GDT Game 2: 5/17/16 | 7:00PM CST | v Sharks | NBCSN/Y98

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

Toasted Oates
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Re: GDT Game 2: 5/17/16 | 7:00PM CST | v Sharks | NBCSN/Y98

Post by Toasted Oates »

I'd settle for the Game 7 @ Dallas lines that he went back to too late last night:
17-20-91
15-26-36
21-12-42

Not that the 4th line makes or breaks this squad, but give 23 another shot since he, ya know, actually scored a playoff goal.
10-28-23

Get a lead and lean on their asses. Make Thornton and their big guns play 20+ minutes.

Get. A. Lead.

The road warriors will get a victory before they leave Cali.
2016-2017 LGB sponsor of your boy, goaltender Jake Allen and a center for Vladi Tarasenko (UPDATE: FOUND! Ryan O' Reilly. July 1, 2018).
2017-2018 LGB sponsor of a damn fine rearguard, Capt. Alex Pietrangelo.
2018-2019 LGB sponsor of the 2nd greatest Joel in Blues history, #6 Joel "Eddy" Edmundson.

Kerfuffle
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by Kerfuffle »

cprice12 wrote: I'm not mad...just disappointed in how they played in the biggest game in 15 years.
Interestins - why do you call game 2 the biggest game in 15 years? I would say both game 7s were much more important. If the Blues dropped game 1 to San Jose then yes game 2 at home would have been like a game 7 in which the Blues had to win to avoid losing the first 2 at home in the series. But the Blues won game 1 so game 2 while still important was by no means a must win game.

Portland Blues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Portland Blues »

Kerfuffle wrote:
cprice12 wrote: I'm not mad...just disappointed in how they played in the biggest game in 15 years.
Interestins - why do you call game 2 the biggest game in 15 years? I would say both game 7s were much more important. If the Blues dropped game 1 to San Jose then yes game 2 at home would have been like a game 7 in which the Blues had to win to avoid losing the first 2 at home in the series. But the Blues won game 1 so game 2 while still important was by no means a must win game.
I'm not sure if Curt sees it the same way, but in my mind since we haven't been this far in so many years each one we get to play becomes a bigger and bigger game. Each loss is seemingly more painful as who knows how long it could be before we even get this far again. I'm not real excited about waiting until 2031 to reach the conference finals again. :grin:

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

Kerfuffle wrote:
Agreed.

I would argue the Game 7 against the Blackhawks was the most important game in St. Louis Blues recent history going back easily to the last time the Blues made it to the conference finals in 2001 if not earlier. I know for me personally it was the most nervous I have ever been before a sporting event, ever, even counting the games I've played in as an amateur athlete up to and including the college level. Then again I think it's very different as a fan vs participant.

I really cannot think of one single game in the last 15 years where the direction of the Blues franchise could've swung so far to one direction or the other depending on the outcome of a single game.

To say nothing of the fans collective sanity.

Quite honestly whatever the Blues do from here on out is gravy to me. We're back.
WE'RE F**KING BACK

If we beat the Sharks and go on to the Cup Finals I don't even know what emotions I have left to describe it. I'll be in a state of happy bewilderment. If we drop this series I'm still very happy with the immense growth this team has FINALLY showed in the playoffs when it counts. Had we lost to the Stars I would've been very disappointed because the Blues were the better team in that series for sure. This one I don't think we are.
Official 2021-2022 LGB Sponsor of Torey Krug
Official 2021 LGB Sponsor of Brayden Schenn
Official 2018-2019 LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2018 LGB Playoff Challenge Champ
Official 2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
Official 2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Scottie Upshall
Official 2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

