GDT #37: 12/30/16 | 7:00 PM CST | vs Predators | FSMW/KMOX

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

GDT #37: 12/30/16 | 7:00 PM CST | vs Predators | FSMW/KMOX

Post by theohall »

Chat with us here: BEST DAMN BLUES CHATZY EVER 2016-2017
The NHL schedule-maker did not do the Nashville Predators any favors coming out of the Christmas break.

Waiting for them as a belated present were three games in four nights, all against Central Division rivals. They opened with a 3-2 overtime loss to Minnesota on Tuesday night, followed by a 3-2 setback against Chicago on Thursday night, the third consecutive loss by the Predators.

The Predators got on a plane after that game to fly to St. Louis, where they meet the Blues on Friday night.

They could be without two key players for that game. Right winger James Neal had to come out of Thursday's contest in the second period because of an upper-body injury. Defenseman P.K. Subban (upper-body) missed the last six games and the team said he is not expected to play against the Blues.

"In our division, it feels like everyone is winning, especially now when we lose division games," Nashville left winger Filip Forsberg said. "Other teams are going to get ahead of us. We have to realize the moment; we still have half of the season left but at the same time, you can't just push the reset button after the New Year ... you have to get more urgent and string some wins together."

St. Louis won its first game after the break behind the first career hat trick from Robby Fabbri, scoring four goals in the third period in a 6-3 victory Wednesday night at home over the Philadelphia Flyers.

The four goals were one more than the Blues scored in the third period of their last nine games combined.

"I know it's an easy thing to say, but you want your game to be simple, and when you want to score so badly, you can make it very complicated, and we have done that," St. Louis coach Ken Hitchcock said. "We have made it very complicated."

Most of the Blues' problems have come on the road, where they are 5-10-1. The win over the Flyers improved their home record to 14-2-4.

The game against Nashville is the second contest of a season-high six-game homestand for the Blues, including the outdoor Winter Classic matchup against the Blackhawks on Monday at Busch Stadium.

Defenseman Colton Parayko hopes the Blues learned something with their comeback from a 4-3 deficit against the Flyers which they can use in the future, beginning Friday night.

"If we have the lead, I think we've been holding back with the lead almost," Parayko said. "We went in (to the third period) tied and went down and didn't give up. We stuck together and that's one of the things we wanted to change coming back from this break and it was noticeable for sure."

After getting the night off against the Flyers, regular goalie Jake Allen gets the start in goal for the Blues against the Predators.
Blues • The Blues are 1-2 against Nashville this year, winning 3-1 at home and losing twice on the road. After this game, the teams don’t meet again until April. In their most recent meeting, the Blues blew a 3-0 lead and lost 6-3. ... The Blues are 7-0 this season when Scottie Upshall has a point in a game.

Predators • This is the back half of a back-to-back set for Nashville, which played Chicago on Thursday night. Going into that game, the Predators had lost four of their previous six and gone to overtime in three of five. ... Nashville is the fourth-worst road team in the NHL, at 5-9-2. ... Ryan Johansen leads Nashville in scoring with 24 points (7 goals, 17 assists).

Injury report • Blues: D Robert Bortuzzo (lower body) is out. Predators: D P.K. Subban (upper body), F Miikka Salomaki (lower body) and D Anthony Bitetto (hand) are out.

This day in history:
1971 Soviet Union beat Team USA 7-3 at the St Louis Arena
1974 Blues acquire Red Berenson from Red Wings for Phil Roberto and a 3rd round pick
1980 Wayne Babych recorded his 2nd career hat trick in 5-3 win over Maple Leafs
1981 Wayne Gretzky sets NHL record of 50 goals in 39 games
1988 Brian Sutter became 3rd Blues player to have his jersey retired
1999 Jaromir Jagr has 7 point night scoring three goals for his sixth NHL hat trick and setting up four others in Penguins 9-2 win vs Islanders
1999 Turgeon set Blues record for consecutive games with an assist (12 games) in 2-1 OT win over Sharks
2006 Martin Brodeur sets an NHL record for most career shutouts with one team
Official LGB sponsor of Robert Thomas 2022-2023 Season

gaijin
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Re: GDT #37: 12/30/16 | 7:00 PM CST | vs Predators | FSMW/KM

Post by gaijin »

Let's make up for the last game against these guys.

