mrgreen:
Like I said way back earlier in this thread: I have never seen a hockey game where almost literally every single bounce in those first two periods went the Blues' way. Almost every single one.

Stars couldn't buy a goal. I'm not said about it but that first period was not a 3-0 period strictly in terms of on-ice player performance. Not at all.
Which is something Lindy Ruff hinted at in his post game press conference, especially when mediots were trying to assign blame.