Free Agent Moves and Major Trades

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

Kerfuffle
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Free Agent Moves and Major Trades

Post by Kerfuffle »

Thought I'd start a thread for us to use this summer to track the free agent moves around the NHL and any other major trades.

ecbm
All-Star
All-Star

Re: Free Agent Moves and Major Trades

Post by ecbm »

Alright then.

Chicago sends Bryan Bickell (and his $4M cap hit) and Teuvo Teravainen to Carolina for a 2nd in 2016 (50th overall, from the Rangers) and a 3rd in 2017.

Francis did some good business essentially turning Staal & next year's third rounder into Teravainen, a 2nd and a decent prospect. The read for Chicago is that this helps in retaining Shaw/Ladd. Could work for both but I dare say this is a part of the pinch of Kane's & Toews' deals. I'd have bought out Bickell as I think Teravainen probably has more to contribute than Ladd going forward.

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

ecbm wrote:Alright then.

Chicago sends Bryan Bickell (and his $4M cap hit) and Teuvo Teravainen to Carolina for a 2nd in 2016 (50th overall, from the Rangers) and a 3rd in 2017.

Francis did some good business essentially turning Staal & next year's third rounder into Teravainen, a 2nd and a decent prospect. The read for Chicago is that this helps in retaining Shaw/Ladd. Could work for both but I dare say this is a part of the pinch of Kane's & Toews' deals. I'd have bought out Bickell as I think Teravainen probably has more to contribute than Ladd going forward.
Shocked they moved Teravainen. But that maybe part of the impact of Panarin where Teravainen likely would have been playing had Panarin not shown up and done his thing.
Official LGB sponsor of Robert Thomas 2022-2023 Season

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

Dmitrij Jaskin signed a 2 year extension. Here's a guy who would thrive with an offensively creative coach. Good thing we have Hitchcock and Yeo.... oh wait. :doh:
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

gaijin
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by gaijin »

Coyotes acquire rights to Alex Goligoski from Stars for a 5th: http://thehockeywriters.com/arizona-coy ... las-stars/

Hurricanes extend Cam Ward- 2 years, $3.3 mil/yr: http://www.yardbarker.com/nhl/articles/ ... 0_21122449

ecbm
All-Star
All-Star

Post by ecbm »

Don't get the point to re-signing Jaskin given his usage but if Ott goes, fine.

The deal Ward (.907sv% last 4 seasons) got will make Brian Elliott (.919 over same period) happy as it looks to pretty much guarantee him a market at something like $5M per.
theohall wrote:Shocked they moved Teravainen. But that maybe part of the impact of Panarin where Teravainen likely would have been playing had Panarin not shown up and done his thing.
Sure but given how top-heavy they are in terms of salary you'd think they'd want to squeeze every last drop from young, effective, cost-controlled players. Put it this way-the emergence of Fabbri has in no way made me want to trade Schwartz. It's way too high a price to pay to shed Bickell-who only had one year left on his deal anyway. It looks like they're straight-up choosing older FAs over Teravainen. Very Hitchcock.

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

The Dallas Stars have to be smoking something fierce over there.

Goligoski was virtually their only veteran presence back there on the blueline. I know the young guys got a ton of experience this year but still I don't get dumping arguably your best defenseman when that position was a liability in the first place.

Whatever... :roll:
Official 2021-2022 LGB Sponsor of Torey Krug
Official 2021 LGB Sponsor of Brayden Schenn
Official 2018-2019 LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2018 LGB Playoff Challenge Champ
Official 2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
Official 2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Scottie Upshall
Official 2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

theohall wrote:
ecbm wrote:Alright then.

Shocked they moved Teravainen. But that maybe part of the impact of Panarin where Teravainen likely would have been playing had Panarin not shown up and done his thing.
They had to get that Bickell contract off their books. Had to. If that meant moving a young guy to get it done then that's just what had to happen. The sting is a little less for them since, as you point out, Panarin has emerged and will look to get paid next summer too.

For the first time I truly wonder how the Blackhawks are going to flesh out this roster this summer, honestly. As of June 18, all according to NHLnumbers.com, the Hawks have 8 forwards and 5 defensemen under contract for next year and $8.6 million in cap space.

My amazing math skills tell me that just to get a full team on the ice with nobody in the press box that's $1.72 million per player. Shaw's cap hit was $2 million and he's most likely going to be looking for a raise so when you consider that... Bowman is really going to have to find himself some bargains out there or suit up some kids on entry level deals. Speaking of which there was talk on NHL network radio the other day that Nick Schmaltz (our Jordan's younger brother) could make the jump straight into the Hawks lineup this year.

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

WaukeeBlues wrote:For the first time I truly wonder how the Blackhawks are going to flesh out this roster this summer, honestly. As of June 18, all according to NHLnumbers.com, the Hawks have 8 forwards and 5 defensemen under contract for next year and $8.6 million in cap space.

