ROUND TWO: M1 Washington v M2 Pittsburgh

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

sseagle
All-Star
All-Star

ROUND TWO: M1 Washington v M2 Pittsburgh

Post by sseagle »

1 @Washington
2 @Washington
3 @Pittsburgh
4 @Pittsburgh
5 @Washington
6 @Pittsburgh
7 @Washington
Last edited by sseagle on Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Official Chatzy Sponsor Extraordinaire - Just wait till we score four...

Official Sponsor of FlashChat.. why am I alone still?

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Re: ROUND TWO: M1 Washington/WC2 Toronto v M2 Pittsburgh

Post by glen a richter »

Toronto had a valiant run, but it's over. Washington/Pittsburgh and the Caps will win.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Re: ROUND TWO: M1 Washington v M2 Pittsburgh

Post by WaukeeBlues »

This series is going to be nasty and wonderful to watch. Very excited to see what happens.

Caps either exorcise their demons or fail yet again. Man oh man.

Assuming the Caps take the series I wonder if there's not an emotional let down heading into the ECF from them. We shall see.
Official 2021-2022 LGB Sponsor of Torey Krug
Official 2021 LGB Sponsor of Brayden Schenn
Official 2018-2019 LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2018 LGB Playoff Challenge Champ
Official 2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
Official 2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Scottie Upshall
Official 2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk

Kerfuffle
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by Kerfuffle »

Pitt in 6

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

The difference maker in this series is the number of ex-Blues. Naturally Shattenkirk, Oshie and Eller will hoist the Cup first.

Kerfuffle
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by Kerfuffle »

glen a richter wrote:The difference maker in this series is the number of ex-Blues. Naturally Shattenkirk, Oshie and Eller will hoist the Cup first.
I'm off track here but your post reminds me of the ex-Cubs factor. Ever hear of it? It was a legend here in Chicago - basically the 2 teams in the World Series that had the most ex-Cubs lost the series. Someone actually researched it (Mike Royko) and it was correct in like 65 out of 67 years of World Series in which the losing team had 3 or more ex-Cubs. I know it doesn't apply to ex-Blues players but I thought I'd interject it here cause I always found the ex-Cubs factor to be one of those strange things that I was sad about but also amused by.

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

Kerfuffle wrote:
glen a richter wrote:The difference maker in this series is the number of ex-Blues. Naturally Shattenkirk, Oshie and Eller will hoist the Cup first.
I'm off track here but your post reminds me of the ex-Cubs factor. Ever hear of it? It was a legend here in Chicago - basically the 2 teams in the World Series that had the most ex-Cubs lost the series. Someone actually researched it (Mike Royko) and it was correct in like 65 out of 67 years of World Series in which the losing team had 3 or more ex-Cubs. I know it doesn't apply to ex-Blues players but I thought I'd interject it here cause I always found the ex-Cubs factor to be one of those strange things that I was sad about but also amused by.
Actually, a bunch of ex-Blues have won Stanley Cups. You might be on to something.

Hull, Shanahan, Pronger, Joe Mullen, Doug Gilmour, Rob Ramage, Rick Wamsley, Ric Nattress, Scott Stevens, Ian Cole, and the list goes on and on... Do I have to mention the 4 coaches who won Stanley Cups after they left St Louis (Bowman, Arbour, Demers, and Quenneville) or Glen Sather who won as coach with Edmonton and is a former Blues player. Last season, both Stanley Cup finalists had former Blues players - Cole for the Penguins and Polak for San Jose. Once the 2016 Conference Finals hit, a Blues or ex-Blues player was guaranteed to reach the Finals, because Bishop was playing for Tampa.

Following this theory, the Rangers, Senators, Ducks and Predators are screwed - unless Nashville recalls Brad Hunt, then they have a chance. ;)
Official LGB sponsor of Robert Thomas 2022-2023 Season

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

Penguins own the Capitals. Pittsburgh could call up their AHL team and still win. At least that's how it seems.

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

Washington was up 2-0 with 2 minutes to go in the 3rd and it went to OT. I thought for sure that Pittsburgh was going to win at that point. Still hoping for Washington to pull this out so we get a better draft pick, but doesn't look great.
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2016-2017 Official LGB Sponsor of Dmitri Jaskin
2017-2018 Official LGB Sponsor of Jake Allen

gaijin
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by gaijin »

cardsfan04 wrote:Washington was up 2-0 with 2 minutes to go in the 3rd and it went to OT. I thought for sure that Pittsburgh was going to win at that point. Still hoping for Washington to pull this out so we get a better draft pick, but doesn't look great.
Shattenkirk with the OT winner, following some bad press stating he has not lived up to expectations.

