Mike Yeo - Blues future head coach.

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Mike Yeo - Blues future head coach.

Post by theohall »

The good - he's won Championships at every level except the NHL.
The bad - still believes his system will work in the NHL

Reading all of the below, this is a horrible hire for the Blues. Yeo believes he doesn't need to change which means continued over-reliance on veterans in spite of the talent on the Blues being on the younger end of the equation. Fabbri is going to be screwed under this coach. Hell, Armstrong needs to get rid of everyone over 26 and force Yeo to actually coach.

The Blues have basically re-hired a younger version of Hithcock, one that doesn't believe he needs to change, even though Hitchcock after a ridiculous number of years coaching realized he had to change and free up the team offensively.

Hope I am wrong, but do not expect to be.

Stuff from two articles - a Q&A and another on the likely reasons he was fired.

Star Tribune Mike Yeo Q & A
In the last week, some guys have said that they don’t have to play as defensively. Is that an unfair criticism, or a convenient one, or is your system too defensive? “That’s up to everybody. For me personally, I will not change. We spent more time working on offense, talking about offense in my time here. Before the trade rumors and before things started to go south, we were I think eighth in the league in offense. And we’re doing that without guys that get 100 points a year. We were doing that collectively through our lineup, so that to me tells me that the game that we were playing can produce offense. I look last year, I think we were fifth in the league in 5-on-5 offense, so I don’t buy that one bit. And not to mention, I’ve said this right from the start and I’ve said this to the players and I’ve said this to the fans, my goal was not to be a good regular-season team. My goal was to win the Stanley Cup. And you look at the Stanley Cup last year and you think of those two offensive powerhouses – Chicago and Tampa Bay – and it’s the Finals every game for the most part of a 2-1 game or a 1-0 game. So I wouldn’t change a single thing about that.”

How would you describe your system? Players now say they have more freedom, a green light to go? Did they under you, too? “Oh God, yeah. But I would say as things started to get worse, when we were giving up goals against, what were we going to say? Stop turning the puck over and bear down defensively? Year after year since I’ve been here, we’ve been one of the top defensive teams in the league in terms of shots against, quality of shots against and we give ourselves a chance to win every single night. So, it’ll take me some time to reevaluate, to figure it out. I mean, if they go out and score five goals a night for every game the rest of the year, then I was wrong. But the way that I saw it, I felt that the way we were built, we didn’t have guys who traditionally or historically have gotten 100 points a year. I didn’t feel that we were built that way. I knew that we could create offense. We had produced, but I knew that our bread and butter had to be defense, or at least that was my opinion.”

Did Parise’s frustrated attitude disappoint you? “I’ve had a couple really good conversations with Zach. What we’re talking about right now is what we also love about him. He is a fierce competitor. I truly believe that with a lot of us, a lot of our greatest strengths also come out as our greatest weaknesses. You could say that I’m maybe too loyal, but that’s also one of my greatest strengths. You could also point to a guy like Zach and the passion he has and the work ethic and the pride he plays with. It can surface the other way too. It’s been a frustrating time and I’m way past any kind of disappointment or frustration toward anybody. I’m ready to move on.”

How do you look at the annual midseason slumps? “I don’t know. I’ve looked at it a couple different ways and seen a couple different things. I think that I’ve seen fatigue play a part in it. You ask me to describe our system – our system is aggressive. People can say we’re defensive, but I don’t want to be a team backing up. I’m an aggressive, attacking, in your face hard working team. If we lose a little bit of that playing an aggressive game, the worst thing you can do is be in between. And it felt like some times we were a little in between. I look at it – we for the most part since my time here, one thing I’ve seen is if we’re going to win, we have to be on it. It doesn’t take much for you to be off it. I felt there are some teams that maybe can be off it for a little bit, but can go score five or six goals a night. We didn’t seem to be one of those teams.”

