Why is Shattenkirk being moved?

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Re: Why is Shattenkirk being moved?

Post by theohall »

JCShutout wrote:Anyone know the condition on the 2nd?

I think a 1st, 2nd and a decent prospect is probably as good as you can expect for a rental. If the tables were turned, and we were trading for a guy we knew we wouldn't resign, that would be a lot to pay, but I'd pay it if I had a legit chance at the cup.

The condition on the 2nd worries me. If its based on him resigning and we lose it, then we didn't get enough IMO.
The conditions have something to do with the Caps currently not owning a 2nd round pick in 2018. It went to Montreal in Lars Eller deal. Nothing is "official" still.
Official LGB sponsor of Robert Thomas 2022-2023 Season

gaijin
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by gaijin »

I figured we wouldn't find a trade partner and would lose him for nothing, so I'm just happy we got something in return.

Toasted Oates
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by Toasted Oates »

theohall wrote:Retaining half salary should have been expected.

1) The Caps aren't going to re-sign Shattenkirk.
2) It's only half - so 2M
3) It will have ZERO IMPACT (other than having the full 4+ M to sign Parayko) on the Blues cap next season, because Shattenkirk's salary next year is ZERO for the Blues

So WTF is the big deal about that??? It's not like the Blues are buying this season.

The Bishop trade, which is similar in players, TB retained half of Bishop's salary - oooo - for a whole 3 months. So what???

Making mountains out of what isn't even big enough to be called a mole hill.
Lol.
2016-2017 LGB sponsor of your boy, goaltender Jake Allen and a center for Vladi Tarasenko (UPDATE: FOUND! Ryan O' Reilly. July 1, 2018).
2017-2018 LGB sponsor of a damn fine rearguard, Capt. Alex Pietrangelo.
2018-2019 LGB sponsor of the 2nd greatest Joel in Blues history, #6 Joel "Eddy" Edmundson.

Toasted Oates
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Why is Shattenkirk being moved?

Post by Toasted Oates »

JCShutout wrote:Anyone know the condition on the 2nd?

I think a 1st, 2nd and a decent prospect is probably as good as you can expect for a rental. If the tables were turned, and we were trading for a guy we knew we wouldn't resign, that would be a lot to pay, but I'd pay it if I had a legit chance at the cup.

The condition on the 2nd worries me. If its based on him resigning and we lose it, then we didn't get enough IMO.
Apparently Washington doesn't have a 2018 2nd round pick to trade; it was acquired by Montreal in the Eller trade. So your question is a darn good one.

EDIT: And I need to learn how to read. This inquiry was already answered above by the incomparable theohall.
Last edited by Toasted Oates on Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2016-2017 LGB sponsor of your boy, goaltender Jake Allen and a center for Vladi Tarasenko (UPDATE: FOUND! Ryan O' Reilly. July 1, 2018).
2017-2018 LGB sponsor of a damn fine rearguard, Capt. Alex Pietrangelo.
2018-2019 LGB sponsor of the 2nd greatest Joel in Blues history, #6 Joel "Eddy" Edmundson.

goon attack
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by goon attack »

Toasted Oates wrote: TJ Oshie and Kevin Shattenkirk skating with Washington's 1st Stanley Cup would be the the cherry on top of the shit sundae that is Bluuuuues hockey.
Damn... if that happens, the asteroid needs to hit the (Franking) earth.
Official 2023-'24 Sponsor of: Dua Lipa, Craig Berube, and yoga pants

'22-'23: Kim Wexler; '21-'22: Slayyyter; '21: fat chicks and covid-19; '19-'20: Taco Bell's Spicy Tostada (discontinued); '18-'19: Bhad Bhabie; '17-'18 Pitbull.'16-'17: Donald J. Trump, Black Lives Matter, and Karlie Kloss; '15-'16: the Hadids; '14-'15: $17.8+ trillion U.S. national debt; '13-'14: another season of bitter disappointment; '13: communism; '11-'12: Vlad Sobotka and fake, drunken lesbianism; '10-'11: Ryan Reaves, Bo Derek's cans, Willow Palin, and the new Lightning logo; '09-'10: the epic destruction of the Politics Forum; '08-'09: Sandy Miller

Nyghtewynd
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by Nyghtewynd »

Still waiting for Army to do something competent after all these years, eh boys? :D
dhabums wrote:You and your buddies here are a joke and most of this site knows it.
Sponsor of Having A Real Good Time, Happy Pony, and all those who suffer from being right all the time.

