Islanders moving again?

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Islanders moving again?

Post by glen a richter »

http://www.lighthousehockey.com/2016/7/ ... -yeah-sure

They should just up and move to Seattle, let Quebec have expansion team #32.

I can spit on Citi Field from my school, I drive past it twice a week going from my day school job to my night school job. I'm not especially sure how it'll work, though I guess they can share parking facilities with the Mets. If anything it might revitalize an area that still freakin' blows.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

ecbm
All-Star
All-Star

Re: Islanders moving again?

Post by ecbm »

glen a richter wrote:http://www.lighthousehockey.com/2016/7/ ... -yeah-sure

I can spit on Citi Field from my school, I drive past it twice a week going from my day school job to my night school job. I'm not especially sure how it'll work, though I guess they can share parking facilities with the Mets. If anything it might revitalize an area that still freakin' blows.
I could get on board with the Seattle/Quebec move but that isn't going to happen. The Islanders have a pedigree that means the NHL won't let them move. As for the area that still blows, yes, but where are we going to go for cut rate mechanics? Where, I ask?!

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

ecbm wrote:
glen a richter wrote:http://www.lighthousehockey.com/2016/7/ ... -yeah-sure

I could get on board with the Seattle/Quebec move but that isn't going to happen. The Islanders have a pedigree that means the NHL won't let them move. As for the area that still blows, yes, but where are we going to go for cut rate mechanics? Where, I ask?!
A guy I used to work with, he retired a couple years ago, always told the story of how his driver side mirror was stolen off his car. When he brought it over to one of the shops off of Northern Boulevard to see if he could get it replaced, they sold him one that had all the identical markings of the one that had previously been on his car. They stole his mirror and sold it back to him.

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

Considering Barclay's center sucks for hockey and has a horrible capacity (15,795), it's not in the Islanders best interests to stay there for any type of long term.

This isn't surprising at all. Nassau wouldn't build a new facility, they moved. (I know, the owners sucked and didn't really do anything to improve the team, so why build a stadium - this was the same as the St Louis Football Cardinals situation in the 80s). Barclay's Center, to me, was a stop-gap move all along, until they could find someplace to actually build a hockey facility.
Official LGB sponsor of Robert Thomas 2022-2023 Season

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

Queens is also considerably closer to their prior home than Brooklyn is so that'd be another good thing for the fans as well. Less of a commute.

Agreed on Barclays being a stopgap. I don't think anyone in that organization envisions that place being their long term home unless they made some considerable changes to the arena, which they won't do.
Official 2021-2022 LGB Sponsor of Torey Krug
Official 2021 LGB Sponsor of Brayden Schenn
Official 2018-2019 LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2018 LGB Playoff Challenge Champ
Official 2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
Official 2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Scottie Upshall
Official 2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

People go to Barclays via train. I'd imagine most fans would drive to a Queens arena which, if you've ever driven in Queens the time of night games would normally be, you'd rather take the train. Traffic on the Van Wyck is so notoriously awful it made it as a subplot in a Seinfeld episode. I'm not so sure being geographically closer to Nassau is necessarily a win for the fans.

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

glen a richter wrote:People go to Barclays via train. I'd imagine most fans would drive to a Queens arena which, if you've ever driven in Queens the time of night games would normally be, you'd rather take the train. Traffic on the Van Wyck is so notoriously awful it made it as a subplot in a Seinfeld episode. I'm not so sure being geographically closer to Nassau is necessarily a win for the fans.
And they haven't fixed that since the almost 20 years Seinfeld has been off the air??

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

theohall wrote:
glen a richter wrote:People go to Barclays via train. I'd imagine most fans would drive to a Queens arena which, if you've ever driven in Queens the time of night games would normally be, you'd rather take the train. Traffic on the Van Wyck is so notoriously awful it made it as a subplot in a Seinfeld episode. I'm not so sure being geographically closer to Nassau is necessarily a win for the fans.
And they haven't fixed that since the almost 20 years Seinfeld has been off the air??
When I got my first teaching job 12 years ago, I was sent from my interview at the school to a regional office 20 miles away to fill out some paperwork. Half of that trip was on the Van Wyck Expressway and that 10 mile stretch took me 3 hours. At least as far as the Mets are concerned, traffic does tend to ease up in the summer.

Nassau Coliseum is in a suburban area, and it was so-so trying to leave there after a game. Barclays, I've never been but I know it's right by a stop off the LI Snailroad which makes it a hell of a lot easier to get to. I mean as a technicality you don't have to drive to Citi Field and whatever the hockey arena would be called. I'd think most fans coming from the suburbs wouldn't go through the hassle of driving to Queens, parking away from the arena and taking the subway the rest of the way. Consider most Rangers fans are coming from out east and getting to MSG is a breeze. You hop on the train and it dumps you off right there. Just because something is closer isn't making it easier to get to.

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

I could continue with the smart ass comments about folks wanting to be NYers or bragging about NY, but you just about said enough for me already. ;)

ecbm
All-Star
All-Star

Post by ecbm »

Barclay's is a nice building but just doesn't have the sight lines for hockey. I can't see the owners giving up some it's already-limited capacity to fix that. Flushing makes perfect sense.

LIRR and the subway literally drop you off at the front door of Barclay's, which is nice when you plan on guzzling a shit-ton of overpriced beer and don't want to commit vehicular manslaughter...

StL Dan
2nd Line Scorer
2nd Line Scorer

Post by StL Dan »

ecbm wrote:Barclay's is a nice building but just doesn't have the sight lines for hockey. I can't see the owners giving up some it's already-limited capacity to fix that. Flushing makes perfect sense.

LIRR and the subway literally drop you off at the front door of Barclay's, which is nice when you plan on guzzling a shit-ton of overpriced beer and don't want to commit vehicular manslaughter...
How much are brewskies at Barclay's?

edit: I just googlemapped the Van Wyck.....shudder.....
2019-20 LGB Sponsor of The Schwartz
2018-19 LGB Sponsor of The Schwartz
2017-18 LGB Sponsor of The Schwartz