GDT #42: 1/12/17 | 9:30 PM CST | @ Kings | FSMW/KMOX

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

GDT #42: 1/12/17 | 9:30 PM CST | @ Kings | FSMW/KMOX

Post by theohall »

Chat with us here: BEST DAMN BLUES CHATZY EVER 2016-2017
The St. Louis Blues and the Los Angeles Kings meet Thursday at Staples Center as both attempt to get back on track after poor home performances in their previous contests. The game is second of their three-game season series, with the Blues capturing a 1-0 victory on Oct. 29 with Jaden Schwartz scoring the lone goal.

The Blues (21-16-5) ended a six-game home stand on a sour note with a 4-1 loss to the Boston Bruins on Tuesday. They posted a 3-3-0 record on the stand and have played mediocre hockey since early December, going 7-8-2 since Dec. 3 primarily due to poor defensive play and goaltending (24 goals against in their last 7 games).

The Los Angeles game is the start of a three-game California road trip that includes visits to Anaheim and San Jose and concludes Sunday as the team tries to find consistency in their play.

"We win one and then we get away from our game," said captain Alex Pietrangelo after the Boston loss. "Mentally, we were ready to play from the start. I think we're making bad decisions with the puck and other teams are taking advantage of it."

St. Louis coach Ken Hitchcock pointed to starting goaltender Jake Allen's struggles as an additional reason for the team's recent play. Allen was pulled in the Boston loss after surrendering three goals on 11 shots and is feeling the pressure as the number one goaltender after Brian Elliott was dealt to Calgary in the offseason. His .904 save percentage and a 2.63 goals-against average are career-worst numbers.

"He's not stopping the puck right now," said Hitchcock. "Probably some of it is confidence, for him it the first time that things have not gone smoothly in his career, he's going to have to battle like the rest of us. We can help out too by playing better in front of him."

The Kings (20-17-4) have similar challenges, losing two of their first three games of a seven-game home stand to sub-.500 teams, the Detroit Red Wings and Dallas Stars. In their 6-4 loss to Dallas Monday, Los Angeles had poor performances from their defense (Alec Martinez and Jake Muzzin registered -4 ratings) and goaltending (Peter Budaj surrendered 5 goals on 22 shots before being pulled in the third period) continuing a long stretch of inconsistent play.

Since Dec. 1, the Kings have an 8-7-3 record as they continue to struggle to produce offensive consistently. Their 102 goals rank third worst in the Western Conference, only ahead of the cellar-dwelling Arizona Coyotes and Colorado Avalanche. Only 2017 All-Star Game selection Jeff Carter (22 goals) and Tanner Pearson (11 goals) have registered double-digit goals and speculation has surfaced that the organization is pursuing trade options to prop up its floundering offense.

"Jeff Carter has been carrying this team and it seems if he doesn't get a goal no one steps up and fills that void," said forward Jordan Nolan. "We win two, win three, then lose two, lose three. It's starting to get a little old. We're starting to get to crunch time here."

Since winning Stanley Cup titles in 2012 and 2014, every season holds high expectations for Los Angeles and, with them presently outside the top three Pacific Division qualifiers for an automatic playoff qualification, the sense of urgency around the team is dialing up during this home stand. They have a solid 12-6-1 home record and the importance of finishing this stretch of home game strong with nine road games in their next 10 games following their Jan. 18 game against the San Jose Sharks.

"We have to put a stretch of wins together," said captain Anze Kopitar. "We still have four game at home, so we have to make sure we take care of business. We're not as nearly consistent as we need to be."
Blues • After a six-game homestand in which they went 3-3, the Blues open a three-game road trip in Los Angeles. They are 5-10-1 on the road this season. ... The Blues have met the Kings once this season, winning 1-0 on a third-period goal by Jaden Schwartz on Oct. 29 at home. ... Goalie Jake Allen recorded a 27-save shutout in the victory, but it’s not known whether Allen or backup Carter Hutton will be in net Thursday. Allen didn’t absorb the loss in Tuesday’s 5-3 defeat to Boston, but he allowed three goals on 17 shots and saw his save-percentage slide to .902.

Kings • This will be the fourth game of a seven-game homestand for LA, which is 1-2 so far with losses to Detroit and Dallas. ... The Kings have the second-leading goal scorer in the NHL in Jeff Carter, who has 22 in 41 games. He has eight goals in his last 10 games. ... With goalie Jonathan Quick still out with a lower-body injury, Peter Budaj remains the starter. He is 18-11-3 with a 2.13 goals-against average and a .913 save-percentage and has won his last three starts.

Injuries • Blues — D Carl Gunnarsson (lower body), out; Kings — C Tyler Toffoli (lower body) and G Jonathan Quick (lower body), out.
Tonight will be Alex Pietrangelo's 500th game.

