GDT Game 3: 5/19/16 | 8:00PM CST | @ Sharks | NBCSN/Y98

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

StL Dan
2nd Line Scorer
2nd Line Scorer

Re: GDT Game 3: 5/19/16 | 8:00PM CST | @ Sharks | NBCSN/Y98

Post by StL Dan »

I've been extremely impressed with the Sharks ability to completely choke off any passing and shooting lanes.
2019-20 LGB Sponsor of The Schwartz
2018-19 LGB Sponsor of The Schwartz
2017-18 LGB Sponsor of The Schwartz

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

dmiles2186 wrote:It's tough to tell where the line ends for the Sharks' play, imposing their well, controlling possession and the line begins for the Blues and whatever they're doing. The Blues look gassed. But even that aside, they're missing wide open passes, they're giving up odd man rushes and seems like most are ending up in the back of the net. The bounces aren't going their way.

I still have faith they'll flip the switch, but they've not shown it at all in 3 games. They've been outplayed in all three and they're a few posts from being down 3-0 in the biggest series this franchise has had in 15 years. And the thing is, clearly the players aren't just quitting. Why would you when most of them haven't been this far? The Sharks are out-Bluesing the Blues and so far, we don't have an answer for it.

The concerning thing is that this series reminds me of the 2nd round series against the Kings in 2012. We're not making Jones work, it doesn't feel like we're going to score, and everything feels like an uphill battle. The Blues are losing board battles, faceoffs, quality chances, and the hitting game.

And was anyone else really, really, really annoyed that the Blues showed more heart, passion, and fire in the final 5 minutes with no goalie than they had almost the entire series (and still couldn't get a goal)?
I was simultaneously annoyed and optimistic by it. Why did it take so long to get some pressure, but at least they showed they could do it I guess.

I said before the game (and after) that a game 2 repeat would lose my confidence going forward. That's still somewhat true. I know what I saw the last 2 game and it reminds me of playoffs past that ended poorly (which I guess is redundant). I'm a little more hopeful today than I was last night though. If they can steal game 4, maybe we take control again.
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2016-2017 Official LGB Sponsor of Dmitri Jaskin
2017-2018 Official LGB Sponsor of Jake Allen

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

StL Dan wrote:I've been extremely impressed with the Sharks ability to completely choke off any passing and shooting lanes.
Over the last 2 games they have played fantastic defensive hockey.
LETS GO BLUES RADIO
LIVE weekly broadcasts on YouTube & http://www.LetsGoBlues.com/radio!
Twitter: https://twitter.com/curtprice
Lets Go Blues Radio Twitter: https://twitter.com/lgbradio
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cprice12/
Lets Go Blues Radio Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lgbradio/

Kerfuffle
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by Kerfuffle »

dmiles2186 wrote: And was anyone else really, really, really annoyed that the Blues showed more heart, passion, and fire in the final 5 minutes with no goalie than they had almost the entire series (and still couldn't get a goal)?
Agreed and good point. The Blues were playing in desperation mode for the final 5 minutes which showed me they can turn up the intensity and they actually looked really good there but it was too late in the game. The question is why weren't they able to play that way when the game started - I have no idea. Hopefully they aren't just content making it to the 3rd round and that's what we're seeing. They have all the pieces to win it all but only played 5 min out of the 60 the way they are capable of. All on Hitch now - gotta find that spark again. And the core needs to step up and lead by example.

Blues media was tough too on Hitch in postgame conference. I liked that Hitch cut off the one reporter and reminded him it was only game 3. The questions being asked seemed to be all doom and gloom so kudos to Hitch for shutting that down. I'm used to that as a Cubs fan cause everyone here is just waiting to fail and the negative attitude doesn't help even when it's the local media feeding it.

heff
Rookie
Rookie

Post by heff »

Oaklandblue wrote:I don't blame Hitch for these guys not doing zip. I'm tired of that excuse. Play the game Hitch has provided, do your job and make things happen.
Thanks, Mrs. Hitchcock.

Kerfluffle, I don't understand why you're here.

ecbm
All-Star
All-Star

Post by ecbm »

The Sharks are a good team-but they're not nearly as good as the Blues have made them look over the last couple games. Obviously, an 82-game season (or really, even longer spans can be considered) shows relative quality levels better than 3 games of a playoff series. The Blues are at least as good at hockey as San Jose and probably better. But between the Blues' lack of jump (who knows why that is) and a failure to make adjustments, the Sharks have been incomparable over 120 minutes of hockey. Addressing both of those problems is on the coach and the team leadership.

Hitchcock's job depends on game 4 for me. MAKE SOME GODDAMN ADJUSTMENTS. If he can't, if he can't get them over this hump-again, we're not down against the Sharks because they're just sooooooooooooooo much more talented and an opponent against whom we can't expect to win-then I don't care if it's "his fault". A squad this talented has high aspirations and to reach those, yeah, a coach who adds some value in the crunch would be nice. Not too much to ask.

To make it clear though-I'm very disappointed with the lack of influence on this series by Backes, Schwartz and Tarasenko so far. Also, after going 0-4, I really hope we won't be seeing Shattenkirk moved over to accommodate Bortuzzo anymore. Common sense, right? If it hurts, stop doing that, yeah?

Kerfuffle
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by Kerfuffle »

heff wrote: Kerfluffle, I don't understand why you're here.
I've been here over 2 years and most people know me well here by now - which is more I can say about your 20 posts and only showing up here for playoff round 3 to join the bandwagon.

StL Dan
2nd Line Scorer
2nd Line Scorer

Post by StL Dan »

Kerfuffle wrote:
I've been here over 2 years and most people know me well here by now - which is more I can say about your 20 posts and only showing up here for playoff round 3 to join the bandwagon.
What bandwagon?