What is going forward? Is the goal to find a head coaching stuff? “Without question. There’s not a doubt in my mind that I’m a head coach in the National Hockey League. There’s not one. I will say when this first happened, it buckled me. I’ve been in this game 20-some odd years and I’d never been traded or fired. To have those kind of feelings all the sudden, it hit me hard. I was in Colorado this week visiting my daughter and I woke up one morning and all the sudden I was back. I am so motivated right now it’s not even funny.

"Maybe one thing I regret is I’m not a self promoter. I’m not a guy who is going to talk about the things I did to help us win. When we win, I’m going to talk about the players and what they did. I believe that’s the correct way to go about things. I think when they win, you want them feeling good about it, you want their confidence. I never wanted to make it about me, but I know that I’ve done a lot of really good things here. Even this year I was the third youngest coach in the league, but look at the experience I have. Somebody who is looking for a head coach, if they want experience, I’ve got it. If they want somebody who is young and hungry, I’ve got it. I guess more than anything else, I’ve got the fire. And I’m a winner. Everywhere I’ve gone at every level. As a player, assistant coach, head coach, I’ve won. This is the only place that I’ve been where I haven’t gone to the finals or won a championship. And I think I just ran out of time for that.”
Alec Schmidt of SB Nation on Why Yeo Was Fired
Over-reliance on Aging Veterans

For most Wild fans, I would wager that this would be the number one complaint regarding Yeo's coaching tenure. Whether it was the ineffective power play, last minute pushes for tying goals, or overtime, under Yeo the most vital minutes were always reserved for the likes of Zach Parise, Mikko Koivu, Jason Pominville, Thomas Vanek and Ryan Suter. The young talents like Jason Zucker, Nino Niederreiter, Charlie Coyle, Jared Spurgeon,Matt Dumba, consistently found themselves on the outside looking in. Over the past couple of years, Yeo did not adapt to the decline of his veterans and seemed completely unwilling to trust "the kids" in expanded roles. Zucker, a natural goal-scorer and the fastest player on the team was rarely used in 3-on-3 overtime, yet Yeo found time to deploy Jarret Stoll. Also, Zucker is 11th in the entire league in Goals/60 at 5v5 since the lockout, yet seemed unable to go more than five games without a goal before finding himself on the fourth line. Meanwhile, Pominville, who has had a career-worst start to this season, saw top six minutes up until the final game of Yeo's tenure, when he was demoted to the fourth line... for one period.

Awful Power Play

Yeo's reliance on his vets was not isolated to even strength play. Over the past two years, Yeo refused to make significant changes to a stagnant 26th ranked power play. It would seemingly take 10 game goalless stretches on the power play before Yeo even considered moving one of his veterans off of the power play. And if a minor tweak like *gasp*, putting one of the younger guys on the first unit didn't provide results in the first game, Yeo went back to pounding those veteran square pegs into the round hole of the power play.

Most telling of an inability to craft a successful power play perhaps, was that Dumba, who is easily the most dynamic offensive player on the team did not see significant power play time up until a couple of weeks ago. Dumba had more shots on the power play in a single game against Tampa Bay on January 2nd than Pominville has had on the power play in the past 26 games. Incredible, considering they play the same position on the power play.

Inability to Foster Offensive Talent

In 2012, Corey Pronman, a well respected source on all things prospects, had the Wild 4th overall in his rankings of organizational prospect talent. Most notable of those prospects was Mikael Granlund, who Pronman had ranked #1 in the world. When Granlund got off to a slow start in Minnesota, Yeo's response was to stick the diminutive center on the 4th line where he was supposed to learn to play "the right way". Granlund was also alternated from center to the wing multiple times. We'll never know if under different direction, Granlund could have developed into the star he was touted to be, but it is abundantly clear that Yeo added little to no value to Granlund's career.

Yeo's response to any short stretch of below average games from his talented youngsters -be it Nino, Zucker, or Coyle- was to heavily reduce their ice time by putting them on the fourth line, or just to scratch them, instead of providing avenues to get out of their scoring slumps. Yeo showed little faith in his youngsters by reducing their role and it is no wonder fans repeatedly wondered why their players played with such fleeting confidence.

