GDT #30: 12/13/16 | 7:00 PM CST | @ Predators | FSMW/KMOX

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

GDT #30: 12/13/16 | 7:00 PM CST | @ Predators | FSMW/KMOX

Post by theohall »

Chat with us here: BEST DAMN BLUES CHATZY EVER 2016-2017
This December is looking a lot like last December for the Nashville Predators, which is not a good thing.

A season ago, Nashville went 5-6-3 in December, kicking off a stretch of just over two months featuring inconsistent play and resulting in real doubts as to whether the Predators could make the playoffs.

This season, Nashville has lost four of its first five games in December, picking up just three points. That includes a 5-4 loss Dec. 3 to the New Jersey Devils in which the Predators coughed up a 4-1 third-period lead, and back-to-back losses on a brief road trip to Dallas and Arizona.

If the Predators (12-11-4) are to get back on course, a win Tuesday night against the St. Louis Blues in Bridgestone Arena would be a good way to do it. It would, if nothing else, erase the taste of a 4-1 defeat against the lowly Coyotes on Saturday night.

"We've got to play faster and be better than what we were," Nashville coach Peter Laviolette said after his team's second defeat to the Coyotes in just over a month.

Getting back home could help the Predators in that regard. They are 9-2-2 in Bridgestone, including a 3-1 win over St. Louis on Nov. 10. That game came during a stretch in which Nashville won six straight home games and went 9-3-2 in November.

Nashville might also get top-four defenseman Ryan Ellis back from an upper-body injury that caused him to miss the past eight games. Both Ellis and center Colton Sissons, out for seven games with an upper-body injury, practiced Monday.

"It stinks when you're sitting on the sidelines, whether you're winning or losing," Ellis said. "Either way, it's not fun when you're hurt or you're out. You always hope the team can pull through for you, but at times if they don't, if they do, it's tough either way."

The Blues (16-9-4) are a bit like Nashville in that they are world-beaters at home and something resembling mop water on the road. St. Louis is coming off a 3-1 loss Sunday in Minnesota, falling to 1-2-0 on its four-game road trip and 2-7-0 in its past nine away games.

Two quick second-period goals doomed the Blues against the Wild. St. Louis controlled play in the first period with an 11-6 advantage in shots on goal, but once the Blues had to chase the game against impenetrable Minnesota goalie Devan Dubnyk, they were in a position they couldn't escape.

"All these games are right there, but we're not getting a big enough push-back against these teams that really check hard," St. Louis coach Ken Hitchcock said. "They checked hard. We really checked them hard, but as the game wore on, they started to get a little bit control of it."

Jake Allen will get the start in net for the Blues. Allen stopped 22 of 24 shots Sunday but took the loss, falling to 14-5-3 with a 2.39 goals-against average and a .910- save percentage.

He probably will be opposed by Pekka Rinne (11-7-4, 2.45), who has given up 16 goals in four December starts after earning the NHL's First Star for November. Rinne still sports a .920 save percentage.
Blues • The Blues complete their four-game road trip in Nashville. They are 1-1 against the Predators this season, including a 3-1 win in St. Louis on Nov. 19 and a 3-1 loss in Nashville on Nov. 10. ... Defenseman Carl Gunnarsson, who has missed the past two games with a lower-body injury, practiced Monday but may not return to the lineup. ... Goaltender Jake Allen will stay in net, playing his fifth game in the last eight days.

Predators • Nashville is back at Bridgestone Arena after dropping both games of a two-game road trip, falling 5-2 in Dallas and 4-1 in Arizona. The Predators are 1-3-1 in their last five games. ... The Preds have been a bit like the Blues this season in that they’ve been much better at home (9-2-2) than on the road (3-9-2). ... The club could get injured defenseman Ryan Ellis and forward Colton Sissons back in the lineup soon, possibly Tuesday against the Blues.

Injuries • Blues — D Carl Gunnarsson (lower body), questionable; D Robert Bortuzzo (lower body), out. Predators — C Colton Sissons (upper body) and D Ryan Ellis (upper body), questionable; D Anthony Bitetto (broken hand) and RW Miika Salomaki (upper body), out.
Matchup

The Blues will look to finish the road trip .500 tonight as they've gone 1-2-0 thus far after losses in New York and Minnesota and a victory in New Jersey. The Blues and Predators have split the season series to this point with each earning a 3-1 win in their home building. Overall, St. Louis has won six of the last eight meetings and eight of the last 10 at Bridgestone Arena - though both road losses in that set have come in the last two trips. The Blues' special teams have played a big role in their success in Music City as the penalty kill has dispatched 33 of the Predators last 34 attempts over the last 10 meetings at Bridgestone.

