Hitchcock Fired.

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

evil roy
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Hitchcock Fired.

Post by evil roy »

According to Josh Gold-Smith at Score Sports. Looking for link but at this point the only other details the article mentions is that Yeo will take over as HC.

*edit* Linky: http://www.thescore.com/news/1221979
*return of the edit* Linky to more info: https://www.nhl.com/blues/news/hitchcoc ... -286332862
Last edited by evil roy on Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Official 2018-19 LGB Sponsor of Patrick Maroon
Official 2017-18 LGB Sponsor of Robby Fabbri's ACL
Official 2016-17 LGB Sponsor of Paul Stastny
Official 2015-16 LGB sponsor of Alexander (There is no "I" in) Steen

thekortehaus
4th Line Mucker
4th Line Mucker

Re: Hitchcock Fired.

Post by thekortehaus »

Espn ticker also reporting the exact same thing

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

crazyhorse
3rd Line Grinder
3rd Line Grinder

Post by crazyhorse »

At least there will be something to look for next game. Still not convinced it's Yeo though :grin:
2012-2013 official LGB sponsor of Vladimir Sobotka
2013-2014 official LGB sponsor of Ryan Miller
2014-2015 official LGB sponsor of Alexander Steen
2015-2016 official LGB sponsor of Kyle Brodziak
2016-2017 official LGB sponsor of Alexander Steen
2017-2018 official LGB sponsor of Scotty Upshall
2018-2019 official LGB sponsor of Brayden Schenn

Krigloch the Furious
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Krigloch the Furious »

Finally!
Looks like my #FireHitch hashtag worked. Lol

Sent from my R2 unit

thekortehaus
4th Line Mucker
4th Line Mucker

Post by thekortehaus »

Krigloch the Furious wrote:Finally!
Looks like my #FireHitch hashtag worked. Lol

Sent from my R2 unit
You're the hero we needed, not the one we deserved.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

ibldbl
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by ibldbl »

Official LGB Sponsor of Ryan O'Reilly 2021 - 2022
Official LGB Sponsor of Colton Parayko 2017 - 2019
Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk 2016 - 2017
Official LGB Sponsor of Troy Brouwer 2015 - 2016
Official LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz 2013 - 2015

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

Yea ESPN reporting Hitchcock fired and Yeo promoted.

I wasn't as surprised as I may have guessed I would be haha.

They're just advancing what the plan already was, so there's not some monumental change here I feel like.

The previous comments on this site about him losing the team were apparently accurate, or close enough as makes no difference. Blues would've had to go on a TEAR right after the break for him to keep his job. Loss out of the gate and its bye felicia.

I frankly don't think it'll change the composure of how the rest of the season plays out. But we shall see.
Official 2021-2022 LGB Sponsor of Torey Krug
Official 2021 LGB Sponsor of Brayden Schenn
Official 2018-2019 LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2018 LGB Playoff Challenge Champ
Official 2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
Official 2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Scottie Upshall
Official 2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk

gaijin
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by gaijin »

WaukeeBlues wrote:Yea ESPN reporting Hitchcock fired and Yeo promoted.

I wasn't as surprised as I may have guessed I would be haha.

They're just advancing what the plan already was, so there's not some monumental change here I feel like.

The previous comments on this site about him losing the team were apparently accurate, or close enough as makes no difference. Blues would've had to go on a TEAR right after the break for him to keep his job. Loss out of the gate and its bye felicia.

I frankly don't think it'll change the composure of how the rest of the season plays out. But we shall see.
I'm with you. I've been saying for a while that if you fire Hitch, you don't really change anything because this system is Hitch AND Yeo's system together. Now it's Yeo's system.

If he turns the ship around, great. But I am not optimistic.

gaijin
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by gaijin »

Also, Jim Corsi let go as goaltending coach.

https://twitter.com/lkorac10/status/826803330668232707

Krigloch the Furious
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Krigloch the Furious »

Was never optimistic with this season.
Team lacks talent, it's that simple.

Sent from my R2 unit

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

And we will continue to see the Blues playing inconsistently with the same defensive issues that existed for the Wild the past 4 years. Just go look at some Wild losses over the past 2 seasons. Yeo and Wilson were running the show there and now get to run the show here.

At least if they keep sucking, it gives Armstrong a reason to fire Yeo at the end of this season when the Blues miss the playoffs and actually hire someone for being a good coach, instead of out of loyalty. Or Stillman a reason to clean house completely and fire Armstrong, too.

It's a start to getting someone who knows how to use the talent in house eventually.
Official LGB sponsor of Robert Thomas 2022-2023 Season

gaijin
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by gaijin »

theohall wrote: At least if they keep sucking, it gives Armstrong a reason to fire Yeo at the end of this season when the Blues miss the playoffs and actually hire someone for being a good coach, instead of out of loyalty. Or Stillman a reason to clean house completely and fire Armstrong, too.