Yeo's offensive woes were not limited to the youngsters either. Vanek and Pominville came to this team as proven goal-scorers. Yes, they arrived after their peak offensive years, but these guys were in their late twenties, very early 30's when they got here. For players that never relied on foot-speed to create offense, any immediate regression should have been minimal. Yeo was determined to develop Vanek's defensive game instead of supporting his desperately needed, though at times frustrating, creativity with the puck.

The arguments that Yeo wasn't given enough talent to succeed are myopic and short-sighted. Yeo came to a team bubbling with young talent and the lack of development of said talent should fall directly at his feet. Of course there are a few contracts Chuck Fletcher would like to take back, but that does not excuse the lack of any kind of breakout from the young forwards. No team in the league is going to win without significant contributions from young players and it is up to the coach to ensure those young players have the best opportunity to succeed.
Official LGB sponsor of Robert Thomas 2022-2023 Season

Toasted Oates
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Re: Mike Yeo - Blues future head coach.

Post by Toasted Oates »

There has to be a chance he learned from his mistakes in Minnesota and he'll be a better coach the 2nd time around.

He may have leaned on the vets, but it didn't do him much good. Parise and Suter turned on him and hired Adam Oates as a "power play consultant." We'll see if that experience left a lasting impression.

I remember Granlund, Zucker, and Dumba were great against the Blues in that infamous '15 playoff series. It certainly didn't seem he was holding them back, but I confess I'm not brushed up on their TOI in those playoffs. Those 3 sure killed the Blues, though.

Mike Russo of the Minneapolis Star Tribune was on local radio and sang Yeo's praises but also mentioned how Minnesota's power play "stunk" when he was coach and Pittsburgh's PP "stunk" when he was in charge of it. Admittedly, that's a concern as the Blues power play was pretty solid under Kirk Muller.

Is this the most exciting hire? Not really, I guess, but he's young and hungry. Right now that's good enough for this stupid fan, but I'll reserve the right to call for his head if he slips. Ken certainly isn't let off the hook by the masses for his mistakes.
2016-2017 LGB sponsor of your boy, goaltender Jake Allen and a center for Vladi Tarasenko (UPDATE: FOUND! Ryan O' Reilly. July 1, 2018).
2017-2018 LGB sponsor of a damn fine rearguard, Capt. Alex Pietrangelo.
2018-2019 LGB sponsor of the 2nd greatest Joel in Blues history, #6 Joel "Eddy" Edmundson.

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

Toasted Oates wrote:I remember Granlund, Zucker, and Dumba were great against the Blues in that infamous '15 playoff series. It certainly didn't seem he was holding them back, but I confess I'm not brushed up on their TOI in those playoffs. Those 3 sure killed the Blues, though.
This is the point. He quit using them in 15-16 like he did in the '15 playoffs. Gave them less ice time. Took them off the power play. Scratched them when healthy. All in favor of veterans who were not playing as well. While at the same time having the skilled offensive minded veterans focus on playing defense at the expense of their offensive skill (Vanek).

And in his Q&A he's insisting his methods work, in spite of the end result after 5 years - a team playing worse under his methods, not better.

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

If I'm Jaden Schwartz I'm seriously considering how interested I am in a long term contract with this team.

My opinion? Two of the best coaches in the league are sitting down there in Florida. Gallant in Miami and Cooper in Tampa. We're making coaching decisions that are, at best, parallel changes. More likely, steps backwards. Yeo won't make the full 4 years, mark it down.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

Also bear in mind this first year he'll be associate coach. Maybe Hitch can teach him a thing or nine.

He'll get plenty of time to see where the talent is on this team and where it isn't. By the time Yeo takes the reigns as the head coach, for all we know, the "kids" we're talking about now will be the veterans. He has to see that Fabbri & Parayko in particular and others to a lesser degree had amazing coming out parties last year and he'll get to see it a full year before he takes charge.

That gives me some hope he'll get familiarized with what's what by the time he takes over.