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

Copley back to WAS also, clearing room for Husso to join the Wolves.

1st Rnd in 2017 for sure.
Conditional pick(s) still waiting for official word.

Hopefully, the conditionals are tied to games played/Caps playoff level and not to #22 re-signing with WAS. That's what what the conditional was in the Bishop deal.

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

I wish we had gotten a better prospect than somebody that has struggled in his brief time in the NHL. But I think this is a pretty solid return for 25 games of shattenkirk.
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2016-2017 Official LGB Sponsor of Dmitri Jaskin
2017-2018 Official LGB Sponsor of Jake Allen

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

Defenseman Kevin Shattenkirk was traded to the Washington Capitals by the St. Louis Blues on Monday.

The Blues will receive a first-round pick in the 2017 NHL Draft, a conditional second-round pick in 2019, an additional conditional pick, and forwards Zach Sanford and Brad Malone. The Capitals also acquired goaltender Pheonix Copley.

The conditions are insane. They range from how many games Shattenkirk plays and how far the Caps go in playoffs, to Caps trading Shattenkirk before Jul 1 and what they get in return, to whether Caps re-sign Shattenkirk. Lots of conditions.

2nd rounder in 2019 is if Caps reach ECF and #22 plays half the games, which he will.

Don't know all the conditions on the 3rd pick, but that's about the Caps re-signing/trading Shattenkirk before Jul 1

Malone is a 4th line F - can play C and W. Not done much with Col or Car in his 5 years in the league.

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

Okay - here are the conditions on the conditionals:

If WASH re-signs Shattenkirk OR advances to East Final+he plays in 50% of first two rounds, STL gets 2019 2nd rounder

If WASH trades him on/before July 1, STL gets a 7th round draft pick. However, should return be a 4th round pick or earlier then, instead of a 7th, STL gets next available pick two rounds later than the earliest pick received by WASH. For example, if WASH trades gets a 3rd for him, STL receives a 5th...Oh, and STL picks up 39 per cent of Shattenkirk's salary.

So it's basically Sanford, Malone, a 1st and a 2nd, because that 3rd conditional pick likely will never happen.

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

Last thing

Blues retain 39% of #22's salary - which isn't important at all, although the Blues arm chair GMs on Twitter seem to think it's a HORRIBLE THING DOUGIE ALLOWED, OMG OMG OMG

:aaaa: :okman:

It's actually meaningless in the big picture, because it disappears when this season ends and the Blues aren't buying right now. Armstrong was on record with this before the Chicago game.

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

Nyghtewynd wrote:Still waiting for Army to do something competent after all these years, eh boys? :D
Jesus, Shattenkirk was not going to be retained, repeat NOT going to be retained. The salary cap dictated that and we need to pay Parayko. We're eyeballs deep in d prospects and there's no way St. Louis is winning the Cup this year so you want to crucify Army for making something out of a lost cause? There's plenty he's done wrong and this isn't one of them.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

glen a richter wrote:
Nyghtewynd wrote:Still waiting for Army to do something competent after all these years, eh boys? :D
Jesus, Shattenkirk was not going to be retained, repeat NOT going to be retained. The salary cap dictated that and we need to pay Parayko. We're eyeballs deep in d prospects and there's no way St. Louis is winning the Cup this year so you want to crucify Army for making something out of a lost cause? There's plenty he's done wrong and this isn't one of them.
:plusplus:

KrustyKevo
3rd Line Grinder
3rd Line Grinder

Post by KrustyKevo »

Does anyone think we make any more trades before deadline tomorrow? Either to strengthen the team in the present or to build for the future?
“It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge. War endures. As well ask men what they think of stone. War was always here. Before man was, war waited for him. The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner. That is the way it was and will be. That way and not some other way.”

