Sobotka Returning With an Extension?

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Sobotka Returning With an Extension?

Post by cardsfan04 »

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/hockey/p ... fd68e.html

With his KHL season over, sounds like he is coming back this season. And Blues are apparently willing to use up their 1 year of control on a week plus playoffs because they might have an extension. Like all things Sobotka, I'll fully believe it when I actually see him playing here, but seems possible.
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2016-2017 Official LGB Sponsor of Dmitri Jaskin
2017-2018 Official LGB Sponsor of Jake Allen

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Re: Sobotka Returning With an Extension?

Post by theohall »

cardsfan04 wrote:http://www.stltoday.com/sports/hockey/p ... fd68e.html

With his KHL season over, sounds like he is coming back this season. And Blues are apparently willing to use up their 1 year of control on a week plus playoffs because they might have an extension. Like all things Sobotka, I'll fully believe it when I actually see him playing here, but seems possible.
He'd be a better option at C than Lehtera, at least. One big problem... the Blues currently only have 1.184M in cap space. Sobotka's salary under that contract is 2.275M. Room has to be made. Even if he signs an extension, that doesn't affect this year's cap space. Waiving Yakupov would fix this. :)
Official LGB sponsor of Robert Thomas 2022-2023 Season

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

theohall wrote:

He'd be a better option at C than Lehtera, at least. One big problem... the Blues currently only have 1.184M in cap space. Sobotka's salary under that contract is 2.275M. Room has to be made. Even if he signs an extension, that doesn't affect this year's cap space. Waiving Yakupov would fix this. :)
Twitter seems to think that the contract is prorated based on games played, so it won't be a cap issue. Either way, definitely a better option than Lehtera.

gaijin
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by gaijin »

cardsfan04 wrote:
theohall wrote:

Twitter seems to think that the contract is prorated based on games played, so it won't be a cap issue. Either way, definitely a better option than Lehtera.
Better option, sure. Will Yeo see it that way?

Are we really sure all this Sobotka drama is worth it?

evil roy
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by evil roy »

Looks like the deed is done. 10.5 mil for three years.

Linky
Official 2018-19 LGB Sponsor of Patrick Maroon
Official 2017-18 LGB Sponsor of Robby Fabbri's ACL
Official 2016-17 LGB Sponsor of Paul Stastny
Official 2015-16 LGB sponsor of Alexander (There is no "I" in) Steen

Toasted Oates
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by Toasted Oates »

3rd line centers for dayzzzz and a lot of coin invested in said 3rd line centers. Good one, Doug.
2016-2017 LGB sponsor of your boy, goaltender Jake Allen and a center for Vladi Tarasenko (UPDATE: FOUND! Ryan O' Reilly. July 1, 2018).
2017-2018 LGB sponsor of a damn fine rearguard, Capt. Alex Pietrangelo.
2018-2019 LGB sponsor of the 2nd greatest Joel in Blues history, #6 Joel "Eddy" Edmundson.

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

Lehtera may suck, but Armstrong is a freakin' moron for this move. Let's be realistic. We have center depth forever because of last years draft. Even if only Thompson and Kyrou pan out (which is likely to be the case), there's still also Lehtera who they'll probably never get rid of, Barbashev, Stastny, Brodziak, now Sobotka for three more years? What the hell is he doing? As usual, he's addressing a non-need, just like he did when he traded for Ryan Flippin' Miller. Is this the Blues credo? Always do deals that don't need to be done?
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

glen a richter wrote:Lehtera may suck, but Armstrong is a freakin' moron for this move. Let's be realistic. We have center depth forever because of last years draft. Even if only Thompson and Kyrou pan out (which is likely to be the case), there's still also Lehtera who they'll probably never get rid of, Barbashev, Stastny, Brodziak, now Sobotka for three more years? What the hell is he doing? As usual, he's addressing a non-need, just like he did when he traded for Ryan Flippin' Miller. Is this the Blues credo? Always do deals that don't need to be done?
I'm on the fence about the move, but I don't think this will be the reason the move is bad if it turns out that way.

-Lehtera is only here 1 more season, and that assumes they don't buy him out this offseason (and I don't see how they don't buy him out)
-Brodziak is gone after next year
-Stastny's contract is done after next year. I could see him moving on for business reasons.
-Of the draft picks, for most of them it would be nearing the end of his contract before they are ready to play here, which would be after Brodziak, Lehtera, etc. have moved on.

Why we're paying a 3rd line center $3.5 mil when we have cap issues, OTOH, I'm not too sure on.

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

cardsfan04 wrote:$3.5 mil
That's what bugs me. 3.5 mil for 25 points a year?? Really??? Classic over-paying. They should have had him play out his contract and if he produced, then worry about an extension based on performance. Basically, Sobotka won the arbitration over the long term with the Blues giving him the contract he wanted in the first place.

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

I forgot Glenn Gawdin and Adam Musil who are also both shaping up nicely as possible 2nd or 3rd line centers. I just don't see where this was necessary for anything other than the remainder of this season. I'm not against Sobotka playing for the team again this year, I'm just confused why there had to be a 3 year extension, and like was said already, why it was for so much money.

flyingnote38
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by flyingnote38 »

theohall wrote:

Isn't the cap basically irrelevant after the deadline?
2016-7 sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2017-8 sponsor of Tage Thompson
2018-9 sponsor of Ryan O'Reilly
2019-20 sponsor of old time hockey
2020-21 sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2021-22 sponsor of Pavel Buchnevich
2022-23 sponsor of Brayden Schenn
2023-24 sponsor of Justin Faulk

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

Yeah, I was wrong. Wasn't the first time, won't be the last.

Consider - Sobotka is going to be making more per season than Berglund and Sobotka's total career goals is 29. Horribly over-paid.

gaijin
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by gaijin »

Expansion draft bait?

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

gaijin wrote:Expansion draft bait?
That doesn't make sense. Why would Vegas want a guy whose scored 29 career goals at 3.5M per season? It's almost like Armstrong over-paid on purpose to ensure he wouldn't be taken.

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

Armstrong overpaid because that's his thing. I wonder how they'll manage enough money to pay Parayko. I'm sure the loser of the Shattenkirk sweepstakes would love to offer sheet young Colton away from us since we won't be able to match.

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

glen a richter wrote:I wonder how they'll manage enough money to pay Parayko.
Buy out Lehtera. Problem solved.

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

When is Parayko up for a new contract? If it's not this season, Stastny's $7 mil will be off the books which frees up a ton of money. Army does some questionable things, and maybe this is one of them. But, I can't imagine Sobotka being the difference between keeping and losing Parayko.

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

cardsfan04 wrote:When is Parayko up for a new contract? If it's not this season, Stastny's $7 mil will be off the books which frees up a ton of money. Army does some questionable things, and maybe this is one of them. But, I can't imagine Sobotka being the difference between keeping and losing Parayko.
Parayko is an RFA after this season. I would expect his contract to be the equivalent of what Shattenkirk was being paid which wound up being around a 4M/yr cap hit.\

Not that worried since Yakupov's 2.5M goes away and I highly doubt he is re-signed by the Blues.

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

Sobotka's 3.5M/yr reward for these Career Statistics

<sarcasm>Given what Reaves has done this season, Army should be paying him the same.</sarcasm>

gaijin
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by gaijin »

Someone told Army that Sobotka's 35 NHL goals in a cumulative career total, not per season, right? That's a lot to pay a guy who scores less than 10 a year.