Totally agreed on the "parallel moves" comment but truly unless you're hiring a dark horse like the Flyers did last year and want to go in uncharted territory, who else is really out there? Guys like Quenneville and Cooper are taken for a reason.

As always, we'll see...
Official 2021-2022 LGB Sponsor of Torey Krug
Official 2021 LGB Sponsor of Brayden Schenn
Official 2018-2019 LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2018 LGB Playoff Challenge Champ
Official 2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
Official 2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Scottie Upshall
Official 2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

That we're hoping for Yeo to learn "a thing or nine" from Hitch worries me even more. Hitch finally learned a thing or nine from Muller and now Muller is gone. In his stead is a Hitch protegee (Wilson) and Yeo... a guy who loves defense and overplays veterans even more than Hitch does or ever did.

May as well re-sign Ott and Brodziak, because that's where this team is headed for the next four.

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

theohall wrote:The good - he's won Championships at every level except the NHL.
Not as a head coach, but Yeo was an assistant on the Penguins team that won the Cup in '09.

I posted this in the Hitchcock thread where this discussion started but I'll repost here with a few additions.

I'm a little conflicted. It's not an exciting hire, that's for sure. But looking at his numbers: 35-36-11 his first year, 26-19-3 during the lockout year, 43-27-12, 46-28-8, and then 23-22-10 before being fire. All told: 173-132-44 for 390 points in 349 games.

He missed the playoffs that first year, then lost 3 straight times to the Blackhawks, which is a tough draw for anyone. First one was in the first round, the next two were in the 2nd round. But twice they were the lower seed (once against us, unfortunately) and won their first round matchup.

The guy is a year and a half away from coaching his first game for the Blues. I'm not going to completely write this group off now because it's way too far ahead of the games actually being played. Yeo is 42, so he's a young guy. And the thing is, sometimes it takes a guy getting fired for him to see what he was doing wrong and correct it. He's young enough that he could make some adjustments to his coaching style. Plus, he's got a year to get a feel for the locker room, the players, the organization, so that's all positive to me.

I'm going to try to be optimistic about this.

On the /r/hockey subreddit thread about this, there were several Wild fans saying that Yeo with the Blues' talented roster could work wonders. Only time will tell there, but it's hard to write this off in June of 2016 when he won't even take over as our head coach until October 2017 (well, when the games count that is). My only fear is that there will be a 'big' name to hit the market next year that we'll have missed out on because of this deal. But...it's possible the only way we get a coach like Yeo is promising him the gig in the future.

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

fargoblues
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by fargoblues »

Up here in the nort-land, I've been treated to local media coverage of the Wild and Yeo on a routine basis. To say I am underwhelmed by this hire would be putting it mildly.

About the only nice thing I can think of about his style is that he does have a slant towards playing with pure unadulterated speed to go with his defensive shell and miserable power play. Oops there I go again.

I hope for the best but I'm just not seeing it.

Having said that, it's a bright sunny day outside. Bring on the duckies and bunnies.
Official LGB Sponsor of Bernie Federko's Stonewashed Jeans, Custom Cabinets, and cold Busch Light.

gaijin
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by gaijin »

Over-reliance on Aging Veterans
Awful Power Play

This is almost verbatim what we said about Hitchcock for several years until this year. Not thrilled to bring on a guy who seems to be cut from the same cloth.

That said, Hitch's team did play a different system this year, indicating that even the oldest dogs can learn a new trick or two. Hopefully (as someone mentioned above) Yeo has learned a thing or two from being let go in MN.

We'll just have to see.

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

I flat out hate this hire. There, I said it.
LETS GO BLUES RADIO
LIVE weekly broadcasts on YouTube & http://www.LetsGoBlues.com/radio!
Twitter: https://twitter.com/curtprice
Lets Go Blues Radio Twitter: https://twitter.com/lgbradio
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cprice12/
Lets Go Blues Radio Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lgbradio/

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

gaijin wrote:Over-reliance on Aging Veterans
Awful Power Play

This is almost verbatim what we said about Hitchcock for several years until this year. Not thrilled to bring on a guy who seems to be cut from the same cloth.