2 points, please. :letsgoblues:

Robb_K
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Robb_K »

Blues have an early PP. Let's grab a 1-0 lead!

Schwartz gets off a great shot, but is robbed.

Robb_K
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Robb_K »

Another PP for The Blues! Will the 2nd be a charm? Let's open the scoring!

Robb_K
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Robb_K »

Not a great 1st Period. The Blues got some good shots, but they had 2 power plays to zero. What bothers me is that they lost most of the races to the puck and the puck battles in their own end. They looked shaky there against The Preds' good forecheck.

Robb_K
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Robb_K »

Looks like The Blues were thinking ahead to The outdoor game, instead of concentrating on winning this one. :cry:

Robb_K
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Robb_K »

BOO! HISS!! :cussing: Lousy night, to watch my local Danish team lose to a team they should have beat, and then be very disappointed watching The rested Blues lose 0-4 to The Preds, who were without Subban and Rinne, and on the back end of a back-to-back.

Krigloch the Furious
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Krigloch the Furious »

so bad
0 adjustments made. thanks Hitch. I will forever hate that dude

Robb_K
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Robb_K »

Krigloch the Furious wrote:so bad
Nothing Hitch could have done would have mattered. This should have been an automatic 2 points. Very early in The 2nd I KNEW that they were just figure skating. Their minds were a million miles away, thinking how great they would look to millions of TV viewers all across USA and Canada, when they'll be scoring goals and making big hits in their 9-0 win over The Hawks Monday. They'd better win that game, now that its already cost them 2 points. :x

gaijin
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by gaijin »

This team, as is, is good enough to make the playoffs, but not good enough to make it out of the first round.

Then again, I clearly remember about this time last season when all of us were lamenting that the Blues didn't have the talent of previous teams, and would be out in the first round.

So there's that. But they actually have to turn it around like they did last year. :|

Toasted Oates
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by Toasted Oates »

Robb_K wrote:
Krigloch the Furious wrote:so bad
Nothing Hitch could have done would have mattered. This should have been an automatic 2 points. Very early in The 2nd I KNEW that they were just figure skating. Their minds were a million miles away, thinking how great they would look to millions of TV viewers all across USA and Canada, when they'll be scoring goals and making big hits in their 9-0 win over The Hawks Monday. They'd better win that game, now that its already cost them 2 points. :x
I'm far from a Hitchcock fan but I agree. They went through the motions in that game and no amount of coaching prowess can fix that.

Hell yeah they better beat the Hawks @ Busch after an effort like that. Lack of energy shouldn't be an issue.

Side note: Turgeon looked more skillful in the alumni game today than Lehtera has all year. 2016 Pierre Turgeon > Jori Lehtera.
2016-2017 LGB sponsor of your boy, goaltender Jake Allen and a center for Vladi Tarasenko (UPDATE: FOUND! Ryan O' Reilly. July 1, 2018).
2017-2018 LGB sponsor of a damn fine rearguard, Capt. Alex Pietrangelo.
2018-2019 LGB sponsor of the 2nd greatest Joel in Blues history, #6 Joel "Eddy" Edmundson.

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

so what the heck is wrong with Lehtera? How does he go from being as good as he was 2 years ago, to the decline last season, to the utter suck he is this season?? Hitchcock already moved him from C multiple times and that hasn't done squat. Now, whenever the team isn't scoring, Hitchcock's go-to fix is to put the STL line back together even though they haven't done squat in I don't know how long. Lehtera needs to sit for a few games. Let Wade Megan play. He proved he can handle playing C, for at least 1 game.