What to Watch

David Perron will dress in his 600th career game tonight. Originally drafted 26th overall by the Blues in 2007, the Sherbrooke, Quebec, native is currently in his second stint as a Blue after brief stays in Edmonton, Pittsburgh and Anaheim. Also, continue to watch Vladimir Tarasenko, who extended his road point streak to seven games on Sunday in Minnesota and now shares second overall with 32 points this season (14 goals, 18 assists). In his career, Tarasenko has nine goals and 10 assists in 21 games against the Predators.

Milestones

Alexander Steen (221) is one assist shy of passing Pierre Turgeon (221) for 9th on the Blues' all-time assists list among forwards
Alex Pietrangelo (214) is one assist shy of passing Jeff Brown (214) for 4th on the Blues' all-time assist list among forwards
Alexander Steen - 2 shy of 300 career assists / 3 shy of 500 career points
Vladimir Tarasenko - 2 shy of 100 career PIM
Paul Stastny - 7 shy of 200 career goals
Jori Lehtera - 2 shy of 100 career PIM
Kyle Brodziak - 7 shy of 400 career PIM
Jaden Schwartz - 6 shy of 100 career assists
Quick Hits

Alex Pietrangelo (3:20) and Jay Bouwmeester (3:18) rank 8th and 9th overall, resepectively, in shorthanded ice time per game. The Blues' penalty kill ranks 3rd overall at 87.7% this season
Robby Fabbri has four multi-point games this season and three of them have come over his last six outings
Since losing to Columbus on Nov. 12, the Blues rank second overall with a 3.15 goals per game average
Brad Hunt has logged an assist in each of his first two games, giving him back-to-back games with a point for the first time in his NHL career
Blues Projected Forward lines

Robby Fabbri-Jaden Schwartz-Vladimir Tarasenko
Alexander Steen-Paul Stastny-David Perron
Jori Lehtera-Patrik Berglund-Nail Yakupov
Scottie Upshall-Kyle Brodiak-Ryan Reaves

This day in history:
1983 Bernie Federko sets Blues scoring record with 576th point on a PPG assisted by Ramage and Chouinard in 4-1 win over Blackhawks. He added an assist later in the game.
1989 D Jeff Brown acquired from the Quebec Nordiques G Greg Millen and F Tony Hrkac
1991 Vladimir Tarasenko's birthday!! Happy 25th!!!
2005 Curtis Sanford shutout the Penguins 3-0 on 21 saves the first night Sidney Crosby played in St Louis.
Last edited by theohall on Tue Dec 13, 2016 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Official LGB sponsor of Robert Thomas 2022-2023 Season

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Re: GDT #30: 12/13/16 | 7:00 PM CST | @ Predators | FSMW/KMO

Post by theohall »

On the new line combination....

Lehtera needs to be scratched so Hitchcock won't have his go-to line change and force him be more patient when trying new combos. As it stands, if these lines aren't working out in the first 10 minutes, Perron will be back with Berglund and Lehtera will be back with Tarasenko - even though Lehtera hasn't done squat in how many games?? 1 A, -1 in the past 5 games. This season Colton Parayko has almost twice as many points as the C Lehtera. In spite of 2/3rds of Lehtera's zone starts being in the offensive zone, he still isn't producing. If Fabbri deserves being scratched for not producing, then do it again to Lehtera. Sitting him once clearly didn't improve his play.

gaijin
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by gaijin »

Sure would be nice to finish the road trip 2-2 rather than 1-3, but somehow I don't get a warm fuzzy about this one.

2 points, please. :letsgoblues:

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

Lehtera sucks. As a slight aside, I just read an article about the worst player on every team in the NHL. The author destroyed the Blues. Said there was no single worst player just a lot of mediocre ones. They cited Stastny, Schwartz and Tarasenko as the only good players on the team. B fukking S. Yeah our 3rd and 4th lines aren't great but the whole point was to pick a single player, not trash an entire team. How about also pointing out the relatively stellar D corp? What about Steener? Realistically a fair article would have jumped on Lehtera, not practically the whole damn team.

Oh... Blues 3 Preds 2 shootout
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

tjk002
2nd Line Scorer
2nd Line Scorer

Post by tjk002 »

glen a richter wrote:Lehtera sucks. As a slight aside, I just read an article about the worst player on every team in the NHL. The author destroyed the Blues. Said there was no single worst player just a lot of mediocre ones. They cited Stastny, Schwartz and Tarasenko as the only good players on the team. B fukking S. Yeah our 3rd and 4th lines aren't great but the whole point was to pick a single player, not trash an entire team. How about also pointing out the relatively stellar D corp? What about Steener? Realistically a fair article would have jumped on Lehtera, not practically the whole damn team.