That said, Hitch's team did play a different system this year, indicating that even the oldest dogs can learn a new trick or two. Hopefully (as someone mentioned above) Yeo has learned a thing or two from being let go in MN.

We'll just have to see.
Hitch's team played a different style this year because Muller convinced him to let the offense loose a little bit. I will grant that Yeo does offer a style of hockey that features faster skating which can be real good for this roster. But, I see more of the same with blowing 3rd period leads by going into defensive shells. When you're up 2-1 after the second period, you should be aiming to go up 4-1 during the third. Remember the immortal quote from the Mighty Ducks "It's not worth winning if you can't win big." This isn't bantam, this is professional. Given the choice of trying to hold a lead or trying to build on a lead, they should be trying to build on it every single period. I just fear we'll be looking at more 40 minute games.

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

Everyone keeps saying old dogs can learn a new trick or two. Read Yeo's own words in the Q&A.

He doesn't think he was doing anything wrong, even after being fired, and is convinced his method of coaching will win. He lists reasons for why he believes his method was working, in spite of the facts surrounding the team in it's 5th year and faltering.

Don't see a 43 year old coach changing his style or attitude based on his own words. It's Hitchcock when Hitchcock was 42 coaching the same style Hitchcock did when Hitchcock was 42.

The Penguins were one of the top scoring teams in the league after Sullivan took over. They actually wound up 3rd in goals scored in spite of their horrible start. The Sharks were 4th in the league in scoring. Meanwhile, Yeo is talking about these playoffs and how the scores are low so defense is what matters most. Read the damn Q&A. Yeo is 100% convinced his defensive first system will win a Cup. He's a 90s coach in the post-lockout era. Meaning more 1st round exits.

Just to point out how it's not defense anymore.... the 2 Cup Finalists - SJ 20th in goals allowed while the Penguins were 25th in goals allowed. But Yeo claims defense will win Championships still.

This is a HORRIBLE hire.

How do we reach Stillman do bitch about this?
Last edited by theohall on Tue Jun 14, 2016 9:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

theohall wrote:
No joke, I was actually considering penning a strongly worded letter to him about how this irritates me not only as a Blues fan, but especially as an out of town Blues fan who would love just once to have something to be happy about in a region dominated by Rangers and Islanders fans.

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

glen a richter wrote:
theohall wrote:
No joke, I was actually considering penning a strongly worded letter to him about how this irritates me not only as a Blues fan, but especially as an out of town Blues fan who would love just once to have something to be happy about in a region dominated by Rangers and Islanders fans.
Links for email and snail mail

Don't know who it will get to, but it's somewhere to go.

ecbm
All-Star
All-Star

Post by ecbm »

theohall wrote:And in his Q&A he's insisting his methods work, in spite of the end result after 5 years - a team playing worse under his methods, not better.
Yeah, this is what I thought, I mean:
Before the trade rumors and before things started to go south, we were I think eighth in the league in offense.
Yeah, yeah, yeah-don't tell me how much you were up, tell me how much you had when you left the casino.

Minnesota were 20th in the league in goals per game when Yeo was-rightly, especially given the results after he left-shitcanned.

I'm really, really disillusioned with this move. Why would they do this? Doesn't the club want to get a good look at him before they, you know, commit to him being in the one of their three most influential jobs? Or has this now full become the Hitchcock-Armstrong Hockey Club as opposed to the St. Louis Blues, to be run however those two see fit?

I just don't get it. The only possible mitigating factor I see here is that Muller also came as a failed HC who couldn't run a power play on a team with dubious talent.

ecbm
All-Star
All-Star

Post by ecbm »

theohall wrote:Just to point out how it's not defense anymore.... the 2 Cup Finalists - SJ 20th in goals allowed while the Penguins were 25th in goals allowed. But Yeo claims defense will win Championships still.
As I mentioned before: this hire coming on the heels of that SCF is really disheartening. This looks like a committed decision to try to play 90s hockey in a league that very very clearly does not reward it anymore. Look around, Stillman-the Kings and Ducks were eliminated early too and the Bruins didn't even make the playoffs. All while the under-sized Lightning and the Sharks and Penguins with their no-name D corps make hay.