Oaklandblue
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Oaklandblue »

heff wrote:
Oaklandblue wrote:I don't blame Hitch for these guys not doing zip. I'm tired of that excuse. Play the game Hitch has provided, do your job and make things happen.
Thanks, Common Sense.

Ftfy. The Sharks aren't better, our guys are just playing like trash and the Sharks are playing our game. That's why we're getting shut out.

I was very concerned about the offense before coming into this series and had my concerns pretty much laughed at. This team is one step to playing to the Cup and they're playing like this?

2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Alexander Steen
2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Jaromir Jagr, Calgary Flames
2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Brian Elliott, Calgary Flames
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Ryan "Turn that leaf on the wind into a shrimp on the bar-bee" Reaves
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Obviously Not Steve Ott
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Steve "Chirps-A-Lot" Ott
2015 LGB Supporter of the New York Rangers
2014-2015 LGB Sponsor of Patrik "No-Timer" Berglund
2013-2014 LGB Sponsor of Derek "In The Middle" Roy
2012-2013 LGB Sponsor of Chris "NO SLEEP TIL THE CUP!" Stewart - Shhhhh!!!

StL Dan
2nd Line Scorer
2nd Line Scorer

Post by StL Dan »

Oaklandblue wrote:
heff wrote:
Thanks, Common Sense.

Ftfy. The Sharks aren't better, our guys are just playing like trash and the Sharks are playing our game. That's why we're getting shut out.

I was very concerned about the offense before coming into this series and had my concerns pretty much laughed at. This team is one step to playing to the Cup and they're playing like this?

If the Sharks aren't "better" in some way than the Blues, then they wouldn't be up 2-1 after three games.

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

StL Dan wrote:
Oaklandblue wrote:
heff wrote:
Thanks, Common Sense.

If the Sharks aren't "better" in some way than the Blues, then they wouldn't be up 2-1 after three games.
I don't think that's true. 3 game samples don't tell you much. Expanding it to 6 games to include the regular season still doesn't tell you much. I think what their 2-1 lead has shown is that the Sharks have PLAYED better than us. I still think we're a better team.

Oaklandblue
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Oaklandblue »

cardsfan04 wrote:
StL Dan wrote:
Oaklandblue wrote:
heff wrote:
Thanks, Common Sense.

I don't think that's true. 3 game samples don't tell you much. Expanding it to 6 games to include the regular season still doesn't tell you much. I think what their 2-1 lead has shown is that the Sharks have PLAYED better than us. I still think we're a better team.
:plusplus:
2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Alexander Steen
2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Jaromir Jagr, Calgary Flames
2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Brian Elliott, Calgary Flames
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Ryan "Turn that leaf on the wind into a shrimp on the bar-bee" Reaves
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Obviously Not Steve Ott
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Steve "Chirps-A-Lot" Ott
2015 LGB Supporter of the New York Rangers
2014-2015 LGB Sponsor of Patrik "No-Timer" Berglund
2013-2014 LGB Sponsor of Derek "In The Middle" Roy
2012-2013 LGB Sponsor of Chris "NO SLEEP TIL THE CUP!" Stewart - Shhhhh!!!

abc789987
All-Star
All-Star

Post by abc789987 »

Saturday night can't come soon enough. I'm ready to put these two games behind us.

This team has been bi-polar all season, playing like crap one day or period then blowing shit up the next. I just hope we swing the other way pretty soon.

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

This team has seemed like they need their back shoved against the wall to really kick it up a notch. I'm hoping that's what will happen here. A 3-1 deficit will be hard to come back from.

Anyone buying into the narrative that if this team would have been able to close down the Hawks and Stars in a quicker fashion, maybe they'd have more giddy up in this series?

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

dmiles2186 wrote:This team has seemed like they need their back shoved against the wall to really kick it up a notch. I'm hoping that's what will happen here. A 3-1 deficit will be hard to come back from.

Anyone buying into the narrative that if this team would have been able to close down the Hawks and Stars in a quicker fashion, maybe they'd have more giddy up in this series?
I'm not. Sharks only went 5 vs Kings, but went 7 vs Preds. They've played 94 games vs our 96 (not counting this series). I get why people say the team looks gassed. They are playing the way that a gassed team would play. I don't think that's the issue though. I think they're just playing poorly. And SJ is playing really well, don't want to discount their part in this. Time for them to man up and play how they're capable.

Portland Blues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Portland Blues »

cardsfan04 wrote:Image
:lol:

StL Dan
2nd Line Scorer
2nd Line Scorer

Post by StL Dan »

Oaklandblue wrote:
cardsfan04 wrote:
StL Dan wrote:
Oaklandblue wrote:
heff wrote:
Thanks, Common Sense.

:plusplus:
Sure, call it what you like. The better team advances. And, ultimately, the better team will play better. Hopefully, the Blues confirm our opinion that the Blues are the better team when this series is over.

heff
Rookie
Rookie

Post by heff »

Kerfuffle wrote:
I lurk. I watch the regular season. Been a blues fan since 1990.

What I don't do is become a member of a Blackhawks message board and post like my opinion is wanted or valued. Your shtick is off-putting, and obvious with its intent.

heff
Rookie
Rookie

Post by heff »

Oaklandblue wrote:
heff wrote:
Thanks, Common Sense.

You play a certain way for 82 games.

Then the playoffs come.

And your modus operandi no longer works (unless your Goalie goes into God mode and you defeat a better team in Round 1).

It's on Hitch/Army. Has been for a long while now.