Why is Shattenkirk being moved?

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

Nyghtewynd
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Re: Why is Shattenkirk being moved?

Post by Nyghtewynd »

The salary cap wouldn't be an issue if Army hadn't kept giving terrible contracts and making terrible trades. But I'm sure season tickets for next year are still on sale, so good luck! :okman:
dhabums wrote:You and your buddies here are a joke and most of this site knows it.
Sponsor of Having A Real Good Time, Happy Pony, and all those who suffer from being right all the time.

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

Nyghtewynd wrote:The salary cap wouldn't be an issue if Army hadn't kept giving terrible contracts and making terrible trades. But I'm sure season tickets for next year are still on sale, so good luck! :okman:
I'm not sure that's entirely true. Yeah, he hasn't been perfect. But, we'd have to clear like 3 mil in cap space to extend Shatty. And, doing that would mean we'd have either Pietro, Shatty or Parayko playing 3rd pairing minutes while getting paid. It also would mean we'd be giving Shatty $7mil+ when he's not worth that. If he gave Shatty $7mil, we'd be (rightfully) criticizing Army for not having cap space to help our top 6 forwards. Like glen said, there are plenty of things to criticize Army for. This isn't one of them.
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2016-2017 Official LGB Sponsor of Dmitri Jaskin
2017-2018 Official LGB Sponsor of Jake Allen

Oaklandblue
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Oaklandblue »

I truly thought Army was going to let him walk. Figured at best we'd end up getting a First. I'm very happy for what we got back (Sanford is a solid, solid prospect and Malone iirc can swap between wing and centre) and losing Copley, well... we have Husso, if Husso got traded, I would have lost my s*it. Given the situation, I feel Army did fairly well. We haven't given up on this season, more that we decided to hold tightly onto resources and build up from within outwards (if that makes sense) is always the best course of action. After this season and the Expansion Draft, there will be a ton of players on sale and if Army can just dump trash contracts that we have, we could seriously boost up your chances greatly in the offseason.
2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Alexander Steen
2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Jaromir Jagr, Calgary Flames
2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Brian Elliott, Calgary Flames
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Ryan "Turn that leaf on the wind into a shrimp on the bar-bee" Reaves
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Obviously Not Steve Ott
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Steve "Chirps-A-Lot" Ott
2015 LGB Supporter of the New York Rangers
2014-2015 LGB Sponsor of Patrik "No-Timer" Berglund
2013-2014 LGB Sponsor of Derek "In The Middle" Roy
2012-2013 LGB Sponsor of Chris "NO SLEEP TIL THE CUP!" Stewart - Shhhhh!!!

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

tjk002 wrote:
theohall wrote:On Sanford from Hockey's Future
Sanford has the ideal frame for the NHL, already coming in at 6’4, 190 pounds. With a frame that size, he could stand to add a bit more strength and weight, making him even more difficult to play against in the future. For a big man, his skating is solid though unspectacular. Sanford possesses excellent vision and playmaking ability and has shown an ability to make those around him better. At 20 years old, he is still very raw, but has all the makings of the gem the Capitals envisioned when they took him in the second round back in 2013
Read more at http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospects/ ... yWmAxfX.99
Sounds like the C the Blues need for Tarasenko to explode.

However, he played 26 games for the Caps this season and did nothing 2G 1A averaging 10 mins per night in those 26.
Isn't he a winger?
Caps announcers just pointed out they expect to see Sanford playing up the middle for the Blues. He just couldn't crack the lineup at C for the Capitals due to their depth, so they had him playing LW.

He's a C, first.
Official LGB sponsor of Robert Thomas 2022-2023 Season

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

That blurb is two years old though, Sanford is 22 now.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

glen a richter wrote:That blurb is two years old though, Sanford is 22 now.
No, the Caps announcers just mentioned during the current Caps-Rags game that Sanford should be playing C, but couldn't crack the Caps lineup at C.

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

theohall wrote:
No, the Caps announcers just mentioned during the current Caps-Rags game that Sanford should be playing C, but couldn't crack the Caps lineup at C.
I meant the one from Hockey's Future.

Toasted Oates
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Why is Shattenkirk being moved?

Post by Toasted Oates »

theohall wrote:
And Armstrong said today he likes Thompson and Sanford down the middle for the next few years. Now granted that's Armstrong but I would agree that the intent seems to be playing him @ center.

Right now on the roster, though, you have 26/21/12/28 all playing that position (although 12 and 21 have played wing before). I'd rather give Barbashev or even Sanford a shot over Lehtera. Unfortunately Jori has been tough to usurp.
Last edited by Toasted Oates on Tue Feb 28, 2017 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2016-2017 LGB sponsor of your boy, goaltender Jake Allen and a center for Vladi Tarasenko (UPDATE: FOUND! Ryan O' Reilly. July 1, 2018).
2017-2018 LGB sponsor of a damn fine rearguard, Capt. Alex Pietrangelo.
2018-2019 LGB sponsor of the 2nd greatest Joel in Blues history, #6 Joel "Eddy" Edmundson.

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

I'm not especially optimistic about the long term benefits of playing a guy who has 3 career NHL points in 26 games, though I guess a lot of that can be attributed to his lack of minutes and playing wing instead of center. So I guess time will tell, but I'd rather see Thompson, Kyrou and Musil getting first crack since we're rebuilding anyway.

Toasted Oates
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by Toasted Oates »

Oh for sure and one always has to take what Armstrong says with a grain of salt. He seems enamored with Sanford's glory days as a center @ Boston College.

As you say, time will tell.
2016-2017 LGB sponsor of your boy, goaltender Jake Allen and a center for Vladi Tarasenko (UPDATE: FOUND! Ryan O' Reilly. July 1, 2018).
2017-2018 LGB sponsor of a damn fine rearguard, Capt. Alex Pietrangelo.
2018-2019 LGB sponsor of the 2nd greatest Joel in Blues history, #6 Joel "Eddy" Edmundson.

JCShutout
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by JCShutout »

Not happy that the 2nd isn't guaranteed, but it is what it is.

I'm excited to see what Sanford brings. I know he isn't the next Jagr, but he seems like a solid prospect. For those not happy with his NHL production, he's 22.
2021 Sponsor of Jordan Binnington
2016-17 Sponsor of David Perron
2015-16 Sponsor of Dmitri Jaškin

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

One thing the Blues have now is a bunch of C prospects.

Now if a couple of them will just pan out.

gaijin
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by gaijin »

Saw a blurb that the Caps' conditional 2nd round pick doesn't exist. If that is the case, does the league punish them for an "illegal" trade?

I think the Blues should be awarded the Capitals' 1st round pick for the next five seasons as compensation. :okman:

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

gaijin wrote:Saw a blurb that the Caps' conditional 2nd round pick doesn't exist. If that is the case, does the league punish them for an "illegal" trade?

I think the Blues should be awarded the Capitals' 1st round pick for the next five seasons as compensation. :okman:
The conditional 2nd round pick is 2019, not 2018.

2018 2nd Rd conditional pick was mentioned in all of the "unofficial" reports. That is the pick which belongs to MTL from the Eller trade. When the official report came out, the 2nd round conditional is from 2019, not 2018.

Although, five 1st round picks would be nice.