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

Highly doubtful there are any more trades before the deadline unless it's depth type deals to add draft picks or prospects. The Blues don't have the big pieces to move that other GMs would actually give things up for. Lehtera isn't a "help your team get better for the playoffs" center nor is Berglund. And that's the only two guys I see the Blues even trying to deal right now.

One other note, which I'm sure glen would point out, moving #22 opens a door for Vince Dunn who is playing outstanding for the Wolves right now.

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

The bitchfest about this trade on Facebook is unbelievable. People's expectations are insane.

I frankly think this is a good return. Malone was a toss in junk pick up, whatever. Most of what I've googled (ignoring the kool-aid drinkers) project this Sanford kid as a solid 3rd line player. What's wrong with that? We weren't getting a blue chip here people.

The only "negative" on the first rounder is that, yea, highly unlikely Washington loses in the first round of the playoffs and probably makes a strong play for the top 4 so it'll likely be a bottom feeder first round pick but hey! It's one more pick than we had and certainly better than the goose egg if Armstrong held onto him.

Husso must be instilling a lot of confidence in the Blues organ-eye-zation for Copley to be headed back to Washington too.

Whoever said it earlier in this thread nailed it on the head: From any trade partner perspective you're trading for a rental. You're not going to deal a blue chip prospect, it's going to be some combination of a mid level prospect with a first round pick + whatever other table scraps you can grab. Which is exactly what we got.

I'm fine with the trade.
Official 2021-2022 LGB Sponsor of Torey Krug
Official 2021 LGB Sponsor of Brayden Schenn
Official 2018-2019 LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2018 LGB Playoff Challenge Champ
Official 2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
Official 2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Scottie Upshall
Official 2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk

Kerfuffle
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by Kerfuffle »

KrustyKevo wrote:Does anyone think we make any more trades before deadline tomorrow? Either to strengthen the team in the present or to build for the future?
Teams are either buyers or sellers - by moving Shattenkirk yesterday it means Armstrong is a seller. So I wouldn't expect any trades to improve this year's team. Capitals are going to be tough to beat with Shatty now but they always implode in the playoffs. I still like the Penguins coming out of the East.

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

theohall wrote:Highly doubtful there are any more trades before the deadline unless it's depth type deals to add draft picks or prospects. The Blues don't have the big pieces to move that other GMs would actually give things up for. Lehtera isn't a "help your team get better for the playoffs" center nor is Berglund. And that's the only two guys I see the Blues even trying to deal right now.

One other note, which I'm sure glen would point out, moving #22 opens a door for Vince Dunn who is playing outstanding for the Wolves right now.
Agreed. I think this was the big move of the deadline. Maybe Armstrong picks up a depth D or depth forward for some garbage return (6th or 7th round pick or something) but I think that's about it.

Alright Parayko! That 2nd slot right D-man is all yours! Let's get it!

Lehtera could be one of those guys who we trade to the Coyotes/Golden Knights (teams with abundant cap space) with a draft pick just to shed the salary. 'Yotes are getting the venerable Chris Pronger and Pavel Datsyuk off their books this year, they're going to have more cap space than they know what to do with.

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

Kerfuffle wrote:
KrustyKevo wrote:Does anyone think we make any more trades before deadline tomorrow? Either to strengthen the team in the present or to build for the future?
Teams are either buyers or sellers - by moving Shattenkirk yesterday it means Armstrong is a seller. So I wouldn't expect any trades to improve this year's team. Capitals are going to be tough to beat with Shatty now but they always implode in the playoffs. I still like the Penguins coming out of the East.
Generally I would agree with you but Shatty was a very contract specific trade. Circumstances of the season play into it, sure, but I don't think it "announces" the Blues stance for the deadline.

I could see Armstrong getting some depth but I don't expect much more than that.

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

WaukeeBlues wrote:
Kerfuffle wrote:
Generally I would agree with you but Shatty was a very contract specific trade. Circumstances of the season play into it, sure, but I don't think it "announces" the Blues stance for the deadline.

I could see Armstrong getting some depth but I don't expect much more than that.
Yeah, agreed. We won't be making any win-now deals, but a minor move is possible. My guess is that we are done though.
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2016-2017 Official LGB Sponsor of Dmitri Jaskin
2017-2018 Official LGB Sponsor of Jake Allen