My amazing math skills tell me that just to get a full team on the ice with nobody in the press box that's $1.72 million per player. Shaw's cap hit was $2 million and he's most likely going to be looking for a raise so when you consider that... Bowman is really going to have to find himself some bargains out there or suit up some kids on entry level deals. Speaking of which there was talk on NHL network radio the other day that Nick Schmaltz (our Jordan's younger brother) could make the jump straight into the Hawks lineup this year.
Then Penguins were in a similar position last off-season with almost half of their salary cap tied up in just 4 players and having very little room to fill out something like 10-12 players. They won the damn Cup under that constraint.
Official LGB sponsor of Robert Thomas 2022-2023 Season

Kerfuffle
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by Kerfuffle »

WaukeeBlues wrote: They had to get that Bickell contract off their books. Had to. If that meant moving a young guy to get it done then that's just what had to happen. The sting is a little less for them since, as you point out, Panarin has emerged and will look to get paid next summer too.
That's exactly it - we knew that to dump Bickell we had to give up something good. I'm not upset losing Teuvo - I wasn't impressed with him so I like this deal. Shaw may be resign able for less money per year in exchange for a longer deal - ie 5 years

ecbm
All-Star
All-Star

Post by ecbm »

WaukeeBlues wrote:They had to get that Bickell contract off their books. Had to. If that meant moving a young guy to get it done then that's just what had to happen.
True, and that's my point. To have to move such a potentially useful player for one year of mid-to-large cap hit ($4M) doesn't strike me as ideal or totally voluntary. If anyone can make, though, it work it's Bowman.
Kerfuffle wrote:That's exactly it - we knew that to dump Bickell we had to give up something good. I'm not upset losing Teuvo - I wasn't impressed with him so I like this deal. Shaw may be resign able for less money per year in exchange for a longer deal - ie 5 years
Interesting perspective. I could see doing it for Shaw but I don't know. I think it's possible you lose him anyway. I certainly wouldn't have parted with Teravainen for Ladd. I've never seen what most people see in him.

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

theohall wrote:
WaukeeBlues wrote:For the first time I truly wonder how the Blackhawks are going to flesh out this roster this summer, honestly. As of June 18, all according to NHLnumbers.com, the Hawks have 8 forwards and 5 defensemen under contract for next year and $8.6 million in cap space.

Then Penguins were in a similar position last off-season with almost half of their salary cap tied up in just 4 players and having very little room to fill out something like 10-12 players. They won the damn Cup under that constraint.
True but they also received some unexpected depth and quality play from cheap entry level players on both offense (Rust, Khunackl, Sheary) and defense (everyone but Letang and Daley). It's the first cup champion I remember with a "no name" defense. To a man they all played out of their minds. Lovejoy is about to get paid because of it. I don't think the Hawks have that kind of cheap and readily available type of depth.

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

I'm curious what Lou is gonna do in Toronto with his goaltending situation. He just gave up two rather high picks to land Frederick Andersen. There's no way he would surrender those types of assets without every intention of making him the starter. Or so I would think.

Bernier is on the block now? One would think.

gaijin
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by gaijin »

Rights to Keith Yandle traded from Rangers to Panthers for a 6th Round pick (and a 4th if he signs with them).

http://nypost.com/2016/06/20/keith-yand ... -are-over/

Yandle's reaction:

ecbm
All-Star
All-Star

Post by ecbm »

WaukeeBlues wrote:I'm curious what Lou is gonna do in Toronto with his goaltending situation. He just gave up two rather high picks to land Frederick Andersen. There's no way he would surrender those types of assets without every intention of making him the starter. Or so I would think.

Bernier is on the block now? One would think.
They traded Reimer so Bernier's the only other goalie on their roster with NHL experience. If they have a kid they trust or get a scrap heap backup he'd be a nice piece for them to play-$4.1M owed to him for one more year. Looking at what goalies are getting, I'm guessing someone would be interested.
WaukeeBlues wrote:It's the first cup champion I remember with a "no name" defense.
The '06 Hurricanes D were pretty no-name. I think this will become more and more common.

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

https://twitter.com/nhlupdate/status/745033404031209472 https://twitter.com/nhlupdate/status/745033947298435072

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

I entirely expect Shattenkirk to be traded, maybe not to Edmonton for #4, but probably to Boston for #17. If that's the case, there better be more coming back than just #17.

Would #17 + #28 get you #3 from Columbus?

As far as Elliott, I think the best thing for him, moving forward, is to move forward. He increased his trade value with his playoff run and could be packaged for a scoring forward or a draft pick. I really don't think we're in a bad situation as far as goaltending goes. Allen is capable and another backup can be cheaper than Ells. Remember, it's all about signing Schwartz and Backes right now.

Calgary is the subject of intense rumors pertaining to acquiring a goalie and they have the #6. That would be intriguing, though Elliott alone doesn't get you the 6 while Shattenkirk alone will probably get you the 4. Elliott + Schmaltz + a pick later down the draft probably gets you the 6.

Kerfuffle
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by Kerfuffle »

Do you think Armstrong is going to try and sign Stamkos? A sign would be freeing up salary to accommodate him. So far rumor is he goes to Detroit but I always thought St Louis was in play for him as well.

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

Kerfuffle wrote:Do you think Armstrong is going to try and sign Stamkos? A sign would be freeing up salary to accommodate him. So far rumor is he goes to Detroit but I always thought St Louis was in play for him as well.
No chance. Zero. Money freed up will be going directly to definitely Schwartz and maybe Backes. There won't be any big FA splashes on this team for quite a while.

ComradeT
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by ComradeT »

glen a richter wrote:
Kerfuffle wrote:Do you think Armstrong is going to try and sign Stamkos? A sign would be freeing up salary to accommodate him. So far rumor is he goes to Detroit but I always thought St Louis was in play for him as well.
No chance. Zero. Money freed up will be going directly to definitely Schwartz and maybe Backes. There won't be any big FA splashes on this team for quite a while.
If my choice was between spending the same amount of dollars and cap on either re-signing Schwartz and Backes or signing Stamkos, assuming he was willing too, I would go for latter, no question about it.
2018 - 2019 Official sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
2017 - 2018 Official sponsor of Joel "Top Shelf" Edmundson
2016 - 2017 Official sponsor of Nail "THE YAK" Yakupov