It's a start to getting someone who knows how to use the talent in house eventually.
At this point I would be on board with that, but I just don't see it happening. I think even if we miss the playoffs this year, Yeo is still head coach starting next year. They wouldn't fire him without giving him the chance to coach one whole season.

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

gaijin wrote:
theohall wrote: At least if they keep sucking, it gives Armstrong a reason to fire Yeo at the end of this season when the Blues miss the playoffs and actually hire someone for being a good coach, instead of out of loyalty. Or Stillman a reason to clean house completely and fire Armstrong, too.

At this point I would be on board with that, but I just don't see it happening. I think even if we miss the playoffs this year, Yeo is still head coach starting next year. They wouldn't fire him without giving him the chance to coach one whole season.
So basically count on the Blues continuing to be this inconsistent mess for another year and half. Brilliant!!! :okman:
Official LGB sponsor of Robert Thomas 2022-2023 Season

not_a_wings_fan
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by not_a_wings_fan »

I'm glad they moved Hitch out.

I wasn't convinced he had the correct players to do what he wanted to do, but I am also convinced the team doesn't have the right players in general.

Yeo doesn't change much of anything, and I don't think he's a good enough coach to get the team past where they have been the last several years - especially with this roster.

I am all for sacking Armstrong. I don't think his personal decisions have been good enough to retain him.

I would also be in favor of blowing the team up and starting over around Tank and maybe a couple other young players. It's time. Take the top work ethic guys, the guys that put it all out there, and move on the vets for picks and prospects.

Anyway, /wave... Hi guys, hope you are all doing well.
Official 2008-2015 LGB Sponsor of Barret Jackman

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

I'd be happy if Yeo wasn't the alternative. Meet the new boss, same as the old boss sort of thing. This is a parallel move that was going to happen anyway, as someone said the whole process was just accelerated. So I'm very unimpressed by this and Corsi being the only two changes to coaching. Everyone should have gone, every last one of them.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

evil roy
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by evil roy »

gaijin wrote:

I would tend to agree, but unless Hitchcock gave Yeo the pictures he has of Army in that Tijuana donkey show or whatever dirt he had that kept him from facing any sort of consequences for his playoff failures, there won't be the same bromance between Army and Yeo so maybe, just maybe Army will keep him on a short leash. But even that isn't all that encouraging since IMO Army is more to blmae that Hitch for the Blues current straits.

Oh well, it's the Blues--plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose
Official 2018-19 LGB Sponsor of Patrick Maroon
Official 2017-18 LGB Sponsor of Robby Fabbri's ACL
Official 2016-17 LGB Sponsor of Paul Stastny
Official 2015-16 LGB sponsor of Alexander (There is no "I" in) Steen

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

I wasn't expecting this and thought Hitch would finish the season. I'm not opposed to it though and if he was going to get fired midseason, now was the right time. That was a disappointing game out of the break.

I don't really expect this to fix much though. Not because I dislike Yeo. It's not uncommon for a coach to do well in his second job after failing in his first. I put this on the players at least as much as I do on Hitch though. Obviously you can't fire the entire team, which is why Hitch gets scapegoated, but I think the players need to own this. Maybe his system is flawed or he has lost the locker room. They are the ones that aren't performing though.
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2016-2017 Official LGB Sponsor of Dmitri Jaskin
2017-2018 Official LGB Sponsor of Jake Allen

Portland Blues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Portland Blues »

Now Hitch will finally have a chance to binge watch all those episodes of Barnwood Builders.

Kerfuffle
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by Kerfuffle »

I think Hitch was setup to fail on this one - the move is not surprising. Whenever an organization has your replacement hired and standing behind you, you know it's only a matter of time before the axe comes down. I also believe Armstrong is making this move now to save his own arse cause he will have responsibility here too - mainly on why he thought Elliot was expendable in the offseason.

Edit: I believe Hitch is a good man and have seen many interviews with him. I wish him well and I also worry about his weight and hopefully he can take the time to care for himself.
Last edited by Kerfuffle on Wed Feb 01, 2017 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

flyingnote38
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by flyingnote38 »

I would hope that Armstrong gets fired as well. Hard to blame (only) Hitch for the mess that is the current Blues.

(To beat a dead horse) Armstrong inherited a strong core of talent that was the trendy pick as the next cup contender and has done little to make the team better while tying up too much cap space in bad contracts. I called for Armie to be fired after the Miller trade and my opinion of him hasn't changed since.
2016-7 sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2017-8 sponsor of Tage Thompson
2018-9 sponsor of Ryan O'Reilly
2019-20 sponsor of old time hockey
2020-21 sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2021-22 sponsor of Pavel Buchnevich
2022-23 sponsor of Brayden Schenn
2023-24 sponsor of Justin Faulk