It will be interesting to see if Crosby comes back, and how Pittsburgh performs if he doesn't.

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

gaijin wrote:
cardsfan04 wrote:Washington was up 2-0 with 2 minutes to go in the 3rd and it went to OT. I thought for sure that Pittsburgh was going to win at that point. Still hoping for Washington to pull this out so we get a better draft pick, but doesn't look great.
Shattenkirk with the OT winner, following some bad press stating he has not lived up to expectations.

It will be interesting to see if Crosby comes back, and how Pittsburgh performs if he doesn't.
Shattenkirk, until that OT winner, hadn't provided the offense from D which was supposed to help them vs the Penguins while being a defensive liability. Been saying it for awhile - Shattenkirk is a great offensive defenseman, but if forced to actually play defense, he will hurt you more than help you. That's what the Penguins were forcing in 5-on-5 play. The "bad press" was deserved based on results and what could be considered lazy defensive play with Shattenkirk flipping pucks out of the zone, repeatedly (eventually leading to a delay of game when the flip went bad), when he's had time and space to skate the puck out, instead of just giving it away with the flip.

ComradeT
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by ComradeT »

Crosby out of game 4 with a concussion. If you can't beat them, beat them up.
2018 - 2019 Official sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
2017 - 2018 Official sponsor of Joel "Top Shelf" Edmundson
2016 - 2017 Official sponsor of Nail "THE YAK" Yakupov

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

ComradeT wrote:Crosby out of game 4 with a concussion. If you can't beat them, beat them up.
Sounds like the approach Fiddler tried to take with Parayko.

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

Trotz is screwing the Capitals strategically this series. All season the Caps rolled 4 lines and did so very effectively. Now, they are dressing 7 defenseman every night which means they are rolling 3 lines with someone double shifting when the 4th hits the ice. It's not working. Don't change what worked, until it doesn't work. The big gripe for the Caps last season vs the Pens - they didn't have the forward depth to keep up. So, they make some deals, build a 4 line team specifically to prep for the Penguins, then don't use it when they play the Penguins. Brilliant!!!

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

I, for one, am glad this series doesn't look like it's going 7. Pittsburgh needs to retain as much energy and health as possible so they can thoroughly dismantle the Rangers in the ECF. Had this one gone 7, I'd think either team would be too broken down to compete against the Rags.

Irish Blues
2nd Line Scorer
2nd Line Scorer

Post by Irish Blues »

Going 7, unless Pittsburgh pulls an all-time miracle comeback in the final 4:15. Caps have absolutely lit up the Pens, picking spots high and making them count + Fleury gaffing on the 2nd goal
"You better get busy living, because dying's a pain in the ass." -- Frank Sinatra

Toasted Oates
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by Toasted Oates »

Obviously anything can happen in a Game 7 and the Caps have a checkered past, but holy hell.....they looked spectacular tonight. Couldn't take my eyes away; just beautiful dominance.

That'll be quite the tilt Wednesday night.
2016-2017 LGB sponsor of your boy, goaltender Jake Allen and a center for Vladi Tarasenko (UPDATE: FOUND! Ryan O' Reilly. July 1, 2018).
2017-2018 LGB sponsor of a damn fine rearguard, Capt. Alex Pietrangelo.
2018-2019 LGB sponsor of the 2nd greatest Joel in Blues history, #6 Joel "Eddy" Edmundson.

Irish Blues
2nd Line Scorer
2nd Line Scorer

Post by Irish Blues »

Well, they got 2 of the 5 back.

Game 7, Wednesday night. Be there, or miss out.
"You better get busy living, because dying's a pain in the ass." -- Frank Sinatra

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

Oshie's PPG in the 1st period - that's the PP setup the Blues ran with Fabbri/Brouwer that was so effective in '15-'16. Too bad our current coach doesn't seem to understand the concept of setting up a right hand shot in front in that same position with Stastny/Sobotka/Steen dealing from the RW goal line.

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

Toasted Oates wrote:Obviously anything can happen in a Game 7 and the Caps have a checkered past, but holy hell.....they looked spectacular tonight. Couldn't take my eyes away; just beautiful dominance.

That'll be quite the tilt Wednesday night.
They've been the better team most of this series, they just weren't getting it on the scoreboard.

I say 65/35 the Caps win game 7. I just can't see them coming all the way back like this, at home, only to lose.
Official 2021-2022 LGB Sponsor of Torey Krug
Official 2021 LGB Sponsor of Brayden Schenn
Official 2018-2019 LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2018 LGB Playoff Challenge Champ
Official 2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
Official 2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Scottie Upshall
Official 2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk