Fox sports go app

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

dern17
Prospect
Prospect

Fox sports go app

Post by dern17 »

I live in Ohio, and can't find the Blues on the app, is it only you're local Fox channels that you get on there?

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Re: Fox sports go app

Post by theohall »

dern17 wrote:I live in Ohio, and can't find the Blues on the app, is it only you're local Fox channels that you get on there?
Unfortunately, yes. And, of course, they will never mention this in their advertisements.
Official LGB sponsor of Robert Thomas 2022-2023 Season

gaijin
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by gaijin »

theohall wrote:
dern17 wrote:I live in Ohio, and can't find the Blues on the app, is it only you're local Fox channels that you get on there?
Unfortunately, yes. And, of course, they will never mention this in their advertisements.
Similar troubles with trying to watch games on NHL Gamecenter/NHL TV. We've cut the cable cord, so I cannot use anything like the Fox Sports or NBC Sports apps/websites without a cable subscription login, so a standalone service like NHL Gamecenter makes sense. HOWEVER, being active duty I have to live where the AF makes me, and it just so happens I am stationed in the viewing area of the one team I want to watch, so all the games are blacked out.

Hosed either way, unless I want to spend my kids' college savings on cable.

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

This was never mentioned in the commercial, so I downloaded the app onto my phone, found out I could only watch NY area Fox feeds and promptly deleted the app. What the heck good is it for me to download an app to watch channels I can already watch on TV?
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

glen a richter wrote:This was never mentioned in the commercial, so I downloaded the app onto my phone, found out I could only watch NY area Fox feeds and promptly deleted the app. What the heck good is it for me to download an app to watch channels I can already watch on TV?
They are trying to sell being able to watch the game anywhere, not just at home on your tv.

It's ashame whomever is pushing these apps doesn't realize the fortune they could make if they allowed out of area/non-cable tied subscriptions for these apps.

It only took HBO 4 years after launching HBO GO to add HBO Now as a standalone subscription which doesn't require cable. Of course, having the most pirated shows of any network anywhere in the world probably helped them make that decision.

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

The general rule of thumb with cable and regional sports networks are that if you get them, you can then watch on their corresponding apps and websites. If you are outside the viewing area, you cannot and will need to purchase the league's cable or streaming package to see it.

It sucks, but live sports are one of the few remaining money makers for cable networks and TV companies, so they protect that with as many rules as possible.

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

dmiles2186 wrote:The general rule of thumb with cable and regional sports networks are that if you get them, you can then watch on their corresponding apps and websites. If you are outside the viewing area, you cannot and will need to purchase the league's cable or streaming package to see it.

It sucks, but live sports are one of the few remaining money makers for cable networks and TV companies, so they protect that with as many rules as possible.
Meanwhile, they are losing those same dollars to mlb.tv, nhl.tv, etc. And that's nationwide money they are simply giving up on over keeping it local.

gaijin
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by gaijin »

I miss the games being on Channel 11. Especially now that I live in an area where I get Channel 11.