Fabbri out for the season

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

KrustyKevo
3rd Line Grinder
3rd Line Grinder

Fabbri out for the season

Post by KrustyKevo »

“It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge. War endures. As well ask men what they think of stone. War was always here. Before man was, war waited for him. The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner. That is the way it was and will be. That way and not some other way.”

Toasted Oates
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Re: Fabbri out for the season

Post by Toasted Oates »

And they called up Agostino and......Paajarvi!

Get to sellin', Doug.
2016-2017 LGB sponsor of your boy, goaltender Jake Allen and a center for Vladi Tarasenko (UPDATE: FOUND! Ryan O' Reilly. July 1, 2018).
2017-2018 LGB sponsor of a damn fine rearguard, Capt. Alex Pietrangelo.
2018-2019 LGB sponsor of the 2nd greatest Joel in Blues history, #6 Joel "Eddy" Edmundson.

Krigloch the Furious
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Krigloch the Furious »

Who comes up?
Nevermind.
Seasons over anyways

Sent from my R2 unit

gaijin
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by gaijin »

Sucks, definitely. I've had to recover from two ACL surgeries. The physical therapy ain't fun...

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

Toasted Oates wrote:......Paajarvi!
:roll: :doh: :facepalm: :letsgoblues:

Let's call up the guy no one in the NHL will claim off of waivers, even given multiple opportunities to claim him. Brilliant!!! :banana:
Official LGB sponsor of Robert Thomas 2022-2023 Season

Kerfuffle
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by Kerfuffle »

Armstrong needs to make a move to replace Fabbri - he better be working the phones. It would be a fireable offense in my opinion if he just sat idly by and did nothing. Season is not over - if history has taught us anything about the NHL the name of the game is just to make the playoffs and then the real season starts.

gaijin
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by gaijin »

Kerfuffle wrote:Armstrong needs to make a move to replace Fabbri - he better be working the phones. It would be a fireable offense in my opinion if he just sat idly by and did nothing. Season is not over - if history has taught us anything about the NHL the name of the game is just to make the playoffs and then the real season starts.
And if history has taught us anything about the Blues, making the playoffs doesn't mean squat except hitting the golf course two weeks later than other teams.

Does anyone really think this team is a contender as-is? I think Kerfuffle is [at least partially] right. Army has only two choices: either work something to improve the team RIGHT NOW to make a stretch run, or sell at the deadline to better equip us for next year.

Honestly, I say sell.

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

I was afraid coming on here that I'd be in the minority but yea I'm actually on the "sell" wagon too. I agree.

I was leaning that way even before this news broke and now with one of the few legitimate scorers this team has now out for the stretch run? Yea, sorry, Blues might make the playoffs but this team isn't a cup contender. No way.

It was a rough transition year losing some very big personalities in the locker room but also on the ice. Everyone from coach on down had to work around losing key pieces and its never easy to do that. Reload for next season is where I'm at. Any buying at the deadline would be a putrid waste in my opinion. Hopefully the Blues swing one way or the other so at least it's not a hard decision for Armstrong to make, whichever it is. I'm gonna assume and guess it'll be more losses than wins by then.

Trade Shatty, get the best possible return you can, entertain offers, keep that first round pick for 2017.

Fun fact: All 30 NHL teams have their first rounder so far this season. Nobody has traded theirs. Let's go get another one :twisted:
Official 2021-2022 LGB Sponsor of Torey Krug
Official 2021 LGB Sponsor of Brayden Schenn
Official 2018-2019 LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2018 LGB Playoff Challenge Champ
Official 2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
Official 2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Scottie Upshall
Official 2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

I want to be in the "sell" camp, but also want Yeo gone at the end of this season. If the Blues sell, the Armstrong has a built-in excuse to keep Yeo around thus "justifying" his hiring of Yeo. Even though this will mean at least another year of inconsistency night to night until Stillman grows a pair, accepts how much Armstrong screwed up this off-season with the coaching decisions, and cleans house. Yeo staying will equal another craptacularly inconsistent season in 2017-18.

If the Blues buy a little via Shattenkirk to improve the team, Yeo won't have the excuse and something can be done in the off-season to fix that major issue.

That being said, I do want to be in the sell camp to improve the talent level. Just don't know how to both sell and get Yeo fired at the same time, though.

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

theohall wrote:I want to be in the "sell" camp, but also want Yeo gone at the end of this season. If the Blues sell, the Armstrong has a built-in excuse to keep Yeo around thus "justifying" his hiring of Yeo. Even though this will mean at least another year of inconsistency night to night until Stillman grows a pair, accepts how much Armstrong screwed up this off-season with the coaching decisions, and cleans house. Yeo staying will equal another craptacularly inconsistent season in 2017-18.

If the Blues buy a little via Shattenkirk to improve the team, Yeo won't have the excuse and something can be done in the off-season to fix that major issue.

That being said, I do want to be in the sell camp to improve the talent level. Just don't know how to both sell and get Yeo fired at the same time, though.
He ain't getting fired. He's getting at least a whole year with this team before something like that happens. Or at least a start to next season.
Official 2021-2022 LGB Sponsor of Torey Krug
Official 2021 LGB Sponsor of Brayden Schenn
Official 2018-2019 LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2018 LGB Playoff Challenge Champ
Official 2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
Official 2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Scottie Upshall
Official 2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

So count on the continued inconsistency we've seen this season for another entire season.

gaijin
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by gaijin »

theohall wrote:So count on the continued inconsistency we've seen this season for another entire season.
Not necessarily. I fully expect that if we remain a .500 team the rest of this season and miss the playoffs, Yeo keeps his job because the situation in which he was placed wasn't [entirely] his fault, and management feels he should have a shot at starting from scratch and seeing what he can do with a clean slate.

That said, if we are still a .500 team by the time the All-Star break rolls around next season, I bet Yeo is gone. Armstrong doesn't have the loyalty to him like he did to Hitch. And if Hitch didn't survive it, Yeo sure won't.

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

Yeo being on this staff the entire season makes him part of the problem, too. If there isn't improvement between now and the end of the season, it's disingenuous to not consider firing him and his friend, Rick Wilson. Whose been behind the bench with Hithcock all year?? It sure as heck wasn't Steve Thomas, and now Steve Thomas is still behind the bench, because Wilson and Yeo couldn't coach the forwards without him. That's a problem. The biggest differences I've seen this year from last year is the Blues defense hasn't been near as good - which are the guys Yeo and Wilson can supposedly coach - and the wingers have not been as responsible defensively.