:facepalm:

Oaklandblue
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Oaklandblue »

I'm Including my Blues jerseys in today's weekly trash pickup. Frank this organization.
2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Alexander Steen
2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Jaromir Jagr, Calgary Flames
2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Brian Elliott, Calgary Flames
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Ryan "Turn that leaf on the wind into a shrimp on the bar-bee" Reaves
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Obviously Not Steve Ott
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Steve "Chirps-A-Lot" Ott
2015 LGB Supporter of the New York Rangers
2014-2015 LGB Sponsor of Patrik "No-Timer" Berglund
2013-2014 LGB Sponsor of Derek "In The Middle" Roy
2012-2013 LGB Sponsor of Chris "NO SLEEP TIL THE CUP!" Stewart - Shhhhh!!!

Toasted Oates
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by Toasted Oates »

Hahaha I love the salt. This truly is a miserable bunch.
2016-2017 LGB sponsor of your boy, goaltender Jake Allen and a center for Vladi Tarasenko (UPDATE: FOUND! Ryan O' Reilly. July 1, 2018).
2018-2019 LGB sponsor of the 2nd greatest Joel in Blues history, #6 Joel "Eddy" Edmundson.

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

theohall wrote:
glen a richter wrote:
theohall wrote:
Links for email and snail mail

Don't know who it will get to, but it's somewhere to go.
First franking sentence on that page: "The St. Louis Blues are committed to ensuring your satisfaction as a fan of our hockey club."

Really? Then pick a different heir to be coach!

Toasted Oates
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by Toasted Oates »

theohall wrote:Everyone keeps saying old dogs can learn a new trick or two. Read Yeo's own words in the Q&A.

He doesn't think he was doing anything wrong, even after being fired, and is convinced his method of coaching will win. He lists reasons for why he believes his method was working, in spite of the facts surrounding the team in it's 5th year and faltering.

Don't see a 43 year old coach changing his style or attitude based on his own words. It's Hitchcock when Hitchcock was 42 coaching the same style Hitchcock did when Hitchcock was 42.

The Penguins were one of the top scoring teams in the league after Sullivan took over. They actually wound up 3rd in goals scored in spite of their horrible start. The Sharks were 4th in the league in scoring. Meanwhile, Yeo is talking about these playoffs and how the scores are low so defense is what matters most. Read the damn Q&A. Yeo is 100% convinced his defensive first system will win a Cup. He's a 90s coach in the post-lockout era. Meaning more 1st round exits.

Just to point out how it's not defense anymore.... the 2 Cup Finalists - SJ 20th in goals allowed while the Penguins were 25th in goals allowed. But Yeo claims defense will win Championships still.

This is a HORRIBLE hire.

To be fair, that Q&A was a few days after he was fired. He wasn't talking about "these playoffs" because they hadn't happened yet.

Also, there's this quote from yesterday:
"You learn a great deal from your successes,” Yeo said, “but I think oftentimes you learn even more from your failures. I had almost a different feel about myself two weeks after I had lost my job and had a chance to look back and reflect on things I might do differently. I think part of it is you go into a new situation just much better equipped than you are the first time around. I think I evolved and grew while I was in Minnesota. … I feel going into this situation I’m in a much different place and have much more in the bank as far as knowledge about how to deal with certain situations and where that can take you.”
http://m.stltoday.com/sports/hockey/pro ... 431d5.html

You are locked in on hating this guy, which is fine. I think I'll let him work a little before before putting him to the sword, though. If it's the same ole, well....that will suck.

I'm with with you in that the organization can't help but see what made the Penguins successful and draw from that. If they still don't believe in that brand of hockey or aren't convinced they have the personnel to play it, the coach isn't the only person that should take the fall.