Call me a homer here, but I think we get good bang for the buck on our 4th line. It doesn't quite make up for the lack of production from our 3rd line when you consider the $$$$ invested in it. I include Lehtera and Berglund on the 3rd line for $$$. I really like what Perron has shown for the $$ invested. I will admit I was wrong on him so far this season.

tjk002
2nd Line Scorer
2nd Line Scorer

Post by tjk002 »

glen a richter wrote:Lehtera sucks. As a slight aside, I just read an article about the worst player on every team in the NHL. The author destroyed the Blues. Said there was no single worst player just a lot of mediocre ones. They cited Stastny, Schwartz and Tarasenko as the only good players on the team. B fukking S. Yeah our 3rd and 4th lines aren't great but the whole point was to pick a single player, not trash an entire team. How about also pointing out the relatively stellar D corp? What about Steener? Realistically a fair article would have jumped on Lehtera, not practically the whole damn team.

Call me a homer here, but I think we get good bang for the buck on our 4th line. It doesn't quite make up for the lack of production from our 3rd line when you consider the $$$$ invested in it. I include Lehtera and Berglund on the 3rd line for $$$. I really like what Perron has shown for the $$ invested. I will admit I was wrong on him so far this season.

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

So the 2nd year player Fabbri is mediocre?? Really?? To be fair, though, having read the whole thing now, lots of it is tongue in cheek.

gaijin
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by gaijin »

Was the author from Chicago?

This is like something my boys do. They'll ask each other, "Which of the Pokémon cards you have is your least favorite?" "What is your least favorite toy?" Or they ask me, "What was your least favorite 8-bit Nintendo game?" or "Who was your least favorite of all the original Transformers?" First of all, give me 30 minutes to mentally catalogue every single one of those damn guys and rack 'n stack them and I'll get back to you.

This guy is telling us he personally took the time to critically evaluate every single last player of every single team in the NHL, then make an "objective" ranking of the worst player? Unless he's a national writer, I guarantee he doesn't get paid enough to put in that kind of time for one article, and if he's not getting paid that kind of money, I guarantee he didn't put in that kind of time.

Second point- the team with the best players doesn't always win. A team full of 20-goal scorers can beat a team with one 50-goal scorer, so I'm not upset if someone says the Blues is full of mediocre players. Didn't a hockey legend (may he rest in peace) say "I'm not looking for the best players, I'm looking for the right ones."

Now, whether we have the right players or not...

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

gaijin wrote:

Was the author from Chicago?
It's a conglomerate of Washington Capitals bloggers.

Robb_K
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Robb_K »

Nice shot by Shattenkirk! Helping raise his trade value! :mrgreen: Blues lead 1-0!!!
Last edited by Robb_K on Tue Dec 13, 2016 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Robb_K
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Robb_K »

I hope Tarasenko is okay. Praying that it's an equipment problem.

Great shot by Reaves on a great backhand no-look pass by Brodziak!!! Blues lead 2-0!!!

Robb_K
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Robb_K »

Not a bad 1st considering they were outplayed for half of it! :grin: :)
Allen's great saves kept it a shutout and lead.

Toasted Oates
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by Toasted Oates »

Brad Hunt plays every night or we riot.
2016-2017 LGB sponsor of your boy, goaltender Jake Allen and a center for Vladi Tarasenko (UPDATE: FOUND! Ryan O' Reilly. July 1, 2018).
2017-2018 LGB sponsor of a damn fine rearguard, Capt. Alex Pietrangelo.
2018-2019 LGB sponsor of the 2nd greatest Joel in Blues history, #6 Joel "Eddy" Edmundson.

Robb_K
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Robb_K »

Glad to see Hunt on the PP, and scoring. too!!

Robb_K
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Robb_K »

Nice backhander by Stastny! Almost scored.

Robb_K
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Robb_K »

Perron Chippy again! Good trade off, I'd give up Perron to get Subban off the ice for 2:00.

Robb_K
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Robb_K »

Not a good period for The Blues or Allen, but great to see Brad Hunt tried out on the Power Play, and seeing him score like that. Blues need to take it to The Preds in The 3rd.

Robb_K
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Robb_K »

The Blues need to change stick manufacturers!

Krigloch the Furious
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Krigloch the Furious »

WTF?!?

Robb_K
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Robb_K »

Very disappointing game. :(