Krigloch the Furious
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Krigloch the Furious »

Lehtera has never been that good

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

I'd like to see Barbashev get a shot. He sure as shit can't be worse than Lehtera.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

There was a point in the not so distant past that I had a lot of hope for Lehtera to turn it around. I still hope he does and think there's some talent there, but maybe he just doesn't fit well in the NA game. I'm not at this point yet, but some consideration needs to be given to buying him out of his contract. Hypothetically, if you buy him out and replace him with a Rattie/Barbashev, I wonder if retaining Shattenkirk becomes feasible.
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2016-2017 Official LGB Sponsor of Dmitri Jaskin
2017-2018 Official LGB Sponsor of Jake Allen

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

cardsfan04 wrote:There was a point in the not so distant past that I had a lot of hope for Lehtera to turn it around. I still hope he does and think there's some talent there, but maybe he just doesn't fit well in the NA game. I'm not at this point yet, but some consideration needs to be given to buying him out of his contract. Hypothetically, if you buy him out and replace him with a Rattie/Barbashev, I wonder if retaining Shattenkirk becomes feasible.
There's so many things that can be done in order to retain Shattenkirk. #1 is leaving Bouwmeester unprotected and swinging some kind of deal with Vegas to guarantee they take him. Lehtera is not a 1st line center and if his chemistry with Tarasenko was that good, he'd be swimming in assists. Wasn't that a major reason they wanted to bring him over? Barbashev or Megan couldn't be any worse and would probably be a step up. Frankly, I think Lehtera is actually holding Tarasenko back. A better centerman and we have a 50+ goal scorer.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

Robb_K
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Robb_K »

theohall wrote:so what the heck is wrong with Lehtera? How does he go from being as good as he was 2 years ago, to the decline last season, to the utter suck he is this season?? Hitchcock already moved him from C multiple times and that hasn't done squat. Now, whenever the team isn't scoring, Hitchcock's go-to fix is to put the STL line back together even though they haven't done squat in I don't know how long. Lehtera needs to sit for a few games. Let Wade Megan play. He proved he can handle playing C, for at least 1 game.
Lehterä was always too slow for The NHL game. It didn't show up in he KHL. because they play a more east-west game, which gives him more time to catch up to the play. In the increasingly north-south (get up ice quickly) NHL, Tarasenko is in the O-Zone all alone, and loses the puck after a desperation shot, or stickhandling trying to kill time, waiting for Lehterä to catch up. During the first 1/3 to 1/2 of his first season with The Blues, Taraseno was scoring like crazy on the trailer play, in which one of that pair follows the other and there was a trailer pass. If Tarasenko was the trailer, he just shot, and scored, because the goalie wasn't ready for it. If Tarasenko was the passer, after his pass, he'd peel to the left, and circle back in front of the net for rebounds off Lehterä's shots blocked by the goalie. They scored a lot of goals like that. Even Lehterä scored more than now (14).

But, they've not been successful with that anymore after the opponents got enough film of their play together. Lehterä is a one trick pony with Tarasenko. Opponents are ready for it now, and defend well against it.

Lehterä has to really work hard on his skating, skating stride and acceleration. Backes did that, and became a quality centre. It CAN be done, if a player is willing to take the lessons, and put in the personal hard training work. In addition, speaking of training,
Lehterä needs to improve his stamina. He's been with the Blues long enough to do something about that, and has shown no inclination to do that. The excuse of off-season injury can't be used any more. Who ever heard of a slow-skating Finn? Ridiculous!

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

glen a richter wrote:
cardsfan04 wrote:There was a point in the not so distant past that I had a lot of hope for Lehtera to turn it around. I still hope he does and think there's some talent there, but maybe he just doesn't fit well in the NA game. I'm not at this point yet, but some consideration needs to be given to buying him out of his contract. Hypothetically, if you buy him out and replace him with a Rattie/Barbashev, I wonder if retaining Shattenkirk becomes feasible.
There's so many things that can be done in order to retain Shattenkirk. #1 is leaving Bouwmeester unprotected and swinging some kind of deal with Vegas to guarantee they take him.
The only flaw with this, the NHL GMs already put in restrictions to prevent Vegas from making the "guarantee to pick unprotected player x" kind of deals. This is to stop teams from getting rid of aging, over-paid veterans while allowing Vegas to potentially acquire younger, more lucrative players. If someone does it and gets caught, they are subject to ridiculous penalties - like losing umpty-squat 1st round draft picks. Now, trading players for draft picks is something completely different, but I believe based on what I've heard on NHL Radio (could be wrong), those types of deals aren't allowed until after the expansion draft.