This day in history:
1969 Jacques Plante shutout the North Stars 2-0 on 28 saves
1987 Cliff Ronning scores his first NHL goal and records a hat trick in 4-4 tie vs North Stars
1999 Doug Wickenheiser passed away at age 37
2011 Ryan Reaves recorded his 1st NHL goal and point in 7-4 loss to Anaheim
Last edited by theohall on Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Official LGB sponsor of Robert Thomas 2022-2023 Season

gaijin
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Re: GDT #42: 1/12/16 | 9:30 PM CST | @ Kings | FSMW/KMOX

Post by gaijin »

Let's see if Tank can catch Carter in goals tonight.

2 points, please. :letsgoblues:

California Blues
LGB Booster - Blue
LGB Booster - Blue

Post by California Blues »

Today it became official that my NFL team is moving to LA. So, in a completely irrational attempt to feel some sense of personal vengeance, I will be rooting extra hard tonight for the Blues to annihilate LA.

LET'S GO BLUES!

Robb_K
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Robb_K »

Pretty awful 1st Period. I don't like the team looking like no one cares.

Robb_K
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Robb_K »

Why did Schwartz feel he needed to pull Kopitar down? He's one of the better Blues at defending in his own zone. It's looked like The Blues have been paid to lose lately.

Toasted Oates
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by Toasted Oates »

Welp.
2016-2017 LGB sponsor of your boy, goaltender Jake Allen and a center for Vladi Tarasenko (UPDATE: FOUND! Ryan O' Reilly. July 1, 2018).
2017-2018 LGB sponsor of a damn fine rearguard, Capt. Alex Pietrangelo.
2018-2019 LGB sponsor of the 2nd greatest Joel in Blues history, #6 Joel "Eddy" Edmundson.

abc789987
All-Star
All-Star

Post by abc789987 »

This team looks like crap more times than not recently.

Oh and our goal-tending sucks.
:evil:

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

Allen needs to get his shit together. Things like their second goal just can't happen in the NHL. Once in a blue moon, sure. Once per game, like it seems to be right now with Allen, is a recipe for disaster though. I haven't given up on Allen or anything, but I'm not confident he fixes it by playing through it. Hope I'm wrong though, because I'm not hugely excited by leaning on Hutton in the meantime.
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2016-2017 Official LGB Sponsor of Dmitri Jaskin
2017-2018 Official LGB Sponsor of Jake Allen

gaijin
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by gaijin »

Yeah, not good. This isn't all goaltending, either. Aside from some good offensive pressure after the Kings' first goal (and even then we couldn't score), there wasn't a whole lot working for us. Offense was bad, defense was bad, goaltending was bad.

What's a GM to do?

gaijin
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by gaijin »

I forgot to mention- something you don't see anyone talking about (because I don't think anyone wants to think about it) is the fact that we are three points away from being out of playoff spot. Nashville is only 2 points behind us, and if they pass us for the 3rd spot in the Central, we fall to the second Wild Card, and then LA is only 1 point behind.

Everyone else is moving up. We're moving down. :cussing:

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

gaijin wrote:I forgot to mention- something you don't see anyone talking about (because I don't think anyone wants to think about it) is the fact that we are three points away from being out of playoff spot. Nashville is only 2 points behind us, and if they pass us for the 3rd spot in the Central, we fall to the second Wild Card, and then LA is only 1 point behind.

Everyone else is moving up. We're moving down. :cussing:
Yeah, I've noticed that too. I feel as if there are two ways to spin the current situation.

1. We currently have a guaranteed playoff spot, scoring is up and there is proven talent that's just underachieving at the moment. Even Jake Allen has shown signs of being a legit goaltender in the past, and once we get past this funk we'll be in good shape because of a reasonably strong start to the season.

2. We haven't won back to back games since Thanksgiving(?). We are closer to being out of the playoffs than to catching MIN/CHI. Allen may have shown us something in the past, but he looks horrendous right now. The team in front of him doesn't look much better. And we already have Yakupov/Jaskin occupying a top 9 slot every night. If there's an injury, we might have them both playing and not a ton of leverage to make a trade. Even if things turn around, we are missing a major piece to be at the level of the other teams in the playoffs.