Kerfuffle wrote:
I get what you are saying, and I'm not saying the games vs. the Hawks weren't important...they were very important...and one could argue that game 7 vs. the Hawks gave the Blues the confidence they have needed for years...but with that said, it was still just round 1. I just said game 2 in the WCF was the biggest game in 15 years because the goal is to win the cup, and going up 2-0 in the WCF would have been huge. Granted, losing the game isn't the worst thing in the world by any means...the series is only 1-1, but winning the game would have been monumental and would have really opened the door to getting to the finals having a 2-0 lead in the series. That's why I put so much emphasis on that game.
At this point though, a number of these games could be considered the biggest game in 15 years.
Oddly enough...I do not consider tonight's game a monumental game. A big game, yes...but the minimum goal here is to split in San Jose, and losing game 3 still means we can do that.
However game 3 shakes out, game 4 will be a gigantic game for either team.
LETS GO BLUES RADIO
LIVE weekly broadcasts on YouTube & http://www.LetsGoBlues.com/radio!
Twitter: https://twitter.com/curtprice
Lets Go Blues Radio Twitter: https://twitter.com/lgbradio
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cprice12/
Lets Go Blues Radio Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lgbradio/

ecbm
All-Star
All-Star

Post by ecbm »

Kreegz2 wrote:
Kerfuffle wrote:
Kreegz2 wrote:Reaves needs to play next game. Give him a bunch of early shifts and have him take runs at the defensemen in their own zone. Put the fear of being hit into them early and hard. The Sharks were way too comfortable in their own zone last night, which translated into fluid zone exits and speedy offensive zone entries. We need to force them to turn the puck over in their own zone and Reaves is the type that will set the example for everyone else to follow.
I don't agree - that was Ott's role and didn't work out too well and he kept taking dumb penalties. I don't believe a physical attack is the answer for San Jose which is not a physical team themselves. And the refs have shown they are quick with the whistle in this series and Reaves may be on a short leash and end up in the box like Ott. I would go with another player if I was coaching.
That is a reflection on Ott, not the role. Ott isn't a particularly strong hitter, he's just a shit-disturber. The hits he does make are often mistimed or downright stupid. Reaves is a hard hitter, but he is also a smart hitter. He needs to lay 2 or 3 solid checks while forechecking in the first 10 minutes and it will put fear into the Sharks defense when they are moving the puck the puck in their own zone.
Yeah, I think you're absolutely right. Also, I really think this makes a difference-Reaves is willing to fight while Ott is not, and that leads to Ott's greater tendency toward cheap shots and penalties. And I feel like that indiscipline infects the rest of the team.

abc789987
All-Star
All-Star

Post by abc789987 »

ecbm wrote:
Kreegz2 wrote:
Kerfuffle wrote:
Kreegz2 wrote:Reaves needs to play next game. Give him a bunch of early shifts and have him take runs at the defensemen in their own zone. Put the fear of being hit into them early and hard. The Sharks were way too comfortable in their own zone last night, which translated into fluid zone exits and speedy offensive zone entries. We need to force them to turn the puck over in their own zone and Reaves is the type that will set the example for everyone else to follow.
I don't agree - that was Ott's role and didn't work out too well and he kept taking dumb penalties. I don't believe a physical attack is the answer for San Jose which is not a physical team themselves. And the refs have shown they are quick with the whistle in this series and Reaves may be on a short leash and end up in the box like Ott. I would go with another player if I was coaching.
That is a reflection on Ott, not the role. Ott isn't a particularly strong hitter, he's just a shit-disturber. The hits he does make are often mistimed or downright stupid. Reaves is a hard hitter, but he is also a smart hitter. He needs to lay 2 or 3 solid checks while forechecking in the first 10 minutes and it will put fear into the Sharks defense when they are moving the puck the puck in their own zone.
Yeah, I think you're absolutely right. Also, I really think this makes a difference-Reaves is willing to fight while Ott is not, and that leads to Ott's greater tendency toward cheap shots and penalties. And I feel like that indiscipline infects the rest of the team.
It seemed like Ott's reputation was well known. The ref's had an eye on him and we're going to let him get away with his shenanigans.