The truth is probably in the middle. No team is ever as good as their biggest hot streak (looking at you, Columbus), nor as bad as their biggest cold stretch. Same applies to players (Allen). But, even when (if?) Allen figures it out, we have more holes and seem to be lacking something to consistently play on par with the top teams in the league. I suspect that we'll make the playoffs and be out first round, but I hesitate to make strong playoff predictions based on a low point in January.
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2016-2017 Official LGB Sponsor of Dmitri Jaskin
2017-2018 Official LGB Sponsor of Jake Allen

tjk002
2nd Line Scorer
2nd Line Scorer

Post by tjk002 »

If the Blues drop the next two, is Hitch still the head coach next week?

gaijin
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by gaijin »

tjk002 wrote:If the Blues drop the next two, is Hitch still the head coach next week?
The coaching situation is interesting. With Yeo already hired on for next year as head coach, he and Hitch have been working together and are on the same page when it comes to implementing this current system. So if Hitch is fired, nothing changes because Yeo takes over and continues to enforce this system. If Yeo were not already tapped as HC next year, I think the front office would find it a lot easier to let Hitch go and find a replacement in time for the new coach to have a positive effect before the playoffs.

So if any coaching changes are going to made this year, you have to get rid of BOTH Hitch and Yeo, or it's not a change.

But I don't see it happening. The Blues are not a franchise that makes earth-shattering changes like this. If anything changes, it will be player movement- we'll pick up a 3rd liner or something and call it a new and improved team.

Kerfuffle
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by Kerfuffle »

gaijin wrote:
tjk002 wrote:If the Blues drop the next two, is Hitch still the head coach next week?
So if any coaching changes are going to made this year, you have to get rid of BOTH Hitch and Yeo, or it's not a change.

But I don't see it happening. The Blues are not a franchise that makes earth-shattering changes like this. If anything changes, it will be player movement- we'll pick up a 3rd liner or something and call it a new and improved team.
I can see them getting rid of Hitch but not both Hitch and Yeo - that would look bad especially after announcing this direction and lining up the next coach in Yeo. And Armstrong is one who favors loyalty over change.

Toasted Oates
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by Toasted Oates »

I agree that they wouldn't fire both. From the information we're given, Yeo runs the power play, occasionally runs practice, and will draw up a play on the bench once in awhile.

Hitchcock addresses the media (his favorite part of the day besides dinner) and still makes all the final lineup (in game or otherwise) decisions as far as we know.

I don't know how influential Yeo is when it comes to Hitch, any more than Shaw or Muller were. And many of us were ok with Muller becoming head coach.

Whatever the system, I can see the players suffering from "Hitch fatigue" because I suffer from it just listening to him ramble on in press conferences. It would be a non risk to just get his ass out of the building and see what happens, whether Yeo or Bernie Federko was named head coach.

Armstrong would never do that to his buddy, though. He has allowed this coach to dictate his own terms for awhile now.
2016-2017 LGB sponsor of your boy, goaltender Jake Allen and a center for Vladi Tarasenko (UPDATE: FOUND! Ryan O' Reilly. July 1, 2018).
2018-2019 LGB sponsor of the 2nd greatest Joel in Blues history, #6 Joel "Eddy" Edmundson.

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

This team desperately needs a whole new coaching staff, top to bottom. That and to drop Lehtera like a bad habit.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

Toasted Oates
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by Toasted Oates »

Hindsight is hitting me like a Mack truck.

-Mike Yeo: next head coach. Minnesota is playing like they don't miss him much. Doesn't exactly get you fired up for when he takes the reins. Still cautiously optimistic because he is not Ken Hitchcock.

-Letting Backes go. He is sorely missed.

-Extending Jake Allen. Right now, that contract is cringeworthy. He still has time to flip the script, but soon would be great, bud.

-Extending Steen. Remember him? He gets more shifts than anyone and has 4 goals. Hell, Troy Brouwer hasn't played since Christmastime and he has 8!

Bluuuuues hockey.

Oaklandblue
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Oaklandblue »

2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Alexander Steen
2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Jaromir Jagr, Calgary Flames
2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Brian Elliott, Calgary Flames
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Ryan "Turn that leaf on the wind into a shrimp on the bar-bee" Reaves
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Obviously Not Steve Ott
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Steve "Chirps-A-Lot" Ott
2015 LGB Supporter of the New York Rangers
2014-2015 LGB Sponsor of Patrik "No-Timer" Berglund
2013-2014 LGB Sponsor of Derek "In The Middle" Roy
2012-2013 LGB Sponsor of Chris "NO SLEEP TIL THE CUP!" Stewart - Shhhhh!!!

Toasted Oates
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by Toasted Oates »

Oaklandblue wrote:Image
Haha touché, but let's not pretend the great Brian Elliott has carried the Flames on his back to this point either.

It's only January and Allen has skill to carry his teammates some nights. Since around late November, though, it's been an adventure.

I refuse to bury the guy but with a hoard of teams creeping up on the Blues, the cheeks are starting to tighten. Time to start earning that dough they so graciously handed him.